Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My issue with the piano minigame is the fact that something like the following frequently happens -

1. There a bunch of notes coming up
2. I mistakenly trigger one early, or don't trigger one
3. Now all the notes are considered off for some reason

It's not clear to me exactly what's happening here, but I think it's related to the fact that hitting a note way too early removes that note from the "queue," and then this causes all my following notes to not register. Like I'll try to hit the note I mistakenly already hit early, and I think the game counts it as "a wrong attempt to hit the next note," which then removes that note, and this continues as all subsequent notes are missed.

It's not a huge deal since I still A-Rank everything, but that's because A-Rank is very forgiving. It just feels bad to suddenly have all the notes on the screen disappear while I'm trying to do them, and I don't know why. If not for that weirdness with the controls, I'd be willing to try getting star ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ytlaya posted:

My issue with the piano minigame is the fact that something like the following frequently happens -

1. There a bunch of notes coming up
2. I mistakenly trigger one early, or don't trigger one
3. Now all the notes are considered off for some reason

It's not clear to me exactly what's happening here, but I think it's related to the fact that hitting a note way too early removes that note from the "queue," and then this causes all my following notes to not register. Like I'll try to hit the note I mistakenly already hit early, and I think the game counts it as "a wrong attempt to hit the next note," which then removes that note, and this continues as all subsequent notes are missed.

It's not a huge deal since I still A-Rank everything, but that's because A-Rank is very forgiving. It just feels bad to suddenly have all the notes on the screen disappear while I'm trying to do them, and I don't know why. If not for that weirdness with the controls, I'd be willing to try getting star ranks.

This is standard rhythm game mechanics everywhere. You get one chance on a note and if you mess it up early the note no longer registers as a note to hit for subsequent attempts.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
My issue with the piano minigame is that I'm doing fine with the right stick, then a single note comes up on the left stick, I panic, and miss 10 in a row

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You can miss a fair amount of notes on faster note speeds. I butcher those compositions constantly but somehow get an A.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It not only works, but the character will choose the most appropriate spell. For instance Aerith will usually cast Aero but if something is strong to wind or weak to lightning, she will cast lightning. Same deal with elemental materia. I have Cloud setup with Elemental+Fire and Ice and he will choose the most appropriate element for whatever enemy he's fighting.

Holy crap. This changes everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NicelyNice posted:

My issue with the piano minigame is that I'm doing fine with the right stick, then a single note comes up on the left stick, I panic, and miss 10 in a row

Honestly same

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Endgame spoilers:

in the OG, it’s very easy to say “oh no, aeris, cloud is going to be really hosed up by this”

But in the remake series, I’m mostly feeling for Tifa. They were besties. The final cutscene really lingers on Tifa, too, so maybe this is how I’m supposed to take it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord_Magmar posted:

This is standard rhythm game mechanics everywhere. You get one chance on a note and if you mess it up early the note no longer registers as a note to hit for subsequent attempts.

Yeah, but it doesn't work very well with the use of the analog stick as the trigger. Just doesn't feel very good/intuitive for situations where you have multiple quick notes next to each other, since the line between "triggering a note" and "not triggering it" is just a position along the continuous movement of the stick.

Basically the end result is that I'm not actually sure what I did wrong. My description is vague because I'm not actually sure where my mistakes are. I'll just suddenly have an entire set of notes be wiped out.

NicelyNice posted:

I'm actually fine with this part, probably due to actually playing piano some IRL (from the age of like 6-16; I kinda sucked, but the basics still stick with you), so I can mentally process the left side pretty easily. It's the parts with quick runs of notes on the right that mess me up.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 10, 2024

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Didn't bother with the QB tournament at all on the boat. I think I did the right thing skipping it and letting Red win the entire thing

I'll go back to it later.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My biggest issue with the piano mini game is my PS5 controllers keep having drift issus

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I see they wanted to pay homage to those PS1 platformers with terrible camera and by no means to control it with the gliding minigame. Boggles my mind that both sticks control the chocobo and not in a one is for horizontal control and the other is for vertical. No, both function the same.

