Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That was me. I love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Aloy giving the player hints out loud is the thing that turned me off the first horizon. I'll probably finish em both one day BC the story seems dope and a lot of the gameplay issues I have with them are kind of my issue rather than an endemic problem but it's incredibly immersion breaking for me to just have aloy think out loud about what I should be doing and imo shows a lack of faith in their game design

Someone posted this earlier during the Painted climbing walls saga (which Horizon has buckets of):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSB29qx6sWw&t=2286s
Game devs (At least the God of War ones) design around the player having the.... attentiveness.... of DarksydePhil.

They've painted the walls and people still constantly miss the neon painted wall to climb.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is a completely abstract 'thing dragging games down' that only just struck me: modern multiplayer games are only designed to play with existing groups of friends, they're not an avenue to make new ones.

I think that's lame as hell, because I've realized the thing keeping me away from Helldivers is that I think it should do that and doesn't. It should be possible for me to make Helldivers Friends that primarily exist to me within the context of Helldivers, but that particular type of community friend-making only really exists in games that are holdovers of earlier eras, like Final Fantasy XIV. If I'm only gonna play Helldivers with the friends I already have, then I'm just not gonna play it, because we already play other games together.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lobok posted:

There's a pretty popular remake game that just came out that answers that question.

Okay superficially these seem correct, but I put it to you that FF7 was actually for eggs like myself who simply took an unusual amount of care in making sure we got EVERY item at the best possible grade for the crossdressing quest and could not even dream of anything less than maximum effort.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

FF7 Rebirth has retroactively made me feel bad about thoughtlessly murdering so many Shinra grunts now that I've gotten to know the dudes and dudettes of the Midgar 7th Infantry.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Leal posted:

Whoever OK'd the meteors in Helldivers 2 is a freedom hating commie.

Strong agree

Definitely not cool to be randomly one shot out of nowhere with virtually no way to see it coming, particularly if you're in a high difficulty where there are a lot of other things to concentrate on, or if you're extracting and therefore can't move very much (and there are even more things attacking you to concentrate on)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The Tomb Raider DLC for Powerwash Simulator is not enough polishing up priceless stolen artifacts and way too much wet t-shirt contests. Requesting a refund.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I found kind of dumb about the Dragon's Dogma 2 character creator is how the hair colors have numbers and while regular and facial hair the numbers match up for some reason the eyebrow color doesn't.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Evilreaver posted:

Strong agree

Definitely not cool to be randomly one shot out of nowhere with virtually no way to see it coming, particularly if you're in a high difficulty where there are a lot of other things to concentrate on, or if you're extracting and therefore can't move very much (and there are even more things attacking you to concentrate on)

The narrowing spotlight effect shows where they're going to land so you can at least avoid ones dropping in front of you, but it happens so fast that if one is coming down right on top of you there isn't much time to dive out of the way. Was running hazard 7 missions the other day on the automaton planet with the mech suits and meteors probably accounted for 50% of our team deaths.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ms Adequate posted:

Okay superficially these seem correct, but I put it to you that FF7 was actually for eggs like myself who simply took an unusual amount of care in making sure we got EVERY item at the best possible grade for the crossdressing quest and could not even dream of anything less than maximum effort.

You know, it probably says something about me that I first played FF7 in 2016, and all experience before then was either cultural osmosis or reading a walkthrough for fun, and I still remembered that the best dress to ask for was one that's soft and shimmers.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Nioh 2: This game expects way too much of me. I have to handle like 8 weapons, three stances, two attacks + ranged attacks, weapon swapping, locking and dodging, parrying and on top of all that some kind of action-reload gimmick I don't quite understand. I just don't have it in me :(

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022
Catching up on the BG3 level cap chat:
I think this is a symptom of the bigger problem of using a mostly complete D&D ruleset in a CRPG. As a D&D game, they can't not do it, and the generic main/bonus action system gives the a lot of freedom to add wacky powers, but it's not well designed overall.

