Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

RuBisCO posted:

I'm enjoying all these Remake characters coming back a lot more than I thought I would have lol. I hope we see this guy in Remake 3 in some kind of Cactaur association.

It would be funny for him to be in a cactuar cult imo

NicelyNice posted:

My issue with the piano minigame is that I'm doing fine with the right stick, then a single note comes up on the left stick, I panic, and miss 10 in a row

lmao :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I would have agreed with you before playing through Shinra Manor, now I want to feed that little rear end in a top hat to a wood chipper

just did this section, it was fine???

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

just did this section, it was fine???

i also feel like it's a low point - not atrocious or anything, but plodding and uninspired. taking a great environment like shinra manor and turning it into yet another concrete-and-chrome underground lab was an eyeroll, and cait's puzzle gimmick was extremely dull. yin and yang also suicide-bombed me into the hereafter like three times before i got lucky with a limit break and killed them before they could pressure, but i feel like a simple barrier cast would have solved that problem anyway

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Not only was the last dungeon pretty overlong, I still somehow managed to miss treasure in it despite being fairly thorough. What was that yellow materia on a ledge I could see but somehow missed my chance to reach :negative:

It's a 4* Chakra, iirc.

SettingSun posted:

The black robes appear way less in the OG, but are still around. This part of the game is more driven by chasing rumors of someone matching Sephiroth's description across the world, who is literally Jenova assuming his form as it moves towards the Northern Crater.

Actually, in the original you're following a "man in a black cloak," who you are led to believe is Sephiroth but honestly doesn't match his description at all. It is more likely that you are actually following the robed men but the game never really makes that clear. And of course it's ultimately revealed that it's just Cloud following his reunion instinct. I don't think there's any indication that anything in Sephiroth's form is actually wandering the world, and Remake's interpretation that it's just Sephiroth temporarily possessing whichever black robe is convenient at the time seems like it'd fit into the original too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It is kinda a bummer that the entire upstairs of Shinra Manor is blocked off. That was a great area in terms of vibes in the original.

lol @ Vincent being so extra with his introduction and then fumbling with his scanner trying to make it work before Cait Sith presses the “on” button for him

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feeling smug about that part being easy for me. ~10 years of playing piano growing up, and it was all for this - so a minigame in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth would be somewhat easier

I actually kinda wish it went harder on the "notes on both sides" in exchange for having fewer "lots of fast notes in a row" parts (maybe it does in later pieces - I've only unlocked through the chocobo one).

Clarste posted:

It's a 4* Chakra, iirc.

Is there ever really a good use-case for Chakra? It seems like, even at low health and maxed out, it's still not really going to heal more than whatever the current tier of potion is. 40% of your lost health just isn't that great.

I guess it would be optimal in the very specific situation of "you have low health and are poisoned."

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Is there ever really a good use-case for Chakra?

Hard mode.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Oh my God I just realized that Cloud took his two epauldrons and just screwed them together

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Just got the reward for A-ranking (Ended up S ranking them all) the piano pieces and the reward piece Let The Battles Begin is a notable step up in difficulty, even over the Chocobo piece. I thought I was decent when I s-ranked Aerith's theme on the first try, but then I got my rear end rolled with 21 misses on the bonus track. I wanted to brag having all S-ranks piano, but this one might break me.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 10, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What got me about the last boss of piano is that I swear it's a different arrangement from the one imprinted on my soul and whatever the differences are keep tripping me up, I go to play the notes in the places I remember them being and they are in different places or repeating the wrong phases or something. Fortunately I bumbled my way to A rank on the second try.

It's bizarre. The way they chose to structure the piano controls means theres a huge range in the freeform play but severe restrictions on what they can offer in the rhythm game version. And the analogue sticks are the only way they can have an input with enough possible variations to map an entire octave in a way that makes sense but it's also an extremely poor input for a rhythm game on account of its imprecision. But having a conventionally good rhythm game would have made it basically impossible to have freeform using the same controls. I guess they made their choice. I, as a sicko who comes from DDR, would have gone the opposite way.

