Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Haven't people built 1:1 replicas of the D bridge that they probably would've let Paramount use practically for free just for the bragging rights?

Or is it one of those "we don't have absolute control over it and/or it's not explicitly designed for filming" things?

I assume that's the "It has to look good enough for 4k" part, there are some parts of the original set that were clearly not meant to be looked at in that much detail (I understand some bits of the HD restorations give things away), so you have to now make sure everything looks camera-ready from every reasonable angle (which is more than there used to be because TV is shot way more cinematically these days.)

But yeah I also forgot about lost techniques and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I assume that's the "It has to look good enough for 4k" part, there are some parts of the original set that were clearly not meant to be looked at in that much detail (I understand some bits of the HD restorations give things away), so you have to now make sure everything looks camera-ready from every reasonable angle (which is more than there used to be because TV is shot way more cinematically these days.)

But yeah I also forgot about lost techniques and all that.

Which is weird because the way the last two episodes of Season 3 were filmed I thought for sure they were on some cheap CG set extension of the D-Bridge and the only parts that were real were the wood arch and the ops and conn consoles so that the cast had a place to sit or stand as a frame of reference. I was shocked as hell to find out it was a real set and a real expensive set to boot.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Haven't people built 1:1 replicas of the D bridge that they probably would've let Paramount use practically for free just for the bragging rights?

Or is it one of those "we don't have absolute control over it and/or it's not explicitly designed for filming" things?

It's not just bits of set itself, it has to be in a place where you can setup all the lighting/have space for all the crew/made in a way that won't burn itself to the ground and kill everyone when a gaffer tries to pull several thousand volts from the local electrical system and push it through cables embedded in the walls. There's a massive difference between building something that can have a few LED lights and looks alright shot on a DSLR for YouTube and something that is production ready for a 4k TV show.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah a fan recreation would be a horrible film set.

Apart from the visual fidelity needed, it has too many drawbacks.

Can't move walls, can't rig or light easily, very unlikely to be in a soundstage and likely in an inconvenient location (can they set up a unit base near by? Can you park a bunch of trucks next door? Is it even in the right state? Etc...)

Building the set is the only viable option, but only using it for a single episode was a poor use of resources. For a regular series the cost is dramatically offset by it being the primary shooting location and getting several years of usage out of it.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 10, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Seemlar posted:

It's also a single use set that can't be used elsewhere to spread around cost, unlike how while you get the Stargazer, Titan and Enterprise-F out of one set with just a bit of redressing

Lmao they get one shot and they splattered straight diarrhea.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Every time I consider watching Picard just to round things out I hear something else that makes me not want to bother.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's not even worth watching to mock.

Some people say the start of the final season is good enough - as long as you stop at episode 4.

But knowing it was all pointless mystery boxes sucks all the fun out of it for me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The trouble is, they weren’t even good mystery boxes. This thread called every ‘twist’ several episodes in advance, sometimes as a joke example of what the worst thing would be. And then it happened on screen. :sigh:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Every time I consider watching Picard just to round things out I hear something else that makes me not want to bother.

This is a completely rational stance. PIC has active contempt for the viewer, so unless you're feeling especially masochistic and just really want the TV to hurt you, you miss nothing pretending it doesn't exist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Look up the Shaw Wolf 359 speech from Picard S3. It's literally the only good scene in the whole show.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The_Doctor posted:

The trouble is, they weren’t even good mystery boxes. This thread called every ‘twist’ several episodes in advance, sometimes as a joke example of what the worst thing would be. And then it happened on screen. :sigh:

And most none of them even made sense after the fact.

Why did the villain have a ship full of bird people*? Oh, they were Changelings. But why were they disguised as birds and spoke bird language? Oh, maybe they were stuck in those forms and couldn't shift? */scenes where they shapeshift/*

Why did the villain cut off her hand to talk to the secret villain in charge of everything? Oh, maybe they were another Changeling from the Gamma Quadrant. Lol, nope. Just loving Borg again.

*Also, the villain shooting the bird people for no drat reason despite Changelings never harming each other has been one of their core traits since they were first established.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Look up the Shaw Wolf 359 speech from Picard S3. It's literally the only good scene in the whole show.

Yeah that was loving intense, really on par with like the opening to DS9 in terms of relatable dramatic acting. "I'm just a dip poo poo from Chicago!" is a line I'll always remember.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why did the villain have a ship full of bird people*? Oh, they were Changelings. But why were they disguised as birds and spoke bird language? Oh, maybe they were stuck in those forms and couldn't shift? */scenes where they shapeshift/*

Why did the villain cut off her hand to talk to the secret villain in charge of everything? Oh, maybe they were another Changeling from the Gamma Quadrant. Lol, nope. Just loving Borg again.

*Also, the villain shooting the bird people for no drat reason despite Changelings never harming each other has been one of their core traits since they were first established.

Yeah the initial Changeling stuff in S3 was somewhat interesting. I was sure the villain was a Rogue Link, like a group of changelings broke off of the GL to Make The Dominion Great Again.

