Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

moana posted:

Hey everyone, thank you for telling me to buy a Prius last time, I went and bought a Prius. Before that you said to buy a Miata and I did and that was fun, and way before that you said to buy a beater Elantra and I did and that was fun too. You guys are 3 for 3 on good car recommendations, thank you so much.

Now we need to replace our Elantra before it dies completely. What we want to buy is this: https://www.torquenews.com/8113/3-reasons-toyota-should-make-pickup-prius but it doesn't exist yet.

Proposed Budget: $10-20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Truck/minivan/car with trailer? I'm not sure which is best for our needs since we've never owned anything other than little sedans, hatchbacks, and Miatas. We'll need a back seat since our kiddo is still little.
How will you be using the car?:
- dump runs about once every month or two.
- hauling building materials and furniture. Last year I counted and we borrowed a truck 7 times, so maybe worth it to not be such a bother to our truck friends/having to pay extra to ship things instead of picking them up
- hauling manure/camping gear/bikes/a little motorcycle
- as a family 2nd car for short distances

If we ended up with a van then it would also do duty as a kid hauler for groups of kids. Maybe also sleeping in it during camping trips?

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? definitely not.

What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability #1, good MPG would be nice, smaller the better (no giant F150 monstrosities)
We don't have a lot of driveway space so the car+trailer idea is hard to make happen without annoying neighbors.
We've considered getting something like a Tacoma but every truck in our range is like 25 years old with 150k miles on it already. A Pacifica? Odyssey? Actually chopping a Prius into a little truck? Idk help me before the Elantra radiator explodes please.

Honda Ridgeline is literally an Odyssey / Pilot with a bed instead of an enclosed cargo area, and it's what would have been my first choice four years ago when I needed to buy "the smallest possible do-everything truck". The only reason I didn't even look at it was the tow rating of 5,000lb when one reason I wanted a truck was hauling a horse trailer that would easily be at or slightly above that weight.

I ended up with a 2018 GMC Canyon (see also Chevrolet Colorado). I went for the diesel because it gets great fuel mileage and tows well and it makes awesome diesel sounds but it is more maintenance-heavy as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You don’t need an suv

I don’t need a small rear end Prius

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Basically the same size cargo cu ft in the le as your hrv, which you said is fine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ethanol posted:

I’m sorry to tell you that your car isn’t a Prius like you asked. With a heavy heart I must now tell you about the existence of the Prius V.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

in a well actually posted:

Basically the same size cargo cu ft in the le as your hrv, which you said is fine.

I don’t have an hrv I have a rav4 which has more cargo space

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

ethanol posted:

I have a pretty big rear end and the Prius handles it just fine, fwiw.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ethanol posted:

I don’t have an hrv I have a rav4 which has more cargo space

In sadness I must tell you that the Prius V has only two less cubes with the seats down, and up to three more with the seats up. I take no joy in this, nor the higher economy numbers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

moana posted:

Body Style: Truck/minivan/car with trailer? I'm not sure which is best for our needs since we've never owned anything other than little sedans, hatchbacks, and Miatas. We'll need a back seat since our kiddo is still little.
- hauling building materials and furniture. Last year I counted and we borrowed a truck 7 times, so maybe worth it to not be such a bother to our truck friends/having to pay extra to ship things instead of picking them up

If we ended up with a van then it would also do duty as a kid hauler for groups of kids. Maybe also sleeping in it during camping trips?

Reliability #1, good MPG would be nice, smaller the better (no giant F150 monstrosities)
We don't have a lot of driveway space so the car+trailer idea is hard to make happen without annoying neighbors.
We've considered getting something like a Tacoma but every truck in our range is like 25 years old with 150k miles on it already. A Pacifica? Odyssey? Actually chopping a Prius into a little truck? Idk help me before the Elantra radiator explodes please.

Given your use case I don't think priortizing fuel economy is all that smart. How many miles do you think you'll put on this thing a year?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honda Ridgeline is literally an Odyssey / Pilot with a bed instead of an enclosed cargo area, and it's what would have been my first choice four years ago when I needed to buy "the smallest possible do-everything truck".

I would be disinclined to haul manure in my van unless it's bagged. Ridgeline is a good call for a quasi-truck. It has a little bed that would do anything you need and otherwise it's basically a Honda Accord. If you can't find one in your price range, I might look at the Nissan Frontier. It's crap, but it's a cheap way to get a truck bed. Honda Element would also be an OK choice, but they're rare and command a bit of a premium these days. It hoses out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The rumor that you can take a garden hose to a Honda Element, has been making the rounds since the car first came out. People just assume that because it has a rubber floor mat instead of the usual carpet. But it's a terrible thing to do and is one of the reasons most elements are now more rust than metal. It's not an open truck bed that's designed to drain. It's still an enclosed insulated passenger vehicle, and a whole lot of that moisture is going to get trapped inside the cabin, creating a rancid swamp of humidity and corrosion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I mean it's not true hose out but you can wash the interior pretty easily. Dumping a bunch of water inside the car is a bad idea, but it's a lot easier to clean than like, an Accord.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

moana posted:

Hey everyone, thank you for telling me to buy a Prius last time, I went and bought a Prius. Before that you said to buy a Miata and I did and that was fun, and way before that you said to buy a beater Elantra and I did and that was fun too. You guys are 3 for 3 on good car recommendations, thank you so much.

Now we need to replace our Elantra before it dies completely. What we want to buy is this: https://www.torquenews.com/8113/3-reasons-toyota-should-make-pickup-prius but it doesn't exist yet.

Might want to think about new rangers. They're pretty small trucks and get decent gas mileage. I've seen a few with <50k miles for <$20k, but I'm not sure where you're located.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mustache Ride posted:

Might want to think about new rangers. They're pretty small trucks and get decent gas mileage. I've seen a few with <50k miles for <$20k, but I'm not sure where you're located.

Are you thinking of the Maverick? The new rangers are still pretty big (basically 90s f-150 size) and more expensive than that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Are you thinking of the Maverick? The new rangers are still pretty big (basically 90s f-150 size) and more expensive than that.

Maverick is hard to find, carries an ADM for the hybrid in many cases, and a long rear end waiting list - and out of the OPs price range - but it would be basically perfect if the OP wants to shell out more money and wait a bit.

The Ranger is bigger of course but it's still smaller than modern half tons. If OP considers this they should also consider the GM Canyon/Colorado twins - I personally prefer them and the V6 powertrain vs EcoBoost.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would be disinclined to haul manure in my van unless it's bagged.

Oh yeah, absolutely. "Dump runs" and "manure" put this workload squarely in the realm of pickup truck and/or trailer. Yes, you can fit a lot of poo poo (heh) into a minivan or even some crossovers and SUVs, but that's all finished interior space. The constraints on price point (and implied constraint on wanting something reasonably safe, for a kid to ride in) cut out most reasonable non-truck options that can move a trailer around well. And using a trailer every time means either you're dealing with a rental every time which can be its own pain in the rear end, or you've bought yet another vehicle that you need to have room for and money to maintain it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

In sadness I must tell you that the Prius V has only two less cubes with the seats down, and up to three more with the seats up. I take no joy in this, nor the higher economy numbers.

Higher economy numbers by 1 mpg. An older uglier car. It’s basically the same as a rav4 hybrid.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
My 2016 Volkswagen Golf is worth more dead than alive, so I am in the market for a car.

Proposed Budget: 10k up front, 20k financed (30k total)
New or Used: Will accept used
Body Style: 4-door sedan, hatchback preferred
How will you be using the car?: Point A to point B, mainly
What aspects are most important to you?: Would prefer an EV with NACS

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Edward Mass posted:

My 2016 Volkswagen Golf is worth more dead than alive, so I am in the market for a car.

You should buy a Prius but if you're married to NACS and don't want a used 3 or Y you need to navigate the thorny adapter market because in built NACS isn't coming till MY 2025.

