Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

It's a good car if you're not one of those people who thinks it's too ugly.

To me, it looks weird but in a good sort of way. When I see mine in a parking lot, I still think "that looks better than the boring Camrys around it".

It costs more than a comparable-ish Model 3. It's just a question of whether you're okay paying extra to avoid certain things that come with buying a Tesla (supporting dangerous self-driving software, questionable design decisions, and he-who-shall-not-be-named).

I personally really like the way the Ioniq 6 looks, but I understand why people say it is polarizing.

The pricing compares very favorably to the Ioniq 6 when you factor in the $7,500 Hyundai is discounting.

Ioniq 6 RWD: $36,065; Model 3 RWD: $40,630.

Ioniq 6 AWD: $39,565; Model 3 AWD: $49,380.

Tesla isn't up front about the $1,390 delivery charge or $250 order charge when you look at the pricing on their website.

Yes, I used the SE trim level for the Ioniq 6 pricing because it has way more standard equipment and a better interior (lowest of bars) even with the base trim level than the Model 3 does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
do any of the RWD/AWD EVs have a notably different or worthwhile character as RWD cars, or are they pretty much all just worse, slower versions of their AWD siblings?

Like people have historically appreciated stuff like RWD BMWs and Porsches over their xDrive/4 versions but aside from the new Lucid Air I don’t think anybody’s ever praised a RWD EV’s rear-biased character or slidiness or whatever. Even with the RWD Taycan I don’t think anybody’s been like “this is as good as the AWD model”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've wondered that too, are all the RWD EVs too electronically nannied to be fun and slidey?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I know the volvo phev in hybrid the rear will break out if you want to and that's with only 143hp/220ft-lbs on the rear, it's pretty fun. In "pure" mode (rear EV motor only) it definitely acts as a regular RWD cars unless you really stomp on it and then the gas engine engages. It was a hoot during the recent snow/ice in a parking lot, some excellent donuts.

I would say that anything that has some performance-y tuning like the AWD BMWs will act very rear-biased until it detects excessive slip in the traction and even that can be turned down usually through some settings. Most cars don't let you disable stuff like ABS anymore because it's just way better than the initial versions that were really intrusive. (and probably legal reasons mixed with protecting drivers from themselves)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

El Grillo posted:

What are the good alternatives (if any) to a Model 3 these days? I haven't looked very closely at the EV market for a while. Most interested in equivalent range and charging speeds I suppose.

Edit: man it really looks like the only vaguely equivalent thing price and range wise is Hyundai i5 which... is at least a few grand more expensive? (In the UK at least). That is crazy. I thought there would at least be a few real competitors by now.

You could look at the Polestar 2. Polestar has a lot fewer dealerships than Tesla, so YMMV on whether it even makes sense to look at this option.

Price-wise and range-wise, it basically sits between a M3 and a M3LR. With Polestar's lease discounts (which they've been running for years) and destination charges baked in, that's currently $41k/44k/49k for M3, Polestar 2, and M3LR. Same layout, the ranges are 270/320/340 MSRP miles. Their max fast charging rates are 170/200/250 kW, although everything is equal at L1 and L2, and Teslas are known for having charging curves that fall much faster than other vehicles above 20% charge - in my opinion this is the parameter that matters the least, if you're primarily charging at fast chargers then you probably shouldn't buy a pure EV.

Contrasting them:
- Both are 4-door Sedans
- Similar price range
- Similar range
- Similar charging speeds
- Tesla has access to the supercharging network, but supposedly Polestar is switching to NACS and gaining access to that network in the future - I don't know if there's a date for this
- Polestar has more physical buttons and actual door handles, Tesla relies more on the center console
- Both have instrument panel maps, which I love
- Polestar has a nicer interior but uses a cockpit layout for the front seats, which some people don't like
- Both can be configured and ordered entirely online
- Tesla quality control seems to be all over the place, Polestar issues tend to be in their wireless connectivity, losing cell or GPS coverage sporadically.
- Tesla's driver assist software is reportedly very good, but "full self-driving" is a boldfaced lie
- The Tesla UI kind of sucks in my opinion, I like the Polestar Android experience better - but that's user preference
- Model 3 had higher user satisfaction, per JD Power. They include satisfaction with EV charging infrastructure in these scores, and by all accounts the supercharger network is top notch. They mention that the difference in charging reliability carried over a 200 point swing (out of 1000 points), so that may be carrying some water for Tesla's QC issues

The Ioniq 6 is another car to consider. I don't know as much about it aside from that it has more range and has the same lease incentive as Polestar so it winds up being a bit cheaper, but you'll get an unpredictable amount of dealership markup/upsells and you get saddled with Hyundai's dogshit software. Seems like an excellent option overall, I just don't know as much about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It looks like the Ioniq6 incentive is limited to dealer inventory and expires in a month; hopefully they renew it. Anyone here have any experience with Hyundai Ioniq6 availability? I recall people complaining that Ford dealerships are deliberately keeping inventories low because the salespeople said they don't make anything per sale?

fwiw I think the Ioniq6 looks great, I never understood the complaints

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

El Grillo posted:

What are the good alternatives (if any) to a Model 3 these days? I haven't looked very closely at the EV market for a while. Most interested in equivalent range and charging speeds I suppose.

