Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Jamie hiding behind the curtains, feet poking out, tweeting "They haven't found me, worst party ever!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was listening to the radio about a new poll for the 2024 elections and I was horrified to hear how much traction the fash are getting hammering on immigration, to the point that SF is down 10% from the last poll and almost all of that is going to various "Indipendents" that are single-issue campaigning on immigration.

Also the fact that immigration is suddenly the most burning question, topping housing and everything: https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2024/01/29/surge-in-prominence-of-immigration-issues-according-to-new-survey/

Of course this being an online poll of some kind it could suffer from the usual right-wing tactics, but it's still scary to see.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The issue is that the immigration system has taken a step back, where instead of the proposal of building houses for immigrants using a separate funding scheme has now gone back to the State taking over the existing Accommodation centres from the Private groups. Great for some places, where they were barely being run, bad for others where they really needed new housing instead of old hostels.

The fact that more people seem to be attending these protests anytime a new centre is set to open because "SINGLE MEN!!!!!!!" makes for a fash wet dream. Those same people crying about the Gov not doing enough to house homeless people (True, but also separate fund to immigration accommodation) would pitch a fit if the centres were used for homeless people because how can our poor little town deal with an influx of 50 people.

In Carlow or Roscrea....

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
A suspicious person might wonder if FF/FG thought leaders wouldn't prefer that the fash do well than SF do well.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

gonadic io posted:

A suspicious person might wonder if FF/FG thought leaders wouldn't prefer that the fash do well than SF do well.

independents siphoning off votes from Sinn Fein and letting them get away with not being open fasc and pick them up in coalition seems like an ideal situation really

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
That is what got Nige and/or Clegg their knighthoods.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

PowerBeard posted:

Those same people crying about the Gov not doing enough to house homeless people (True, but also separate fund to immigration accommodation) would pitch a fit if the centres were used for homeless people because how can our poor little town deal with an influx of 50 people.

Indeed. Out west, Cllr Noel Thomas, the FFer (currently suspended I think) whose home got raided by the Gardaí following the hotel arson in Roscahill outside of Galway, had previously opposed every social housing project in his village next door. I kinda believe him when he shouts that he's not a racist: it's just the poor that he hates.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's quite likely also a racist, to be fair.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Arquinsiel posted:

He's quite likely also a racist, to be fair.

Well, according to people who dealt with him for a while, he wasn't quite like that pre-COVID (the old racism thing, because he never liked the idea of social housing on his turf), but the lockdowns apparently did a job on him, sending him straight down the alt-right echo chambers.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 31, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I doubt he wasn't already like that if a couple of months of inconvenience could have him buying everything the fash were selling. He was probably just doing the usual rural-FF candidate thing of never quite explaining who he didn't want in the area.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The country has made its will known: women should stay in the kitchen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Leo's managed to make it clear that he intended this to rectify the mistaken notion that the state needs to give a gently caress about you.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
This all seemed so avoidable and I genuinely don't know whether to attribute it to malice or stupidity.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

This all seemed so avoidable and I genuinely don't know whether to attribute it to malice or stupidity.

I do not think Leo Varadkar is smart, so there you go

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cicadalek posted:

Awfully worded amendments that disregarded the commission's recommended wording, terrible communication, and a government that's lost all trust and legitimacy... Not a shocker then. I personally thought it would break Yes/No (and I voted Yes/Yes) but this makes sense too. Not the end of the world but a serious own goal and missed opportunity to do something progressive in the dying days of FFG hegemony (🤞🏻)

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I switched to yes/no. This was always going to be a shite result.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Turnout of 40-odd percent tells me that most people either didn't understand it or didn't care too.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I read it as an outsider and it was terribly phrased and sort of incomprehensible, wtf were they trying to do? :confused:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

wtf were they trying to do? :confused:

:perjury:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Just Another Lurker posted:

I read it as an outsider and it was terribly phrased and sort of incomprehensible, wtf were they trying to do? :confused:

So the background is that every so often in Ireland wr have what's called a Citizen's Assembly. When that happens a bunch if randomly chosen people are lead by someone (like a retired Judge) to look at a social/political issue.
They have experts/academics and others brought in to have the subject explained.
At the end, the Assembly makes recommendations to the Government about what to do.

In this case the Assembly looked at Article 41.2 which says

The Irish Constitution sez posted:

In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Given this section of the Constitution was explicitly written by a Catholic leaning Government in the 30's, it is a section of the Constitution that hasn't aged well.

It was proposed to change this ammendment.

The Assembly also wanted to ammend other sections, the purpose being to expand the definition of family to not being one limited by marriage and to look after carers. (IE people who look after others) and to provide them with support.*

This is where it gets confusing. The Citizens Assembly made recommendations as to the wording used. Then the Government went with different wording than the Citizens Assembly used and many pointed out that it was super confusing or unclear what the new wording would do.

