Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game is unexpectedly funny

Like I know remake had its funny moments but I’m laughing out loud at lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

If you got a free full heal it would make an already easy fight trivial on Hard Mode.

Also like 'I have to use a potion' being 'bungled completely' is bewildering to me. Like 'there are multiple boss fights in a row and you don't get a free full heal between each one is such a basic video game thing I'm not sure why it is giving you so much trouble. I could understand if you were locked ala FFT into that specific fight but even if you lose you can choose to backtrack if you REALLY find yourself stuck.

Like The Rufus fight has one noteworthy gimmick, that you have to wait to attack him until he's vulnerable, but almost all of his attacks can be avoided and the few that can't do very small amounts of damage unless you're not blocking. Once you actually damage him you can chain combo him for tons of damage as long as you're keeping an eye on his animations and avoiding his counterattack. Even on Hard Mode you can get him down to the Dark Nation phase in like 2-3 combos, and if you're able to time Braver property to insta-stagger him then you can do it in 1.

It's bungled completely because it's an extremely good and abstractly extremely fun encounter positioned in the game in such a way as to maximise the chances that anyone coming into it for the first time will have the worst possible time with it and come away hating it. It is the worst possible context in the game for a gimmick encounter like this, because as you observe if you know and engage maximally with the gimmick you can turn the whole fight around on a dime but if you don't - and people won't - then you are being faced with a wall of bullshit at your most vulnerable, and the HP thing adds an extra knife twist of making your previous victory feel like a failure instead of a victory, and punishes you with extra busywork before each retry. This doesn't consume much time but does maximise how bad it feels.

I need you to understand that I have no complaint whatsoever about the fight in a vacuum, but if you position an extraordinary fight in a game in a way that makes people hate it (you will observe that a lot of people who loved the same fight in Remake hated it here!) you aren't just doing bad game design, you are turning good game into bad game, which is why I class it as the most complete possible failure. I would love to replay this fight a bunch as a regular simulator fight with a stable start point.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I could never hit him while he reloaded, so I just held out for limit breaks.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The made the dolphin into a minigame too huh lmfao incredible.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Why the hell is endgame so long? I was expecting some light dungeoning and the final boss gauntlet, not something of a similar size to the Shinra building of the last game.

That "+" in the PS5's 2+ hours left to go in the chapter estimation is doing some heavy lifting because it's stayed that high for the last 3 hours.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Not only was the last dungeon pretty overlong, I still somehow managed to miss treasure in it despite being fairly thorough. What was that yellow materia on a ledge I could see but somehow missed my chance to reach :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

It's bungled completely because it's an extremely good and abstractly extremely fun encounter positioned in the game in such a way as to maximise the chances that anyone coming into it for the first time will have the worst possible time with it and come away hating it. It is the worst possible context in the game for a gimmick encounter like this, because as you observe if you know and engage maximally with the gimmick you can turn the whole fight around on a dime but if you don't - and people won't - then you are being faced with a wall of bullshit at your most vulnerable, and the HP thing adds an extra knife twist of making your previous victory feel like a failure instead of a victory, and punishes you with extra busywork before each retry. This doesn't consume much time but does maximise how bad it feels.

I need you to understand that I have no complaint whatsoever about the fight in a vacuum, but if you position an extraordinary fight in a game in a way that makes people hate it (you will observe that a lot of people who loved the same fight in Remake hated it here!) you aren't just doing bad game design, you are turning good game into bad game, which is why I class it as the most complete possible failure. I would love to replay this fight a bunch as a regular simulator fight with a stable start point.

I feel like I'm missing something drastic here. You're not being caught off guard by a challenge as you leave Victory Road or anything. You fight two bosses in a row. That's it. (I guess 3 if you count the one beforehand where you get a chance to heal/resupply/restock.) You're being asked to fight two bosses in a row. And we're not even talking like Dark Souls Sister Friede level stuff here. It's a boss fight followed by another boss fight. The second boss fight has a gimmick but the gimmick is the modern-day version of "don't attack while its tail is up"

(Also people complained about the similar fight in Remake a whole ton. Go look at the Remake thread if you don't believe me. )

Edit: Honestly like... I don't get it. You don't even have to refight the previous boss! You can just retry the fight again! If you mess up a gimmick or misunderstand a boss and die then you try again. That isn't a game being unfair or unreasonable!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 9, 2024

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Not only was the last dungeon pretty overlong, I still somehow managed to miss treasure in it despite being fairly thorough. What was that yellow materia on a ledge I could see but somehow missed my chance to reach :negative:
I have also managed to miss that materia specifically.

Judging by the amount of peoples endgame weapons I've found, I should be 2/3rds of the way through it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It loving rules how Cait Sith is just... around. No one quite knows why they keep letting this weird robot cat hang around and no one really trusts him, either

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
He's the dickhead mate you love to beat the poo poo out of at pool

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I said come in! posted:

have you discovered any fun things you can do with it?

