Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

game sucks rear end, 0/10

Edit: complaining on the internet works 100% of the time, game is back to 10/10

Every time someone beats this minigame I feel like doing that Crispian speech from Henry V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's also been, what, officially less than a week since a significant portion of Midgar got wiped out and the entire city went on total lockdown?

I think it's honestly pretty reasonable for Barret to go on sabbatical for several months just to avoid getting arrested, much less take a week off to go hunting Sephiroths.

(admittedly his way of beating the heat could be improved upon)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Did I miss a QB opponent somewhere if I wasn't Blood Knight by the time I entered Gold Saucer? There were only two opponents in North Corel, and by the time I found the next person to fight Chadley told me I had unlocked a new opponent in... North Corel. That's lower level than the ones I'm finding now.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Did I miss a QB opponent somewhere if I wasn't Blood Knight by the time I entered Gold Saucer? There were only two opponents in North Corel, and by the time I found the next person to fight Chadley told me I had unlocked a new opponent in... North Corel. That's lower level than the ones I'm finding now.

the opponents begin to stagger out a little in corel and don't equalize again for a while. don't worry about it, just take on new challengers as they come

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Every time someone beats this minigame I feel like doing that Crispian speech from Henry V.

hold on i've got to google something

lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thundarr posted:

They basically come in groups of 3 but sometimes one of those 3 requires you to come back later when you're at a higher rank. So needing to return to Corel for the final guy there is just how it works.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OK, thanks. It sure is a choice to have the level 5 ranking guy be locked behind having beaten level 6 opponents though, based on how they're parceled out.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The last QB opponent got off to a terrible start and couldn't recover and it was really anticlimactic :cripes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The deck I used to beat level 5 opponents in the same town I got the cards for it is still absolutely crushing every opponent and I’m one rank away from the finale of the quest chain.

The numbers are pretty meaningless.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dio is aptly named because against his card all others are useless useless useless

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thundarr posted:

OK, thanks. It sure is a choice to have the level 5 ranking guy be locked behind having beaten level 6 opponents though, based on how they're parceled out.

Yeah I do kinda wonder if its a mistake for him to show as Rank 5.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't need to have the character I'm focusing on at max relationship for anything, right? I'm sitting at 4/5 with what seems like Tifa's last sidequest done.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The chicken minigame is giving the the rage.

What is wrong with Cloud that he apparently cannot walk backwards reliably while leading a chicken around?!

I question the value of his SOLDIER training if it is insufficient to overcome these wayward birds.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You really should question the value of the SOLDIER training he claims to have, considering.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

There certainly are some questionable details about his story, but this chicken wrangling incompetence may be the last straw.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Rebirth in general makes the flow of the story a lot more coherent than in the original game which was largely just kind of wandering to the next place that was available

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

Rebirth in general makes the flow of the story a lot more coherent than in the original game which was largely just kind of wandering to the next place that was available

Yeah, that's the classic FF formula to a degree but FF7 was worse about it than most. I heard a reviewer say there was "no narrative momentum" in Rebirth and respectfully, I think that's nonsense, there's far more than the original game had.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rebirth has more narrative momentum and is a better road trip game than FF15, don't @ me

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rebirth will be better for a lot of folks who think that upon a replay. Just like the third season of Twin Peaks is a ton better on the second watch. Easier to sit back and experience the things going on now instead of wanting the story to get on with it to reveal those secrets when you already know them.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
My QB deck hasn't changed since partway through Junon and I've beaten everyone through Gongaga with it. Archdragon and Fat Chocobo are OP.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fedule posted:

It's bungled completely

Hey Fedule, I hate to be the one to tell you but this is a skill issue, not a poor design issue. You're in the final section of the game. The fights are going to get harder and they're going to expect you've been paying attention

I recommend doing more sidequests, Chadley development and taking some more time to make a "build" that plays to your character's strengths.

For example, Yuffie already counters elements with her ninja magic skill so I recommend debuff and passive buff materia on her because it maximizes her capabilities. Aerith is fantastic at magic so having elemental magic materia and synergy materia is excellent on her. I'm a big fan of Synergy+Wind and Lighting for her.

As for that fight itself, Steadfast Block is a fantastic defensive materia that gives you big defensive and ATB bonuses for just blocking. Allowing you to fight very defensively.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 10, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For the last time, the abstract difficulty of the fight is not the issue! Nothing in the fight is actually bad! It's just positioned to feel awful! It feels like complete bullshit in a way that things that are actually more difficult sometimes don't!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone help me remember how synergy materia works? Do both characters have to have it? I remember it just works with elemental materia, unless that has changed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Jimbot posted:

Can someone help me remember how synergy materia works? Do both characters have to have it? I remember it just works with elemental materia, unless that has changed.