In BG3, I don't need to measure distance and positioning in fractions of a meter. I don't intuit that a fighter can attack 3 times per action, and also, one first level healing spell costs the same action. Why does jumping around give such huge mobility gains and why does it cost the same resource as drinking a potion? There are huge gaps in the level tree where nothing interesting changes, and the capstone level 12 feat was where I ran out of interesting options and just took the +2 ability bonus.

Turn based games like Into the Breach, XCOM, and Invisible Inc. show how a tightly designed, purpose built system can be so so good.

The BG3 story is 10/10, and more than makes up for it, but the D&D trappings don't help it be a better game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

FF7 Rebirth has retroactively made me feel bad about thoughtlessly murdering so many Shinra grunts now that I've gotten to know the dudes and dudettes of the Midgar 7th Infantry.

Yeah, the Junon section is great, I wish I could have seen my own face when I went into the bar. What I find annoying is it also does the thing a lot where you kill lots of grunts on the way to the bosses, as in, their literal corporate bosses not the videogame term and then the characters almost kill them until someone goes "no Cloud, that's not right, there's a better way!" and it's like.... well, maybe but this person has continued to gently caress with us every time we've let him off so maybe we should actually just kill him this time? There's about 5 characters this applies to.

Also there's a scene where Cloud kills a lot of grunts in a cutscene and it's framed as if this is an awful thing but again... you and the entire rest of the part do that all the time in actual gameplay. It's a bit distinct from the Uncharted ludonarrative complaint cause that's like, the jokey tone clashing with the murdering and the "I just wanna be done with all this globe trotting thievery" plot. In this it's an organised group where they've all agreed they need to do what they're doing, to save the literal planet, they kill lots of people and are mostly fine with it but then when it comes to the enemies who are actually the ones doing the ordering of all the atrocities and such, they always balk (and I know it's because ultimately a lot of them have to appear in the 3rd game or whatever, just have them not be at the mercy of our protags constantly then).

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

CzarChasm posted:

I will say that if you go to the menu and look at the list of things that need to be cleaned, you can click on the item in that list and it will highlight and flash repeatedly until it is cleaned.

TY for this. That should help when I get back to the game. :tipshat:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TenTimesLessByOne posted:

Catching up on the BG3 level cap chat:
I think this is a symptom of the bigger problem of using a mostly complete D&D ruleset in a CRPG. As a D&D game, they can't not do it, and the generic main/bonus action system gives the a lot of freedom to add wacky powers, but it's not well designed overall.

In BG3, I don't need to measure distance and positioning in fractions of a meter. I don't intuit that a fighter can attack 3 times per action, and also, one first level healing spell costs the same action. Why does jumping around give such huge mobility gains and why does it cost the same resource as drinking a potion? There are huge gaps in the level tree where nothing interesting changes, and the capstone level 12 feat was where I ran out of interesting options and just took the +2 ability bonus.

Turn based games like Into the Breach, XCOM, and Invisible Inc. show how a tightly designed, purpose built system can be so so good.

The BG3 story is 10/10, and more than makes up for it, but the D&D trappings don't help it be a better game.

None of those things seem bad though? +2 ability score isn't a bad pick at all, it's a significant power jump. I don't really get the point about using the same resources either, what resources should they use?

I mean dnd is far from elegant, but i don't understand how those are examples of it.

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

sebmojo posted:

None of those things seem bad though? +2 ability score isn't a bad pick at all, it's a significant power jump. I don't really get the point about using the same resources either, what resources should they use?

I mean dnd is far from elegant, but i don't understand how those are examples of it.

I'm mostly complaining about the limitations that D&D puts on the combat and class/level design. They did a good job making it work, but it could have been better and more coherent if they could make their own systems.

Bonus actions power too many things: special movement, class features, some item abilities, potions. My melee ranger Tav never used hunters mark, because it was almost always better to jump past chokepoints and AoOs. Karlach never rages to start combat, because she needs the extra movement from jump to close in.

I'd love to see an action economy where all of movement is one resource, main actions scale similarly across classes, and class features are mostly free, maybe limited only by uses per short rest.

