Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I lived in Germany for a bit, it was alright, a little too much bureaucracy but I liked a lot of the odd little things, it has its issues but was kinda lovely.

Got offered my current job so moved back here but might work there or somewhere else Lee some other time.

Heard good things about Canada, noisy neighbours though and the Scandinavian countries seem decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

That was oberleutnant (changed his name to something else I can never remember) and yeah, might have cucked the duke which is very funny.

the new name was "communism bitch", hasn't posted since 2021.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Steven Waxy Lemon was arrested today and remanded in custody to be brought in front of a judge on Monday :toot:
https://twitter.com/zarahussain999/status/1766577604973285418

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Which countries are better? And how so?

Germany, childcare
France, trains
Spain, weather
Iceland, equality
*, food

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
ok but those are single metrics, and debateable and none of them make england or the uk I forget whcih we hate, dogshit.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nenonen posted:

The big difference is that if you go to a museum and destroy an old piece of art, they will make you pay for its restoration for the rest of your days.

Don't worry, we are going to protect artworks by having every museum austeritied out of existance.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah, sunak's 'Commissioner for Countering Extremism' had an article in the torygraph about how they need to be bolder and 'take more risks' to combat extremism, and a couple of paragraphs in particular make me pretty sure they're going to try and use this new definition to ban pro-palestinian demosntrations:

https://archive.is/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/07/extremist-acts-have-been-normalised-in-britain/

(remembering this post for some reason)

frytechnician posted:

Well done everyone who turned out today if you made it. It was a long old protest from Hyde Park Corner to Battersea! Nothing but good vibes from everyone, really respectful and peaceful march. Once again, massive, massive loving respect for the Jewish community who joined, especially the people standing about halfway through the protest that were sons and daughters of Holocaust survivors - those guys got serious love from all that passed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

also if you think other countires are better at food its because you personally are bad at food

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
looked up the commissioner's bio btw, and i'm sure everyone will be surprised:

to protect democracy, we must push back against extremism of all stripes, be it islamic, muslim, or muslamic

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok but those are single metrics, and debateable and none of them make england or the uk I forget whcih we hate, dogshit.

You asked a terrible open-ended question without defining 'better' or any kind of metrics. Don't be offended if people don't put much effort in their replies to you.

I'll answer by saying pretty much anywhere else in Europe, simply because they mostly have functional representative democracies, rather than our hereditary monarchy, unelected Lords and joke of an elected chamber. Everywhere else in Europe has functioning and affordable public transport too. I could also mention they have better healthcare, education, housing.... The list goes on.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 10, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Despite all those things you still live in Britain. Checkmate

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Stranded here due to lovely health, otherwise I'd have moved back long ago. Most of us are stranded here now. Checkmates indeed.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

I'm leaving this country as soon as our decrepid passport office gets around to sending me mine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

SPLITTER!

e: Sorry, that post was written out of insane levels of jealousy. I'm happy for everyone who manages to escape

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Stranded here due to lovely health, otherwise I'd have moved back long ago. Most of us are stranded here now. Checkmates indeed.

I thought healthcare here was no good?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Wouldn't if I had the money to leave. Also "don't like it you can leave" is the world dumbest argument.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I'm leaving this country as soon as our decrepid passport office gets around to sending me mine.

Our passport office is actually really good now

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Wouldn't if I had the money to leave. Also "don't like it you can leave" is the world dumbest argument.

and yet you would?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Are you really this desperate for attention?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

and yet you would?

It's still dumb. Give me the money and I'd gently caress off, but it's still a lovely attitude to take to people criticising something.

Also the answer to that is "yes" fuct.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

some very nasty, negative posters in tonight. Maybe the Uk isnt all its cracked up to be.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Ooh some late night posts.

Oh it's just 99 being a boring contrarian. Never mind.

And yes I'm boring too. But I'm not a duck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quack.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuctifino posted:

Steven Waxy Lemon was arrested today and remanded in custody to be brought in front of a judge on Monday :toot:
https://twitter.com/zarahussain999/status/1766577604973285418

Had to look up what he'd done. Didn't realize he was banned from London & football matches!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

Don't worry, we are going to protect artworks by having every museum austeritied out of existance.

