Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pretty much yeah, except I'm guessing the Babylon Bee approves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

VitalSigns posted:

I keep seeing seemingly innocuous memes from them, and I think they are trying to put out non-offensive memes as a trojan horse for their fascist bigotry. I guess it's one step to ironic memes.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Magnetic North posted:

I keep seeing seemingly innocuous memes from them, and I think they are trying to put out non-offensive memes as a trojan horse for their fascist bigotry. I guess it's one step to ironic memes.

Yeah, not every article from the Babylon Bee is "Liberals think God is in a freakin' gay wheelchair" anymore like they were 2 years ago or so. They still run those, of course, but they seem to have gotten the hint that they would have more eyes on them if they weren't quite-as-blatantly the propaganda arm of Moms For Liberty, so they throw out less-overtly christofascist headlines from time to time. It's Stonetoss in article form.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

I'm not plugged into the chudosphere enough to understand what this even is about.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fun fact, even before the great great chud escalation of 2016, GOTV canvass training said to avoid red flags such as NRA and other then relevant regressive poo poo.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I'm not bright enough to know for sure but DEW to me means Directed Energy Weapon. So you know, lasers, microwaves, the Havana Sydrome blast that Brandon himself is about to send to all the true patriots. That sort of thing.

No idea why Moses is the person behind it all, and Passover in 24 is in late April so really God help us all

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm going to guess Democratic Election Workers and it's a joke stolen from liberals in the Obama era, back when there was actual GOTV efforts that you might get tired of people canvassing you.

I'm probably wrong though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

soviet elsa posted:

I'm not bright enough to know for sure but DEW to me means Directed Energy Weapon. So you know, lasers, microwaves, the Havana Sydrome blast that Brandon himself is about to send to all the true patriots. That sort of thing.

No idea why Moses is the person behind it all, and Passover in 24 is in late April so really God help us all
It's a roundabout way of saying they believe in Jewish space lasers.

Also all the Jews are secretly protected from them because

Marjorie: The Greene bullshit basically.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Posted in response to a video of a white girl getting beaten to death by a black girl

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 11, 2024

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
The used auto place down the street changed their sign from an advertisement for the local anime/games convention to say "are we going to have another plague released for Trump vs Biden 2024?" So the psyche of the American small business owner sure appears to be in a place right now

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

The used auto place down the street changed their sign from an advertisement for the local anime/games convention to say "are we going to have another plague released for Trump vs Biden 2024?" So the psyche of the American small business owner sure appears to be in a place right now
this was my favorite meme for awhile because it was always "why EVERY election??" and then a list of four elections with ones in the middle skipped

VitalSigns posted:

right?? "lookit the idiot cdc acquiescing to the stupid and ignorant demands we made! what a bunch of fools acting like idiots based on our demands!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I'm the most powerful man in the world and I'm intentionally destroying the place that is giving me that power, a lot of money, and has all my stuff in it

That's fictional supervillain poo poo. Dick Dastardly legitimately had the fastest car and lost anyway, the Daleks would have nothing left to do and forever to do it in after achieving their goals, poo poo like that

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm the most powerful man in the world and I'm intentionally destroying the place that is giving me that power, a lot of money, and has all my stuff in it

That's fictional supervillain poo poo. Dick Dastardly legitimately had the fastest car and lost anyway, the Daleks would have nothing left to do and forever to do it in after achieving their goals, poo poo like that

Also, why is Biden allegedly destroying the country? How would he benefit from what he's doing? Or do they just think he is a fictional supervillain who does evil because he's evil?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

Also, why is Biden allegedly destroying the country? How would he benefit from what he's doing? Or do they just think he is a fictional supervillain who does evil because he's evil?

because he's controlled by Barack HUSSEIN Obama

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Islamic Shock posted:

I mean, that's basically what Trump was doing but "intentionally" is a bit of a stretch. A better analogy is a toddler at the hands of a wrecking ball - there's a degree of deliberate action, but there's so little understanding of consequence it can't really be called an informed or rational decision.

What makes this meme so incoherent is Biden is somehow aware that he's destroying things, gloating that people are still voting for him, and that those people are dumb. Basically,

darthbob88 posted:

:umberto:

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 11, 2024

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oldie but goodie

quote:

Why did God create evil? A professor at the university asked his students the following question:
- Everything that exists was created by God?
One student bravely answered:
- Yes, created by God.
- Did God create everything? - a professor asked.
“Yes, sir,” replied the student.
The professor asked :
- If God created everything, then God created evil, since it exists. And according to the principle that our deeds define ourselves, then God is evil.
The student became silent after hearing such an answer. The professor was very pleased with himself. He boasted to students for proving once again that faith in God is a myth.
Another student raised his hand and said:
- Can I ask you a question, professor?
"Of course," replied the professor.
A student got up and asked:
- Professor, is cold a thing?
- What kind of question? Of course it exists. Have you ever been cold?
Students laughed at the young man's question. The young man answered:
- Actually, sir, cold doesn't exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is actually the absence of heat. A person or object can be studied on whether it has or transmits energy.
Absolute zero (-460 degrees Fahrenheit) is a complete absence of heat. All matter becomes inert and unable to react at this temperature. Cold does not exist. We created this word to describe what we feel in the absence of heat.
A student continued:
- Professor, does darkness exist?
— Of course it exists.
- You're wrong again, sir. Darkness also does not exist. Darkness is actually the absence of light. We can study the light but not the darkness. We can use Newton's prism to spread white light across multiple colors and explore the different wavelengths of each color. You can't measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into the world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you tell how dark a certain space is? You measure how much light is presented. Isn't it so? Darkness is a term man uses to describe what happens in the absence of light.
In the end, the young man asked the professor:
- Sir, does evil exist?
This time it was uncertain, the professor answered:
- Of course, as I said before. We see him every day. Cruelty, numerous crimes and violence throughout the world. These examples are nothing but a manifestation of evil.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Panfilo posted:

