Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Timby posted:

They pitched a Borg Queen origin story for an episode of the fifth season of Enterprise, they absolutely did. Shatner doesn't know what a Borg or Defiant is.

Were they going to say she was originally human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A good poster posted:

Were they going to say she was originally human?

A science officer on Enterprise, yes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
lmao

https://trekmovie.com/2024/03/09/picard-season-2-was-rewritten-after-paramount-deemed-it-too-star-trek-says-ep/

quote:

‘Picard’ Season 2 Was Rewritten After Paramount Deemed It “Too Star Trek,” Says EP

“We wrote nine episodes at one point and the network was like, ‘No, we don’t really understand this, it’s a bit too sci-fi, it’s a bit too in-Star Trek.’”

“There were Romulans—there was a whole thing. The idea was that Guinan’s bar was presented as a normal bar in Los Angeles, but if you knew the right thing to do, you could go into the back through the telephone phone booth and that was Rick’s Café and it was a stopping point for all these different species that were actually there on Earth with a ‘Do not interfere’ thing happening. So you had a lot more Star Trek happening in the backdrop of it. Ultimately, the powers that be at that time were like, ‘This is too much.’ But there were some really good ideas there that were pretty cool.”

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah that's the problem with it, LA is too sci-fi and shoehorning in some aliens under strained anachronistic pretenses is too Trek.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A bar where aliens meet? Insane. What about a bar where an alien character summons another alien character using a magic bottle? Now that's graspable

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
What if Star Trek but filmed behind my house?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Bullllllllshit.

Lol that the biggest difference he can mention is that the bar had a secret teleporter for aliens on safari.

Hilarious that the network deemed there was even more nonsensical crap "happening in the backdrop" that the viewer should be spared.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 10, 2024

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Imagine if the alien-hunting FBI agent was actually the time cop was actually on the trail of a bunch of aliens for crime reasons instead of just a guy who makes Picard’s life miserable for one episode

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

About whatever happened to Jurati's Borg:

Terry Matalas posted:

We did have a line on the Enterprise-D from Riker [...] We had a whole thing about it. But when we got to the cut, it was just like this big exposition dump that was like, nobody cares. His son is on board, Starfleet is assimilated. There’s this giant thing and now we are retrofitting and explaining the Jurati Borg.

:ughh: Yes, if there's anyone out there who hates little nods to continuity, and explanations that tie up these in-universe questions, it's Trekkies.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

he should just post explainers on instagram like chabon

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Riker: "We could try contacting Queen Jurati."
Picard: "I tried. She's pouring all of her Collective's resources into terraforming a new home."

Okay, pay me the big bucks now, Hollywood

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

holefoods posted:

he should just post explainers on instagram like chabon

God, Chabon's "well, actually, it makes perfect sense, you just didn't pay enough attention" screeds were so obnoxious.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Timby posted:

God, Chabon's "well, actually, it makes perfect sense, you just didn't pay enough attention" screeds were so obnoxious.

Reminds me of "no our show isn't too dark it's just most viewers don't have the right TV's to see our show." That the last season of GoT wheeled out.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
What if like 24 people were not credited as EPs and 16 of them had not left already before any broadcasts?

No, you are all steamed hams!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Monica Bellucci posted:

What if like 24 people were not credited as EPs and 16 of them had not left already before any broadcasts?

This gets lobbed at Discovery quite a bit and I don't think it's quite fair. I just turned on a random episode of Law & Order, and in the opening credits there were a total of 26 people credited as producer, executive producer, co-executive producer and associate producer.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Timby posted:

This gets lobbed at Discovery quite a bit and I don't think it's quite fair. I just turned on a random episode of Law & Order, and in the opening credits there were a total of 26 people credited as producer, executive producer, co-executive producer and associate producer.

I think you may have just proven the point...

