Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

What if the pig had a name and a swishy little tail? Marcille would protect it with her life while also still dreaming about bacon.

...fair point. Marcille will complain and moan about eating monsters, but given how upset she was at the thought of the dog-killing method of mandrake harvesting, she'd probably be horrified at the thought of butchering a cute animal with a name and poo poo. Monsters are assholes and bring it on themselves by being aggro and no-chill all the time, she has no moral qualms about killing and eating those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

Marcille just doesn't want to see how the sausage is made.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh my god baby orcs are so goddamn cute how is this even possible??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Roll of Quarters posted:

Marcille just doesn't want to see how the sausage is made.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Oh my god baby orcs are so goddamn cute how is this even possible??

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Making the orcs Javelina-Men and not just generic Pig-Men is a very fun and elegant choice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Marsupial Ape posted:

Making the orcs Javelina-Men and not just generic Pig-Men is a very fun and elegant choice.

Ryoko Kui's takes on fantasy creatures have been incredible. Basically every take on a concept so far has immediately shot up to be my favorite.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dungeon Meshi's writing feels like a D&D session where the DM is dealing with a group of players who keep coming up with ideas that nobody ever considered writing rules for, followed by an uncanny number of Nat20 rolls.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ryoko Kui's takes on fantasy creatures have been incredible. Basically every take on a concept so far has immediately shot up to be my favorite.

Would love to see someone bring her on to do monster concept designs for an RPG.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A jargogle posted:

Would love to see someone bring her on to do monster concept designs for an RPG.

I hear the Dragon Quest franchise had a position open up recently

(RIP Akira Toriyama, Goku would have loved all the weird monster food)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How on earth do you manage (episode 5 spoilers) to turn ghosts into ice cream? That's some inspired food design.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How on earth do you manage (episode 5 spoilers) to turn ghosts into ice cream? That's some inspired food design.

The ghosts are cold enough to freeze the stuff in the jar as they pass through it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Technically the Ghosts were just used to chill down the treasure bugs and whatever else senshi threw into the puree

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Definitely one of my favorites.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh my loving god I'm dying at (ep 7) at Laios pushing magically enhanced Senshi onto the water and him sinking in like nbd

e: oh my god I'm crying. It's basically . The more I keep replaying it, the more I keep losing my poo poo. :lmao:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 10, 2024

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's so crazy creative and well-thought out. I love it.

The show leans so very hard on classic TTRPG/CRPG creatures and tropes but instead of being yet another Generic Fantasy World it reimagines and builds a fascinating world around them.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The first anime I ever came across in the genre of “MMORPG-meta as wordbuilding” was “The Tower of Durga”. The ones are explicitly “we’re trapped in a video game” or just unabashedly using game terminology in a fantasy setting put me off, but every so often you do get a wonderful execution like this.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Marcille should just be glad she got her frog hood off before everything started to congeal. Things could have been so much worse than they were :gonk:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm already all caught up with the anime so far but I’m still craving more Dungeon Meshi. Is it okay if I just go ahead and read the manga now? The manga is already complete, right?

I have a distinct feeling that there is something even more powerful than the red dragon wandering around pushing it out of its normal habitat and behavioral routine, given how the characters have explained the dungeon ecosystem and how it works so far. Also, after the gnome guy’s chat with the Lord of the Island I think the identity of the supposed mad wizard is suspect as well.

E: I love world-building like in Dungeon Meshi or Lost in Abyss where there's a big sense of mystery and exploration in forbidden and unknown places. Are there any works of manga/ anime that explore similar concepts?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm already all caught up with the anime so far but I’m still craving more Dungeon Meshi. Is it okay if I just go ahead and read the manga now? The manga is already complete, right?

It's SUPPOSED to be, but she keeps putting out more little epilogue comics.

You'll be fine if you just wanna binge it now though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Wait. Would Goofy be a kobold or a gnoll?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So will the Dungeon Meshi anime be released every Friday continuously until the end? Or will it be released in seasons like Attack on Titan or something?

I'm reading through the manga version now and, while there's something be said about the minimalist panels, I kind of enjoy the fully fleshed-out environments of the anime more in some cases.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
it's happening in seasons. I think the only anime that do "episode every week forever" these days are the ones that got grandfathered in.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Back to back 12 episode cours right now, which will get us to about halfway through the manga.

After that, currently unknown as far as I'm aware.

Another two cours would finish it out, but I haven't seen explicit news about it getting renewed (or if itd still be Trigger doing it, which we can certainly hope but isn't guaranteed.)

It's been a super faithful adaptation so far, missing some margin jokes and a lot of bonus content but main plot wise only real thing is a bit in this last episode that they might have just shuffled timing wise.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yea its been an insane adaptation so far in that its moving briskly but really covering all the major elements of each chapter. This is a finished story and the team that is doing it clearly loves the source material so I hope its slamming with viewers and we get the full story. Would also love if they somehow fit in the bonus side material because Kui really really sells the world and the characters hard with the bonus content, its all so so good.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I assume it will get renewed but yeah the bonus material is the real question mark for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they do like the Dorohedoro anime adaptation and make a short OVA/ONA for bonus material.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Maybe they do like the Dorohedoro anime adaptation and make a short OVA/ONA for bonus material.

Let's hope they don't do like the Dorohedoro anime adaptation and leave it in limbo for like four years before announcing a season 2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asterite34 posted:

Let's hope they don't do like the Dorohedoro anime adaptation and leave it in limbo for like four years before announcing a season 2

Well Trigger isn't on the MAPPA production grind so they have that in their favour.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sade posted:

-Speaking of Chilchuck, love the implication during the dinner scene that he might be a bit of a drunk

The last time I heard an animu yell "WINE" with such enthusiasm was Rene Auberjonois' skeleton in The Last Unicorn

I would have named this thread Netflix and Chilchuck

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does the manga explain what gnome guy was looking for? Laois mentions going off on a sidequest with him after the undine to help him find...whatever

i dont think gnome guy mentioned to the lord

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Alan Smithee posted:

Does the manga explain what gnome guy was looking for? Laois mentions going off on a sidequest with him after the undine to help him find...whatever

i dont think gnome guy mentioned to the lord

Hes translating the elvish runes in the dungeon to try and decipher the immortality spell placed on the dungeon. Thats explained across all the episodes released.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
there have been 2 bits of bonus stuff that have already been incorporated into the anime:
The bit where they talk about Living Armor mating habits was actually from a bonus page at the end of the volume rather than part of the chapter itself

likewise the bit the mimic episode ends on with the small mimic in a helmet

that being said yeah most of the end of volume bonus pages haven't been included, and who knows if anything from Daydream Hour or the Adventurers Bible will pop up

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wait. Would Goofy be a kobold or a gnoll?

Gnolls are Hyena people, and Hyenas are actually closer related to cats than dogs. So for sure Kobold.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wonder if the Ramiel vibes I was picking up off the undine (blue geometric object, kind of a jerk, high-pitched scream before it shoots you) were intended or just coincidence

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Phy posted:

Wonder if the Ramiel vibes I was picking up off the undine (blue geometric object, kind of a jerk, high-pitched scream before it shoots you) were intended or just coincidence

trigger has former gainax staff plus its also iconic so maybe both

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

likewise the bit the mimic episode ends on with the small mimic in a helmet

that being said yeah most of the end of volume bonus pages haven't been included, and who knows if anything from Daydream Hour or the Adventurers Bible will pop up

lmao just realized Ryoko Kui snuck in a John Carpenter's The Thing reference there.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Terrifying Effigies posted:

lmao just realized Ryoko Kui snuck in a John Carpenter's The Thing reference there.

Of course Senshi wants to eat a The Thing

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yeah, having watched the anime first then read the corresponding chapters, it's interesting to see which details were left out or changed such as the kraken parasite actually being sperm Laios mistakenly jerks out of a tentacle lol.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, having watched the anime first then read the corresponding chapters, it's interesting to see which details were left out or changed such as the kraken parasite actually being sperm Laios mistakenly jerks out of a tentacle lol.

...it's been a while since I read that bit of the manga, but that sounds wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well now I have to buy the volume releases.