Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Oh yeah, caveat with my post, we use free archetype so I'm taking Gravity Weapon, Disrupt Prey, Soothing Mist etc, AND Power Attack and Knockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Epi Lepi posted:

Oh yeah, caveat with my post, we use free archetype so I'm taking Gravity Weapon, Disrupt Prey, Soothing Mist etc, AND Power Attack and Knockdown.

I don't think that's how pathfinder society runs things. Ranger feats being bad is a thing I've seen in rpgbot guides but as I've already mentioned those guides are garbage.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
a lot of ranger feats are just stuff for snares, which are useless in most scenarios, tracking, which is super situational, stealth, which is fiddly to run even for classes that don't do melee, and shooting, which is fine as a backup but not what a two-handed melee wants to do because presumably strength is your main stat. this leaves it with a lot of open levels. fewer if you have companion, but gravity weapon is the only spell i'd truly say is always worth taking for this particular setup. soothing mist is a slightly worse lay on hands, so it's mostly worth taking. enlarge companion loses value compared to enlarging yourself because the main benefit is reach on reaction attacks, and depending on the nature of your game, enlarging might not be on the table at all because of dungeon space limitations. +1 to AC on the pet every fight is okay but not impressive. entangle with damage is pretty good, but your DC is behind a mainclass caster and it requires a plant covered surface which isn't a guarantee.

a bow ranger with a companion might find themselves with much less space, but either/or of not taking the companion or going for melee is going to leave you with a good few levels where you're like "i guess i'll take the stealth thing over the snare thing?"

a flurry ranger has a lot of room since, as above, pets are worse on a build where you want to try to spend all three actions attacking as much as possible. it can fill those gaps with shooty feats because agile weapon means finesse weapon 9 times out of 10, and there's also support out there for repeating weapons which let you do your gameplan there regardless. the difficulty is finding feats that support your existing ability to just go all-in on attacks, or give you things to do that are situationally better.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 5, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mister Olympus posted:

a lot of ranger feats are just stuff for snares, which are useless in most scenarios, tracking, which is super situational, stealth, which is fiddly to run even for classes that don't do melee, and shooting, which is fine as a backup but not what a two-handed melee wants to do because presumably strength is your main stat. this leaves it with a lot of open levels. fewer if you have companion, but gravity weapon is the only spell i'd truly say is always worth taking for this particular setup. soothing mist is a slightly worse lay on hands, so it's mostly worth taking. enlarge companion loses value compared to enlarging yourself because the main benefit is reach on reaction attacks, and depending on the nature of your game, enlarging might not be on the table at all because of dungeon space limitations. +1 to AC on the pet every fight is okay but not impressive. entangle with damage is pretty good, but your DC is behind a mainclass caster and it requires a plant covered surface which isn't a guarantee.

a bow ranger with a companion might find themselves with much less space, but either/or of not taking the companion or going for melee is going to leave you with a good few levels where you're like "i guess i'll take the stealth thing over the snare thing?"

a flurry ranger has a lot of room since, as above, pets are worse on a build where you want to try to spend all three actions attacking as much as possible. it can fill those gaps with shooty feats because agile weapon means finesse weapon 9 times out of 10, and there's also support out there for repeating weapons which let you do your gameplan there regardless. the difficulty is finding feats that support your existing ability to just go all-in on attacks, or give you things to do that are situationally better.

Yep this is exactly it. I've planned the character out to around 10 and there's so few feats to take if you're not using a bow or dual wielding.

However your idea of champion has really made me think. Now I might go Ancient Elf with the non-standard stat array, be from Jinin (so I can use a Naginata) and pick up Champion (it requires 14 cha, basically impossible for a dwarf) so I can wear heavy armour. Also makes me a much better intimidator. I wasn't really thinking of it but now it feels like a really nice way to go, where I'm a better tank and provider for the dinosaur and just in general really.
This then also lets me take gravity weapon at level 2

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mister Olympus posted:

Just checking, have you looked at the Remastered version of the Ranger's feats? I'm not going to say this isn't still kind of a problem (replace snares with "feats to make using crossbows interesting" where appropriate), but stripping the snare stuff out to be its own archetype and giving Ranger more broadly useful feats was one of their main goals for the class, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