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
My understanding of executive producers in modern TV is that most of them are just investors in the show where their only involvement is writing a check at the start and collecting royalties at the end

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Chairman posted:

My understanding of executive producers in modern TV is that most of them are just investors in the show where their only involvement is writing a check at the start and collecting royalties at the end

Executive producers are the people actually running the show (yes, in television, the executive producer(s) outrank the producers). Producers / associate producers are generally writers who have been promoted to supervisory roles.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Timby posted:

Executive producers are the people actually running the show (yes, in television, the executive producer(s) outrank the producers). Producers / associate producers are generally writers who have been promoted to supervisory roles.

This is making me realize that while I have a faint, fuzzy, outdated idea of what a director does (I imagine them sitting in a folding canvas chair and yelling "action" or "cut" through a big megaphone), I don't have the slightest loving idea what any of these producers or associate producers or executive producers actually, you know, do.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

This is making me realize that while I have a faint, fuzzy, outdated idea of what a director does (I imagine them sitting in a folding canvas chair and yelling "action" or "cut" through a big megaphone), I don't have the slightest loving idea what any of these producers or associate producers or executive producers actually, you know, do.

Like I said, in TV, the executive producer(s) are the people in charge of every aspect of the show: Supervising the writers and reviewing scripts, casting, budgeting, etc. Occasionally, executive producers will be credited for being involved in creating a show (like Bryan Singer on House, for example, or Bryan Fuller, who still gets an EP credit on Discovery despite being fired before a single frame of film was shot). Co-executive producers are a step down and handle a lot of logistical stuff and also writing. Same with associate producers--they're writers who have proven their mettle and have some supervisory role in the writing staff, often mentoring rookie staff writers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

About whatever happened to Jurati's Borg:

:ughh: Yes, if there's anyone out there who hates little nods to continuity, and explanations that tie up these in-universe questions, it's Trekkies.

he is consistent in a weird fashion here. he loves (sending others off to go) mining irrelevant references from other shows, he just hates having to acknowledge whatever happened in the previous season of this show.

"i really wanted to make picard season 2 more like men in black, but, like, the man thought it was too much. i had all these great ideas i couldn't do for reasons completely out of my control"

alright, how much loving cocaine does this guy do?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I don't believe any of this. It is crystal loving clear to who watched S2 that none of what they described would have ever happened because they had no loving budget for that season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

I don't believe any of this. It is crystal loving clear to who watched S2 that none of what they described would have ever happened because they had no loving budget for that season.

It's like a teenager in the late 90s/early 00s making a Star Trek show in his head on wishes and dreams, only he got to try and make it for real and proved in the process why you don't hire the kid who ran around the set of Enterprise getting Brannon Braga his early, mid, late and even later afternoon coffee as he ripped his hair out and contemplated suicide to make a big boy Star Trek of his own because... he loving sucked at on a behind the scenes level.

Chabon ran the show better and he got loving steamrolled into oblivion trying to do it. This is probably why #StarTrekLegacy ain't happening. Kurtzman can't square the circle of "how do we replicate a Picard Season 3 audience draw without the shitshow mess Matalas left in his wake trying to make it?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Seriously though all these post-mortem interviews reek of Matalas finally getting it through his head that his spin off is not happening so he's just spilling deets on what a shitshow his two season of Picard were behind the scenes in the most self-effacing way possible and still coming off like a giant knob.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

he just hates having to acknowledge whatever happened in the previous season of this show.

This is literally the only positive i have to say about the writing of season 3.

I am very much pro burying or contradicting things that suck, canon be damned.

Shame about the rest though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

The Arbor in arboretum refers to trees. This is supposed to be the tree room. But they can't have trees because the ceilings are too low. :( Some dumb admiral must be responsible for calling this an arboretum instead of a botanical garden.
I think the Ent-D blueprints (which I know aren't canon) show multiple arboretums, which makes sense giving the size of the ship. I always just assume the one we see on the show isn't "the" arboretum but more like the equivalent of a neighborhood park. Like the same thing with its shuttlebays.