Synergy allows (forces, actually) a character to follow up an ATB command from the party leader with a spell from the linked materia while controlled by the AI. Notably this does not cost ATB or MP but does prevent the character from doing other actions. It only works with offensive magic that does direct damage (so Bio works but Deprotect doesn't). It also only gets you the first level spells, so no free Firaga. It does work with Comet which is hilarious but may backfire by tying up the character during the long casting windup.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Tifa has a pretty good reason to have it out for Sephiroth tbh.

Tifa may as well be the main character considering the unbelievable amount of poo poo in her life that she's had to deal with.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

Rebirth has more narrative momentum and is a better road trip game than FF15, don't @ me

Absolutely. It's an incredible road trip game. I've decided 15 doesn't count as a road trip game because it's too drat open, you're very rarely actually going to any sort of destination.

I can't believe I'm 24 hours into this thing and I'm only at the boat. I've got so much game left and I'm excited about that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Dustbowl fights with the cactuars and the two wolves are some serious fuckin' bullshit. Camera lock is actively detrimental, can't tell when to block or dodge, the dodge windows are tiny. At least I can throw some grenades at the cactuars.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fedule posted:

Synergy allows (forces, actually) a character to follow up an ATB command from the party leader with a spell from the linked materia while controlled by the AI. Notably this does not cost ATB or MP but does prevent the character from doing other actions. It only works with offensive magic that does direct damage (so Bio works but Deprotect doesn't). It also only gets you the first level spells, so no free Firaga. It does work with Comet which is hilarious but may backfire by tying up the character during the long casting windup.

Would it work with the fire+ice or lighting+wind materia too or only single elemental?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Gongaga loving sucks rear end to move around, being forced to be on the chocobo to find the right mushrooms but the entire area being so tight means you're just bumping into walls constantly.

Cosmo Canyon is better but it's still too much of "uhhh okay let's see how I up get there" for me.

Where are my wide open plains damnit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

People always heavily exaggerated the "road trip" elements to FF15, and I say that as someone who loves FF15. I actually think people having such exaggerated memories of the "road trip" parts of FF15 is a testament to how successful the latter parts of the game are at creating the intended vibes/emotions (such that players end up fondly looking back on the driving/camping parts, even if in reality there wasn't exactly much to do in the FF15 open world).

FF15 is generally a game that is great at vibes, and this makes it a successful FF game because FF is defined by vibes (IMO anyways). The 7R games are good for the same reason. I enjoyed FF16 a lot, but I don't think it worked as well as an FF game specifically.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It'd be pretty boring if every open world area was a wide open plain

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Revisiting the Gold Saucer as part of the end of Chapter 11 and goong through the big story beats there, I just realized something: have all the Zack sequences taken place while Cloud was asleep?

vvv Syncopation’s a bitch :v:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Got to Cosmo Canyon and ok gently caress this piano piece

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Jimbot posted:

Would it work with the fire+ice or lighting+wind materia too or only single elemental?

It works with those but what I don't know is if there's any rhyme or reason to which gets cast. I suspect they are clever enough to exploit weaknesses and avoid elemental resistances but not clever enough to just not cast if eg an enemy absorbs both elements (because Synergy forces them to cast). I've found AI-adjusting materia to have surprisingly good AI (I may be imagining it but I think I only ever see Auto Weapon Ability characters use Focused Attacks on pressured enemies, I see them use counters, etc).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: I got Red XIII for date night. He’s cool and all, but I’m tempted to reload for story tone reasons.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Pollyanna posted:

:laffo: I got Red XIII for date night. He’s cool and all, but I’m tempted to reload for story tone reasons.

Don't you dare, give that boy a good time

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

It not only works, but the character will choose the most appropriate spell. For instance Aerith will usually cast Aero but if something is strong to wind or weak to lightning, she will cast lightning. Same deal with elemental materia. I have Cloud setup with Elemental+Fire and Ice and he will choose the most appropriate element for whatever enemy he's fighting.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
This game really, truly understands the vibe of "It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

just a giant cast of dumbasses being rad

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Pollyanna posted:

Revisiting the Gold Saucer as part of the end of Chapter 11 and goong through the big story beats there, I just realized something: have all the Zack sequences taken place while Cloud was asleep?

vvv Syncopation’s a bitch :v:

No, there was one on the boat in chapter 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cephas posted:

This game really, truly understands the vibe of "It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

just a giant cast of dumbasses being rad

*Aerith raises her hand*

“Question!”