(Also freeform has so many options that the few remaining omissions become more bizarre. Like, you are restricted to a single octave on the left hand for no discernible reason. You should, I think, be able to choose a key and set your eight notes to the scale degrees instead of basing the octave on C. You can play five specific variations of a triad chord but I think you should be able to pick any three degrees, save them to a tab and have it available in any key like the dims and susses are. And... and... and... there just isn't a good place to stop the scope creep here, including the place the actual game stopped.)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
For anyone struggling with QB Nightmare Survival like I was; the trick is only thing you need to win the last wave is your own Queen + Adjudicator plus whatever you need to get the two in the same lane. That can be worth 35 points+ easy so you don't need to go so hard in the first waves, just deny the opponent treasure boxes where you can.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Did they seriously put unskippable loving cutscenes in the final battle, again?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Crawfish posted:

Hard mode.

Oh, that makes sense! Forgot about the item restriction from Hard Mode.

I don't think I'll ever be able to get into Hard Mode on this. I feel like my experience with the combat system just kind of varies between "totally owning stuff" and "being frustrated and overwhelmed," with little middle area. On Normal, I still win even when I'm frustrated and overwhelmed, but it feels bad because it's basically just me gradually wearing down the enemy while healing through damage. I think my main issue is that the ATB essentially requires/incentivizes attacking as much as possible, but doing so makes it very difficult for me to keep track of enemy animations (and even if I'm passive, it's still often very difficult for me to react to enemy attacks). And the game being as flashy as it is also makes it hard to keep visual track of things, especially when there are multiple enemies.

Fedule posted:

It's bizarre. The way they chose to structure the piano controls means theres a huge range in the freeform play but severe restrictions on what they can offer in the rhythm game version. And the analogue sticks are the only way they can have an input with enough possible variations to map an entire octave in a way that makes sense but it's also an extremely poor input for a rhythm game on account of its imprecision. But having a conventionally good rhythm game would have made it basically impossible to have freeform using the same controls. I guess they made their choice. I, as a sicko who comes from DDR, would have gone the opposite way.

The best "fix" to the system I can think of is something like "pressing a shoulder button to activate a key" instead of having it activate on moving the stick all the way out. So it only counts as a key press when you press R1 for the right stick or L1 for the left, but can be activated even if the stick isn't all the way out. So if you have the stick only half-way out but hit R1, it still counts, etc.

That also has a downside in the form of more inputs, though in exchange for more control and less awkwardness caused by the imprecision of the analog sticks. It'd be nice to have it as an option, since it would prevent the sort of thing that frequently fucks me up.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If they just moved the piano analog UI more to the center it would improve my experience by a ton.

Rebirth is having me realise how much of a creative transition in square the og was, how much of Nomura and Kitase was already in there and I wonder if it wasn't an original concept by Sakaguchi if the environmental concerns would have even featured.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Biological Intel: Head Case - take down the mindflayer first:

How?

The adds just blow themselves up before I can even put a dent in the mindflayer.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

Feeling smug about that part being easy for me. ~10 years of playing piano growing up, and it was all for this - so a minigame in Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth would be somewhat easier

It's very reminiscent of my piano lessons as a kid as well but for me it's because I was always dogshit at getting both hands in time when I memorised each individual hands part which in hindsight was a bad way for me to learn songs

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Frankston posted:

How?

The adds just blow themselves up before I can even put a dent in the mindflayer.

The adds are vulnerable to most status effects, so something like stop or sleep can help slow them down. Aside from that, you need to be very aware of when they're using Deafening Screech. If a character gets hit by it, you lose because they will self-destruct no matter how much you try to stop them. Your AI partners are usually good about avoiding it, but if you make them do a command at the wrong time, they'll be hit. Watch for it so you can block it, then spend ATB to build up Synergy while it's in coldown so you can pressure the mindflayer. Also helps to try to lure the mindflayer away from the other enemies.

Either way, it was a very very annoying fight.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Chocobo racing is by far the best minigame

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

Frankston posted:

How?

I used barret solo due to his high single target damage

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s really weird how you can skip some dialogue but all skipping does is make the subtitles go away and the voice and animation just keeps going til the end of the line anyway.

Other lines in the same scene even will skip as expected, but some just don’t.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Have mastered Glide de Chocobo, rest of the game has got to be cakewalk after that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Frankston posted:

How?

Sleep the adds

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s really weird how you can skip some dialogue but all skipping does is make the subtitles go away and the voice and animation just keeps going til the end of the line anyway.

