Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that bastard... hes going there... to use that? but that will...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Such words... even I could...!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
One of the most fascinating things about the era of widespread MTL-enabled communication is how you can watch these quirks happen. Trying to make a sentence that's talking about two people that you tell apart by their different pronouns just gets fuckin' MANGLED and it's one of the things you do all the time in english.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

mycophobia posted:

what we call pronouns in english don't really have an analogue in japanese. in english pronouns are basically second in rank to articles, i.e. they're really important structural glue words without which we can't really form complex thoughts. in japanese you don't refer to someone unless it would be ambiguous who you're talking about, and you wouldn't use words that aren't names to refer to someone that's not you unless you have a good reason, otherwise you'd sound strange and probably impolite; they're pretty much just standard nouns in that regard, used for pretty specific purposes

Gonna quote this wildly out of context on Twitter to say that japan is superior to the wokenited states of genderica because they don’t have pronouns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arc Hammer posted:

Ocean Dub's Ginyu Force remains superior, IMO, even if I prefer Funi overall.

Jonathan is back to look at more Helldivers weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNq6W7rPAGM

pre patch or post

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Gonna quote this wildly out of context on Twitter to say that japan is superior to the wokenited states of genderica because they don’t have pronouns
the general term for nonbinary identities over there is XGENDER which is much cooler.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's not a translation thing, but I still remember when an anime inspired webcomic did the "sound prevents the viewer from hearing something important" thing and just drew a bird and wrote the word FLUTTER over the word bubble. But maybe manga does that too and I'm being unfair

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Endorph posted:

the general term for nonbinary identities over there is XGENDER which is much cooler.

Would be a pretty good band name

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

mycatscrimes posted:

Would be a pretty good band name

A cover band of XJAPAN made up entirely of genderqueer people

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Endorph posted:

this is also the reason for dialog like 'That Man...' or 'That Person......'

is that why kenshin from rurouni kenshin says "this one" when referring to himself? (according to the viz manga translation)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's not a translation thing, but I still remember when an anime inspired webcomic did the "sound prevents the viewer from hearing something important" thing and just drew a bird and wrote the word FLUTTER over the word bubble. But maybe manga does that too and I'm being unfair

There's like an entire category of words in Japanese and Korean that are used like onomatopoeia but don't represent sounds, so maybe?

The Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's sinister sound effect is a famous one

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

Oh, manga is always using sound effects. You'll see it in pretty much every one out there.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/81e9d0f4-c3e6-4a80-a468-030d93507291/5 for example

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

is that why kenshin from rurouni kenshin says "this one" when referring to himself? (according to the viz manga translation)
kenshin uses 'sessha,' or 拙者. 拙 is clumsy/unskilled and 者 is like, weak person, so its very humble. its an archaic pronoun mostly used by like, servants in feudal japan when referring to a lord, or something.

kenshin is another case of flipping pronouns because he uses 'ore' when hes in murder mode, so presumably they wanted to match the clear distinction between it with the this one/i switching.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Endorph posted:

ughh this also kills me whenever I see it

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

I haven't seen a lot of anime but I have watched a lot of Gamecenter CX and I always wondered why this was said so much.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

One of the most fascinating things about the era of widespread MTL-enabled communication is how you can watch these quirks happen. Trying to make a sentence that's talking about two people that you tell apart by their different pronouns just gets fuckin' MANGLED and it's one of the things you do all the time in english.

Google translate has become really good at translating Japanese, except for pronouns. You basically have to read things preparing for genders to be totally wrong or for the narrator to suddenly call people their girlfriend/boyfriend

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xve2vums4Ac

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
gender x gender

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
japans greatest weakness is xenophobia not pronouns of which they have many

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

japans greatest weakness is xenophobia not pronouns of which they have many
perhaps the same could be said of all countries...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The 7th Guest posted:

I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers. Torn from my elders, I was made to speak their pronouns. With each new post, my masters changed along with the pronouns they made me speak. With each change, I changed, too. My thoughts, personality, how I saw right and wrong. Pronouns can kill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

the 90s/early 2000s funi dbz dub has issues but the voices themselves are great and most of the performances work, especially once you get to cell

Yeah, the problem they then was they had no experience with directing. You can hear them learn as they go.