GM and Ford have announced OEM programs for adapters this year but the Ford adapters at least are already backordered to summer. Third party adapters varyingly exist but I need someone smarter than me to explain how it won't set my battery on fire because there are secret sauce communication protocols that are preventing simple rewiring to a different form factor.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
They need to make a prius with a manual transmission like the first gen insight. Actually, honda just make the og insight again

moana
Jun 18, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. "Dump runs" and "manure" put this workload squarely in the realm of pickup truck and/or trailer. Yes, you can fit a lot of poo poo (heh) into a minivan or even some crossovers and SUVs, but that's all finished interior space. The constraints on price point (and implied constraint on wanting something reasonably safe, for a kid to ride in) cut out most reasonable non-truck options that can move a trailer around well. And using a trailer every time means either you're dealing with a rental every time which can be its own pain in the rear end, or you've bought yet another vehicle that you need to have room for and money to maintain it.
I mean, currently I throw down a tarp in the back of the Elantra and we're good to go for horseshit or trash, it's only a couple miles on back roads. I'm not fussed over keeping the interior clean, I have a seven year old.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Given your use case I don't think priortizing fuel economy is all that smart. How many miles do you think you'll put on this thing a year?
Not much, I was telling my husband even for the half dozen times we would take it camping far away, we'll probably only be putting 3-5k miles on it each year. He just hates spending a lot of money on gas.

Bonus photo of the Elantra when we turned it into an angler fish for Halloween and let kids crawl inside for pictures:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

California. Why not a Tacoma compared to these other truck options btw? Because of the Toyota premium?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

moana posted:

California. Why not a Tacoma compared to these other truck options btw? Because of the Toyota premium?

I'm shopping tacomas right now and you can get something with 150 to 200k on it in the 2000-ish to maybe 2010 range for the 10-20k budget, at leaste out here on the other coast. Where we have to be very careful about tacos of that age to make sure there is actually some frame left.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah basically. Only Tacos you’ll find less than 20k (if you can find any at all) will be base model fleet trucks with probably very high miles.

Take a look here, should help narrow it down.

Edit: yeah i try to stay > 4 years old for safety and convenience features but you can probably find a bunch of older model ones like Motronic says

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

moana posted:

I mean, currently I throw down a tarp in the back of the Elantra and we're good to go for horseshit or trash, it's only a couple miles on back roads. I'm not fussed over keeping the interior clean, I have a seven year old.

For size and space constraints, doesn’t harbor freight and the likes make a foldable trailer? If it is a light load once every other month you could haul that with basically anything ie a hatchback Golf, Corolla, or Civic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ThirstyBuck posted:

For size and space constraints, doesn’t harbor freight and the likes make a foldable trailer? If it is a light load once every other month you could haul that with basically anything ie a hatchback Golf, Corolla, or Civic.

Yes it's "foldable" but folding it really isn't practical for anything other than shipping. You're doing to need to put a plywood deck down on it, probably with sides for this use case. So you'd have to take the deck off, store it somewhere, and then re-fold the trailer every time. It just doesn't seem reasonable to do.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

moana posted:

Yeah, the Toyota tax is real and absurd. The last time I shopped them was when I bought a '98 Ranger in 2011, and for the same money a Taco would've been 10+ years older. The Pinto motor in the Ranger was far from modern but it did at least have an OBD2 fuel injection system (and never once set a code in the time I owned it). A Taco at the same price would've either been carbureted or very early fuel injection and I had zero desire then (even less now) to deal with those on a not-project vehicle.

A quick poke at my local Autotrader for Colorado vs Tacoma in the $15-19k price range has six 2015-and-newer Colorados with under 100k miles, one of which is even a mid-trim (LT) crew cab instead of the base trim (W/T) extended cab. Also two more with just over 100k. There's only one Tacoma of any age under 100k in that same price range, a 2017 with nine owners and at least three accidents, one flagged as "structural damage", on the Carfax.

