Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
And here I was hoping it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyUnSuYYs18

Though I suppose that has better uses ...

E: awesome snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kiimo posted:

I'm pretty sure this is speculation. The whole thing is he described his experiences without his exact names/places/dates with the actual Yakuza because he'd be dead as hell if he named actual names. So he wrote a story similar to what happened but not specific.

Now, if the original experiences actually happened has been questioned a lot but correct me if I'm wrong he's never been outed as a fraud for sure.

But he's a Missouri Tiger so I have my doubts.

You can tell everything he wrote is unbelievably fake if you have eyes and a functioning brain, op

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Back in the '90s my brother's voicemail greeting was him saying a standard greeting over the first 32 seconds of "Detachable Penis" by King Missile.

And of course this all makes me think of this classic sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctjKrbToY34

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

You could have just said, “Don’t leave a message.”

my family knew what to do, but it was actually really effective at filtering out telemarketing poo poo

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

And here I was hoping it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyUnSuYYs18

Though I suppose that has better uses ...

E: awesome snipe.

No but we love that one and still say DON’T TOUCH ME at all sort of random times. :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also, and apologies for nerding out a bit here, "Carmina Burana" is a 20th century musical interpretation of like an 800 year old collection of poems, and "O Fortuna" is a poetic appeal to Fortuna, the goddess of fortune, who spins a wheel and maybe you get a lucky good life or maybe your poo poo gets wrecked

the lines in that first ~25 seconds of the song are
O Fortuna
Velut luna
Statu variabilis

which mean

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,

I thought that was an appropriate summary of my attitude towards answering machine messages, calling people back, etc.

also pretentious as gently caress, which kinda describes 20 year old Leperflesh a bit :negative:

e. here's a full translation, if anyone cares https://www.classicfm.com/composers/orff/o-fortuna-carmina-burana-lyrics/
it's real good tho

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 9, 2024

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Our answering machine played BB King's The Thrill is Gone

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1766519655584202853

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Leperflesh posted:

also, and apologies for nerding out a bit here, "Carmina Burana" is a 20th century musical interpretation of like an 800 year old collection of poems, and "O Fortuna" is a poetic appeal to Fortuna, the goddess of fortune, who spins a wheel and maybe you get a lucky good life or maybe your poo poo gets wrecked

the lines in that first ~25 seconds of the song are
O Fortuna
Velut luna
Statu variabilis

which mean

O Fortune,
like the moon
you are changeable,

I thought that was an appropriate summary of my attitude towards answering machine messages, calling people back, etc.

also pretentious as gently caress, which kinda describes 20 year old Leperflesh a bit :negative:

e. here's a full translation, if anyone cares https://www.classicfm.com/composers/orff/o-fortuna-carmina-burana-lyrics/
it's real good tho

Always nerd out about stuff you love, my friend. :)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Silly Burrito posted:

No but we love that one and still say DON’T TOUCH ME at all sort of random times. :)

Incredibly :negative: to hear that in the bedroom though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Android Apocalypse posted:

Incredibly :negative: to hear that in the bedroom though.

Please, let he or she who has not heard that from their spouse in the bedroom cast the first stone.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Happy birthday Blindsite. I made you some roast baby bok choy with garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and some JAMMY CHAI with sesame oil. Topped with toasted sesame seeds. It was delicious.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thank you all very much for the birthday wishes.

That bok choy looks absolutely delicious. Could murder a plate of vegetables after eating decadently the last week.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

I'm old, so I used to have an answering machine. You know, a tape recorder that answered the phone. For many, many years, I had the opening bit of O Fortuna from Carmina Burana as my message. No words, it just picks up the phone, plays this, and then the beep. The clip would be from 0:04 to 0:30 on this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qATbf5-D8bU&t=4s

my ex and i had the chorus of "spiderwebs" by no doubt as our answering machine message for a bit, achieved by holding up a speaker near the machine to record it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Balboa Park was fun, even snagged primo parking. Mostly wandered all the art stuff since the botanical building is under renovation and took the kids on the carousel/train.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Silly Burrito posted:

And that long rear end 27 second Goodbye Windows logoff sound on your old PC.

JPrime posted:

my ex and i had the chorus of "spiderwebs" by no doubt as our answering machine message for a bit, achieved by holding up a speaker near the machine to record it.

Crossing the streams, but in elementary school I replaced all my Windows sounds with clips from Seinfeld I recorded from the TV onto a cassette and then re-recorded to the PC using a microphone.

Pretty sure my log off sound was from The Marine Biologist.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

a sexual elk posted:

Balboa Park was fun, even snagged primo parking. Mostly wandered all the art stuff since the botanical building is under renovation and took the kids on the carousel/train.

The weather was awesome today too, good times.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

a neat cape posted:

The weather was awesome today too, good times.

gently caress yeah, missed T-Shirt flip flop Dicky short weather. Mountain was cold coming down tho

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 10, 2024

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Hmmm I can't decide if this is my mostly normal occasional weekend insomnia or something I need to check in with my psych about. I''ve been awake for 22 hours and it's not super uncommon for me to have that happen once a month or so. I've tried my usual not alcohol or marijuana remedies but sleep eludes me.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Hmmm I can't decide if this is my mostly normal occasional weekend insomnia or something I need to check in with my psych about. I''ve been awake for 22 hours and it's not super uncommon for me to have that happen once a month or so. I've tried my usual not alcohol or marijuana remedies but sleep eludes me.