I suppose there are other ways to get a fly speed, but animal feature (once you unlock the heightened version) is situationally useful for a quick and dirty way to fly for a minute.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Just checking, have you looked at the Remastered version of the Ranger's feats? I'm not going to say this isn't still kind of a problem (replace snares with "feats to make using crossbows interesting" where appropriate), but stripping the snare stuff out to be its own archetype and giving Ranger more broadly useful feats was one of their main goals for the class, and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

I have ONLY done remastered ranger and at least I feel the same way

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Lurks With Wolves posted:

yeah, i have the remaster. it didn't remotely go far enough for most classes, ranger especially. while that's kind of a disappointment, the existence of a wide spread of combat style archetypes to plug in those gaps still makes up for it. it does make me a bit less optimistic about alchemist and monk though

Taear posted:

Yep this is exactly it. I've planned the character out to around 10 and there's so few feats to take if you're not using a bow or dual wielding.

However your idea of champion has really made me think. Now I might go Ancient Elf with the non-standard stat array, be from Jinin (so I can use a Naginata) and pick up Champion (it requires 14 cha, basically impossible for a dwarf) so I can wear heavy armour. Also makes me a much better intimidator. I wasn't really thinking of it but now it feels like a really nice way to go, where I'm a better tank and provider for the dinosaur and just in general really.
This then also lets me take gravity weapon at level 2

champion archetype is just so ridiculously stacked i think it should be nerfed in some way. almost everything is worth taking on most classes. i don't think it needs heavy armor and lay on hands on top of the reaction, for example

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 5, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm well aware most of my dissatisfaction is just due to mediocre dice rolls constantly but god drat I am kinda down on rogue after reaching level 4 with one in kingmaker ap. Starting my PF2e experience with a power attacking fighter in AV has warped my martial expectations

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Rogue takes a while to build steam for sure but it does get there. It’s well established that I’m in the “fighter might be too good” camp but the disparity is especially visible at low levels in a way that smooths out after a bit.

One of the big advantages of pf2 compared to other dndlikes is that it expects you to actually play at every level from 1-20, and has plenty of material that goes all the way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PF2 is way more fun at like level 8+ than the lower levels imo

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

As a GM that has run two and a half adventure paths, opportunistic backstab + gangup thief rogue is probably the most terrifying thing I've seen in the hands of the players.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I've got the PF2E Legacy module loaded in VTT. Is there anything special I have to do to apply it to my Kingmaker game, or is it just there to look up effects on an ad hoc basis?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

KPC_Mammon posted:

As a GM that has run two and a half adventure paths, opportunistic backstab + gangup thief rogue is probably the most terrifying thing I've seen in the hands of the players.

That's the route I'm going, yeah. Even using an elven branched spear for reach.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is Metal really the weakest? I don't know much about Kineticist besides hearing people talk about them, but I've heard at least a couple of people using Metal. I've NEVER heard of anyone using Fire so I assumed it was the weakest. Is it just that Fire is boring or something?

According to some people who have done exhaustive analysis (lol) they are all great at low levels, but if you look at all 20 levels of progression metal falls off compared to the others.

This guy expected metal to be good and wood to suck, so I don't think it was innate bias. He seems genuinely surprised at the results after 5 loving hours.
https://www.youtube.com/live/essx7Ui4Cf4?si=U0H4c4joDm-apg7-&t=18648
Skip to 5:10:48 if it doesn't start there. (I "watched" the whole thing while playing videogames, it seemed solid to me.)

Since they all start out okay your character concept would totally work. You start with metal/fire (for forge) or metal/stone (for ore) and then if the game goes to those higher levels you branch out the stronger high level abilities of other elements. Or don't. The "worst" kineticist is still a solid class. Compared to all other classes a pure metal kineticist would probably still be B tier - not bad at all. It's just most other elements come out at A tier and Air at S tier.

Metal isn't a trap option, it's just not shiny and chrome. It's rusty and decayed. Because of this lady: https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Ferrumnestra Which isn't necessarily what people expect when they hear about a plane of metal.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you play PF2e on Foundry I've found a very nice token HUD that is around a month old. I like it much better than the Token Action HUD or whatever it's called, the one that puts the little buttons on top of your Foundry screen.

https://foundryvtt.com/packages/enhancedcombathud-pf2e

You do need to get the CORE version as well.

