Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Jabor posted:

it sucks that late-game commanders without access to blue just get wrecked. but i think most bug commanders end up in the higher queues, so you don't run into it often if you're playing some gimmicky trash

I'm trying out a bunch of new decks especially with the new alchemy cards and ran into two nonmeta commanders that won with ultimatum, then I swapped to admiral brass just so I could get wins with a non homebrew and ran into a pair of kenriths that also won with ultimatum

idk if the matchmaking got shaken up with the new cards but boy was it making me wish I still enjoyed control in brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

just run jetmir and smash, all day every day

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Maybe this is a scrubby opinion but I feel like Brawl would be better if they blanket banned cards that tutor the same way they do with Pithing Needle effects, feels like it goes against the spirit of singleton

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Did another MKM Premier. I'm not super interested in the Alchemy cards, and contrary to some previous sets, I don't really feel the need to spice it up - the format is quite deep and diverse, so I'm nowhere near bored.

https://www.17lands.com/draft/67a5c3beb9fa424ab18acbf40915f64c

4-3. I lost one game to a big mistake - not exiling my own card with a Gravestone Strider, which would have given me two Outline triggers, and thus I could have maybe found an answer to their pressure (also gotten another 2/2 ofc). Chalk that up to not enough experience with the archetype, I even forgot that Outline gives you Clues lol

Another game was extremely fun to lose, actually:

They figured my deck looked cooler than theirs, so they stole the whole thing!

Forgot what the problem with the last loss was, doesn't matter! Really fun deck, tough to play tho

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 9, 2024

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Did another MKM Premier right after

https://www.17lands.com/draft/dedc263869684962bc2772eed9c2fee3

Very interesting first pick decision between Teysa and Izoni. I chose the former, because a) comes out quicker, b) White is the best color and B and G are not, c) had a few Izonis already but no Teysa. I could stay the Orzhov course with two Wispdrinker Vampires, because for once W seemed pretty open (last pick Museum Nightwatch open).

We played a few rounds, unfortunately it's 1-2 at the moment. One loss was to my own Teysa...they had Forest Forest Island Island, so I felt super safe playing her. They untapped, played a Swamp, and Coerced to Kill'd her. I almost made it regardless, but the pressure was too much. Second loss was to Rakdos aggro where they were just always a bit more assertive, forced me into a bit worse blocks, and I could never stabilize. Won a mirror at least (ALSO close because they had On The Job, which I lack unfortunately). Hoping for a bit of a turnaround.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Is this an ok place to ask critique on a brawl deck list or would that go in the normal mtg thread that is less limited focus?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah this is the place for any arena stuff. There are just a bunch of limited nerds itt and draft posts can be much longer and more common by nature than those for other formats. There's definitely one Brawl fan on the thread because their posting the other day has had me tinkering around with Brawl this week.

Mostly losing with Rocco Street Chef, I just want to see him through to a victory at least once before moving on. His weakness seems to be every better deck.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

nah, don't worry and show us the deck

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Is this an ok place to ask critique on a brawl deck list or would that go in the normal mtg thread that is less limited focus?

anything arena is best to post here. the other one tends to be more focused on non-arena stuff.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

nah, don't worry and show us the deck

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/JN9fRA_l_EqnhgIq-tz-yA

Thesis: A somewhat thematic LOTR baddies/Nazgul deck with landfall elements since I'm already landsteal ramping with Smeagol

I haven't really gone too deep into crafting for this deck, just using mostly stuff I had. I know my mana base could use a lot of work.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

djfooboo posted:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/JN9fRA_l_EqnhgIq-tz-yA

Thesis: A somewhat thematic LOTR baddies/Nazgul deck with landfall elements since I'm already landsteal ramping with Smeagol

I haven't really gone too deep into crafting for this deck, just using mostly stuff I had. I know my mana base could use a lot of work.

I've never built smeagol, but I've thought about it. Pops up in queue occasionally and can go off pretty hard, looks fun. I dunno how crazy you want to go with wildcards but I'm just gonna throw some stuff out there

Just searching through cards that tempt you
Sam's Desperate Rescue is doing 2 things the deck likes for 1 mana and is a common
rise of the witch-king is like a 3 for 1 with smeagol on the board, uncommon
Bombadil's song protects your guys and is the hard to find instant speed ring tempting, can set up even more tricks with landall and lvl 3/4 ring tempting mid combat - also a common
One Ring to Rule Them All might stop you from getting run over by the big creature decks, it also might just be too slow since it telegraphs the board wipe. dunno how good this is without trying it, but I would want to try it.

Jadar is a two card engine with smeagol

Bloodgast can die every turn
Tireless Provisioner is a landfall all-star (and uncommon)

You could use some way to sac your own creatures, Yawgmoth is the strongest but its also mythic. But it might even be worth just playing Village Rites or Deadly Dispute. maybe priest of the forgotten gods or even the witch's oven for a repeatable outlet at uncommon.