Edit: man it really looks like the only vaguely equivalent thing price and range wise is Hyundai i5 which... is at least a few grand more expensive? (In the UK at least). That is crazy. I thought there would at least be a few real competitors by now.

BYD Seal if your in the UK.

You guys should also be getting new MG models in the next year or so and those look really nice.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Been lurking in here for quite a while. Just did my taxes and I don't qualify for the tax credit now, so I guess all cars (minus Tesla, I just can't) are under consideration now.

Why not the ioniq 5? I see the 6 get thrown out there a lot.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

QuarkJets posted:

It looks like the Ioniq6 incentive is limited to dealer inventory and expires in a month; hopefully they renew it. Anyone here have any experience with Hyundai Ioniq6 availability? I recall people complaining that Ford dealerships are deliberately keeping inventories low because the salespeople said they don't make anything per sale?
Around here (American southeast) the Hyundai dealerships all have lots of Ioniq 5's and 6's on-hand. The nearest one to me had eight or nine when I took mine in for service last month. All but one were RWD SEL models for some reason. I asked about it and the dealer said "we can make requests, but usually we just get whatever Hyundai sends us".

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Been lurking in here for quite a while. Just did my taxes and I don't qualify for the tax credit now, so I guess all cars (minus Tesla, I just can't) are under consideration now.
A lot of manufacturers are doing tax credit-like incentives, either on new purchases, leases, or both. It's definitely worth looking into! And your household income doesn't matter for those discounts.

I got $7500 off a lease for my Ioniq 6, which I could have bought out the same month for no penalty.

quote:

Some people (like me) would rather have a sedan. I like having a separate/enclosed trunk.

The two are extremely similar in terms of power unit, range, infotainment, and features. They even drive somewhat similarly. I had an AWD Ioniq 5 as a loaner for about a month, and it's a great car too. Much more fun to drive than most small SUVs/crossovers.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I ate a rock on the freeway and got a little pit in the glass within 24 hours of driving my Ioniq 6 off the lot :negative:

I wish there were some padding on the driver's side window area -- it's hard plastic and gets uncomfortable when resting my elbow. The door handle area itself is soft but I haven't trained myself out of where I usually rest it.

The audio and cruise controls are swapped from my Nexo. Why did they change that?

Auto lane change is more welcome than I expected. Haven't tried the auto-park yet but watching a video makes it look dog slow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do any car companies have an auto park worth a drat? Volvo just removed theirs after 2022, it was atrociously slow I hear.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Ahh, cool. I thought there were some kind of build issues as opposed to people just wanting sedans. Thanks for the incentive tip too.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Personally I love my i5, I think the new ones coming out will have my biggest complaint (lack of rear wiper) fixed so maybe wait for those.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tayter Swift posted:

I ate a rock on the freeway and got a little pit in the glass within 24 hours of driving my Ioniq 6 off the lot :negative:

oof

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Holy cow the last page of people referring to the ionic 5 as the i5 when the BMW i5 exists (and is a relevant vehicle for this thread) is the new m3/model 3 isn’t it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The difference is the Ioniq 5 came out before the BMW

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Only about a milimeter in the lower driver's side, so not a factor while driving and I'm not overly concerned, but yeah oof.

I got my first charge tonight at an EA! It went smooth, drawing 170kW, went from 30% to 80% in 18 minutes while I explored the settings.

edit: the "get some rest" bullshit warning went off four times in 30 minutes of highway driving and I can't figure out how to turn that poo poo off

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 10, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

good, now you can stop worrying about it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

first thing you should do with a new car is key it. just get it overwith, it's a used car now

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

kill me now posted:

Holy cow the last page of people referring to the ionic 5 as the i5 when the BMW i5 exists (and is a relevant vehicle for this thread) is the new m3/model 3 isn’t it.

Ioniq 5 is a car Ionic 5 is a bond.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Tayter Swift posted:

edit: the "get some rest" bullshit warning went off four times in 30 minutes of highway driving and I can't figure out how to turn that poo poo off

That's connected to the lane watch camera. Are you weaving around in your lane?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
No, just coming down the foothills with cruise control on. Didn't happen when going up, just down.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

kill me now posted:

We have the I5 and the i5, now someone has to release the lowercase L 5 to complete the confusion trifecta

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kill me now posted:

Electric Vehicles Mk3: Supra Confusing Abbreviations Abound

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

Do you get the Vauxhall version of the Astra?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kTZgvWxEg

Maybe ID.7 when it's out?

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Please, someone tell me why I shouldn't get a used i3 as a secondary city only errands car.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

VW managed to get the part in to fix the latch on our ID4, and it only took… six weeks?

