Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A still from my film is the thumbnail for the entire comedy shorts program at Boston Underground Film Festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

if by versus you mean BALLISTIC: ECKS VS. SEVER

Why would anyone ever mean that instead of Versus?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A still from my film is the thumbnail for the entire comedy shorts program at Boston Underground Film Festival.

Link

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hell yeah, hoss!

Sadly knowing what the acronym stands for has ruined my fantasy that it was just a bench of film nerds doing bicep curls.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm going to be a dissenting voice and say that I thought Imaginary was fun, if not forgettable. Absolutely no scares at all -- I'd call it closer to a supernatural thriller than a straight up horror movie -- but it occupies that nice PG-13 niche of movies where you can put it on for teens and start to ease them into the harder stuff. The first half is pretty bog standard of what you'd expect, and then a psychologist shows up and the movie leans hard into being funstupid in a charming way. The best spooky scene in the movie is stolen from another movie (I won't name it, but you'll know it when you see it), but it did have some really fun PG-13 visuals in the last act that were better than I was expecting given the previous movie.

Again, if you're a genuine horror goon, there's probably nothing for you here. It's not as broadly insane fun as M3GAN was, but it's a tidy little PG-13 thing you could show to just about any kid and not scare them too badly. It's a nice appetizer for something harder down the road.

[Edit: Also, there was a few funny moments (on purpose) that made me chuckle. Blumhouse's new jam must be 'melodramatic things in a funny way' because there's at least two of them that I got a kick out of.]

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hell yeah, hoss!

Sadly knowing what the acronym stands for has ruined my fantasy that it was just a bench of film nerds doing bicep curls.

Also it's in Cambridge rather than Boston itself (still within the Boston metropolitan area) so really it should be CUFF

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also it's in Cambridge rather than Boston itself (still within the Boston metropolitan area) so really it should be CUFF

where is it my gf works in cambridge and i wanna see your movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah more details

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's in the Brattle Theatre on March 23rd at 4:45 pm as part of the Friendship is Magic shorts program.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ayyyy! Keep killing it dude!

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Brattle owns, one of the few things I miss about the city

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Pitch Black loving rules. drat. Just rewatching it and except for just a few parts of wonky CGI it holds up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's in the Brattle Theatre on March 23rd at 4:45 pm as part of the Friendship is Magic shorts program.

HAH IM NOT WORKIN THAT SAT I SHALL BE THERE

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

HAH IM NOT WORKIN THAT SAT I SHALL BE THERE

See you there, brother.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I see the first possible murder of the horror thread is shaping up nicely. MZ and I have often debated when it would occur.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm going to be a dissenting voice and say that I thought Imaginary was fun, if not forgettable. Absolutely no scares at all -- I'd call it closer to a supernatural thriller than a straight up horror movie -- but it occupies that nice PG-13 niche of movies where you can put it on for teens and start to ease them into the harder stuff. The first half is pretty bog standard of what you'd expect, and then a psychologist shows up and the movie leans hard into being funstupid in a charming way. The best spooky scene in the movie is stolen from another movie (I won't name it, but you'll know it when you see it), but it did have some really fun PG-13 visuals in the last act that were better than I was expecting given the previous movie.

Again, if you're a genuine horror goon, there's probably nothing for you here. It's not as broadly insane fun as M3GAN was, but it's a tidy little PG-13 thing you could show to just about any kid and not scare them too badly. It's a nice appetizer for something harder down the road.

[Edit: Also, there was a few funny moments (on purpose) that made me chuckle. Blumhouse's new jam must be 'melodramatic things in a funny way' because there's at least two of them that I got a kick out of.]

Came to post almost exactly these thoughts. I had no expectations since I never watched any ads for it, which were lowered by the thread and review headlines and .. had a perfectly okay time. It’s a MESS in a lot of ways and I also would not recommend it as a hidden gem or anything like that, but you might have fun with it when you can catch it for free!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've got the Alamo pass, so seeing Imaginary is gonna cost me $2 (plus beers). I guarantee I'll have $2 worth of fun (probably helped by said beers)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Day of the Beast (1995) is my new favorite Christmas horror movie after seeing it for the first time a year or two ago.