I always liked the idea that these things on the back of the saucer were skylights for the main arboretum.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why did rebuilding the bridge cost so dang much anyway? Like yeah they have to upscale it for UHD, add more detail, but were they implementing real LCARS or something

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Why did rebuilding the bridge cost so dang much anyway? Like yeah they have to upscale it for UHD, add more detail, but were they implementing real LCARS or something

No idea, but again, take it from the man himself:

It was a binary choice between "hire a bunch of actors for scenes that would make mouthbreathing TNG era fans lose their poo poo" or "build the D-Bridge", and the money went to the D-Bridge.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 10, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Money laundering they can't blame it on the actor's salaries so they have to blame it on the one unique set they built for the season.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wanna know what dipshits at Paramount actually gave enough of a gently caress to even give the show notes.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think part of the expense was that they were recreating something made with techniques and materials that are no longer in use, was minimally documented, and slavish devotion to accuracy made it that much more time consuming and costly.

It's also a single use set that can't be used elsewhere to spread around cost, unlike how while you get the Stargazer, Titan and Enterprise-F out of one set with just a bit of redressing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I wanna know what dipshits at Paramount actually gave enough of a gently caress to even give the show notes.

It IS weirdly reassuring to know that after all this time of calling Picard Season 2 then Anti-Star Trek season, it was in fact made to be an Anti-Star Trek season by executive mandate.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

DaveKap posted:

I know suits can be infamously obtuse but I do not believe this story in the slightest

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seemlar posted:

I think part of the expense was that they were recreating something made with techniques and materials that are no longer in use, was minimally documented, and slavish devotion to accuracy made it that much more time consuming and costly.

It's also a single use set that can't be used elsewhere to spread around cost, unlike how while you get the Stargazer, Titan and Enterprise-F out of one set with just a bit of redressing

That's exactly it. People have to research the blueprints, source the materials, dig up the blueprints, and then people have to actually, y'know, build the loving thing, except now it has to stand up to HD quality, which the TNG set didn't. Which is why the the D bridge on Picard cost so much loving money.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Timby posted:

That's exactly it. People have to research the blueprints, source the materials, dig up the blueprints, and then people have to actually, y'know, build the loving thing, except now it has to stand up to HD quality, which the TNG set didn't. Which is why the the D bridge on Picard cost so much loving money.
Yeah I forget if it was you who said it or if I read/heard it elsewhere but all the work put in towards rebuilding the set included a chunk of work to make it so that if they ever wanted to do it again, it could be done in a much more manageable way that would be a fraction of the price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

8one6 posted:

Hard same.

Even if it was true, how the gently caress would a Star Wars cantina rip-off scene really improve the pile of poo poo that is season 2? If anything the suits at Paramount were right to be like “uh hey this is way too much, what the gently caress are you doing?”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I forget if it was you who said it or if I read/heard it elsewhere but all the work put in towards rebuilding the set included a chunk of work to make it so that if they ever wanted to do it again, it could be done in a much more manageable way that would be a fraction of the price.

Correct. People have to be paid for their time, and there were a lot of people involved in re-constructing the bridge, which is why the cost was so high. The set was struck but the actual pieces are currently in storage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Haven't people built 1:1 replicas of the D bridge that they probably would've let Paramount use practically for free just for the bragging rights?

Or is it one of those "we don't have absolute control over it and/or it's not explicitly designed for filming" things?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So again was Twelve Monkeys just some kind of collective delusion, a case of a show being buoyed along by hype about how good people think it is, or did Matalas just have some insanely talented and with it people around him to act as guiderails for the show? Or did he just get high on his own supply and let the euphoria of "holy poo poo I'm making a Star Trek show all by myself, no Brannon Braga and Rick Berman to hold me down this time!" just completely unmoor him from reality and people had to yank him back and go "You can have the bar, but you can't have the aliens because that costs money we don't have, Terry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Haven't people built 1:1 replicas of the D bridge that they probably would've let Paramount use practically for free just for the bragging rights?

Or is it one of those "we don't have absolute control over it and/or it's not explicitly designed for filming" things?

I think the guys at Ticonderoga have built/are building one? They’ve definitely said they want to do more than just TOS there, which is great.