It also randomly decided that displays aren’t required, but you can force reboot them by holding the power button under the center display for 10 seconds.

Still, fantastic family car and my benchmark for EVs, certainly while VW keep putting money on the hood.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TwoDice posted:

Please, someone tell me why I shouldn't get a used i3 as a secondary city only errands car.
Everyone seems to love them for practical use around town and it did the best in the 500km challenge out of all the shitboxes Bjorn tested in case you ever need to.

No idea how any parts or BMW service is going to cost on one of those though

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I wish there were some padding on the driver's side window area -- it's hard plastic and gets uncomfortable when resting my elbow. The door handle area itself is soft but I haven't trained myself out of where I usually rest it.

The audio and cruise controls are swapped from my Nexo. Why did they change that?

Auto lane change is more welcome than I expected. Haven't tried the auto-park yet but watching a video makes it look dog slow.

Pics or eat a probe

Don't blame me I don't make the rules

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

TwoDice posted:

I own one. It’s great. If something breaks parts aren’t cheap but there really isn’t much to go wrong and mines been flawless for about 30k miles. Buy one 2017 or later so you get the refreshed cellular connection and revived A/C compressor that won’t grenade and take your HV battery with it.

Edit: tires for it cost way too much.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you get the Vauxhall version of the Astra?

Last time I checked, the UK Corsa costed as much as a model 3 unless you went for the lowest possible spec, while the Astra costed far more than a model 3. Stellantis is likely going to get badly beaten by the upcoming renaults and byd coming out this year unless they slash their MSRP very deep.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cruft posted:

Pics or eat a probe

Don't blame me I don't make the rules

i cant be bothered right now so heres old car new car

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/Fzvgc0N-gZQ?si=lU7gS4eMZEbRN01o

Throttle House comparing a new Highland Model 3 to the cheapest used one they could find

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

kill me now posted:

Obviously the solution is to refer to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 as the HI5

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Talorat posted:

Obviously the solution is to refer to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 as the HI5

IQ5?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

https://youtu.be/Fzvgc0N-gZQ?si=lU7gS4eMZEbRN01o

Throttle House comparing a new Highland Model 3 to the cheapest used one they could find

I tried watching this, and these guys are impossible for me to watch. Is there a high level takeaway?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

I tried watching this, and these guys are impossible for me to watch. Is there a high level takeaway?

lol if these guys are impossible for you then Donut Media must be like actual torture

tldw the old one creaks a lot which is extra noticeable in an EV and the interior is in somewhat rough shape because “cheapest we could find” means it’s a former Hertz rental. The older materials are less good and the seats need a refill and there’s lovely piano black in places. Also the old stereo isn’t as nice as the new one, which is apparently quite nice and almost as good as some Martin Logan/etc stuff in luxury cars. The suspension geometry and components aren’t as nice as the new ones and also the car is a few years old which is gonna tire those components out. It has turn signal/etc stalks, which are a plus.

On the whole aside from the aforementioned complaints the old one feels and drives very much like the new one. The new one is improved all around, it looks better, the headlights look higher-end, the material choices are better, and the suspension is better. The screen bezels are a bit narrower and there’s a screen for the rear passengers now. Also the better stereo, which was mentioned previously.

It’s still a very competitive car but it’s also not really all that different from the old one and also they don’t have confidence that it’s put together dramatically better, or well, or that the materials are that much better than the older materials. The things the car gets really right in terms of packaging and ergonomics and feel/character and driving ability are all pretty much nailed in the older car, which makes getting a used Model 3 a really good choice vs shelling out for a brand new one that also lacks a bunch of poo poo like stalks, especially if you’re willing to do stuff like replace worn suspension bits, get the seats restuffed, etc.

They recommend spending a bit more than the $19k that their well-used former rental costs and not buying a used rental.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like the throttle house guys. My fav one was when one of them (James?) spun out a super expensive GT40 on a wet racetrack (local to me!) and looked like he was going to have a heart attack.

I like The Straight Pipes guys too but their reviews are too often filmed in utterly poo poo Ontario winter weather. Those two plus Savagegeese are my go tos for YouTube car reviews.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

trilobite terror posted:

lol if these guys are impossible for you then Donut Media must be like actual torture

Why yes, Donut Media are actually that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Failson posted:

Bolt havers, do you have to monitor your car to make sure it hasn't swapped from "immediate" to "delayed" charging?

Mine seems to randomly flip to a delayed charging schedule, and I can't figure out why.

No on my 2023 but I have the charging schedule set up via my Emporia EVSE instead of the built-in Bolt scheduling.

edit:

Bone Crimes posted:

some other pics:

proportions don't look bad in the side shots

A crossover I don't hate?!? :psypop:

edit again: looking at the tan interior version of the R3 confirms that the designers know what they are doing re: 80s nostalgia :c00l:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 10, 2024