Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Ruggan posted:

ok but what about 100,001 years ago? I bet he chose that cutoff point to hide the data that shows that this is just a return to normal and there’s nothing to worry about

https://twitter.com/jakalfayan/status/1678897337559654400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's truly an honor to be part of the last generation that gets to live anything close to a normal lifespan

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

ok but what about 5,000,001 years ago? I bet he chose that cutoff point to hide the data that shows that this is just a return to normal and there’s nothing to worry about

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

triple sulk posted:

It's truly an honor to be part of the last generation that gets to live anything close to a normal lifespan

same. Plus we have helldivers

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Microplastics posted:

My favourite bit is the guy standing up and raising his arms even though it's not required, because he's just so gosh darn excited to be saying one of his favourite brands out loud

I thought part of the patent included Kinect style sensors

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

TeenageArchipelago posted:

rebirth too

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

triple sulk posted:

rebirth too

lolling at the new dialogue that really hammers in the same ecocide fervour we have here. There’s a bit in the Gold Saucer where Barret literally exclaims how we’re killing the planet by sucking the life force out for plastic tat and novelty experiences. Ctrl+F all instances of “mako” and replace with “fossil fuels” and we on track.

It. Owns.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

shadow of the erdtree, dragons dogma, helldivers, dune... it's a good time to lol lmao while number goes up

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

lolling at the new dialogue that really hammers in the same ecocide fervour we have here. There’s a bit in the Gold Saucer where Barret literally exclaims how we’re killing the planet by sucking the life force out for plastic tat and novelty experiences. Ctrl+F all instances of “mako” and replace with “fossil fuels” and we on track.

It. Owns.

he didn't say planet's dyin' cloud verbatim, but it was close enough

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

triple sulk posted:

not the way I'm eating

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i chose a weird time to stop eating meat

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

going to convert my home heating to be based on bitcoin mining. Going to set up a two step water heater, one as the main heat sink reservoir for the mining rig, and then a heat pump to pull the heat from that to a water heater actually connected to the plumbing. Maybe set up a floor heating system too. Not like anything can get worse might as well get wild with it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

cash crab posted:

i chose a weird time to stop eating meat

Dinnertime?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

It. Owns.

careful there, you're playing with fire; openly supporting a terrorist organization like avalanche is probably gonna get you banned

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I did something similar back when crypto was a novelty and nobody had really grappled with the environmental costs. My apartment was shoddily insulated and I needed a space heater in the winter, so I figured "if I'm burning electricity to make heat resistively, why not get something back out of it?" So I'd leave my computer mining overnight. Then I did the math and realized I was technically making money, sure, but on the scale of a few cents a day, but that immediately disappeared when I thought about wear and tear on my computer.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Going back for more C

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
there was a guy in the toronto lan thread that had free power with his apartment because it wasn’t separately metered so he made quite a bit of money mining for awhile lol

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

going to convert my home heating to be based on bitcoin mining. Going to set up a two step water heater, one as the main heat sink reservoir for the mining rig, and then a heat pump to pull the heat from that to a water heater actually connected to the plumbing. Maybe set up a floor heating system too. Not like anything can get worse might as well get wild with it

Hot air balloon commuting that pays ME?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
my favorite in that same vein was libertarians getting roommates who they'd split the power bill 50/50 with before mining tons of crypto for cheaper than normal. when their roommate would ask what the gently caress is going on, they'd explain that everyone entered in that contract of their own free will and therefore it's not just a way to steal from them

kinda like how businesses try to make as many things as possible into externalities so other people get to pay for it, now that i think about it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

my favorite in that same vein was libertarians getting roommates who they'd split the power bill 50/50 with before mining tons of crypto for cheaper than normal. when their roommate would ask what the gently caress is going on, they'd explain that everyone entered in that contract of their own free will and therefore it's not just a way to steal from them

kinda like how businesses try to make as many things as possible into externalities so other people get to pay for it, now that i think about it

The free market solution is just to build a bitcoin mining rig 10x the power of the roommates and make your money back that way.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I liked the guy who was mining bitcoin in his room without any ventilation or cooling and it got so hot he got heatstroke and ended up with brain damage. dedication to the grindset

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

*stroking out, covered in sweat*

b-Bitcoin will fix t-this

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Theoretically would an EMP or big enough solar flare be capable of slowing climate change at this point or is the train already off the tracks?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Theoretically would an EMP or big enough solar flare be capable of slowing climate change at this point or is the train already off the tracks?

It would make it go faster

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

a gamma ray burst might stop it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

there are hundreds of years of warming baked in

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

dude the train has been barrel-rolling down the hill for decades now, the track is a distant memory

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
mildly barrel-rolling down the hill

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

MightyBigMinus posted:

that wouldn't even come close

fun fact, it was actually a soviet professor that outlined the planet, solar system and galactic scales of energy consumption that civilizations would attain 'based on the axiom of exponential growth'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

destroying earth is just getting started

oh of course, i just mean capitalism would be satisfied with the earth. capitalism is destined to achieve cosmological hegemony as the only force known not be subject to the second law of thermodynamics. as we all know, economic growth, and therefore profit, is unbounded. the invisible hand of the free market weaves the very fabric of space-time.

all im saying is we should speed things up a bit and build the jupiter pipeline to fuel a megascale fusion torch and just blast this bitch until we drain the bringer of jollity down to its metallic hydrogen core. the sooner all chemistry ceases to occur here the better.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Liberalishly: You don't have any evidence that you can't grow the economy infinitely while living inside a snowglobe. What about new technologies?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Salt Fish posted:

Liberalishly: You don't have any evidence that you can't grow the economy infinitely while living inside a snowglobe. What about new technologies?

2040's slime mold industry is looking up up up

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

economic activity is limited only by available floor space, as most activity occurs indoors.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

plastic recycling
https://i.imgur.com/qbaoe1r.mp4

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Sacrificing hands to the fire gods in exchange for chairs

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I keep screaming "more petroleum" at my guys but the colony is still collapsing?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Salt Fish posted:

I saw a YouTube where a guy made a completely enclosed terrarium that survived for a super long time, like decades. I’m sure if we started a fire inside of it that burned forever it would continue to be fine

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Nice, I always wondered how our ice cube trays and silverware drawer liners were made

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the best part of that video is that they are powering the plastic melting tube with burning plastic. it really is a miracle material

Dead forum user
Oct 1, 2021
Happy to learn my plastic chair is actually very sustainable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Crazypoops posted:

I keep screaming "more petroleum" at my guys but the colony is still collapsing?

is this oxygen not included? because it sounds a lot like many of my oxygen not included runs