Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i hope theyre actually doing an earth avatar + or - several dozen cycles away from the current string of avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently the show is real (and I’m not even 100% sure about that) but the image is not (it’s a piece of fanart that’s been circulating around the internet for a little while). No official images of the new series have been uncovered yet nor do we know the gender of the new Avatar

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 8, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like that tweet gets made every few months and makes like 30000+ likes every time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've been seeing that "news", accompanied by that image, for years now. As far as I know the only new Avatar media that's been announced is the grown-up Aang stuff Mike and Bryan are developing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'd watch more Garp stuff.

Hell, I'd watch a movie about the world according to him

Garp is pretty much implied to be the previous protagonist of One Piece (as much as that's a very crowded field) in a manner similar to Joseph Joestar. (Might be a deliberate resemblance there, heh)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Seeing as how Dragon Ball Z was a staple of Toonami, I think this should also go here:

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Overanalyzing Avatar on youtube had a really good take on the live action series. He also goes through the comics and Korra, which made me realize weaknesses in Korra's first season which I didn't really pay much attention to because overall it was really cool to me. But specifically how certain moments dont make thematic sense, or how the series squanders the emotions of its characters to make some cheap jokes where the original ATLA would probably have treated them with more sincerity is interesting, and shows how the first season's "maturity" is sort of a gloss on top of more careless writing.

I guess I also give Korra a pass because coming off of Avatar season 3, the crew was so honed so production values were so high (and I think Studio Mir was using the show to really prove themselves). Everything in Korra looked so good, even the music seemed like a slight step up. It helped hide some story mistakes.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
My main reaction when I started watching Korra is that I am not interested in the Avatar navigating a love triangle and playing sports

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The ending of the sports tournament with Amon wrecking things is an all time moment though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Korra does get better in my opinion but not until the last two seasons

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think if Korra had been greenlit for all four seasons at the beginning, the writing would probably be better.

God season 2 was stupid aside from Varrick

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

a neat cape posted:

I think if Korra had been greenlit for all four seasons at the beginning, the writing would probably be better.

Yeah, it was originally supposed to be a one and done series but Nick ordered more seasons so they kind of had to make some stuff up as they went along (hence why Korra’s character seems to regress suddenly in Season 2)

Though ironically Nick is also responsible for killing the show (by the end of its run it was airing almost exclusively online)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

mycot posted:

The ending of the sports tournament with Amon wrecking things is an all time moment though.

It certainly ended the sports nonsense although Nolan did it better IMO

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

a neat cape posted:

It would've improved season 1 for sure.

I'm not convinced there's any saving season 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

It would've improved season 1 for sure.

I'm not convinced there's any saving season 2.

I sort of liked the Avatar Wan stuff as well as Varrick and the twins but that’s about it (ending on a giant elemental kaiju fight was funny if nothing else)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think Korra is overall positive but there's weirdness through the whole thing.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
They attempted to explore different political ideologies and failed at each attempt. The closest they got was with anarchy in season 3, but even that was lacking.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think the third season of Korra is really good and parts of the fourth season are quite solid. The first season is a real mixed bag and the second is just not good.

It's one of the reasons I'm not too psyched for the new forthcoming stuff. The Kyoshi stuff could be great if they get F C Yee involved. The books were fantastic.

X-O fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 9, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's a lot to like in the second season, though the second half is far stronger than the first. I got pretty emotional at the end of the season.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Korra Season Two is in this terrible middle ground of being too stupid to be for adults and too boring to be for children. Things just happen and characters do things for no reason. It's awful. And a shame too, because you can tell it was not a no effort production and was a really ambitious swing at more mature cartoons that aren't just comedies, but it's not good.

I actually do think being confirmed for renewal from the beginning would have helped it a lot, because you can tell it's the start of Korra having to be a gently caress up all the time to competitively balance her for mastering the Avatar in Season One.

mycot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 9, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
That and for a very sizable chunk of the fandom Season 2 just cemented in their eyes Korra being the worst Avatar ever that we're aware of

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

That and for a very sizable chunk of the fandom Season 2 just cemented in their eyes Korra being the worst Avatar ever that we're aware of

It's hard to rally back after you put a scene in where your hero fucks up so bad it gets all your past lives killed again. Seriously I'm pretty sure at least 50%of all Korra hate stems from that scene of Aang getting erased from the Avatar Cycle

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

It's hard to rally back after you put a scene in where your hero fucks up so bad it gets all your past lives killed again. Seriously I'm pretty sure at least 50%of all Korra hate stems from that scene of Aang getting erased from the Avatar Cycle

Korra does seem to straddle the line from 'screwing up' which is fine and even character building to 'incompetent' which is not so much but that's the fault of the writers.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The sad part is that on its own, "What happens if the Avatar fucks up and cuts themself off from the reincarnation cycle" actually sounds really interesting, and I'd totally be on board. The problem is that its tied up in all the Rava + Vatu bullshit, which is just profoundly stupid.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Can confirm that had it not been for the show being yanked off TV right after that dire second season I might have followed it to the end, but coming off disliking the finale of one into most of season two, I just didn't feel like the extra hoops.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think season 4 is loving awesome. Kuvira is an all time character design. shame they botched bolin's arc for the fourth season in a row, but i can't say i was expecting much from him to begin with

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Honestly the best thing they could do with the "Earth Avatar" series is rather than have it be the Avatar immediately after Korra instead jump ahead to an Earth Avatar like 10 to 20 cycles past Korra's and effectively treat it as a soft reboot for the franchise

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

So, like Star Wars or Star Trek?