You can throw it on one of your bench warmers to get functionally unlimited MP for healing between fights.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

It loving rules how Cait Sith is just... around. No one quite knows why they keep letting this weird robot cat hang around and no one really trusts him, either

Berett has his doubts, but that goes without saying, he doesn't trust anyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

He basically is a tag-along who is so enthusiastic nobody has the heart to tell him no. It's really adorable honestly.

Reeve is such a dork.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just landed a perfect score on Aerith’s Theme and the only thing I feel right now is :cry: :cry: :cry: how loving dare you game :cry: :cry: :cry:.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arist posted:

Just found the HP <-> MP Materia and lmao this is way funnier than how it worked in the original game

I'm wondering about this.Does it transfer based on %? Like if you have half hp it only transfers to half MP? Because from what folks posted about hard mode it seems like you could put this on, get a ton of mp, then take it off. Your MP will be capped off and you can just heal at a regular bench or inn to get the HP back.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Jimbot posted:

I'm wondering about this.Does it transfer based on %? Like if you have half hp it only transfers to half MP? Because from what folks posted about hard mode it seems like you could put this on, get a ton of mp, then take it off. Your MP will be capped off and you can just heal at a regular bench or inn to get the HP back.

It's just the number. So if you have 6000 HP and 85 MP and equip the materia you'll have 85/85 HP and 85/6000 MP. You have to rest to get the whole MP bar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

End of chapter 11 heavy spoilers: I’m done with the region so I called a plane to fly off to the Gold Saucer and WHAT THE gently caress WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE VINCENT

Edit: jesus loving christ I just realized something.

We have the entire party now.

:dogcited:

they’re playing the music aaaaaaaaaa

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 9, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just realized that in chapter 1, when you visit Tifa's house, she has a really cute Moogle plushie. And then there are the moogles in the rest of the game. What the gently caress?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

I said come in! posted:

I just realized that in chapter 1, when you visit Tifa's house, she has a really cute Moogle plushie. And then there are the moogles in the rest of the game. What the gently caress?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I completely cleared everything through to the end of Corel and most of Gongaga but navigating the following areas sucks so bad I’m just gonna mainline the story.

The maps suck and using them to find your way to anything around the outskirts is just not worth it. I’ll wrap the story up then maybe follow some videos to find my way to the last few things I need in each zone.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Arist posted:

At first he was just an overly involved park employee and then he came with the truck. Nothing weird about that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Accidentally entered a chain of quests where somehow I have “fought” 3 card game players in a row. This was an rpg right (I love the card game)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I said come in! posted:

this implies people in-universe can see how ugly the moogles are and they made cuter, marketable designs for the plushies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

End Chapter 9 - They dealt with the "Cloud pushing Tifa" stuff better than I expected by acting having Cloud confess to being hosed up (I think it's the first time he's acknowledged that in the Remake games?).

Those events also seem to support my theory that Sephiroth is trying to "resurrect within Cloud." Especially the part where Cloud literally starts fighting exactly like Sephiroth for a bit. He has a foothold in Cloud's mind via his presence in Cloud's memories + maybe Jenova cell stuff, and is trying to gradually mold Cloud into a state where he can fully resurrect (that's another R-word that could be in the third game, I guess). No idea why he'd need Cloud specifically for that, though, since it's seemingly doable with the other Sephiroth copies (black robes) as well. I guess it could just be the simple fact that the black robe guys are all experiencing degradation?

I think that "Cloud fighting like Sephiroth" segment might also be the first one where it's made directly clear that Cloud is straight-up killing/maiming guys in combat? Like you could infer that from the "fighting with a giant sword" stuff, but JRPGs usually keep that kind of thing abstract (like Rean in the Cold Steel games somehow fighting with a katana and not killing/maiming people).

Now it's time to do a bunch of loving around with side-quests and world stuff in Gongaga. Hopefully navigation isn't as confusing as it seems like it might be with the Chocobo stuff, since it seems like there's no reliable way to know where you'll be landing after taking a mushroom.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

My favourite thing about the Gongaga mushrooms is how some of them shoot you to the other side of the map and some of them shoot you about 5 ft and there's no way to know.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Me? Gongaga

