Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I don’t play strats because I started on gibbons and the strat’s middle pickup is in the way of my picking, and the volume knob is in the way of where my hand goes when I play guitar. Strats hang off your body further to the right and it’s odd, ergonomically. Otherwise, very comfortable and has an unmistakable classic sound.

edit: turd of a page snipe.

Image to make it suck less, the next strat-thing I may buy:

duodenum fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Toebone posted:

I have the sonic blue / tort CV JM and it’s a lovely guitar. All the squiers in that price range I’ve played have been really nice for the cost

That's good to hear. Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned the classic vibe telecaster as a really nice choice for a starter guitar, but I kinda dig the looks of the jazzmaster.
As I said the butterscotch tele would probably be my second choice, barring anything interesting I see at the music shop. I'm still saving up so I have time to decide.

Verman posted:

As said earlier, with black switch down, you're in the lead circuit. That's your lower controls and pickups behave like normal. Bright bridge, quacky middle, dark but clean neck.

Switch up is rhythm circuit. Only neck pickup works and it's darker than normal. Only the upper rollers work for volume and tone.

Ok that makes sense thanks.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

netizen posted:

That's good to hear. Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned the classic vibe telecaster as a really nice choice for a starter guitar, but I kinda dig the looks of the jazzmaster.
As I said the butterscotch tele would probably be my second choice, barring anything interesting I see at the music shop. I'm still saving up so I have time to decide.

Check out the Squier Paranormal Offset Tele

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

netizen posted:

"Because it looks cool" is the best reason to pick a guitar to buy, so you're definitely on the right track. Post a pic when you've got it!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

duodenum posted:

I don’t play strats because I started on gibbons and the strat’s middle pickup is in the way of my picking, and the volume knob is in the way of where my hand goes when I play guitar. Strats hang off your body further to the right and it’s odd, ergonomically. ]

Literally the same reasons for me I think.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Can we leave the poor gibbons alone? They can't consent and also have little-to-no tone.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just came home from guitar center and I could not BELIEVE the prices on the Gibbons

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Are those the guitars Billy Gibson likes to play?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Are those the guitars Billy Gibson likes to play?

Also Janice from Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
so this is a dumb question but please bear with my anxiety. I might have even asked before but I forgot.

so sometimes, especially if you havent played in several hours, or maybe you recently woke up, or whatever reason, do your guys hands just seem to "not work"? For me specifically, it's fast alternate/trem picking. Whatever that motion you do with your wrist to pick back and forth real fast, sometimes my body just....can't do it at all and it only does the regular slow back and forth motion instead of clicking into that fast version(it's a different kind of thing you do, I can't explain it). Usually if I'm patient and warm up and all that it will return, but it can be frustrating sometimes. Is this just a normal human body thing or do I have a terrible affliction of some sort that's sure to halt my shred progress?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

that's normal

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Also Janice from Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

Huh, never noticed that before.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Echoing "that's normal" DDD

There are days I can hit notes and play riffs and days when my vocal range is like half of what it usually is and my hands feel like they're made of foam packing peanuts

Sometimes I can push through but normally I get a sense of "well that ain't happening" and switch to bass or keys or programming DAW poo poo for the day

But I've never been a very good "grind through it" creator though sometimes you've just got to lay down a "that's good enough for today" take and come back to it

And sometimes you find that filler wasn't as bad as it seemed in hindsight.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

duodenum posted:

I don’t play strats because I started on gibbons and the strat’s middle pickup is in the way of my picking, and the volume knob is in the way of where my hand goes when I play guitar. Strats hang off your body further to the right and it’s odd, ergonomically. Otherwise, very comfortable and has an unmistakable classic sound.

edit: turd of a page snipe.

Image to make it suck less, the next strat-thing I may buy:

DOOOO IIITTTTTT!!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

so this is a dumb question but please bear with my anxiety. I might have even asked before but I forgot.

so sometimes, especially if you havent played in several hours, or maybe you recently woke up, or whatever reason, do your guys hands just seem to "not work"? For me specifically, it's fast alternate/trem picking. Whatever that motion you do with your wrist to pick back and forth real fast, sometimes my body just....can't do it at all and it only does the regular slow back and forth motion instead of clicking into that fast version(it's a different kind of thing you do, I can't explain it). Usually if I'm patient and warm up and all that it will return, but it can be frustrating sometimes. Is this just a normal human body thing or do I have a terrible affliction of some sort that's sure to halt my shred progress?

It's normal. My left hand does that sometimes now where it'll take a little bit of scale warm ups to remember how to not just act like a mitten on my hands.

It's called getting old

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Huh, never noticed that before.

She's a lefty like a certain good soldier.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ok but what does that have to do with Gibbons? Other than then being more likely to be left handed?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

widefault posted:

DOOOO IIITTTTTT!!!!

i wanted one for a bit but gibson fretboard radius

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

She's a lefty like a certain good soldier.

speaking of being a lefty

impulsive NGD

I know Carvin has a certain somewhat negative reputation but I've been searching for a good acoustic/electric (the Ibanez talman just didn't fit the bill, it's a fine guitar but it's not fit for recording) and this came up at a price I found hard to pass up

Haven't had the chance to plug it in but it sounds miles better unplugged (that is, none of the boxiness like the talman), pretty much like a proper acoustic.
$700 all in for a hard shell case and a US made acoustic ain't half bad.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know Carvin has a certain somewhat negative reputation but.