They're already at electricity and giant robots in Korra's time...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the best thing they could do with the "Earth Avatar" series is rather than have it be the Avatar immediately after Korra instead jump ahead to an Earth Avatar like 10 to 20 cycles past Korra's and effectively treat it as a soft reboot for the franchise

I've seen this suggestion before, but given the tech levels that already exist in Korra, skipping ahead that far would put the series pretty solidly into outright sci-fi or post apocalypse territory. Which could be cool and have a lot of potential, but it would be pretty far departure for the series.

(That being said, my own pitch would be for a 1950s/60s globe-trotting Cold War spy adventure)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've seen this suggestion before, but given the tech levels that already exist in Korra, skipping ahead that far would put the series pretty solidly into outright sci-fi or post apocalypse territory. Which could be cool and have a lot of potential, but it would be pretty far departure for the series.

(That being said, my own pitch would be for a 1950s/60s globe-trotting Cold War spy adventure)

Obviously it's so far in the future that the Avatar world has gone through multiple cycles of civilization rising and falling that everything is back to more or less how it was during ATLA in terms of tech and aesthetic and there's basically nothing directly left from Korra's time(let alone any earlier eras)

Like I said, use this as an opportunity to soft reset the franchise

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Further ideas for my upcoming fanfiction

-The Avatar starts out as an Earth Kingdom hyper-patriot who doesn't actually know they're the Avatar until the show kicks off
-Earth Kingdom is all hyped on Nationalism and deliberately concealed the identity of the avatar as a potential edge against their foes
-Korra was assassinated under mysterious circumstances and the Avatar's first real quest is figuring out who killed her and why
-Bending has become an increasingly rare art as industry overtakes nature and spiritualism

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know why everybody's pitches for a new Avatar writes out bending. Bending and it being a common mundane part of the setting is a huge part of what made the show appealing and unique, bending becoming some kind of Xmen or Harry Potter secret talent would blow.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 9, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mycot posted:

I don't know why everybody's pitches for a new Avatar writes out bending. Bending and it being a common mundane part of the setting is a huge part of what made the show appealing and unique, bending becoming some kind of Xmen or Harry Potter secret talent would blow.

That's... not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking more that with bending becoming more rare, the Avatar would be forced to go to greater lengths to find old masters and ancient techniques, and spearhead a revival of the art. Could also bring back the Equalists as a faction that deliberately wants to wipe out bending, and is in conflict with nu-Team Avatar in their attempts to preserve it.

Anyway, obviously no one wants to read my fanfiction ideas but there really is a lot of cool stuff one can do with the setting and it's a shame that it's been stagnant for so long.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

mycot posted:

I presume it's because when you think of a "modern" version of the Avatar setting, the most common thing that comes to people's minds is "in the modern era, most people are horrifyingly divorced from the natural world."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
last idea: space race to send the first bender to the moon. Moonbending

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rand Brittain posted:

I presume it's because when you think of a "modern" version of the Avatar setting, the most common thing that comes to people's minds is "in the modern era, most people are horrifyingly divorced from the natural world."

But it doesn't have to be in a fantasy setting already divorced from Earth history? Like you could just write a world where your Uber Eats order is late because the delivery boy airbended into a sky bison.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

mycot posted:

But it doesn't have to be in a fantasy setting already divorced from history? Like you could just write a world where your Uber Eats order is late because the delivery boy airbended into a sky bison.

I mean, it doesn't have to be; it's just a very logical response to the question "what would your primary conflict be, if you're a magical individual charged with maintaining a balance between the human world and the spirit world, in the modern era".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dawgstar posted:

Korra does seem to straddle the line from 'screwing up' which is fine and even character building to 'incompetent' which is not so much but that's the fault of the writers.

am i misunderstanding or is this just how you could describe every piece of fiction? aren't all characters "the fault of the writers"? korra isn't a real person. or do you mean like, it could be a problem of directors or meddling execs?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Countblanc posted:

am i misunderstanding or is this just how you could describe every piece of fiction? aren't all characters "the fault of the writers"? korra isn't a real person. or do you mean like, it could be a problem of directors or meddling execs?

I definitely remember people pointedly noticing that Korra, the girl Avatar who has "enjoys a fight" as her thing, never actually straight-up won a fight, and drawing conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When I rewatched Korra a couple years ago, book 2 wasn't as bad as I remembered. It was still a big misstep and I'm glad season 3 basically redeemed the whole show. But it wasn't as much of a chore as it felt when I watched it as it first aired.

I caught up on a bunch of the Avatar comics and its weird, the first 5 graphic novels all look a lot like the show with art by Giruhiru, but the writing feels like a big step down. It reminded me of Korra season 2 where the villains aren't very good, it uses the spirit world in weird ways, plus it has barely any of the comedy from the show.

Then there's a new writer and artist team for the 6th one and suddenly it feels a lot more like a natural continuation of the show, although the art feels a fair bit different. Not bad, and the characters look a bit suitably older, but the colors in general dont capture the feel of the cartoon that much. But its a much more effective book. Guess Faith Erin Hicks really understands how to write Avatar material. They should hire her the upcoming animated projects.

There's also a very good fan comic about Zhao that is unfortunately on deviantArt which is not a good platform for reading comics on... https://www.deviantart.com/noselfcontrol/art/Water-Tribe-001-69837313

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Haha now I'm imagining a post apocalyptic Avatar where the traditional elements have been replaced with Fire, Ice, Slime, and Candy. And there's a boy and his dog...

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 10, 2024