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

It genuinely rules how much like in the OG Cait (and Yuffie really) are party members that just kinda tag along without a real good reason for it. It kinda goes against AAA design philosophy but yeah a random weirdo can totally join your team to save the world based mostly on finding you guys interesting and that's just how it works sometimes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not the type to 100% any game really, but it's kind of making me sad that I enjoy this game the most when I actively engage with it the least and essentially just rush to the next cutscene. I don't care much for the open world stuff at all, and it's not that I don't like open world games in general because I played Xenoblade 3 this year and loved it; this one just kind of feels bad to traverse. When the story beats hit it's still fun, so I'm sure I'll beat the game, but I went a few days without playing before deciding I needed to dramatically cut back on the side stuff. At some point it almost just feels like I should have watched the game on youtube instead or something.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm not the type to 100% any game really, but it's kind of making me sad that I enjoy this game the most when I actively engage with it the least and essentially just rush to the next cutscene. I don't care much for the open world stuff at all, and it's not that I don't like open world games in general because I played Xenoblade 3 this year and loved it; this one just kind of feels bad to traverse. When the story beats hit it's still fun, so I'm sure I'll beat the game, but I went a few days without playing before deciding I needed to dramatically cut back on the side stuff. At some point it almost just feels like I should have watched the game on youtube instead or something.

Kinda what I've been doing lately. I did find myself getting bored with the open world Junon stuff but eventually something clicked enough to get me to do some of it and then just push story. I just got on to the Shinra-8 and it's been pretty good so far. For now I'm also skipping Queen's Blood, I do enjoy the game but I just want to do that stuff later.

Anyways, about the boat. I don't remember this from the OG but with the black robes did they show up this much in the game during this part and if they did does no one ever mention anything about them? No one is creeped out by them or anything at this point.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I want more Queen's Blood, 3 or 4 games per chapter is not enough

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Everything in Upper Junon was great

Hell, everything in Junon was great

Hell, everything has been great … the open world is awesome

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Dumb question, when you do the Shinra manor dungeon, at the very end of it, is there anything down the little hallway to Sephiroth's reading room? I went the other path first and Cloud's dumb brain programming took over and led me into the cutscene and I got locked out. Did I miss any items/lore by not checking the long hallway first?

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 9, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Skeezy posted:

Anyways, about the boat. I don't remember this from the OG but with the black robes did they show up this much in the game during this part and if they did does no one ever mention anything about them? No one is creeped out by them or anything at this point.

The black robes appear way less in the OG, but are still around. This part of the game is more driven by chasing rumors of someone matching Sephiroth's description across the world, who is literally Jenova assuming his form as it moves towards the Northern Crater.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It genuinely rules how much like in the OG Cait (and Yuffie really) are party members that just kinda tag along without a real good reason for it. It kinda goes against AAA design philosophy but yeah a random weirdo can totally join your team to save the world based mostly on finding you guys interesting and that's just how it works sometimes.

the key point of yuffie's characterization is that she's not really following the same story as the rest of the party and they nailed that even if she is slightly less of a horrid klepto gremlin

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

They really managed to find the very, very thin line where allowing the world's worst member and a dude who is completely untrustworthy join the party barely makes sense because while supremely annoying, yuffie has skills and caith sid has intel and insider knowledge.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

the key point of yuffie's characterization is that she's not really following the same story as the rest of the party and they nailed that even if she is slightly less of a horrid klepto gremlin

It also helps that shortly after she joins the party they start tying her to the gang in ways outside of connection to the main plot. They do a pretty good job of building her relationship with Barret right as you get to Corel so even though she probably doesn't know what a Sephiroth is you get the sense that she is genuinely invested in the party and what they're up to even if its still kind of as a means to an end.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm about minigame'd out so I think I'll leave maxing out all the Gold Saucer stuff for later. After all there's some things that I can't even finish right now anyway.

The eventual crossover between FF7R and FFXIV is going to be a flex-off between Dio and Godbert, isn't it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yuffie makes sense in Remake at least, since she saves the party and basically proves her usefulness, plus she has reasons to think Barrett and company are cool and share her goals.

The more confusing part to me is "everyone who isn't Cloud (and I guess Aerith in Remake) going along with chasing after Sephiroth." Especially someone like Barrett - the idea that he'd drop his anti-Shrina crusade (and leave Marlene!) to go chasing the black robes after Sephiroth is a little confusing. Remake at least tries to explain it as "everyone getting the premonition of Sephiroth destroying the world with Meteor."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

game sucks rear end, 0/10

Edit: complaining on the internet works 100% of the time, game is back to 10/10

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yuffie makes sense in Remake at least, since she saves the party and basically proves her usefulness, plus she has reasons to think Barrett and company are cool and share her goals.

The more confusing part to me is "everyone who isn't Cloud (and I guess Aerith in Remake) going along with chasing after Sephiroth." Especially someone like Barrett - the idea that he'd drop his anti-Shrina crusade (and leave Marlene!) to go chasing the black robes after Sephiroth is a little confusing. Remake at least tries to explain it as "everyone getting the premonition of Sephiroth destroying the world with Meteor."

I think Tifa has a pretty good reason to have it out for Sephiroth tbh.