It parses out abilities pretty well, and the author is extremely active in development. It comes from 5e and shows it a bit but I found it more useful that the Token Action HUD, particularly when I got over the hump.

I also like that you can easily turn it off with a button if you need the real estate or want to run stuff off the sheet or whatever.

Anyway, I thought I would recommend it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Trying out Argon and I can't seem to figure out how to make the buttons on the abilities bar actually use the ability and not just link the description to the chat window. Not a fan of how this replaces the hotkeys.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Then don't use it. Or, click the cross swords button to hide it and get to the hotkeys, that's not a big deal to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Then don't use it.

lol ok then

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

It parses out abilities pretty well, and the author is extremely active in development. It comes from 5e and shows it a bit but I found it more useful that the Token Action HUD, particularly when I got over the hump.

Then don't use it. Or, click the cross swords button to hide it and get to the hotkeys, that's not a big deal to me.

Is the hump turning it off and not using it? Suggesting a module and then immediately shutting down conversation about it doesn't make me want to try it.

What does it do that makes it worthwhile? In my experience the more modules I install, the worse foundry runs, adding more modules needs a good reason.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 7, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's a Token HUD. Self-explanatory. I am not the developer of the module, nor do I care about it's "success" (whatever that looks like for a free, non-commercial module). I'm not really interested in pitching anyone on it or writing tutorials. My expectation was that people would try it out and poke around in the Settings. Clearly I needed to set my expectations differently.

In the spirit of that, a little tip: you can add Macro slots to the HUD with a trip to the Settings, or if you don't like that and want the original Macro interface you can hide the HUD really easily with one button press. I myself don't normally use Macros during Combat (since I'm the GM running the monsters), but use them during Exploration, so this works fine for me. I just turn it off outside encounters. My players use Basic Action Macros from PF2e workbench on the HUD. They seem to like it.

This thread has recommended me some helpful stuff (Extempore Effects has massively improved my GM QoL), so this was an attempt to try to do the same. If it's not for you, it's not for you.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I tried Argon a couple weeks ago, I didn't like it, either. Token Action HUD is fine, although I really like Interactive Token Tooltip.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I forgot I had signed up for the rulebook subscription, but I got a shipping notice for Monster Core.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Holy poo poo, that was one of the best tabletop sessions I've ever taken part in.

Outlaws of Alkenstar spoilers up through level 3/chapter 3:

We were assigned to track down the Powderkeg Punks, and discovered their hideout at the old widgetworks. We finessed our way into the hideout, and confronted the goblin gang leader, who offered us information if we pitted ourselves against a giant snake they were keeping and won. Feeling some swagger, we accepted the offer, and with some brief planning, we opened up the snake's lair.

Everything immediately went to hell. The snake acted first and, revealing itself to be a cobra, frightened the gently caress out of the entire party, before dropping the inventor with a crit. We did our best, but the cobra dropped my investigator on the next turn. Thankfully, our oracle got me back up off the floor with a wand of heal that we'd found, and our gunslinger kept the cobra distracted. We managed to persuade some of the Punks to try and deal with the snake that had now escaped its holding pen, giving the Oracle time to charge up Inner Radiance Torrent. While our Gunslinger kept providing covering fire and plinking at the snake, I fed a healing potion to the unconscious Inventor and spent a couple actions getting a crowbar from my backpack. The snake immediately chomped a Powderkeg and scared the gently caress out of them as well. The Oracle got to fire off Inner Radiance, but unfortunately the cobra saved for half damage, and attempted to retaliate... only to nat-1 twice, further boosting the Oracle's already massive ego.

It was at this point that everyone present collectively decided to just loving book it. The Oracle and Gunslinger bolted through the normal door, and my investigator used the crowbar to bust open some boards on a window, and we all loving beat feet as the snake got another Powderkeg. Amazingly, no one in the party actually died despite everything going to hell! ... It was only after we left that I realized that I'd forgotten to actually pick up the +1 whip that I dropped when I went down. WHOOPS that's gone now! I would be annoyed, but honestly, this outcome was so loving hilarious that I don't really care. I just wonder where the story is going to continue from here, since we basically entirely blew up the lead we were chasing. Best campaign loss I've ever taken.