Do they? I've only played a handful but they were really solid for the price. Last one I tried was a fretless bass and it played great and had immaculate fit and finish. Why do people dislike them?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Do they? I've only played a handful but they were really solid for the price. Last one I tried was a fretless bass and it played great and had immaculate fit and finish. Why do people dislike them?

You know I can't really make heads or tails of it from reputation.
There's a lot of bellyaching about how the owners were/are pricks (since they've transformed into Kiesel, and the Carvin brand kinda dissolved and left a lot of PA people in a lurch - but the Carvin guitar-side owners both died in the 2000s)
And then I think some of it comes from the fact that they were catalog-order guitars in an era where the business model was dealer-centric so I'm sure a lot of shop owners were griping because they were getting cut out of the chain
I guess also there's some early internet era forums war poo poo lingering among guitarists - there's a lot of talk of "Carvin fanboys" and the Carvin forums when trying to figure out anything about there models

I don't really get it either. They were semi-custom US built guitars that seemed to run for less than $1000 and this one seems as good as any other player/professional grade guitar I've played.

But just as well because this is a hell of a guitar for the price and I'd recommend anyone take advantage of the variable reputation to find a good deal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The owners are pricks. The quality is top-notch and the prices are great. Same with Keisel. Same as it ever was.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Another great reason to always be buying used in my book

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

like peavey, carvin was the product of a completely different market that was built around working musicians and not dilettante gear collectors

their negative rep mainly comes from the fact customized guitars in general have poor resale value. the actual guitars themselves are as nice as anything else

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Woke up with a really stupid idea in my head that was a lot more fun than it should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLfmBBvDpA

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would love to get a Carvin. Have been gassing for one of their headless guitars for a long time.

I’ve played gigs with more than a few people who have one because they are versatile, and they all felt great. I think I remember in the 90s Carvin was kind of memed on but I was a kid and new to guitar so idk if my impression was accurate. Nowadays though I haven’t heard anyone ever complain about the actual instruments. I think I had a Carvin amp at some point but it was too long ago to remember it either positive or negative.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've only played Kiesel/Carvins for the last 6 years (Vader / Zeus / Vanquish models) and when I pick up any other "popular" brand (either in a store or one of my friend's) it ALWAYS feels like a step down (at best) or a joke (at worst). Might not be everyone's cup of tea but I can 1000% vouch for the build quality and value for money spent in the $1500-$2500 range.

e: Which sucks because I love the aesthetics of Fender/Gibson strats/teles/LPs but there's no way I can justify getting an (what I would consider objectively worse) instrument for the same price.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 10, 2024

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
God I remember getting the carvin and musicians friend catalogs as a kid and just being wide eyed.

Carvin was great for less expensive but quality gear. Their amps were great, and usually a great deal. Their PA systems were excellent, and they had tons of options. I never really liked the looks of their instruments because they were just sort of .. dentisty but the few I've played were high quality.

I still have my British carvin 212 cabinet for my sovtek.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’ve always wanted a Carvin V220 but they go for ridiculous used prices and I’ve always wondered if this is because of a photo of David Koresh playing one. Also they’re sick as hell.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I didn’t know cult leader David Koresh was a guitarist lol now I know this exists. Carvin should make a signature model. https://youtu.be/msPEF-Zq8_4?si=OXohkhp4PlmPc1Ay

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I’ve had a set of chromes laying around forever that I meant to try out, and I just broke a string on my Eart headless which is a bitch and a half to string up so I put em on in the hopes that they’ll last as long as I’ve been given to understand.

First impressions: these things are nice! Still messing with the sound but they sound pretty good clean and with some gain! Definitely easier on the fingers too.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

Woke up with a really stupid idea in my head that was a lot more fun than it should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhLfmBBvDpA

Not a stupid idea at all, that is one of the best theme songs ever and I loved your cover, thanks for sharing it with us.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

rio posted:

I didn’t know cult leader David Koresh was a guitarist lol now I know this exists. Carvin should make a signature model. https://youtu.be/msPEF-Zq8_4?si=OXohkhp4PlmPc1Ay

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What in Sam Hill is that guitar

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Black Carvin V220.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

can't believe he didn't get the angled headstock

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYQcMMjtTs&t=102s

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

homewrecker posted:

Not a stupid idea at all, that is one of the best theme songs ever and I loved your cover, thanks for sharing it with us.

I play this all the time too, what a banger.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Disco Pope posted:

I play this all the time too, what a banger.

Hell yeah. Heard it a billion times but never knew the bass was so active until I went to play it

homewrecker posted:

Awww thanks :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I just fell in love with the Lace Alumitone pickups on aesthetics alone.

Are there any other art deco/linear looking coil splittable humbuckers that have a similar architectural look or should I just resign myself to Big Boy Pickup Money?

What model is that? It's like a Firebird acoustic, I am extremely curious.

MJP fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 11, 2024