XCOM does the movement+action thing very well, where you can easily understand where you are, where you can get to, and what you can do once you get there. IMO, it was a big improvement over 90s X-COM, with action points governing movement and shooting, and too much granularity in how to spend them. The movement in BG3 reminds me of that granularity.

Levelwise, every one of the ranks in XCOM gives you a specialization choice for the class and none of them are +2 to a stat. They give big new options, situational bonuses, or survivability. So many of the level ups in BG3 are "more hp, another use of your class feature per short rest, no choices." The feats do have some good options, but I took the interesting/character defining ones at levels 4 and 8, and all that is left at 12 is a flat 5-10% improvement in consistency. I want another interesting choice as I hit max level.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

credburn posted:

Nioh 2: This game expects way too much of me. I have to handle like 8 weapons, three stances, two attacks + ranged attacks, weapon swapping, locking and dodging, parrying and on top of all that some kind of action-reload gimmick I don't quite understand. I just don't have it in me :(

Good news then, you can beat the entire game and all DLC's by using a single weapon type and stance, the game isn't as strict as it looks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
TenTimesLessByOne you’re not wrong that the 5e D&D design that BG3’s class design is based on is pretty boring. Basically there was an immediately previous edition of D&D (4e) with extremely exciting build choices at every level, but that version was popularly reviled by many long-time fans of D&D for being too much of a change from preceding editions of D&D (missing fan-favorite elements, missing archetypes of how classes did play, etc.)

5e was intentionally simplified and included “dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices as a design goal to feel closer to what many fans wanted D&D to be. Sadly that simplified, few choices edition is the one that became super popular with “actual play” streams of tabletop games and the interest in nerd poo poo during the pandemic. Larian actually added some significant choices in BG3 that aren’t in the base system at all, like all the weapon special attacks.

It should be noted no actual 4e video games were created, Atari basically sat on the D&D license for most of a decade.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Closest to a 4E game was Neverwinter.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Arivia posted:

5e was intentionally simplified and included “dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices*

unless you have Spellcasting, of course.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

TenTimesLessByOne you’re not wrong that the 5e D&D design that BG3’s class design is based on is pretty boring. Basically there was an immediately previous edition of D&D (4e) with extremely exciting build choices at every level, but that version was [extremely financially successful but performatively] reviled by [knee-jerk reactionaries, many of the more figureheady of whom have since been outed as racists and worse, and also useful idiots who were] fans of [the preceding edition of] D&D for being [described as] too much of a change from [the preceding edition] of D&D [despite being a considerably smaller change than 2e to 3e] (missing [the ability on release to recreate everything that existed in a previous end-of-life product with over a decade of splash books], missing [gnomes. loving gnomes missing from the first book was a centerpiece complaint])

5e was intentionally designed [to court the worst and most regressive people in the hobby, up to and including the lead designer sending serial abuser and D&D 5e credited consultant Zak S the full personal details of his victims when they complained] and included “dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices as a design goal to feel closer to what [vocal gamergate types claimed they] wanted D&D to be. Sadly that simplified [for some classes, considerably more complex and confusing for most classes], few choices [for some classes, considerably more complex and confusing for most classes] edition is the one that became super popular with “actual play” streams of tabletop games and the interest in nerd poo poo during the pandemic. Larian actually added some significant choices in BG3 that aren’t in the base system at all, like all the weapon special attacks.

It should be noted no actual 4e video games were created, Atari basically sat on the D&D license for most of a decade.
Weird-rear end phrasing in the first half there Arivia, I helped you out a bit but I could only do so much.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Mar 10, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Whoever OK'd the meteors in Helldivers 2 is a freedom hating commie.

I love them. I was doing a bug mission the other day and suddenly like half a dozen notifications popped up saying we destroyed nests all over the map.

Arivia posted:

TenTimesLessByOne you’re not wrong that the 5e D&D design that BG3’s class design is based on is pretty boring. Basically there was an immediately previous edition of D&D (4e) with extremely exciting build choices at every level, but that version was popularly reviled by many long-time fans of D&D for being too much of a change from preceding editions of D&D (missing fan-favorite elements, missing archetypes of how classes did play, etc.)