If one was a cynic, they could easily say that the Government had changed the wording to one that would justify the Government providing less and less support to people who care for others.

The Taoiseach going on TV one week ahead of the Referendum and saying that he believed that the State didn't have a responsibility to look after people and that is the families job, really didn't do them any favours.

*= They made a third recommendation about Gender, but the Government straight up ignored that recommendation. I can't really figure out what they wanted to do with that ammendment.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/submissions/2022-submission-gender-equality.pdf

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

The Question IRL posted:

If one was a cynic, they could easily say that the Government had changed the wording to one that would justify the Government providing less and less support to people who care for others.

It seems explicitly this. Especially after Varadkar went on TV and said he doesn't think the state has a duty to care, that families should take care of their own.

The citizens assembly wording was perfectly fine. I would have been happy with gender neutral language while keeping supports for stay at home parents not to be forced into the workforce by economic necessity. Gov decided to remove the protection entirely.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Strong post/avatar combo there.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

So the background is that every so often in Ireland wr have what's called a Citizen's Assembly. When that happens a bunch if randomly chosen people are lead by someone (like a retired Judge) to look at a social/political issue.
They have experts/academics and others brought in to have the subject explained.
At the end, the Assembly makes recommendations to the Government about what to do.

In this case the Assembly looked at Article 41.2 which says

Given this section of the Constitution was explicitly written by a Catholic leaning Government in the 30's, it is a section of the Constitution that hasn't aged well.

It was proposed to change this ammendment.

The Assembly also wanted to ammend other sections, the purpose being to expand the definition of family to not being one limited by marriage and to look after carers. (IE people who look after others) and to provide them with support.*

This is where it gets confusing. The Citizens Assembly made recommendations as to the wording used. Then the Government went with different wording than the Citizens Assembly used and many pointed out that it was super confusing or unclear what the new wording would do.

The Taoiseach going on TV one week ahead of the Referendum and saying that he believed that the State didn't have a responsibility to look after people and that is the families job, really didn't do them any favours.

*= They made a third recommendation about Gender, but the Government straight up ignored that recommendation. I can't really figure out what they wanted to do with that ammendment.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/submissions/2022-submission-gender-equality.pdf

As a dirty Northerner who didn't pay a massive amount of attention to the referenda this is the most straightforward explanation I've read.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I know this thread is moribund but there's doin's a-transpirin' apparently

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1770402296381202896?t=7FFPmnhJqfDXpsvwEQfIaQ&s=19

Hope Leo finally admits that the entirety of FFG are all creatures like from.Society (1989)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
They ran out of money and are going to do a 1707, except to Jeff Bezos.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gonadic io posted:

They ran out of money and are going to do a 1707, except to Jeff Bezos.

Would certainly shore up their vote margins in SoCoDu

E: my prediction, Leo is gonna start supplying Armalites to Hamas, outflank PBP from the left

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Did we join NATO yet?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Nah some event happened somewhere to remind people that maybe war isn't all fun and games with public spending and might in fact be bad.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
A new humanitarian aid mission to provide spice bags and boxty to the north

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

gonadic io posted:

Nah some event happened somewhere to remind people that maybe war isn't all fun and games with public spending and might in fact be bad.

It is now Ireland's official policy that Margaret Thatcher was a right oval office, announces Leo Varadkhar.

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

https://www.thejournal.ie/leo-varadkar-announcement-6332260-Mar2024/

According to this he’s stepping down.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I'll be walking by his house in a bit so I'll see if there's press.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Monica Bellucci posted:

I'll be walking by his house in a bit so I'll see if there's press.

Give a quote to the cameras and tell them to check out forums.somethingawful.com

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

Give a quote to the cameras and tell them to check out forums.somethingawful.com

Ask the journalist if they have stairs in their house

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Dead as disco although there's a Hilux just up from him with camo pattern seats that made me laugh.

gaelach
Dec 5, 2023
Not looking forward to seeing who ends up replacing him, but lol at how Leo went out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Eh, Coveney and Donohoe would be less horrifying, McEntee and Harris about the same levels of revolting

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
He's probably fed up and does not want to be around for any of the fallout from the Children's Hospital, the mass sweeping of immigrants into the Dublin Mountains for Paddys Day or the failed Referendums.

I welcome our Aontu Overlords as they finally rise to their rightful place of ruling the country for 5 minutes before they embarrass themselves.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
New leader is going to have a few months to attempt to give a good impression and promise to fix all the problems that are definitely all solely Leo's fault before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
:byewhore: