Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Embrace your inner hoarder and never fight anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok I thought you were talking about the guy who gave me the paraglider. I'll have to look into that this evening. I thought I was doomed with the limited starting inventory space forever.

Slate has already been updated, that I took care of. I've even upgraded two of my abilities with the ancient bits and bolts.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 6, 2024

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Honestly, the game pushes you so hard to hoofing it the suggested way to Kakariko ASAP because they sprinkle the rest of the 'tutorial' bits like stables and Hestu and memories etc. etc. along the path to and inside Kakariko proper. It's just....really drat easy to miss those bits if you go off path from the jump.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Honestly, the game pushes you so hard to hoofing it the suggested way to Kakariko ASAP because they sprinkle the rest of the 'tutorial' bits like stables and Hestu and memories etc. etc. along the path to and inside Kakariko proper. It's just....really drat easy to miss those bits if you go off path from the jump.

This, and soo many people are always hyping up about how awesome this game is to just go run off and do anything! New players get caught up in that and then easily miss Hestu. It’s my one major complaint.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I got nearly all the memories in TotK before even getting the hangglider. I'm tempted to try a run where I skip it and just do a flight suit only run and let link smash his face into everything a la Wind Waker

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I did make it to that place, is that the one where I go to some important old lady and there is some younger girl outside when I first go in? There is one of those orbs with the orange design sitting behind the old lady to the left? I have unlocked a memory or two and learned about stables, though I've mostly spurned horses while simultaneously complaining to myself about how far I have to run everywhere.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
They really should just have multiple Hestus show up on all the various paths to make sure you don't miss him. Then just have the rest of them disappear once you meet one.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

codo27 posted:

I did make it to that place, is that the one where I go to some important old lady and there is some younger girl outside when I first go in? There is one of those orbs with the orange design sitting behind the old lady to the left? I have unlocked a memory or two and learned about stables, though I've mostly spurned horses while simultaneously complaining to myself about how far I have to run everywhere.

That's Kakariko, yeah.

And horses are mostly nice when you just want to get to some new place near a road like a stable. When you're on a road your horse will start steering itself and you can just look at the scenery.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

codo27 posted:

I like using the powerful weapons to just dummy hinoxes but I keep having fomo about how I'm going to deal with end game poo poo if I wear out the good weapons now.

This isn't something you have to worry about, the combat shrines and all weapon spawns in the world reset every blood moon so you will never run out of sources for the good stuff.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I can’t tell if we’re talking about BotW or TotK which is interesting in itself…

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

eightysixed posted:

I can’t tell if we’re talking about BotW or TotK which is interesting in itself…

They honestly both have the same issue of going "Go this way for a bit, seriously" and then having someone miss out on an important mechanic or system because they went off in the other direction.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

codo27 posted:

I usually try to not look anything up during a first playthrough of a game but I've gotten basically no hints about recipes aside from the item descriptions so I used a website to track my inventory and tell me what I can make. Why do most of the recipes just...do nothing? According to the website anyway, there are a ton that offer no health or status bonuses.

Most recipes have at least one ingredient you can substitute for something that generates an effect. It's just usually not worth it to make something other than Minimal Number of Max Potency Ingredients for maximum desired effect + Duration Enhancers = 5 ingredients.

ToTK does it a little better with its recipe book that lets you automatically assemble ingredients for meals you've found good, but it's still pretty difficult to work out what's best from scratch without taking your own notes.

I also was very disappointed to find out just how many meals were actually "Same as [meat meal you've already made] but with one of the two higher qualities of meat or the three qualities of poultry"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Poque posted:

They really should just have multiple Hestus show up on all the various paths to make sure you don't miss him. Then just have the rest of them disappear once you meet one.
I honestly thought this was the case because I couldn't believe I got lucky enough to find him.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

This, and soo many people are always hyping up about how awesome this game is to just go run off and do anything! New players get caught up in that and then easily miss Hestu. It’s my one major complaint.

This is what almost ruined TotK for me lol. I didn’t play BotW but I heard so much about how the joy of the game was to just see a cool thing in the distance and make your way there, who even cares about the main story. So I did that the minute I fell from the sky island. Turns out the game is actually quite hard without the paraglider and sky towers to reveal the map and a base of operations and so on.

This isn’t really the game’s fault. It absolutely tried to signpost me toward Lookout Landing. I just brainwormed myself with internet posts.

At some point I decided there is no way a Zelda game is supposed to be a very challenging survival horror experience and went back to the quest marker. One of the best games I’ve ever played from then on :pseudo:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

The first thing I did in TotK after leaving the islands was google “HESTU WHERE IS HE”. Hate looking stuff like that up but I wasn’t gonna play without expanding inventory slots.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Found him, what a rip that you only get two upgrades before he fucks off, quite a ways away.

Looks like at this point it's up to me to find the next beast to tackle.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

If you keep trying to more or less stick to where the game is guiding you, you’ll come across Hestu again soon enough. He is usually around stables before settling into his final location — where he’s going to be anyway when you get there if you’ve missed him along the way. Then you can just spend your Korok seeds until they run out. Fair warning though: each upgrade gets exponentially more expensive. I recommend saving your seeds mainly for weapon slots because it’s very difficult to burn through bows and shields. The weapon degradation becomes much less aggravating when you can carry several more.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah, I ended up going with one shield, two bow and three weapon, where I will put the rest from now on. I only have half the map explored and not even fully, so I imagine there must be dozens more seeds to be found yet.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

codo27 posted:

Yeah, I ended up going with one shield, two bow and three weapon, where I will put the rest from now on. I only have half the map explored and not even fully, so I imagine there must be dozens more seeds to be found yet.

Yep! There’s at least 50 seeds in this game as far as I know.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
dozens...

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
(There's, like, 700. But you only need about 340 before you max out)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

About 75 dozen korok seeds.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The game actually mocks you if you manage to collect them all

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The game actually mocks you if you manage to collect them all

No, you see, it's a great honor, in Japan, to be awarded with a golden one of those.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Went back and hosed up the lightning minotaur guy, and in subsequent adventuring found two more. Still annoyed at my damage output, meanwhile I've killed hinoxes with a single 2H whirlwind attack before they could even stand up. It feels a bit defeating, so easily being able to snipe guardians now with one hit but being such a grind to get more arrows, which I'm only going to use to extend the cycle. Found and conquered two labyrinths as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on some variant of elixir in order to conquer the next divine beast. I nearly have the full ancient set, still missing the climbing gear boots and likewise for the barbarian set but I dunno if I'll wind up using that much.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So after chasing "Zelda" around the castle forever, I came to the 5 phantom Ganons battle and I noped out of it because I assumed that was like a pre-battle to the final battle that would be coming up shortly after. So I spent an entire afternoon gathering supplies and leveling up some armor. Oops lol nope there's still a significant chunk of the game left.

On the one hand, it's cool that there's more game, on the other hand it was a little annoying because I was mentally set to finish the game today. And it's a symptom of a bigger problem this game has, and it's that everything feels extremely padded out in a way that BotW never did.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

codo27 posted:

Went back and hosed up the lightning minotaur guy, and in subsequent adventuring found two more. Still annoyed at my damage output, meanwhile I've killed hinoxes with a single 2H whirlwind attack before they could even stand up. It feels a bit defeating, so easily being able to snipe guardians now with one hit but being such a grind to get more arrows, which I'm only going to use to extend the cycle. Found and conquered two labyrinths as well.

Looks like I'm going to have to stock up on some variant of elixir in order to conquer the next divine beast. I nearly have the full ancient set, still missing the climbing gear boots and likewise for the barbarian set but I dunno if I'll wind up using that much.

You might have an easier time farming ancient weapons from the shrines. Guardians aren't so bad if you can get the drop on them and just press the attack.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

codo27 posted:

Even with the extremely powerful weapons the Lionel's are a decent health sponge. But that's on purpose, they're supposed to be big scary overworld bosses. It's ok to not fight things in this game if it's not fun to fight them

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

You might have an easier time farming ancient weapons from the shrines. Guardians aren't so bad if you can get the drop on them and just press the attack.