5e was intentionally simplified and included “dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices as a design goal to feel closer to what many fans wanted D&D to be. Sadly that simplified, few choices edition is the one that became super popular with “actual play” streams of tabletop games and the interest in nerd poo poo during the pandemic. Larian actually added some significant choices in BG3 that aren’t in the base system at all, like all the weapon special attacks.

The thing that always sticks out most to me about 4e complaints is that it, by far, was the best edition that addressed the martial vs. caster disparity by making martials really fun and really cool. The people who hated 4e threw a fit saying this was "too anime" and other such remarks and thus when 5e came out, martials were back to sucking and forever thus martials have been once more condemned to attacking like, an extra time per turn or something and maybe doing more damage per round to a single target with all their effort and action than a lazily cast fireball.

So, you know, people complain about martials sucking again.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's funny reading the subreddit for the upcoming new edition of D&D because like, there's so many posts that are just 'here are my ideas for fixing martial classes' and every time it's a list of stuff that 4e had already done.

Anyway D&D will never be good again until they bring back the Warlord class, thanks.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Martial classes are actually the best classes in BG3 by a longshot, mostly because "extra attacks" and "extra damage per attack" are insanely strong in a turn based video game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Weird-rear end phrasing in the first half there Arivia, I helped you out a bit but I could only do so much.

Good job adding all the pointless editorializing and edition warrioring that I intentionally left out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Why don't D&D fans simply play the edition they want?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I haven't played AD&D since like 2000, and I recently got into a Vampire: The Masequerade group. The entire session is like 10% roleplaying, 10% combat, and 80% complaining about Dungeons and Dragons editions. I wanted to stand up and shout WE'RE NOT EVEN PLAYING DUNGEONS AND GODDAMN DRAGONS GIVE IT A REST

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

I assume it is a support issue where older editions don't have any new content coming out for them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

A lot of people do, there’s a whole movement that’s been around for two decades called the OSR about playing the edition of D&D that you want. But there’s a ton of social pressure to play the new poo poo too, with the networking effect of it having most of the new players and official events, to all the discussion online being about shiny new books.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

mycot posted:

Martial classes are actually the best classes in BG3 by a longshot, mostly because "extra attacks" and "extra damage per attack" are insanely strong in a turn based video game.

It's true that 5e half-assedly fixed the balance from 3e so that martial characters are kinda good (still not balanced but better), but they still took away all the cool and interesting options from 4e. If you're a wizard or a cleric you have interesting choices every single round, if you're a fighter or a barbarian you do the same thing every single round.

In BG3 they fixed the balance further by adding more options for added damage and stuff. They're still boring though. That's actually a good thing if you're playing single player and you have to think about four characters' abilities, but it's still boring to play a martial character in multiplayer.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have finished Alan Wake 2 and thought the Saga parts were much better than the Alan parts. Also, I just got lost on the story. Scene by scene, things are cool and i think i am up to speed but then something is said or happens and I realize i am lost and have been lost for quite awhile. The technical issues I spoke about previously were never patched and combat became a chore as the game went on. I rarely buy games anymore (around 3 a month now) but I should have waited until this one went on sale before purchase. As a giant Remedy fan, and Alan Wake in particular, this felt disappointing.

9/10

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
In a single-player game with a party, a relatively more lean character design like BG3's martial characters isn't too bad. You're gonna have magic-users with a lot of potential expression and power in your party anyway, you're not losing out on that by also having someone whose main skillset is 'Swing A Hammer At It'. And having those characters also helps the magic-users, because if Wyll runs out of juice, Karlach can still walk into melee and start breaking poo poo, so you're less sparing with resources.