This made for a loving great story to tell.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

champion archetype is just so ridiculously stacked i think it should be nerfed in some way. almost everything is worth taking on most classes. i don't think it needs heavy armor and lay on hands on top of the reaction, for example

I mean you only get the reaction by taking a feat at level 6 and you only get lay on hands by taking a feat at level 4
Which is fine and all but it's not that great

The dedication just gives you heavy armour and some skills

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Also unless it's changed in the Remaster, it's only trained in heavy, requiring a followup feat to pick up expert. This competes with the fact that if you have medium, then picking up heavy via Armor Proficiency scales.

(It doesn't look like it's changed.)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Expert heavy armor is only 1, maybe 2 AC at 20 behind master medium/light, in exchange for not needing to invest in dex at all. You're investing a bit in charisma instead for the dedication (if you don't have that stat associated with your class gimmick already), but charisma has the best combat-applicable skills outside of athletics, where dex has acrobatics, which is situationally good, stealth, which as mentioned before is an awkward build-around, and thievery which in most modules is basically a binary pass/fail for certain checks; either someone is hugely overinvested in thievery and handles all the locks, or you don't deal with lockpicking at all.

The reaction is also possibly the best reaction around, at least for paladin and redeemer compared to various attacks of opportunity, and lay on hands takes a notable amount of healing pressure off the combat medic. Also, picking up the holy tag on stuff is great value in certain APs.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 9, 2024

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

You also need 14 Str, which isn't the smallest ask for those who don't use it. This also helps given you're also likely to be encumbering yourself really easily otherwise, but you're also probably going to be eating the ACP, so -10 speed and -3/4 to all non-attack Str/Dex skills. If you're not using plate, then you're also tanking your Ref, especially vs non-damaging effects for plate users.
Having to eat -1 AC at 13 and -3 at 19 (for martials) unless you invest another feat is also another thing. If you're taking the reaction, incentivizing punching you with your lowered AC is not the smartest play.

Like it's definitely solid for those who can make use of it, but I wouldn't consider it overpowered or anything. The reaction is really solid, but I could make a very good case for Armor Proficiency + Blessed One.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

Expert heavy armor is only 1, maybe 2 AC at 20 behind master medium/light, in exchange for not needing to invest in dex at all. You're investing a bit in charisma instead for the dedication (if you don't have that stat associated with your class gimmick already), but charisma has the best combat-applicable skills outside of athletics, where dex has acrobatics, which is situationally good, stealth, which as mentioned before is an awkward build-around, and thievery which in most modules is basically a binary pass/fail for certain checks; either someone is hugely overinvested in thievery and handles all the locks, or you don't deal with lockpicking at all.

The reaction is also possibly the best reaction around, at least for paladin and redeemer compared to various attacks of opportunity, and lay on hands takes a notable amount of healing pressure off the combat medic. Also, picking up the holy tag on stuff is great value in certain APs.

Ye I'm completely down with getting Lay On Hands at level 4.
It's just a shame I don't get the reaction for free, I'd have to wait until level 6 which is quite a while really. (and I'm gonna be using that level for Mature Animal Companion of course)

Totally agreed with the armour though. I can increase my AC by 1, from 19 to 20. That's great and it's basically free since I got it via Ancient Elf. And as you say - Charisma based skills are really good. ESPECIALLY in PFS modules since they're currently obsessed with doing sections of chatting at people to increase your standing with them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Olympus posted:

Holy is a mixed blessing isn't it? If you are fighting unholy things they probably have unholy bonus damage which now only hurts holy things. So if you're in an AP with a lot of unholy things you both do more damage and take more damage. Glass cannon is the opposite of what champions are all about.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Holy is a mixed blessing isn't it? If you are fighting unholy things they probably have unholy bonus damage which now only hurts holy things. So if you're in an AP with a lot of unholy things you both do more damage and take more damage. Glass cannon is the opposite of what champions are all about.

Isn't it mainly that anything with a weakness to <alignment> is now weak to holy or unholy, depending? Or just weak to spirit in some cases. Normally players don't get weaknesses.