It's not hard, it's just the camera and the imprecise analogue works against you. That and the 3rd course requiring you to time your start is some poop.

Game's also propaganda for non-inverted controls.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I see they wanted to pay homage to those PS1 platformers with terrible camera and by no means to control it with the gliding minigame. Boggles my mind that both sticks control the chocobo and not in a one is for horizontal control and the other is for vertical. No, both function the same.

It's not hard, it's just the camera and the imprecise analogue works against you. That and the 3rd course requiring you to time your start is some poop.

Game's also propaganda for non-inverted controls.

Anyone remember the hosed up FFX chocobo stuff where you had to directly account for the camera perspective changes?

I remember stuff like "immediately after passing this point you need to jam the analog stick all the way to the right to keep going straight"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

They should've put Catcher Chocobo in this IMO.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s date night and oh my god this version of the play.

On the one hand, Aerith best girl. On the other hand, Nanaki best boy. On the third hand, I totally wanna pick Barret just to see what happens.

This is such a sadistic choice. :laffo:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

On the one hand, Aerith best girl. On the other hand, Nanaki best boy. On the third hand, I totally wanna pick Barret just to see what happens.

The Tifa date is canon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The game goes default to Aerith if you go with Barret or Red, but uh, yeah, the Tifa date's ending is one hell of a thing to be optional.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

triple sulk posted:

The Tifa date is canon

ImpAtom posted:

The game goes default to Aerith if you go with Barret or Red, but uh, yeah, the Tifa date's ending is one hell of a thing to be optional.

Oh gently caress the Avalanche members showing up at the end :cry:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

It'd be pretty boring if every open world area was a wide open plain

Okay but if they want to make it hard to navigate they should at least have GPS guide you to your waypoint.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The costa del Sol plot point that the shinra middle manager from remake is having a full blown identity crisis meltdown is just a really funny bit that Im enjoying watching unfold

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The costa del Sol plot point that the shinra middle manager from remake is having a full blown identity crisis meltdown is just a really funny bit that Im enjoying watching unfold

I'm enjoying all these Remake characters coming back a lot more than I thought I would have lol. I hope we see this guy in Remake 3 in some kind of Cactaur association.

edit: EXCEPT KYRIE

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One thing I miss from Remake are the post-battle comments each character had. They'd change over the course of the story too. They were super limited but was kinda fun to hear. Of course they repeated a ton and that was with controlled encounters.

But then again they have like two hundred billion variants of all the songs so why not a ton of back and forths? Gotta save something for the 3rd game I guess.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I'm enjoying all these Remake characters coming back a lot more than I thought I would have lol. I hope we see this guy in Remake 3 in some kind of Cactaur association.

edit: EXCEPT KYRIE

Kyrie turned me around on her with her theme song tbh

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How the gently caress do you fight these jellyfish enemies in Gongaga? As far as I can tell all you can do is cast Fire spells at them and hope you catch them when they aren't transparent, but that's difficult because you can't reliably build any ATB off of them (due to them dodging most attacks).

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Goodnight, pippily jesus vhrist this game own a lot

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pollyanna posted:

I got Cid and Vincent for the date :shepface:

Pretty sure that's the worst choice you can get lol

e: Well, for the second date, that is. For the first I got Aerith.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 10, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you fight these jellyfish enemies in Gongaga? As far as I can tell all you can do is cast Fire spells at them and hope you catch them when they aren't transparent, but that's difficult because you can't reliably build any ATB off of them (due to them dodging most attacks).