Oldie but goodie

Are we related? My uncle just posted this one haha

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

darthbob88 posted:

Obviously so he can blame it on poor, innocent, picked on Donald Trump. Very unfair.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Oldie but goodie

Ah the ol' "evil is just the absence of God" theory

Too bad it still doesn't solve the problem of theodicy

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The class didn’t even clap. Sounds fake.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i watched a vanity project film about an old man that goes back to college and on his very first day of biology class he outwits the teacher by asking "how much does evolution weigh? what are its properties?"
the teacher had announced she had been teaching for twenty years and had absolutely no response to these hard hitting questions.
can't tell me how much evolution weighs? get hosed teachailures.
she was so impressed she tried to have evil godless sex with him. the actor was also the writer/director/producer

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Here's another

quote:

In my first job with a large and well-known organization, I was hired at the same time as a woman my age. (We were both in our twenties.) There were about 20 people in our division, most of them men. The women tended to be tough, no-nonsense types.

At the first full staff conference I attended, about six months after being hired, our manager asked us for ideas about how our workplace might be improved. We were all seated around a large long table.

The woman who had been hired at the same time I had raised her hand and suggested that it might be a good idea for supervisors to provide more verbal encouragement and positive feedback to employees.

The room went quiet. Our manager looked confused. Finally, a long-time employee of the organization, a Vietnam vet in his 50s sitting directly across from the woman, took a small yellow envelope out of his suit pocket (which we all recognized as the envelope in which our paychecks were mailed), leaned across the table, held the check about a foot from her face, and said, "Honey, this is the only loving feedback you're ever going to need."

It was a different time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Here's another

So am I supposed to, what, admire that guy being a self-important tool? That people can't understand the idea of "knowing what you're doing right is useful"? It sounds like a lovely-rear end workplace where tons of problems with whatever they did just slid on by because nobody was getting useful information aside from the binary state of hired/fired.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

InsertPotPun posted:

i watched a vanity project film about an old man that goes back to college and on his very first day of biology class he outwits the teacher by asking "how much does evolution weigh? what are its properties?"
the teacher had announced she had been teaching for twenty years and had absolutely no response to these hard hitting questions.
can't tell me how much evolution weighs? get hosed teachailures.
she was so impressed she tried to have evil godless sex with him. the actor was also the writer/director/producer
One evolution, please!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Guavanaut posted:

One evolution, please!

I think we all know the answer to that question :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oitnmOskVWg

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pffff evolution is a time based unit dumbass

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think half of this stuff comes from wanting to believe in a narrative driven world where you just have to believe things over an analysis driven one where you have to do poo poo.

And the other half comes from having civic systems so broken that it's easier to believe in magic than expect someone to invest in new infrastructure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Guavanaut posted:

I think half of this stuff comes from wanting to believe in a narrative driven world where you just have to believe things over an analysis driven one where you have to do poo poo.

And the other half comes from having civic systems so broken that it's easier to believe in magic than expect someone to invest in new infrastructure.

If I recall correctly, an aluminum-mercury amalgum does grow into interesting tower-like structures, but it's also incredibly fragile. The mercury weakens the aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrdYueB9pY4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
nah man, its magical music vibes and magnets.

placing rocks on top of other rocks, but in a smart way? get out of here.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
at least they're not claiming aliens did it? (yet)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

disposablewords posted:

So am I supposed to, what, admire that guy being a self-important tool? That people can't understand the idea of "knowing what you're doing right is useful"? It sounds like a lovely-rear end workplace where tons of problems with whatever they did just slid on by because nobody was getting useful information aside from the binary state of hired/fired.
It's simpler than that. If you get paid well at your job, then you are implicitly doing your job well. If you weren't good at your job you wouldn't be employed there.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

If I recall correctly, an aluminum-mercury amalgum does grow into interesting tower-like structures, but it's also incredibly fragile. The mercury weakens the aluminum.

WWII saboteurs were equipped with Mercury to sabotage the fuselages of aluminum aircraft. A few grams could be scratched into a tail section and turn the entire section into putty that would just break off

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Safety Dance posted:

:staredog: That's loving wild.

Like, we don't need to invent magic to look at the world and see cool poo poo. The world is already loving amazing, and some of it, we even know how it works!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Magnetic North posted:

Like, we don't need to invent magic to look at the world and see cool poo poo. The world is already loving amazing, and some of it, we even know how it works!

Another example of, "I want to go back in time to gently caress with people and convince them I'm a wizard" lol.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bismuth rules, you can melt that poo poo on your stove (buy a garbage pot from a thrift store) and crystallize it into rad shapes

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

DominoKitten posted:

You can still buy Gros Michels for an eye watering price, they’re just not mass commercially viable.

it's a banana, dominokitten. what could it possibly cost

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Staluigi posted:

it's a banana, dominokitten. what could it possibly cost

$127 for 3-5 pounds, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Magnetic North posted:

It's like that line from one of the Discworld novels where, I think it's Death, says that one of humanity's most interesting talents is the ability to be bored.