They're good trucks overall, especially if you don't live in the rust belt. They just command way too much money for what you get (arguably, even when new) compared to the competition.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, the Toyota tax is real and absurd. The last time I shopped them was when I bought a '98 Ranger in 2011, and for the same money a Taco would've been 10+ years older. The Pinto motor in the Ranger was far from modern but it did at least have an OBD2 fuel injection system (and never once set a code in the time I owned it). A Taco at the same price would've either been carbureted or very early fuel injection and I had zero desire then (even less now) to deal with those on a not-project vehicle.

A quick poke at my local Autotrader for Colorado vs Tacoma in the $15-19k price range has six 2015-and-newer Colorados with under 100k miles, one of which is even a mid-trim (LT) crew cab instead of the base trim (W/T) extended cab. Also two more with just over 100k. There's only one Tacoma of any age under 100k in that same price range, a 2017 with nine owners and at least three accidents, one flagged as "structural damage", on the Carfax.

They're good trucks overall, especially if you don't live in the rust belt. They just command way too much money for what you get (arguably, even when new) compared to the competition.

Everyone spent so long telling people to "just buy a Toyota" it ended up making everyone with a Toyota car think they have something more valuable lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

moana posted:

spend twice as much money to get shittier truck

like even if the stranger breaks constantly you have a ton of money to fix it and come out even

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, and you can fix anything on a Ranger for like $50. Seriously, parts are cheaper for them than anything I’ve ever seen, thanks to the fact they didn’t change basically at all from ‘97 to 2011.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Does anyone here have strong opinions on buying a relatively newer vehicle that has somewhat high mileage?

We've done a ton of research and are pretty set on getting a used Telluride for various reasons and I'm kinda torn on getting say a 2020-2021 with higher trim and less miles or getting a 2022 lower trim but higher miles.

Example is a 2021 S with ~60,000 miles versus a 2022 LX with ~90,000 miles. Both are going for about $30,000.

I guess the trim level is more of a preference thing so I'm really just mostly asking if spending a bunch of money on a car with almost 100,000 miles already is something that's still a terrible idea these days all things considered. Is it safe to assume that a car that new with that many miles pretty much had to be well taken care of since it had a shiny new factory warranty?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Edward Mass posted:

New Bolt EV/EUV if you can find one. 7500k tax credit makes them a great deal at MSRP.

Maybe Used bolt that qualifies for the new tax credit, I don’t remember the exact details I think it had 2+ years old. I think the 2022 and older bolts had to deal with the battery issue, so you want to figure out if the vehicle got the battery replacement or had the software update as they both affected max range.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Heaven help me, I'm considering a fullsize pickup. Thinking a domestic crew cab, probably an F-150 with a 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost, with a 5.5' or 6.5' box. Probably 5.5' as that's long enough to fit most of my stuff and will be slightly easier to park.

I'm a freelance camera person and I bring a lot of gear around when I'm working. If a job is big enough, I rent a cargo van or dedicated G&E truck, but 80% of the time I'm rolling in my main ride, a 2006 GX470 with 220k miles. It works OK but is absolutely packed to the gills when I bring a full load of gear, including a 7ft yakima top box.

Ex:

An full size pickup with 5.5ft box and a topper has more room in the bed than my GX470 with the seats folded, plus the back seat of the supercrew is perfect for my camera bags. There'd be enough space to have everything in the bed or cab without a top box. I'm also thinking I could leave a car seat in more often, while now I'm constantly taking it in and out so I can fold the seats.

My concerns are that all pickups seem to be kinda not that good, especially for reliability, and they're really expensive for what they are. Looking at 3-8 year old trucks with around 100k or so miles and it seems like you're generally paying minimum $20k, with most being $25k-$30k for something in decent shape. Seems kind nuts. Also been considering a cargo van with a lot of miles for like... $10k-$15k or getting an enclosed cargo trailer for $5k-$7k and towing that with the GX. Both of those options would be nicer to work out of, but a pain in other ways. Renting U-Haul cargo vans has worked OK but seems like it adds a half day of loving around on either end of every job to pickup, deal with the van being messed up somehow, load, etc. Also considered a minivan of some kind. It's be more interior space than the GX but would still require re configuring to go between personal and work use, and I'd be pushing the payload capacity.