This lends a new perspective on what sort of defacement counts as art, really. By privatizing and presumably eventually auctioning all the collections from the museums, there'd be no end to making impotence drugs out of ground up bones some colonialist had shipped to Britaine at some point or another. Collections of Lesser Yet Quaint foreign art, just pick your era of human history, someone with more coiffed facial hair than sense has stolen it for the glory of the Monarchy, turned into decorations and props for high speed trader sociopaths. Snort a line from an Egyptian burial mask? Put that poo poo on tiktok!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yuck. Bad post.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

some very nasty, negative posters in tonight. Maybe the Uk isnt all its cracked up to be.

Just one that I can see.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Me sowing:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Me reaping:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This is the thing about "negativity" some times it is just moaning for the sake of it, but a lot of the time there are reasons behind it and it's important to see where it is coming from any way.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

This is the thing about "negativity" some times it is just moaning for the sake of it, but a lot of the time there are reasons behind it and it's important to see where it is coming from any way.

I think a lot of my negativity about the U.K. is a deep desire for it to be a better place but far too many people don't care about making it better.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The UK has the best nightlife culture of anywhere in the world, and the only people I know who disagree with that (including people not from the UK) don’t actually like going on nights out very much.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

The UK has the best nightlife culture of anywhere in the world, and the only people I know who disagree with that (including people not from the UK) don’t actually like going on nights out very much.

Insane take

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Say what you like, but there’s nowhere else I could get into some friendly ketamine fuelled street wrestling with another group of fellas then go get each other shots and do the Macarena led by a drag queen

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Absolutely ludicrous puff-piece on Rachel Reeves by shameless bootlicker Laura Kuenssberg:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68521722

quote:

One fellow shadow minister says she "chews through calls and briefings", adding: "I have never, ever, ever, seen her unprepared."

Her public persona does not reveal her humour and human side, her colleagues say. She laughs loudly in Westminster's corridors and loves a glass of wine, they say. She belts out show tunes during campaign trips and listens to Beyonce when she runs.

She also fiercely protects time for her young family, they say - like many working parents, she crammed in making a costume for World Book Day last weekend, which she joked with colleagues about later.

But one of her friends says politically she is "hard as nails". Another member of the Labour front bench told me: "She is a normal, likeable, relatable person but you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her politically because she would probably eat you for breakfast."

She also effortlessly swims across the mighty Yangtze River, apparently, to the delight and astonishmen of all who witness it :rolleyes:

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Just a normal shadow chancellor. An innocent shadow chancellor.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Very Les Dennis in Extras. Yeah and he’s normal, likeable and relatable, so write that, make SURE you write that ALRIGHT

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

domhal posted:

Just a normal shadow chancellor. A succulent shadow chancellor.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jakabite posted:

You should travel more friend.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
She is the very model of a modern Labour minister

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m actually really well travelled (not trying to be a dick or anything), and love going out in other countries, but if I’m honest if I have to go out somewhere every weekend I’d pick here. Where do people think is better, out of interest? My immediate picks would be Mexico which ruled pretty hard, and Berlin for obvious reasons. Bangkok is pretty great as well, in a dream-state sort of way.

Most places have a few issues:

- Not much culture of talking to strangers, making friends for an evening then never seeing each other again.
- Closing far too early (London weirdly is like this), or being limited to clubs after about 2am
- Starting way too late and again being too club-focused
- Rubbish drugs
- e: after inputting from my partner, ill add ‘creepy men’. Not that that isn’t a huge problem here as well as it is everywhere, but it’s apparently worse in most of the rest of the world.

Bear in mind I live in Manchester, not like, Lincoln or somewhere, so I’ve got it good.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
its a lot worse than its been, post pandemic, but the UK has an absolutely insane local and live music scene

I remember being in Toronto and some guy being impressed with the number of gigs on when I showed him the listings for Glasgow. his mind was fully blown when I pointed out this was the listings on a Tuesday