Cyouni posted:

You also need 14 Str, which isn't the smallest ask for those who don't use it. This also helps given you're also likely to be encumbering yourself really easily otherwise, but you're also probably going to be eating the ACP, so -10 speed and -3/4 to all non-attack Str/Dex skills. If you're not using plate, then you're also tanking your Ref, especially vs non-damaging effects for plate users.
Having to eat -1 AC at 13 and -3 at 19 (for martials) unless you invest another feat is also another thing. If you're taking the reaction, incentivizing punching you with your lowered AC is not the smartest play.

Like it's definitely solid for those who can make use of it, but I wouldn't consider it overpowered or anything. The reaction is really solid, but I could make a very good case for Armor Proficiency + Blessed One.

This is true, but the circle of "people who can't use it" is surprisingly small, and mainly confined to non-charisma casters or dexterity martials. That's not actually that many builds, in comparison to anyone who has some use out of strength and charisma.

More than anything it's just an extremely good 'default' choice for a wide range of builds, including some full casters, and I don't know if I like having that much of an obvious default.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 9, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some stat blocks have like 2d6 slashing + 1d6 evil. 6 months ago only people of good alignment took evil damage. Now evil becomes unholy and only people who are sanctified holy take unholy damage.

For example this guy:

quote:

Ceustodaemon
Creature 6
NE Large Daemon Fiend
Source Bestiary pg. 71
Perception +14; darkvision, see invisibility
Languages Common, Daemonic; telepathy 100 feet
Skills Deception +15, Intimidation +13, Stealth +12, Survival +10
Str +5, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha +3
AC 23; Fort +16, Ref +12, Will +12
HP 130; Immunities death effects; Weaknesses good 10
Speed 25 feet
Melee [one-action] jaws +16 [+11/+6] (evil, reach 10 feet), Damage 2d10+5 piercing plus 1d6 evil and vicious wounds
Melee [one-action] claw +16 [+12/+8] (agile, evil, magical, reach 10 feet), Damage 2d6+5 slashing plus 1d6 evil and vicious wounds

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ran my first session of Kingmaker last night and everybody had fun. The Influence system wasn't that great to run, but I kind of fudged the number a bit to make people friendly since my players focused on Discovery actions over Influence.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some stat blocks have like 2d6 slashing + 1d6 evil. 6 months ago only people of good alignment took evil damage. Now evil becomes unholy and only people who are sanctified holy take unholy damage.

For example this guy:

That part isn't true, here's what the holy trait says

quote:

unholy (trait) Effects with the unholy trait are tied to powerful magical forces of cruelty and sin. They often have stronger effects on holy creatures. Creatures with this trait are strongly devoted to unholy causes, and often have weakness to holy. If a creature with weakness to unholy uses an unholy item or effect, it takes damage from its weakness.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

yeah, anything that was an evil damage source is now (or should logically be) a spirit damage source with the unholy tag. alignment damage is all spirit now so it'll always take effect, except if something was already resistant/immune to spirit

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mister Olympus posted:

yeah, anything that was an evil damage source is now (or should logically be) a spirit damage source with the unholy tag. alignment damage is all spirit now so it'll always take effect, except if something was already resistant/immune to spirit

Oh, that's cool to learn. So those guys that had +evil damage are generally more dangerous now, because it isn't just the opposing alignment that gets hurt? Nice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Remaster is now up on AoN

https://2e.aonprd.com/

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I haven't looked through all the changes in the remaster yet, so our group has kind of been shifting slowly over when we notice stuff.

Some monsters have the ability to grab as an action with no save that the player can give. One of my players was complaining about that and I kind of agreed with him. I was searching and saw they put an updated grab in Rage of Elements.

https://2e.aonprd.com/MonsterAbilities.aspx?ID=45

Should I be using this version of grab for every monster with "grab" on their attacks?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

gurragadon posted:

I haven't looked through all the changes in the remaster yet, so our group has kind of been shifting slowly over when we notice stuff.

Some monsters have the ability to grab as an action with no save that the player can give. One of my players was complaining about that and I kind of agreed with him. I was searching and saw they put an updated grab in Rage of Elements.

Should I be using this version of grab for every monster with "grab" on their attacks?

So some people have found that worse for big things, because they're going to win on Athletics in the vast majority of cases, and now it can also restrain you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

gurragadon posted:

Yes. Restraining a character instead of just grabbing them is pretty great.