That seems hosed up, op

How long has this level of insomnia intensity been common for you?

I am awake because I am suffering from the insomnia type: “my pet has explosive diarrhea”. Which is a handful.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh this kind of insomnia has been a thing for me since I was a kid. It ebbs and flows so I can have decently long stretches where I get normal sleep but then my severe insomnia rages back, usually when I'm hella stressed or anxious. The last time I had a really bad stretch of insomnia was after my grandparents died so for a solid month, probably two, I was at best getting 3 hours of sleep a night. I don't find most sleeping pills effective and when they do work for me I don't like the after effects so I really only take them when I hit a sustained bad stretch.

Idk sleep and my brain can get real funky. I have to go in to the office tomorrow and Tuesday so I'll suck it up and take a seroquel so I can actually sleep tonight.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Nebraska-Iowa is a really good game right now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think this might be the best video on youtube, but it represents such a narrow intersection of interests that I have nobody in my life to recommend it to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UanTCFKKg

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
While good, that’s not even the best Evangelion video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

Nebraska-Iowa is a really good game right now.

magic always occurs when they face off in any sport

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kiimo posted:

I will never forget watching the episode of Space Ghost with Thom Yorke and knifin around cut cut cut cut cut when I was just high to bejesus in college and laughing so hard I thought I injured my stomach

or Santa making bizarre and twisted toys out of human teeth for his own amusement.

or just...Bjork in general

Knifing around and Flipmode were genius that year. SGCTC was a gem.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Dr. Fishopolis, you need a shave!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWr8JU75FY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpIaTgmyKpo

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We survived my kids’ (7 and 10) first day ever skiing. They did a full day lesson at Monarch Mountain in southern Colorado. I’m not sure I survived :rip: but getting them into it was the main point. Super proud of them as they both tend to decide something sucks if they aren’t instantly good at it. But they persevered and were doing the chairlift and green circle runs after lunch.

I didn’t get injured or anything but dear god I am so tired and sore and the elevation was kicking my rear end. I haven’t put on a snow board in like 15 years and I felt every second of it. If they decide to stick with it I am gonna have to work out a lot more. Not the worst thing. But first, beer and hot tub

Silly Burrito posted:

nope, imagine hearing this every time and I mean EVERY TIME you shut down or reboot Windows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilbt3DjP0vI

My college roommate loved doing this poo poo, putting the weirdest stuff for random windows events. I had forgotten about that era when changing windows sounds was A Thing

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Silly Burrito posted:

Please, let he or she who has not heard that from their spouse in the bedroom cast the first stone.
I've never heard that from a spouse :smaug:

I will never know love :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

fartknocker posted:

While good, that’s not even the best Evangelion video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

Didn't even have to click to know what it was lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never met another person who has been to Monarch. Love that little place

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

I've never met another person who has been to Monarch. Love that little place

We’re here with friends who know someone with a sweet house like 10 minutes down the hill from the resort. The whole Salida / Buena Vista / Gunnison area is gorgeous and not yet totally crushed by the population boom. I love coming down here in all seasons.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Nothing like sitting down to unwind on a Sunday evening and hearing a squirrel try to chew through your wall

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Docjowles posted:

My college roommate loved doing this poo poo, putting the weirdest stuff for random windows events. I had forgotten about that era when changing windows sounds was A Thing

I definitely might've renamed fart.wav to whatever the name of the wav file for Windows XP's alert bonk was and replaced the original remotely on my boss's computer one day. I didn't realize he had a meeting with some execs at the company and every time a messagebox popped up, "frrrrrt".

Childish as gently caress, but it still makes me laugh thinking about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who thought the sequel to The Crown was actually going to be another True Detective reboot?

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1766944328847364201?t=0XL_mx4o7gEbNiCFYEy62g&s=19

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kate Middleton conspiracies weren't on my bingo card this year.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BlindSite posted:

Kate Middleton conspiracies weren't on my bingo card this year.

This is the first photo of her since like January (and it's fake). There was some sort of hospital thing and they said it was "a planned procedure" but they cancelled a bunch of public appearances afterwards which makes you wonder why they scheduled all these appearances after her planned procedure.

My money is on it being a cosmetic procedure that went horribly, horribly wrong.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Any surgery can have complications and their schedules are pretty crazy.

Another theory I've heard is depression / suicide attempt because they would absolutely keep it under wraps and it would make sense to have her in a private facility to receive treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh, I heard Mitch McConnell's sister in law died after drowning in a lake a few weeks back, but missed a few parts of the story.

She backed her Tesla into a lake while driving between her guest house and main house.

The doors wouldn't open after getting into the water and it quickly fully submerged, drowning her.

She's a billionaire shipping magnate and the younger sister of Trump's Transportation secretary Elaine Chao

lol.