Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the stuff in the quests do genuinely get more interesting but like, most of the game is going to still be walking around talking to people which seems to be what you don't like so, no harm in throwing in the towel rather than hoping you enjoy it more later.

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Kwyndig posted:

I think putting previous event rewards in the cash shop is a good compromise for players who got into the game later while letting the devs continue to make new event rewards. Imagine how disappointed you'd be if you had to repeat events.

Yeah

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wish that all collab events would get rerun, like how the 15 event is back on. Salty I never got a chance to hang out with Lightning

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Putting old stuff in the cash shop seems fine to me. I dunno if that eggshell hat is $3 of cute though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It should be cheaper on sale once the event begins, at least.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah during events they discount previous event items. Which is nice.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
Is it worth bothering with desynth skills?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Eh... not really.

Once you can properly desynth primal weapons you can get their rare crafting drops. This is probably the best use for it.
And there are the occasional times that you can desynth things into rare items, but for the most part it's a long, expensive, grind with little to no payback. You'll just get common ingredients from the vast majority of items

This wasn't always the case, and used to be worth money, but even now that I'm maxed in most fields I barely get anything out of it that 5 minutes of gathering wouldn't completely overshadow.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Smash dungeon loot you wouldn't otherwise use/glam and it'll come naturally if you do roulettes, a lot of people auto-pass everything for you to greed. Gear you outgrow as well, though remember you can pass even your old soulbound stuff to your retainers to wear. Every piece you smash can give you 1 useful mat so it can be steady cash and virtually anything on the MB is better than vendor gil rates.

Culinary desynth is free if you fish but also pretty useless. My all time best desynth was to smash a big fish into a pair of boy's swim trunks, get sick of trying to fight undercut wars with it over 8k gold, smashing that and getting a rare cloth that sold for 120k. :eyepop: That's like a sub 1% outcome though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's a Number which can Go Up, but beyond that, eh.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Only if you want to. They can be useful for getting actually rare materials like desynthing weapons from EX fights, but mostly don't give you much. Stuff over level 50 (desynth skill 130) can get you the 5k gil demimateria. Some big fish from ARR/HW can desynth into fashion.

Other than that almost all the time you're getting some elemental shards/crystals/clusters and one crafting item (or a cheap allagan coin).

I'm sort of idly increasing my desynth skills by desynthing quick venture returns, but only if they'll give me skill. And I'm still getting less out of them on average than if I just traded them to my GC for seals.

snohax
May 30, 2011

I remember hearing that desynth skill doesn't even affect the chances of getting the rare material from EX weapons. If that's true then the only benefits of high skill are more HQ materials and maybe better chances on some ARR side quest items.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IIRC the entire desynth system is just a relic from the hell days of ARR where you could only have a total amount of desynthesis levels across all jobs and there were desynth-only items and aaaaaaa
These days it's just 'will the desynth item be HQ or not' as far as I can tell. I think any of the rare stuff is/was only up to LV50/60 or so which you will blitz past in seconds these days, so none of it really matters anymore.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I only used desynthesis to get the weekly crafter class exp bonus

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah I just did it for the challenge log entries when I was leveling jobs. And when I do potd I desynth all the blue quality gear from the hoards because they seem to have a good chance to drop the 5k and 10k pieces.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Trip report. I played two hours in Gridania and it was an information overload. I didn't even fight anything. So so many vendors, guilds, and just general things you could do that the town quests and tutorial wants you to know from the start. And there was an Undertale tribute band consisting exclusively of oompa loompas.

So yeah, a pretty fun experience that felt close to what all the isekai shows are doing these days.

I went in expecting to bounce off because everyone says it's a story focused MMO, and WoW broke my ability to enjoy RPG dialogue ages ago. Through some wizardry they've found a way to make MMO lore palatable and engaging.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
boy if you like arr this much starting in gridania, you are in for a treat

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gridania is the best city-state :colbert:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quiggy posted:

blink twice if kan-e-senna is behind you with a baseball bat

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its a nice place but its skeletons are many and its archery guild has a complete asshat of an elf in its staff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also the Lancer Guild is kind of messy

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Gridania owns cause it feels like a place with a real (messy) history. The ARR quest content is kind of boring, mainly cause it's newbie orientation

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

biceps crimes posted:

Gridania owns cause it feels like a place with a real (messy) history. The ARR quest content is kind of boring, mainly cause it's newbie orientation

they all have real and messy histories, it's just that ul'dah gets multiple patch msq and several pieces of side content dedicated to it, limsa gets like one of the former and two of the latter, gridania nothing. and when you think about where the city-state stories were likely going when they came up with it, compared to where the game's story ended up, you can see why it's like that