Just watched this now that it's on Shudder. :rubby: that was so much chaotic fun. Loved that all three main characters were good and insane

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I often feel like I've seen every recent(ish) horror movie out there. The ones I deem to be worth watching, anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Pitch Black loving rules. drat. Just rewatching it and except for just a few parts of wonky CGI it holds up.

And Vin Diesel's acting at the end. That didn't hold up when it was new. Such a sour note in a gem of a movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Frogman was interesting but it shouldn’t take 40 minutes for your main story to get going in your 80 minute movie. The last 40 was good tho. Just takes a whole 40 minute hike to get there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From Beyond loving owned. The climax is basically perfect, just the perfect climax to a film like this. I can't imagine making something that cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s why Stuart Gordan was the goat

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

huh posted:

I often feel like I've seen every recent(ish) horror movie out there. The ones I deem to be worth watching, anyway.

I've cleaved through every mainstream horror and every hidden gem horror and now all that's left is poo poo that gets uploaded to pirate sites because they couldn't even distribute it as a dvd to a gas station

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Open Source Idiom posted:

From Beyond loving owned. The climax is basically perfect, just the perfect climax to a film like this. I can't imagine making something that cool.

Exactly how I felt when I watched it for the first time this year. I hollered at the top of my loving lungs at "You don't even know how to make love!" "THEN SHOW ME.". So so so cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d like to rewatch from beyond because the horniness took me a back a bit. Didn’t really expect it lol. Obviously the reanimator films have that element but it was more perverse and threatening where’s this one had some weird rear end poo poo lol

But it ruled though. A good rewatch where I know what’s coming would be fun.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

From Beyond is one of those movies I’m really glad I have on blu-ray because it’s one of those horror movies that, because it’s not a franchise with a bunch of sequels, constantly disappears from streaming service at the drop of a hat and you can’t really be sure it’s going to return to one

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
From Beyond is the movie that was on my watchlist for the longest time. I used to see the VHS box of it every time we went to the video store when I was a kid but obviously my parents wouldn't rent it. Finally I saw it was streaming late last year and got to see it. Loved it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Re-Animator and From Beyond double bill is a yearly tradition, two basically perfect movies.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It really sucks that Bride of Re-Animator is bizarrely difficult to get ahold of in the US on a format that isn't a standard DVD. The UK Arrow release was cool, and I think that briefly had a US run until it went out of print and that was long before I was interested in buying it myself. Re-Animator, Bride, and From Beyond are one hell of a triple bill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got bride on Blu ray at fye a few years ago. It was a steelbook.

And it’s also on tubi rn too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edit huh weird. I guess it is hard to get

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It really sucks that Bride of Re-Animator is bizarrely difficult to get ahold of in the US on a format that isn't a standard DVD. The UK Arrow release was cool, and I think that briefly had a US run until it went out of print and that was long before I was interested in buying it myself. Re-Animator, Bride, and From Beyond are one hell of a triple bill.

Bride is such a great movie. I enjoy it more than one at this point.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollismason posted:

I see the first possible murder of the horror thread is shaping up nicely. MZ and I have often debated when it would occur.

I pity the future True Crime podcaster who'll have to sift through thousands of pages of horror threads for context and have to read a dozen different incarnations of Friday the 13th rankings.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Getting sidetracked for half a season arguing over the best ranking, eventually ranking the rankings

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Bride is such a great movie. I enjoy it more than one at this point.

For me, Re-Animator is basically as perfectly-paced a movie as you're going to get, with absolutely flawless character moments and themes, but Bride is the most rewatchable because of how wild and weird the slapstick can get. I love them both so much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From Beyond is ok I guess

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

I pity the future True Crime podcaster who'll have to sift through thousands of pages of horror threads for context and have to read a dozen different incarnations of Friday the 13th rankings.

Last podcast would do it willingly

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Any time you get Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton together it’s a good time.

Re-Animator, From Beyond, Castle Freak, Trancers II (ok, maybe not that one).

I’d love to see those two paired back up in a modern horror movie. Imagine them playing a weird neighbor couple in a haunted house movie, or relatives of Charles Lee Ray on the Chucky TV show, or like an evil pastor and his wife in some kinda cult thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

huh posted:

Oh the ones you deem worthy eh? Debase yourself!!!