AI what should I look for in a pickup truck? Or are they just a mistake regardless and I should just deal?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nitrox posted:

The rumor that you can take a garden hose to a Honda Element, has been making the rounds since the car first came out.

I always thought it was some veiled joke about its popularity with lesbians.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Pickups are work trucks. If your using it to haul around gear then it’s being used for its intended purpose. Ford sells millions of f-150 a year and they’re not all to urban cowboys who don’t use them for utility. If it meets your work needs it will be a good acquisition.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I like the cargo trailer idea. This way you just bring it home, park it and forget it, instead of loading and unloading the interior or whatever vehicle you use for double duty. It's the cheapest and the most flexible option.

If not, look for two-door pickup trucks with an eight foot bed. Those are usually less optioned out and are a bit cheaper. Also easier to get into

Do you have separate insurance for your equipment? I can't imagine the carnage in case of an accident.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How bad is progressive? Because on that new rav4 hybrid I bought GEICO was quoting $150 more per 6 months over a freaking 2 year old Tacoma. Progressive quoted $70/ month which is $60(!) / month less than GEICO was having me pay on the truck. I made the switch.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

lol double post somehow

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

powderific posted:

Heaven help me, I'm considering a fullsize pickup. Thinking a domestic crew cab, probably an F-150 with a 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost, with a 5.5' or 6.5' box. Probably 5.5' as that's long enough to fit most of my stuff and will be slightly easier to park.

AI what should I look for in a pickup truck? Or are they just a mistake regardless and I should just deal?

Is there a reason you aren't looking at N/A V6 work trucks? Consumers don't like to buy them but plenty of fleets operate them and if you're buying a truck between 100k-150k miles at least you won't have to replace a turbo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ethanol posted:

How bad is progressive? Because on that new rav4 hybrid I bought GEICO was quoting $150 more per 6 months over a freaking 2 year old Tacoma. Progressive quoted $70/ month which is $60(!) / month less than GEICO was having me pay on the truck. I made the switch.

They’re utter garbage but they’re not like, actively fraudulent. You do get actual insurance, even if they’ll fight you tooth and nail for every penny on a claim.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

I like the cargo trailer idea. This way you just bring it home, park it and forget it, instead of loading and unloading the interior or whatever vehicle you use for double duty. It's the cheapest and the most flexible option.

If not, look for two-door pickup trucks with an eight foot bed. Those are usually less optioned out and are a bit cheaper. Also easier to get into

Do you have separate insurance for your equipment? I can't imagine the carnage in case of an accident.

Yeah, there's a lot of benefits to a cargo trailer. All my equipment gets loaded onto carts and those could just stay built and roll off. Current issue is that I don't have anywhere to store a cargo trailer and I'm not sure if it'd be a mistake to start towing with my current high mileage vehicle.

I'd really prefer a crew cab to keep camera gear in a climate controlled space, especially since the extra length of an 8 ft box doesn't necessarily help my out for most of what I carry. It also lets me use it as combo work/personal in a way I couldn't a regular cab truck. If going dedicated work vehicle route I'd be better with a cargo van and they seem to be similarly priced to a work truck with 8 ft bed.

Yeah I carry inland marine for all the gear.

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there a reason you aren't looking at N/A V6 work trucks? Consumers don't like to buy them but plenty of fleets operate them and if you're buying a truck between 100k-150k miles at least you won't have to replace a turbo.

Not really! The gas mileage on the ecoboosts looked nice, but that's hardly number 1 priority. Mostly just haven't seen many. I'll put it on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kind of seems like a minivan might be the best of all worlds? Got the interior cargo capacity when you need it, passenger capacity when you don't. Does a truck actually work for you? Sounds like you don't really want to store stuff flapping in the wind. I guess a truck bed cover?

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 10, 2024