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gridania's whole racism thing just kind of vanishes after ARR, leaving us with everyone's favorite dumb trees the Elementals as the zone's recurring plot point.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Gridania would still have racism plots if any moon keepers or duskwights were ever relevant.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Part of gridania’s arr plot was also “why is the barrier to the void so thin in the twelveswood” which was almost entirely dropped as a concept when they solidified what the void is

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wonder if that's just some OG Tanaka era plot that got dropped when Yoship took over. From the fragments I've seen, Gridania seemed to have a bit more going on behind the curtain.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Where even was Gridania's plotline supposed to go based off 1.0/1.x/ARR stuff, the Gridania plot stuff always seemed to fade in a blur for me beyond having a munch of focus on Gelmorra which didn't really go anywhere?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Attack on Princess posted:

Trip report. I played two hours in Gridania and it was an information overload. I didn't even fight anything. So so many vendors, guilds, and just general things you could do that the town quests and tutorial wants you to know from the start. And there was an Undertale tribute band consisting exclusively of oompa loompas.

So yeah, a pretty fun experience that felt close to what all the isekai shows are doing these days.

I went in expecting to bounce off because everyone says it's a story focused MMO, and WoW broke my ability to enjoy RPG dialogue ages ago. Through some wizardry they've found a way to make MMO lore palatable and engaging.

ngl if you're digging the starting content in Gridania of all places that's genuinely a good sign

Just gotta be patient when the game is slow, it's all building to something, even if that something is a long way down the line. It's telling that they streamlined as much as they could but they wound up including a lot of important lore and context in most of the time wastey ARR-msq quests so they couldn't get rid of all of them.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 10, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

quiggy posted:

I love Limsa but Gridania is definitely the least confusing layout and thus best for new players, imo. I started there when I tried out the xbox beta and it was like "ohhhh this is much more sane than starting in Limsa"

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
In the end I preferred Ul'Dah, which has everything within spitting distance of an aetheryte unlike Limsa and Gridania sending me to the Anchor Yard or Apkallu Falls multiple times. Even as a newbie, the starter Ul'Dah quests send you in a circle around the city letting you easily collect all the aetherytes in one quick circuit.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Apkallu Falls definitely sucks but the good news is the only real sticking point there is the SMN quests. I guess the achievement guy too but w/e

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Limsa's layout is very simple, everything is either in a straight horizontal or vertical line and you just aethernet over to the Aftcastle or Aetheryte Plaza when you want to switch levels. Oh, you want to walk between the two levels?

Don't do that.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
As far as I can remember the game never actually tells you about how to use the baby aetherytes, so I never bothered even looking at them until... probably the middle of Heavensward? I could see that they were an interactable thing, but since no NPCs had ever pointed me at them, I thought they were something I couldn't use yet and that some day I'd get a purple quest unlocking the ability to use them. Like how dyes and glamour prisms worked.

Welp.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Picayune posted:

As far as I can remember the game never actually tells you about how to use the baby aetherytes
I dunno if it was the case when you started, but NPCs during the intro quests definitely mention it now. But it's not directly explained what they do unless you walk up to one and try interacting with it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picayune posted:

As far as I can remember the game never actually tells you about how to use the baby aetherytes, so I never bothered even looking at them until... probably the middle of Heavensward? I could see that they were an interactable thing, but since no NPCs had ever pointed me at them, I thought they were something I couldn't use yet and that some day I'd get a purple quest unlocking the ability to use them. Like how dyes and glamour prisms worked.

Welp.

that's

a lotta walkin

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thats sad because the bonus mini-aertherite you get for filling out a town's set is universally useful.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think the first tip my friends gave me when I started playing was to attune to all of them before doing anything else in a city

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Setting gridania to clear skies 2AM permanently via crimes makes the Shaded Bower the prettiest most chill relaxing market board and summoning bell to hang out at. Night gridania with it's very warm lamp lights is very midsummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bird. posted:

Setting gridania to clear skies 2AM permanently via crimes makes the Shaded Bower the prettiest most chill relaxing market board and summoning bell to hang out at. Night gridania with it's very warm lamp lights is very midsummer

Gridania's a genuinely beautiful city to hang out in. Shaded Bower's got that perfect late night sleepy cafe vibe, especially when it's raining, and the aetheryte on most servers has a good mix of traffic without ever feeling overcrowded.