There are some generically strong cards you could think about - Go For the Throat, Infernal Grasp, Heartless Act - all uncommon kill spells that are more than fine in any black deck
Everyone loves Thoughtseize except when they're not the one casting it
I put delighted halfling and cultivate into pretty much every green deck, Coldsteel Heart and Into the North are generically good 2 mana ramp (both common), like the Mind Stone. (if you add Into the North, include a woodland chasm into addition to the snow basics)

As for cuts, understanding that you're probably limited by wildcards, here's the stuff I would remove as you start bringing in other stuff -

The artifacts are a little iffy. Sculpting Steel and Howling Mine should go for sure, and I am always disappointed in the Swords of ______ although they are not awful
Rise of the dark realms is too expensive for what it is, even if you don't go for the stuff listed above, pick some other big game ending thing you already have
Mardu Outrider and Akawali are just stats
The ramping green enchantments should become Cultivate and something else

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 9, 2024

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Holy poo poo just hit DIAMOND with my homebrews, boys! My opponents must have all flooded BAD for this to have happened.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Born in Bexhill posted:

Holy poo poo just hit DIAMOND with my homebrews, boys! My opponents must have all flooded BAD for this to have happened.

Congratulations! What are you playing?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
IMO it's really easy to underestimate "I know what my deck is doing, and what my opponent's meta deck is doing, while my opponent has no idea what my deck is doing." When you're really off meta you absolutely notice your opponents making the totally wrong call on what to actually disrupt.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

Eeevil posted:

Congratulations! What are you playing?

Thanks! I usually cycle through a bunch of different decks but I almost went from plat tier 1 (in standard) all the way to diamond undefeated with this 3-color Dino deck:

Deck: Ahhhh, Italia!
2 Huatli, Poet of Unity (LCI) 189
5 Plains (LCI) 393
2 Quintorius Kand (LCI) 238
8 Mountain (LCI) 399
8 Forest (LCI) 401
2 Gishath, Sun's Avatar (LCI) 229
1 Triumphant Chomp (LCI) 170
3 Belligerent Yearling (LCI) 133
2 Saheeli's Lattice (LCI) 164
1 Scytheclaw Raptor (LCI) 165
2 Ixalli's Lorekeeper (LCI) 194
1 Dinotomaton (LCI) 144
1 Seismic Monstrosaur (LCI) 166
1 Intrepid Paleontologist (LCI) 193
3 Pugnacious Hammerskull (LCI) 208
1 Nurturing Bristleback (LCI) 203
2 Palani's Hatcher (LCI) 237
1 Ravenous Sailback (MOM) 202
2 Soaring Sandwing (LCI) 35
1 Rampaging Raptor (MOM) 160
2 Get Lost (LCI) 14
2 Bushwhack (BRO) 174
2 Cosmic Hunger (MOM) 182
1 Chimil, the Inner Sun (LCI) 249
1 Copperline Gorge (ONE) 249
1 Battlefield Forge (BRO) 257
1 Razorverge Thicket (ONE) 257
1 Quintorius, Loremaster (MOM) 250

I ended up not quite making it with that one so I switched to alchemy for a change of pace (yeah, I’m that guy…). It took a few more games but I got there with a mono black vamps deck:

Deck: Vamp Tramp Stamp
1 Smogbelcher Chariot (Y23) 11
3 Dusk's Landing (Y24) 10
23 Swamp (LTR) 267
2 Legion Reconsecrator (Y24) 11
1 Chitinous Crawler (Y24) 9
1 Gix, Yawgmoth Praetor (BRO) 95
1 Vraan, Executioner Thane (ONE) 114
1 Markov Baron (MAT) 14
1 Preacher of the Schism (LCI) 113
1 Bloodletter of Aclazotz (LCI) 92
2 Queen's Bay Paladin (LCI) 115
3 Tithing Blade (LCI) 128
3 Echo of Dusk (LCI) 104
2 Vampire Opportunist (ANB) 65
2 Vein Ripper (MKM) 110
1 Tarrian's Journal (LCI) 126
1 Bitter Triumph (LCI) 91
1 Eternal Thirst (ANB) 49
2 Go for the Throat (BRO) 102
1 Invasion of Innistrad (MOM) 115
1 Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal (LCI) 88
1 Phyrexian Arena (ONE) 104
1 Gix's Command (BRO) 97
1 Soulhunter Rakshasa (ANB) 62
1 Invasion of Fiora (MOM) 114
1 Cavern of Souls (LCI) 269
1 Breach the Multiverse (MOM) 94

Idk if I can get to Mythic with stuff like this, probably not. I just like to climb using the cards I naturally open. Also, I hate net decking. In early-mid plat I played decks with cards like Throne of the Grim Captain, white/black phyrexians, and blue/black self mill.

Apologies if I formatted those lists awfully!

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

IMO it's really easy to underestimate "I know what my deck is doing, and what my opponent's meta deck is doing, while my opponent has no idea what my deck is doing." When you're really off meta you absolutely notice your opponents making the totally wrong call on what to actually disrupt.

This. It gets to the point where you can literally call their plays…I’ve told so many Shellys to “GET LOST!” on the turn they come down. So many opponents just jam the cards right into removal.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

reignonyourparade posted:

You know, I'd been having a little trouble articulating why my extremely silly soldiers deck performs well above what it should reasonably be capable of (still not great, but I get to Platinum in a reasonable amount of time each month), but this is basically it. Opponents see my Azorius Soldiers and never see it coming when I drop Baird, Anim Pakal, Tajic, or Darien XLVIII using Cavern of Souls/Plaza of Heroes. Also, they see Elspeth and absolutely lose their minds, even wasting hand rip on it rather than actual threats in my hand, because they seem to think she's a wincon when she's really just a midgame value generator (well, occasionally her -2, and even less often, her -6, lets her enable a game-winning play, but that's a rare occurrence and I'm usually just slamming her +1 to keep swarming the board). They also seem to be shocked that the deck with blue mana has counterspells in it whenever I use Protect the Negotiators.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I didn’t think I was going to make so many Mondraks, but cool.

Game sure didn’t like it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I've never built smeagol, but I've thought about it. Pops up in queue occasionally and can go off pretty hard, looks fun. I dunno how crazy you want to go with wildcards but I'm just gonna throw some stuff out there

Wow! thanks for all that. Yeah, it is a fun deck that can win even when landfall doesn’t pop off via Nazguls and big bodies being a large threat. A lot to ponder and tinker with in there.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

djfooboo posted:

Wow! thanks for all that. Yeah, it is a fun deck that can win even when landfall doesn’t pop off via Nazguls and big bodies being a large threat. A lot to ponder and tinker with in there.

The tinkering is what keeps me playing brawl. Even with the decks that I've played with a ton and feel pretty dialed in, there's always several cards that feel negotiable

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The tinkering is what keeps me playing brawl. Even with the decks that I've played with a ton and feel pretty dialed in, there's always several cards that feel negotiable

Yeah, I just love singleton formats. Back in the day :rip: when we had regular Apprentice tourneys on this very forum where users could suggest wacky deck building rules for upcoming weeks, singleton anything was what I looked forward to. I just like the idea of scrappy decks that aren’t always consistent.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Christ there are so many Voja decks on Brawl now. I hope Voja gets alchemized to remove that Ward because goddamn it might as well have hexproof at that point. Or I hope for my one Void Rend in hand I guess?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Trying out Alchemy Draft cause why not. Rare drafted my way into an absolute mess of a RU deck that splashes for Aurelia. Just won a game because my opponent played that spell that Time Twister's but conjures 7 cards from the opposing players deck. Was an absolute incredible feeling using their mythics to completely dominate the poo poo two drops my deck gave them.

Alchemy rules? :shrug:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
You know, the new Tajic in the Alchemy set is great, but I'm seeing a lot of people misusing him pretty badly. One deck put him out with no actual support or synergy, and rather than hold him back as an indestructible blocker, swung in with him every turn when I could just chump block him (score another one for Elspeth, since the attacks were directed at her; seriously, is Planeswalker Derangement Syndrome a thing?), so I put Anim Pakal out and gnomed him to death while he was open. Another deck paired him with Siege Veteran, rushing him to Aurelia by adding extra +1/+1s, but skipping most of his other drops, so I wound up winning just by having a bigger board thanks to getting all my Tajic summons, despite his Tajic having higher stats. The only summon I'd skip on Tajic is the Spark Trooper, since it doesn't stick around.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

When was the last time we got a ban in brawl? not counting auto-banned stuff like natural order thats banned before it comes out. Was it Agent of Treachery?

