Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

denken passing because, for a very brief moment, he thought "I could take her" is one of my favorite parts of this arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

One of my friends correctly guessed that the third test will be "Serie says if they pass or not" based purely on the amount of anime remaining. She's also pretty much correctly guessing who will and won't pass. I'm so proud of her.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Kanne won't pass. (Good for your friend though, that is cool)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, you can basically just ask "which of these people has a future as a professional badass" and that will get you the correct answer in every case except Frieren.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I like that the new first rank mages are brought back to the story, establishing that even among the top mages they're still newbies forced to do dumb busywork, while the more senior first rankers are off doing something more important or enjoying life or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Presumably the senior first rank mages have to do Serie’s hair, make sure she gets up before noon, and keep her budget under control.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

denken passing because, for a very brief moment, he thought "I could take her" is one of my favorite parts of this arc

Most of the passes were really good, I was gonna say Serie just glancing at Ubel, and passing her without any discussion, but then I remembered the sheer audacity of Land’s review. One of the funniest things in the manga.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah, that's mine. I love her almost disgust at Land's bullshit. Followed by "Pass".

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah, the glowup that the anime got for the fight scenes in the second test in particular was excellent. but my favorite part of this arc by far is what's going to be covered in the final two episodes

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MonsterEnvy posted:

What has she gotten wrong if it's only pretty much.

Just being unsure if Wirbel and Ubel will pass.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

sharkmafia posted:

yeah, the glowup that the anime got for the fight scenes in the second test in particular was excellent. but my favorite part of this arc by far is what's going to be covered in the final two episodes

:agreed:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Mulva posted:

Yeah, that's mine. I love her almost disgust at Land's bullshit. Followed by "Pass".

It's great because her personal feelings aside, she still acknowledged both his sheer chutzpah and ability to execute, which are two of her highest priorities for judging magecraft.

She only lets personal feelings get in the way when it comes to Frieren, because Frieren is the only person who's ever gotten under her skin.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I love love love the 3rd exam, I reread it all the time. Every single person that passes has a great character moment.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

It's great because her personal feelings aside, she still acknowledged both his sheer chutzpah and ability to execute, which are two of her highest priorities for judging magecraft.

She only lets personal feelings get in the way when it comes to Frieren, because Frieren is the only person who's ever gotten under her skin.

I love that Frieren is already on her way out lol

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Serie is really childish and petty, but she does stick to her principles. Hence Methode's examination: "Uh, OK, you're weird. But I did say I'd pass anyone whose first reation wasn't fear so uh, yeah you're in."

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Serie is really childish and petty, but she does stick to her principles. Hence Methode's examination: "Uh, OK, you're weird. But I did say I'd pass anyone whose first reation wasn't fear so uh, yeah you're in."

Serie really liked Methode, as Methode became one of her personal pupils after that.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Methode is specialized in counter-spell. She's like playing against that one blue deck from MTG. Of course Serie would love an rear end in a top hat like that.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
A common refrain I'm hearing from anime only discussions is that "Serie's right! She's just making sure dangerous magic is kept out of the wrong hands!"

Ubel: <walks in>
Serie: Pass
Ubel: <walks out>

:downsbravo:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I like Serie, because while she is stubborn, petty and incredibly arrogant, she is capable of changing her opinions, once she realizes she got owned. She sulked for a thousand years, but once Frieren defeated Demon King and proved to her that Flamme was right, she did come out and began leading and teaching human mages as Flamme wanted. And once again, she was fully prepared to fail everyone, but once Frieren showed her the potential of humans through Fern, she passed all contestants after her, because she could now see the potential in everyone (poor Kanne, if her turn was later, she would be a first class mage running around with a "Call Rain" spell :v:)

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Doodles posted:

A common refrain I'm hearing from anime only discussions is that "Serie's right! She's just making sure dangerous magic is kept out of the wrong hands!"

Wirbel <walks in>
Serie: Magic?
Wirbel: Murder
Serie: gently caress yeah <finger guns>

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Serie: Next
Methode: :lovebird:
Serie: Oh, FFS... pass

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Serie:...
Methode:
Serie: youre thinking about how small and cute I am and how you want braid and/or brush my hair arent you
Methode: well since you admitted that, yes

Serie: ew pass

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

I like Serie, because while she is stubborn, petty and incredibly arrogant, she is capable of changing her opinions, once she realizes she got owned. She sulked for a thousand years, but once Frieren defeated Demon King and proved to her that Flamme was right, she did come out and began leading and teaching human mages as Flamme wanted. And once again, she was fully prepared to fail everyone, but once Frieren showed her the potential of humans through Fern, she passed all contestants after her, because she could now see the potential in everyone (poor Kanne, if her turn was later, she would be a first class mage running around with a "Call Rain" spell :v:)

I don't think so. Pretty sure only those people would have passed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I mean I'm still of the opinion that there are many very low power mages out there that just live their lives but use their magic for various small things, some probably to be their village's "magic person who can make our grapes sour to make our special wine" and such. All of these little spells that Frieren is collecting seem to be the equivalent of folk art.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Hedge wizards, yeah.

As useful as these spells are I assume they don't actually get spread around that much due to the probable cost and effort involved in creating a grimoire. Be nice if one of Frieren's long term goals was finding a way to make mass distribution easier.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think so. Pretty sure only those people would have passed.