Wait until they stop moving/start casting and pop them with one of Tifa's heavy triangle moves. I think if you constantly mash attack they'll keep dodging, so just stand around blocking for a bit.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I need to hear the version of Due Recompense that goes "WORK WORK WORK" asap my body yearns for it again

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
How am I supposed to beat this Dune Worm without someone getting swallowed? I’ve tried literally 10 times dodging, blocking, and switching characters to avoid it and nothing has worked. Is there some gimmick I’m missing?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
goddamnit why are reno and rude so good in every scene i'm supposed to want to hate them for all the mass murder they did

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seph posted:

How am I supposed to beat this Dune Worm without someone getting swallowed? I’ve tried literally 10 times dodging, blocking, and switching characters to avoid it and nothing has worked. Is there some gimmick I’m missing?

yuffie’s brumal form

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That reminds me, did Brumal Form get hellanerfed since Intermission? I swear it used to be way easier to land and now feels like you have to be way more precise, meanwhile Cloud's Counterstance feels like it lasts minutes (although maybe that's just the counter window and not the guard window).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Welp, I guess I spoke too soon about the piano stuff because if the Cosmos Canyon's sheet is a taste to come then I'm not achieving anything.

They really need to tone some of these minigames down. Some are well balanced while others bust your balls.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it helps to keep in mind that star ranks are entirely for personal satisfaction, you can muck up the songs pretty thoroughly and still get an A and all the rewards

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at the end of chapter 11 and this is the first section i've encountered where rebirth's story changes were sort of a letdown on two main points, one understandable, the other less so

i get there's no way that they could have done nibelheim the same way again and making it into a hospice for the sephiroth thralls was a neat adaptation, but it doesn't come close to the disturbing atmosphere of the original's corporate potemkin village. less excusable was shinra manor. i was delighted to see yin and yang again but the fight against them was miserable and cait's gimmick sucked. barret is right there! he can shoot things, with a gun! why am i chucking crates to clear obstacles?

as for the other bosses, lost number (not using its new name because it's lame) was fun and probably less of a horror than it was in the original, but gallian beast made me sweat more than any other boss i've encountered so far, probably because cait's dopey puppet gimmick can't really contend with its speed. some carl clover vs. taokaka nonsense

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
While I'm asking things, what is the point of the Cetran Bangle/Armband armour? For no materia slots, it apparently boasts supreme defense, or so is written in its description, but it's got like one or two points on the next tier below with amounts of materia slots that are not only not zero but are four or five or six. Do they do something special?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Seph posted:

Dodge immediately before the attack actually touches your character, the dodge window is .1 seconds long.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I'm on chapter 7 and just went from Corel to the Grasslands by backtracking through the mythril mines, since fast travel between zones is unavailable. Now it looks like that trip through the mine was one-way. I get to a part with a broken elevator and there's no way to get back up to the scaffolding that I jumped down from on my way back. Now I have to decide if I should lose several hours of progress or just retire and spend the rest of my days in Kalm.

edit:
Found the chocobo carriage at Bill's ranch and got back that way. I'm guessing if I hadn't done the quest in Junon area to get the carriage running, I'd be stuck in Grasslands forever.

asciidic fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 10, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh no...they started adding time limits to the moogle stuff

I also feel like navigating Gongaga is going to get pretty frustrating, because I just spent like 20 minutes trying (and failing) to figure out how to reach one of the towers. It's obvious that some mushroom is supposed to send you there, but I have no clue where that mushroom is. So I'm just scouring the surrounding area.

On the upside, the large number of unlockable fast travel points helps some.

big mean giraffe posted:

Dodge immediately before the attack actually touches your character, the dodge window is .1 seconds long.

I actually didn't have much luck doing it this way. The way that works best for me was to dodge towards the worm as soon as it leaves the ground. Trying to dodge at the last moment rarely seems to work, while I don't think my "dodge towards them as soon as they leave the ground" strategy has failed yet.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they want shady posted:

Goodnight, pippily jesus vhrist this game own a lot

I lost it at the music. It made the whole thing worth it.

ImpAtom posted:

I have no loving clue how they did that and not have it be the "default" that the game pushes you towards (such as with Aerith in the OG) given the weight of what happens.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seph posted:

I've found Dodging towards it tends to work best..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Oh no...they started adding time limits to the moogle stuff

This elevated that mini-game from annoying to infuriating for me.

As a bonus, reducing difficulty does not appear to increase the time limit, reduce the number of moogles, or alter their behavior in any way. Boo.