I feel like they've stopped paying any attention to brawl. Emergent Ultimatum and Paradox Engine have needed to go for a long time. Poq and Voja probably need rebalancing or matchmaking adjustment. Also you shouldn't be able to play The First Sliver without 15 other slivers in your deck. I suppose I could be flexible on that last one but drat.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Brawl changes I want:

No alchemy poo poo
Paradox Engine ban
Omniscience ban
Ban Hexproof/Cannot be countered commanders
Ban Golos

The Chatterfang+Pitiless Plunderer combo can gently caress off too. I wish there was a ban category for cards that absolutely need to be mutually exclusive. Not powerful enough to be banned by themselves, but X card and Y card can not be allowed in the same deck.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

only change I want is officially announce hellqueue exists, tell us what 10 commanders are in it, and communicate to the players that, barring a long matchmaking wait, you will only be matched up with them.when you yourself are playing them.

let the tryhards smash Kinnans into Poqs, let us fair Tinybones players do our thing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the top decks getting matched against each other isn't a secret, they outright announced it when it was implemented

it's also a bit more complex than "here's the best 10 commanders," there's a bunch more decks than that that are considered top tier and it's at least partially also based around what's in your 99.

they do need to refresh it more often though bc I agree poq is overdue to get pushed to just other top decks

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
They’ll put Poq into the hell-queue as soon as they release another busted commander to take its place. They are so slow to adapt.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
hey FYI there is a clue item in the shop today that you can buy for 0 gold that causes a mail to appear in your inbox with a prompt for entering the next code in the series that they are doing.

the code you want to enter is impeccable (spoilered for those who want to figure out the answer for themselves)

solving the clue and entering the code gets you 500xp and a card style for "The Chase Is On"

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I can typically beat Poq with my Aragorn deck, I’m much faster than them and can chump block most of their big dudes with 1/1 tokens, and I run just enough bounce/exile to sneak past them. They typically don’t run removal and Aragorn has to be removed.

If I don’t ramp and if they do ramp into all the really big green bullshit then yeah it’s GG.

Voja is much more annoying because removal sucks against it. Basically have to be running counters or wipes or it’s going to run you the gently caress over.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wiazrds will you please put First Sliver and 4 mana Atraxa in loving hell queue where they loving belong? All of the 4 color and 5 color bullshit belongs together, not against normal decks for fucks sake.

And yeet emergent ultimatum into the loving sun where it belongs.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

4cmc Atraxa comes in a lot of flavors. I can usually dunk +1/+1 counters or Planeswalker-spam Atraxa. Poison counters Atraxa is living on borrowed time unless I'm on the play and can shut down the creature presence rapidly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbqh I really think if you're running into a bunch of top commanders you're probably running a commander that's considered willing to hang with them, even if you don't think it should (especially if it's a homebrew of yours)

either bump up the power level of your deck and make sure it's got the interaction you need to deal with their poo poo or try a different commander. at the very least, post the deck you're playing

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Took a couple months off Magic, but I played my first few MKM drafts today and yesterday. This one seemed a bit of a mess while I was drafting but it was good enough for 7-0 in the silver ladder. Not sure I'm a big fan of the disguise mechanic, I've been playing long enough to remember morph the first time around and this is much more annoying. But I do love investigating and this deck had plenty of it, Evidence Examiners drew me so many cards. Spot removal doesn't seem so great in this format in general but cheap bounce spells are still insane, Unauthorized Exit won me probably 4 games this league. I think Public Thoroughfare is probably worse than I thought, a double tapland is a big early cost.

In Standard I've been playing Boros Convoke, seems like my previous go-to of Mono W humans has fallen entirely out of the meta at this point. I'd love to be playing a control-tempo deck but I'm not sure there's anything competitive in that archetype at the minute and I don't have the wildcards to play full on control.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Someone's having the best draft of their life, egad.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
9000 coin Draft token in the store today

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Buy it with gems it’s cheaper, btw.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Been playing Mono W control in the BO1 standard queue and while this build has a lot of room for improvement I've been having OK success. Not exactly a quick way to get your daily wins in, but that's the control life. Been wondering about Tocasia's Welcome in there: while the deck has decent game against aggro as long as you draw one of your many sweepers you are going to be drawing way behind against other control decks. I would prefer to cut Lunarch Veteran but it does help the Mono R matchup a lot. Also thinking about playing a surveil land and some restless manlands over the Mishra's Foundries.

Deck
3 Sunfall (MOM) 40
10 Plains (UST) 212
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Mirrex (ONE) 254
3 Mishra's Foundry (BRO) 265
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
3 Lunarch Veteran (MID) 27
4 Wedding Announcement (VOW) 45
3 The Wandering Emperor (NEO) 42
1 The Eternal Wanderer (ONE) 11
3 Clay-Fired Bricks (LCI) 6
3 Get Lost (LCI) 14
1 Farewell (NEO) 13
2 Expel the Interlopers (WOE) 13
2 Ossification (ONE) 26
4 Demolition Field (BRO) 260
1 Elspeth Resplendent (SNC) 11
1 Loran of the Third Path (BRO) 12
1 Serra Paragon (DMU) 32
3 Lay Down Arms (BRO) 11
2 Sunken Citadel (LCI) 285
2 Roadside Reliquary (NEO) 272
1 Virtue of Loyalty (WOE) 38
3 Candy Trail (WOE) 243

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Someone's having the best draft of their life, egad.

That's a brave mana base