The Kanne thing was tongue in cheek, but the whole point was that Serie was going to fail everyone, because she was convinced that they all succeed only by riding on Frieren's coattails, until she met Fern. If say, Denken, was evaluated before Fern, Serie would absolutely fail him, IMHO.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Which chapters were the exam? I’m trying to find them to reread.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Lt. Lizard posted:

The Kanne thing was tongue in cheek, but the whole point was that Serie was going to fail everyone, because she was convinced that they all succeed only by riding on Frieren's coattails, until she met Fern. If say, Denken, was evaluated before Fern, Serie would absolutely fail him, IMHO.

yes, it's admirable in a way that serie was willing to acknowledge people's talent even though it meant that frieren won the argument

she may have banned frieren from her club for a thousand years because she was pissed off about that, but she didn't fail anyone else out of spite

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

Which chapters were the exam? I’m trying to find them to reread.

If you want the entire exam (all 3 parts I mean), it's from 37 to 58

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, just saying I don't agree. Frieren stated that Serie has excellent judgement.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, just saying I don't agree. Frieren stated that Serie has excellent judgement.

I don't see Serie checking every chest for rare folk magic grimoires, so her judgment can't be that great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Frieren also outright tells Serie that she knows Serie is intending to fail everyone and Serie agrees. And while Frieren was confident that Serie would pass Fern, that's about it as far as she was concerned. After Fern, Serie changes her entire demeanor and actually engages with the participants, instead of failing them with barely a glance like she did before Frieren and Fern.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I like the idea that if a non-mage managed to get to Serie they could pass just by pulling a knife on her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doodles posted:

"These hands look wrong enough."

Still, it's less being argued that it's kept out of the wrong hands in the Ubel sense than it's being kept out of the wrong hands in the sense that people wouldn't be able to survive the situations they get into. And Ubel is, if nothing else, at least good at looking after herself.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Lt. Lizard posted:

Frieren also outright tells Serie that she knows Serie is intending to fail everyone and Serie agrees. And while Frieren was confident that Serie would pass Fern, that's about it as far as she was concerned. After Fern, Serie changes her entire demeanor and actually engages with the participants, instead of failing them with barely a glance like she did before Frieren and Fern.

Serie knew who was going to pass or fail the second they stepped through the door and saw her because that's all it takes.

She was biased towards failing everyone because of Frieren's presence skewing the results, but Frieren's presence doesn't change who these people inherently are.

Serie administered the third exam personally because she couldn't believe that there would be that many people worthy enough to be First Class on their own merit to get this far, and apologized to Sense afterwards because she realized that no, there really were enough special people this time around; it was just harder for her to notice because of Frieren.

Up until she got to Fern, everyone Sense saw was someone who wasn't meant to be a first class mage anyways so they would have failed regardless if Frieren was there or not, including Frieren.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I mean, i agree generally, but frieren is the exception

she's obviously 'worthy' of being a first class mage, but she's the one person that serie actually is willing to fail out of spite. because frieren, though a powerful mage, is completely uninterested in serie's worldview and is both willing and equipped to directly contradict her on it. which really gets under serie's skin

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

sharkmafia posted:

I mean, i agree generally, but frieren is the exception

she's obviously 'worthy' of being a first class mage, but she's the one person that serie actually is willing to fail out of spite. because frieren, though a powerful mage, is completely uninterested in serie's worldview and is both willing and equipped to directly contradict her on it. which really gets under serie's skin

Frieren thought Serie would fail her out of spite, but the spiteful move would have been for Serie to pass her.

They showed Kanne failing and getting the reason why: "you can't even visualize yourself being a first-class mage". Frieren bumblefucked her way in to the mage exams to begin with and then met Serie with zero expectations of passing, and the first thing Serie pointed out was Frieren being unable to visualize herself being a first class mage either.

Frieren was right that Serie's instincts have always been correct, and Serie was correct on failing Frieren. Frieren didn't want it, so she didn't get it.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

frieren doesn't see any value in being a first-class mage, and she sees the system that serie has designed to choose first-class mages as largely worthless. But she did want to be a first-class mage, if only because it would let her go where she wanted to go.

serie failed frieren not because frieren couldnt visualize herself being a first-class mage but because frieren revealed in her answer to serie's question that she's still totally uninterested in buying what serie is selling. The reason why frieren couldn't visualize it was important. It's not because frieren didn't think she was 'worthy' of it, but because she thought serie would fail her due to their philosophical and personality conflict. Which she did.

what frieren represents is not an 'applicant' for serie's system, but the best representation of an entirely different system of magical philosophy than the one serie thinks is obviously correct. serie finds this really annoying, both because she sees frieren as 'wasting her potential,' and because despite this frieren has been able to accomplish things that serie could not.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Lt. Lizard posted:

Serie said that more people reached the third-stage exam than normally would have, but she didn't suggest that everyone was unsuitable. Just that their normal third-stage exams would kill too many of the examinees. And as Frieren said, Serie's instincts are always right.

Her failing everyone before Fern is probably just coincidence (in-universe, anyway - it's obviously really for dramatic effect), because all the people she tested before Fern were sane (and most of them were no-names who'd barely appeared before). All the people who were powerful enough or unhinged enough to not be absolutely terrified of Serie's mana came after Fern did.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah like the people she failed were Kanne, the two people who were with Wirbel and kept running out of mana, and the mustached guy who's only real feat was being good at running away, and Laufen. I wouldn't really say any of them would have passed even if they had gone after Fern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jerkface posted:

i hope the anime is like very slow paced, minimally animated montages with beautiful hand painted backgrounds, followed by the briefest interludes of just the most insane sakuga animation beam fights ever put to paper.

alternatively: the most painstakingly animated walking and talking scenes ever put to paper, followed by static images of lovingly drawn but still pictures of beam fights.

Re-reading some of the thread and drat nailed it. I can't believe how hard they went on all the fights.