Trunks' VA Eric Vale once passed out in a booth doing a scream.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Uchikoshi is so fuckin cool

Guy slaps but he absolutely cannot write an ending of his life depended on it

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

lol @ right wing culture warriors pretending that sweden is an ultra-sjw 'feminazi' country even tho the right-wing leading party is in alliance with the hitler party

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

TeamFourStar has uploaded their commentary of the abridged sketches they did for Totally Not Mark's review of the Buu Saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJDrxXV2grI

They'll also be starting a new weekly series next Saturday where they commentate on every episode of Dragon Ball GT.

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Sean Schemmel also pass out when doing Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation or was that just an urban legend?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Genthil posted:

Didn't Sean Schemmel also pass out when doing Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation or was that just an urban legend?

The only one I've heard confirmed is Vale but I've heard the Sean thing too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

RareAcumen posted:

Universally, I think everyone should use idioms and metaphors that don't quite translate immediately on first pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw5mK-b0u38

Man, Finnish is so cool and I wish I had the brain power to learn it at my advanced age.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

in the 90s anime tekkaman blade (you may be familiar with the american dub of it, teknoman), blade's japanese va actually broke *two* microphones during the show's run because of how hard he yelled attack names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8TrK-XBVYw

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

I have the same grinder. It's a good one. :sun:

(Except mine has a programmable timer for single and double shot)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
New Hunter: The Parenting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBjIHGF-c2Y

Lots more animation and more yelling in this one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gender x gender

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i remember the ff7 tl video making fun of how clearly rushed Vincent's translation was given that he's introduced by saying some incredibly Japanese sentence structure like "the one who awakens me from this sleep.... who are you???"

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
"He's had a long nap. He is trying okay?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, the problem they then was they had no experience with directing. You can hear them learn as they go.

They were also clearly trying to impersonate the Ocean actors they were replacing. Sabat's Vegeta, especially early on, is him trying to do Brian Drummond's Vegeta. Same for Linda Young Freeza. Once they could make the roles their own, they got a lot better.

I'm not a huge Kai fan but Namek was massively improved by Christopher Ayres as Freeza. I've always been a Cell Saga Supremacy kinda guy but a lot of sub only fans swear by Freeza. I wonder how much of that is because they got a much better Freeza Saga growing up than I did. Cell Saga is when Funi's dub improved like a hundredfold.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Give me Genkai Freeza.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's too bad Ocean never got to do the Freeza Saga to completion. We get partway through the Recoome fight and then it swaps to the Funi dub until Ocean comes back for the Android Saga with half the original voices missing.

Wish that one day that supposed Ocean Dub of DBZ Kai could see the light of day. I know Scott McNeil said he'd been doing recordings for it during a convention like a decade ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best dub is clearly the speedy dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlc8Ko38ECA&t=182s

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

NikkolasKing posted:

They were also clearly trying to impersonate the Ocean actors they were replacing. Sabat's Vegeta, especially early on, is him trying to do Brian Drummond's Vegeta. Same for Linda Young Freeza. Once they could make the roles their own, they got a lot better.

I'm not a huge Kai fan but Namek was massively improved by Christopher Ayres as Freeza. I've always been a Cell Saga Supremacy kinda guy but a lot of sub only fans swear by Freeza. I wonder how much of that is because they got a much better Freeza Saga growing up than I did. Cell Saga is when Funi's dub improved like a hundredfold.

cell saga is best bc it is the culmination of the series up to that point re: gohan

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i will allow No arguments here. good night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Radia posted:

cell saga is best bc it is the culmination of the series up to that point re: gohan

Won't argue with that. Gohan's the best thing about Z. I resent Buu Saga because of how it utterly sabotaged Gohan's perfect character arc and made it all about Goku again.