Other lines in the same scene even will skip as expected, but some just don’t.

I actually really like this because I have a bad habit of button mashing past dialogue and the game seems to have a set of dialogue that it will play out regardless if it's meaningful character stuff

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is there a reason why Yuffie's elemental ninjutsu doesnt seem to pressure enemies even if the description says they are pressured by element X. It raises stagger sure but it doesnt seem to trigger the pressured condition

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WaltherFeng posted:

Is there a reason why Yuffie's elemental ninjutsu doesnt seem to pressure enemies even if the description says they are pressured by element X. It raises stagger sure but it doesnt seem to trigger the pressured condition

I often use it to do exactly that - is there a particular enemy you're having issues with? The flying jellyfish, for example, seem to dodge it like a physical attack until they are corporeal again.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I actually really like this because I have a bad habit of button mashing past dialogue and the game seems to have a set of dialogue that it will play out regardless if it's meaningful character stuff

I skip once I’ve read the subtitle and none of the stuff I’ve skipped through has seemed anymore meaningful than anything else in the game, which is why it seems so arbitrary. Almost like a bug more than anything else :shrug:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Levantine posted:

I often use it to do exactly that - is there a particular enemy you're having issues with? The flying jellyfish, for example, seem to dodge it like a physical attack until they are corporeal again.

I was practicing with her in the arena. Usually it only takes like maybe 1-2 spells to pressure a miniboss type of enemy but it seems a lot harder to do with ninjutsu. Maybe I was too impatient and I need to pay closer attention

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WaltherFeng posted:

I was practicing with her in the arena. Usually it only takes like maybe 1-2 spells to pressure a miniboss type of enemy but it seems a lot harder to do with ninjutsu. Maybe I was too impatient and I need to pay closer attention

I think spells are definitely faster since they cost MP. My strat is to get a bunch of distance with Yuffie, throw the thingie, then just mash Square with whatever element enabled while the enemy is occupied with someone else. I use the elemental materia on Cloud with whatever is appropriate and that's definitely way slower than Yuffie (or a spell). So maybe it has to do with the overall damage you're doing with that element too.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure you need to do enough damage in one hit. It's why the elemental materia doesn't do it either.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Every time I get to a minigame I’ve read someone ranting about as the worst thing ever I beat it within 5-10 minutes. Push ups and boxing as examples. Not sure what the deal is. Fort condor and the early games of QB when I didn’t know what I was doing were much worse.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 10, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Pretty sure you need to do enough damage in one hit. It's why the elemental materia doesn't do it either.

That would make sense because even a basic spell can trigger it really easily. Gotta take that into account when dealing with these enemies

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

I skip once I’ve read the subtitle and none of the stuff I’ve skipped through has seemed anymore meaningful than anything else in the game, which is why it seems so arbitrary. Almost like a bug more than anything else :shrug:

I'm the same wrt the part about skipping once I've read the subtitles but also it has let some really nice character moments play out for me so if it's a bug I'm ok with it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Jesus christ some of the trinkets you have to dig up via chocobo to complete the collection are in random locations. A hearty gently caress you goes out to someone for that.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I thought I'd be sick of the deranged costa del Sol Segway handling but everytime I go back there while I'm doing poo poo around mt coral I immediately beeline for them, it's like a GTA mini game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The blind dude who gives you stuff for a ranking piano songs is a very low key excellent performance imo

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I absolutely loathe the Gongaga region and its weird Scottish highlands jungle vibe. So much visual clutter vomited all over the place, and to make matters worse, there’s tons of rock walls everywhere so getting from point A to point B is never as simple as following the goddamn map. I feel like I can pick any direction at random and 100% of the time I will get funneled right back to that loving reactor I have no business visiting ever again. It’s giving me a terrible headache.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

If I have one criticism of this game it's that you cannot just clock random people off their Segway to commandeer it to report in to that dude

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Johnny is just getting the poo poo kicked out of him constantly huh

wtf this Johhny doppelganger plotline is awesome I no longer think yuffie is "cringe"

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 10, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the payoff for the moogle questline is gonna haunt my nightmares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Augus posted:

the payoff for the moogle questline is gonna haunt my nightmares

The payoff for me are those sweet SP books.