None of that applies in a tabletop setting, where every character is only played by one person.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Good job adding all the pointless editorializing and edition warrioring that I intentionally left out.
Lol no you didn't.

e: one of the many, many disadvantages of being someone I admire is that that I hold you to Standards in the areas that I admire you for. You're far too politically active to not see that your original post is not a neutral description, even within the bounds of there being no such thing as a neutral description.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Mar 10, 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobok posted:

WotC would only allow third party publishers to do 4e content if they signed a contract to stop selling any 3e stuff, which meant that for publishers established in the very open and permissive 3e ecosystem (a) they literally could not afford to change over to publish 4e stuff and remain in business and (b) a mass changeover of fans from 3e would pose an existential threat to their business. Instead of publishers gracefully transitioning to the new mechanics and updating their settings and stories to fit them, WotC turned the pillars of their publishing ecosystem against the new edition, resulting in one of the fiercest edition wars in trpg history, which still has repercussions for the dnd brand today.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Mar 10, 2024

TenTimesLessByOne
Aug 15, 2022

Arivia posted:

Basically there was an immediately previous edition of D&D (4e) with extremely exciting build choices at every level, but that version was popularly reviled by many long-time fans of D&D for being too much of a change from preceding editions of D&D

5e was intentionally simplified and included “dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices as a design goal to feel closer to what many fans wanted D&D to be.

Yeah, I played 4E back in college, and had a good time. Wild how far they they swung from it.
I think something like that would have solved my combat issues nicely. It makes sense, given it's a minis on a grid tactical system.

Agreed with Cleretic and DontMockMySmock. The Martial/Caster divide is not as big an issue in the game as in person. Being able to to put out 60 to 120 damage in a turn with Lae'zel is a satisfaction all it's own in single player.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Forza horizon 4 has a LOT going on. Constant pop ups and cutscenes and stuff. Cars constantly being thrown at you, new events, slot machine things and way more points than you need to qualify for showcase events.

It's a lot to deal with and really breaks the flow of what could be a fun open world racing game

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Randalor posted:

"Listen, if they didn't want the British coming along and taking all their ancestral relics, maybe their ancestors shouldn't have made them centuries ago."- The British for a long time

to be fair another level has you go into literally British Museum, murder a bunch of security guards, and steal an artifact out of their hands.

The original Tomb Raiders were some of my first games growing up and at the time 3 was probably my favorite, but yeah holy poo poo coming back to it I was floored by a bit of a constant stream of "who the gently caress okayed this." I actually think gameplay-wise they aged a lot better than I expected; after a decade of Assassins Creed style "push the analogue stick up and press x to auto-summit Everest," the platforming in the old Tomb Raiders is refreshingly predictable and skill based. But the cultural depictions range from "I guess this way okay in the UK in the 1990s" to "why the gently caress was this okay in the UK in the 1990s," and it makes me a bit ashamed that it didn't once strike kid me how racist that Pacific level is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

D&D started to become much more popular with 5E starting with Critical Role / Dimension 20 and now BG3. Convincing a crowd of mostly newcomers to learn 4E when all they've seen of D&D comes from fifth edition is kind of a non-starter. They wanna play the version they see on youtube.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

D&D 5 is not so much designed around the idea of "this is what would make for good gameplay" as it is around "this is the brand you need to buy if you want to make crazy plans and annoy the DM like in the memes and games and the movie and in CR".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Koramei posted:

to be fair another level has you go into literally British Museum, murder a bunch of security guards, and steal an artifact out of their hands.

The original Tomb Raiders were some of my first games growing up and at the time 3 was probably my favorite, but yeah holy poo poo coming back to it I was floored by a bit of a constant stream of "who the gently caress okayed this." I actually think gameplay-wise they aged a lot better than I expected; after a decade of Assassins Creed style "push the analogue stick up and press x to auto-summit Everest," the platforming in the old Tomb Raiders is refreshingly predictable and skill based. But the cultural depictions range from "I guess this way okay in the UK in the 1990s" to "why the gently caress was this okay in the UK in the 1990s," and it makes me a bit ashamed that it didn't once strike kid me how racist that Pacific level is.

I mean it shouldn't have been OK in the UK in the 90s but I ask you to bear in mind that the Black and White Minstrel show didn't go off tv until 1978 and then it toured a live show for another decade after that, and there are still plenty of people here that are mad that you can't send off tokens from Robertson's jam to get one of their racist mascots any more, a thing they only stopped doing in 2001.