But no, we have to see the Borg for a THIRD WHOLE SEASON.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, it's basically Sisko's backstory except we actually got to see that, and then when he meets Picard 2 years later it's one pointed line and some clear hostility under the surface that does more than a big speech about "setting the world on FIRE!".

But Sisko still has an official briefing with the man and it's all very clearly portrayed as Sisko's still fresh wound that he needs to deal with - and does.

Some 30 years later and this Shaw guy is still speaking like Picard was complicit in the whole thing. I mean sure you can have a character that's really not doing well emotionally with survivor's guilt, and who still blames Picard, but gently caress is this guy even fit to command a ship? And does said survivor's guilt ever get developed? Not really, he's just an rear end in a top hat.

But more importantly we've already seen this exact dynamic play out far better.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Those idiot changelings just lacked confidence, why were they even working with the Borg still? They'd already stolen a super weapon and so thoroughly infiltrated Starfleet that they were hacking the transporters to change people's DNA. Like, forget the lovely Borg cum plan my dudes, you got this - nuke the cube with your teleporter gun and take over on your own terms. This is some Palpatine hiding under ground when he's got an entire imperial fleet already built and manned poo poo. Just go for it!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 10, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The dumbest thing about the bird people is that the ruse only exists to try and pull a fast one on the audience. That’s it. In the actual loving plot they could have just as easily been a bridge full of regular rear end human-looking people and the Changeling reveal still remains exactly the same. They’re only weird clicky aliens because it’s a lazy red herring.

Every single good thing about season 3 is cribbed from something better. Even the mediocre things are cribbed from better shows/movies. There’s very few actual new ideas in that season and they’re almost all universally awful.

- Shaw is pre-Emissary Sisko.
- The concept of our hero Admiral protagonist trying to throw his weight around on a ship that isn’t really his anymore and the current captain bristling at it is from TMP.
- The first half’s villains are a bastardization of DS9’s villains, the back half’s villains are from TNG yet again.
- Picard having a son and not being a part of his life/trying to make up for lost time is just Kirk and David from TWOK/TSFS.
- Speaking of, I actually love big chunks of the early season score but it’s so very blatantly just Stephen Barton riffing or outright repeating Horner’s TWOK score.
- Meaty Changelings are just The Thing.
- The entire nebula cat-and-mouse chase is just the Mutara fight from TWOK.

I mean the loving list could go on and on, I’m sure I’m missing at least a few very obvious “homages”. The only vaguely novel thing from Picard S3 is fun zen Worf but even that just feels like continuing the work that DS9 started.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Shaw: when you're secretly not an arsehole, that just means that you're actually an arsehole.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Zen Worf wasn't even good. Making him bored while he cuts off a head isn't zen.

Look I can appreciate Worf beheading some fools, I can appreciate Worf becoming a wise sage who has risen above their bloodthirsty cultural pressures. The way they combined both just made him a violent hippy.

I also remember trying to grab onto any floating turd just to not drown in the bullshit flood, and that desperation and comparison can make something seem less bad than it is, but their take on Worf sucked and it's a bummer because Dorne was clearly interested in reassuring the mantle since forever.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Pic3 is extremely not worth watching.

It's sort of a shame because the acting in it is actually pretty good. Frakes Dorn and and Stashwick being the A+ standouts and everyone else doing doing a B+ or better job.

E: also Amanda Plummer. She chews up the scenery just like her dad. Clearly understood the assignment.

thuly fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 10, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The dumbest thing about the bird people is that the ruse only exists to try and pull a fast one on the audience. That’s it. In the actual loving plot they could have just as easily been a bridge full of regular rear end human-looking people and the Changeling reveal still remains exactly the same. They’re only weird clicky aliens because it’s a lazy red herring.

I can never tell if these things are just cynical "trick the audience for a bit" padding or idiotic "don't look backwards" writing.

Also, if you're changelings why not impersonate known allies or cold war enemies of the Federation to further sow confusion? You know... like changelings do? All the better hide your true Borg cum machinations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The beheading poo poo is dumb and I hate that loving line that’s kinda become a meme, but I’ll still argue that Worf taking cues and traits from Martok and Kor is a good evolution of the character.

Of course though, you almost have to assume the Kor/Martok influence in the character is just a coincidence since none of the Picard S3 writers clearly actually watched or understood the DS9 things they were trying to reference or build upon.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

All the DS9 references felt like they were based off a hazy recollection of a Memory Alpha entry, not actual knowledge of the story.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thuly posted:

E: also Amanda Plummer. She chews up the scenery just like her dad. Clearly understood the assignment.

But even that is sullied by the realisation that Matalas almost certainly cast her as an 'easter egg' to play a 1 dimensional character who behaves like the character her dad played 20 years ago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fighting Trousers posted:

All the DS9 references felt like they were based off a hazy recollection of a Memory Alpha entry, not actual knowledge of the story.