If you get Giant Horse you can just ram them to death. Yeehaw!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Even with the extremely powerful weapons the Lionel's are a decent health sponge. But that's on purpose, they're supposed to be big scary overworld bosses. It's ok to not fight things in this game if it's not fun to fight them

Again, relative to Souls this game is pretty easy and the crit windows are very generous. But almost makes me want to switch to m&kb just to make shooting them in the face easier. Kinda stupid also how I can block some of his attacks but not others? And I'm not talking about the big charge, like sometimes I can block a sword swipe but others get me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I realized I forgot to save a unique building material (the construct U-shaped strut) from the Right Leg Depot. I finished that quest long ago so I haven't been back. I went down to go grab it but the RLD's gate is down and I cannot open it. How do I do this?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I realized I forgot to save a unique building material (the construct U-shaped strut) from the Right Leg Depot. I finished that quest long ago so I haven't been back. I went down to go grab it but the RLD's gate is down and I cannot open it. How do I do this?

IIRC all the depots have a way to get back in from the outside when the gate comes down. Try looking for an overhang you can ascend into.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

IIRC all the depots have a way to get back in from the outside when the gate comes down. Try looking for an overhang you can ascend into.

Ahhhhh that's right! I forgot about the exits being in a different spot. Thanks!

edit: someone on Reddit made a useful spreadsheet for locations of all the different building materials.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NkURUErF1Jpoemkr4rLQjrcMO-XibsMykpFEGj0uHVU/edit#gid=0

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 10, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Today I learned that if the master sword is out of power that if you go to the weapons storage screen and select it there is a countdown on how much longer it is until it's charged again :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I saw that Peco had built this so I had to give it a go. I think I need to get the fan placement a bit better as it pulls up and a bit to the left a little bit I love it otherwise.
https://x.com/kaiju_sommelier/status/1767037029270052966?s=46

Edit: better fan placement. Makes a good speedboat as well!

https://x.com/kaiju_sommelier/status/1767040393563246997?s=46

edit again: closer...

https://x.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1767043356146979030?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 11, 2024

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Today I learned that if the master sword is out of power that if you go to the weapons storage screen and select it there is a countdown on how much longer it is until it's charged again :v:

It's a handy timer for when you can go ore hunting again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Houle posted:

I've fused a giant iron spikey ball to the Hylian shield and it's the best drat ore getting device I've ever used. Any time I get the warning that the shield is weak I go see the kid in TerryTown and unfuse them, have an octorock repair my shield, and then go get another iron ball. I've only had to do the repair once in a hundred hours or so of playing since I first made this device.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I like fusing those gint metal boxes or spheres to it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Houle posted:

The giant Mineru mechs default arms are the best ore hammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Finally beat the game. What an ending, which I assume is not quite as grand if you don't get all five sages. But with them I feel like it was easily among the best video game endings I have seen, much better than BotW's ending.

As far as the game as a whole, I think I've come up with this conclusion - for me, the game is:

A - 50% "this is easily one of the best games of all time"

B- 25% "This aspect was better in BotW"

C - 25% "This is kind of dumb/bad"

Point A - As a proper game, this really does have a significant edge of BotW. The things you do are more epic, the main quests are more grand, and there's so many "holy poo poo that's insane" moments.

Point B - Yet, in some ways I still think I preferred the overall more carefree and laid back experience of BotW better. I'll try not to make a huge detailed rant post like I did pages back in this thread, but various things like how most of the shrines in TotK are clearly an afterthought. Most are either training/tutorials, a "strip you of everything" battle, or a Rauru's Blessing. Or perhaps how BotW feels mostly like Link surviving in "the wild" but this feels much more akin to a packed to the brim modern game.

Point C - Off the top of my head, the two biggest negatives for me were the depths, and the fact that the game forces you to grind and pads everything out in a way that BotW did not. The depths were just an absolute slog through and through for me aside from the temples that were down there. I believe that each region should instead had its own smaller section of the depths, and more focus should have been placed on making the sky islands more interesting as well as the temples and shrines.

Oh, and finally, the other big negative for me was crafting. I never really enjoyed it. Way too much emphasis was placed on it. I found it tedious and often frustrating, even with Autobuild. You really have to grind to have any real fun with your vehicle creations and/or use autobuild to your advantage, so most of the time it's really just: I need to get up there, sigh, guess I'll craft the drat hot air balloon again.." or some variation of that.

I think both games definitely have their place in top/most notable video games of all time, but I'd really like for the next major installment to be a middle ground between Twilight Princess (my personal favorite Zelda) and these.