Not even memory alpha, more like one of those “The Dominion War explained in 10 MINUTES!” YouTube essays.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
bucket

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

But even that is sullied by the realisation that Matalas almost certainly cast her as an 'easter egg' to play a 1 dimensional character who behaves like the character her dad played 20 years ago.

Or the fact that her character turns out to be a completely pointless diversion who's only there to waste 8 episodes of time before the real plot starts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess having a communication method that only works if you route the signal through a part of a changeling is a pretty secure transmission in a universe with tons of people intercepting transmissions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

nine-gear crow posted:

Or the fact that her character turns out to be a completely pointless diversion who's only there to waste 8 episodes of time before the real plot starts.

‘She’s got a secret past with Picard!’ Nope, she doesn’t, she’s basically a merc.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The first half of the season would have been shown and understood (better, as well) before the opening titles of a TNG episode. Amanda Plummer was terrible casting, not that she did poorly, but because the character simply shouldn't have existed. It was an impressive waste of time.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ugh

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

nine-gear crow posted:

So again was Twelve Monkeys just some kind of collective delusion, a case of a show being buoyed along by hype about how good people think it is, or did Matalas just have some insanely talented and with it people around him to act as guiderails for the show? Or did he just get high on his own supply and let the euphoria of "holy poo poo I'm making a Star Trek show all by myself, no Brannon Braga and Rick Berman to hold me down this time!" just completely unmoor him from reality and people had to yank him back and go "You can have the bar, but you can't have the aliens because that costs money we don't have, Terry."

12 Monkeys had a hyper-frantic feel, and a cast that worked exceptionally well. I like it a lot and think it's very good.

I also enjoyed his McGuyver.

I just think he's bad at Star Trek,

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
:siren: Moopsy :siren: plushies are coming out in May. I think preorders are available now.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

nine-gear crow posted:

So again was Twelve Monkeys just some kind of collective delusion, a case of a show being buoyed along by hype about how good people think it is, or did Matalas just have some insanely talented and with it people around him to act as guiderails for the show? Or did he just get high on his own supply and let the euphoria of "holy poo poo I'm making a Star Trek show all by myself, no Brannon Braga and Rick Berman to hold me down this time!" just completely unmoor him from reality and people had to yank him back and go "You can have the bar, but you can't have the aliens because that costs money we don't have, Terry."

I went back to watch it after Picard S3 because I was curious about exactly this thing. Season 1 was actually pretty good, but it was also the only season that had a lot of existing source material to draw on. Everything after that was a mess in exactly the same way Picard's S2 and S3 were. Season 2 was fun but kinda rambling, and then seasons 3 and 4 were incoherent in exactly the same way Picard S2 and S3 were. Villains were reduced down to one note, rules were broken to make protagonists more special, there were mystery boxes everywhere that all had big dramatic visuals. If you couldn't stand the Red Door in Picard S3, you're not going to like 12 Monkeys past the first (or maybe second) season.

Also, when I originally dropped the series back when Season 2 was wrapping up, I posted a few notes on Twitter, and the terminally online Terry Matalas himself jumped into my mentions to defend his work from the opinions of me, some random poster on the internet. The man hasn't changed at all.

edit:

OGS-Remix posted:

:siren: Moopsy :siren: plushies are coming out in May. I think preorders are available now.

You can get them here! https://www.masterreplicas.com/en-us/products/star-trek-lower-desks-moopsy-plush-10inch

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Lore/Data mind find was pretty good too.
I also liked the speech that the President of the Federation gives to open the final episode.
Seven's promotion is decent and Riker's new day narrative was decent too.

Listen, season 3 isn't bad but it never comes together as anything cohesive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mooseontheloose posted:

Listen, season 3 isn't bad

Uhhhhhhhh firm disagree here, sport

I feel like just by default of not completely making GBS threads the bed Picard S1 is always gonna be "the best one" and even that doesn't make it worth watching.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah of the three seasons of Picard, S1 is the only one that ends telling the same story as it was when it began.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
Was it though? Because it started being a story about saving Data's kids and ended on something about robots trying to open a portal to a monster dimension with a space laser. Also there was Borg for some reason, and a Romulan dude trying to have hate sex with his own sister, and the sister had a karate fight with Seven of Nine for no reason. Oh and Durati murdered Measure of a Man guy but I don't remember why and then everyone forgave her because she was like super stressed when she did it and honestly who can't relate to murdering their boyfriend during a stressful work day, let he without sin cast the first stone and all that.

A guy did impress a girl by sliding across a Borg cube in his socks though, and a secret romulan spy had cool sunglasses, that was cool, so it probably was the best series of the three.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I will die on the hill defending Picard S1 as being a pretty okay, watchable show that you can maybe have fun with if you like its vibe.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Still has one of the major villains disappear because :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

And there's a cool subplot with Hugh and the other former Borg drones, but then Hugh gets murfered and the X-B plotline gets dropped like a rock because gently caress them, I guess.