Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Taima posted:

Man this sure looks bleak! It's crazy how clear the science is on this that we've reached a positive feedback loop that has triggered a new mode of global temperatures, and on top of that, the vast majorty of our climate models have severely underestimated how fast it is all happening. This new mode will be very rough for humans, how sad for us :(

Anyways I need something to take my mind off the impending doomscape; anyone up for having some kids? I do not see the connection, before anyone asks.

What if our kids cure "things being too hot" huh has anyone thought of this though, checkm8 doomailures

Please take the climate doom antinatalism to the parenting thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I'm proposing that we make the manpower to beat this thing

e: the people power. The non-gendered power, of people's choosing.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i'm sure burning millions of years of solar energy in a hundred odd years has a simple solution no one has thought of yet!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Rauros posted:

i'm sure burning millions of years of solar energy in a hundred odd years has a simple solution no one has thought of yet!

To be fair at current rates of energy consumption it will take a few centuries for the heat released purely from burning stored energy to make a difference. It will, that's why Nuclear, for example, can't be the "we've switched and now we're good for eternity" solution. Fission or fusion.

But that's not causing our current problems.

Taima posted:

I'm proposing that we make the manpower to beat this thing

e: the people power. The non-gendered power, of people's choosing.

Ah, climate doom pro natalism is fine

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

didn't think the actual heat would make a difference but good to know. i was obliquely referring to the photosynthesis energy used to link carbon together that we've now dissipated back into CO2.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My kid will fix it, be patient people

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i couldn't even finish watching this the first few times

that guy in the final frame looking to camera after stacking the chair is, in one brief look, giving you the bane speech of microplastics

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I may have doomed 1+ people to living on a dying planet but at least my friends don’t think I’m weird and know that I gently caress

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

When does everyone think it will be at the point where the rest of the globe freaks the gently caress out? When things are so totally bent out of shape and falling apart, that it's evident it's not a couple of wild summers or winters that led to bizarre effects like crop loss or mass migration from firestorms.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

never, people will just find new things to distract themselves

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

When does everyone think it will be at the point where the rest of the globe freaks the gently caress out? When things are so totally bent out of shape and falling apart, that it's evident it's not a couple of wild summers or winters that led to bizarre effects like crop loss or mass migration from firestorms.

there will be some folks who go into their loving grave denying what is happening in front of them

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

‘rest of the globe’

I dunno, that needs definition. we have already been seeing for years people fleeing drought and failed crops, fleeing flooding and storm damage. it’s just mostly the global south, who are invisible until they present themselves on the doorstep of wealthy countries and the press wails about a ‘migrant crisis’ with no origin

as with ‘collapse’ or ‘doomsday’ or whatever, it’s happening now

it’s just not that bad yet

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Chard posted:

there will be some folks who go into their loving grave denying what is happening in front of them

they don't want to be one of those weirdos whose freaking out about the clouds

I, on the other hand, embrace the clouds

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Chard posted:

we saw this happen during the peak of the COVID pandemic, where people straight up kept denying as they were dying on hospital beds

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Hubbert posted:

we saw this happen during the peak of the COVID pandemic, where people straight up kept denying as they were dying on hospital beds

With microplastics, not of microplastics

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Yeah mass chaos would be awesome but instead we'll get the collective dog on fire comic

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
Mass chaos doesn't happen until the supermarket goes empty. People's fear of COVID ended when the toilet paper came back in stock.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Countries that don't have strong governments will go the way of Haiti with groups attempting to fill power voids.

I don't see it playing out like Ministry for the Future where there's some cataclysmic event that leads to a reckoning. It will just put pressure on everything like that quote from vyelkin in the OP.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Things will go from normal to very normal to extremely normal. That's the lesson from the pandemic.

"Record mild"

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Critically normal

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
There are no great limits to denial because there are no limits of human stupidity, ignorance, and delusion

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

"We're cutting your benfeits because you didn't work the required amount last week"

Last week: your workplace was destroyed by a turbo hurricane

President Bush-Clinton IV: This is the fault of immigrants

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Sounding the Normal Alert :siren:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
mildin' out

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Hyper-normal one might say

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

it’ll just be like children of men. you’ll still have to go into work while riding the train past caged refugees. larger police force. rationing. bleak

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Good news everyone

https://nypost.com/2024/03/10/us-news/nyc-burns-pizzerias-with-new-rule-cutting-smoky-pollutants-by-75/

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

unwantedplatypus posted:

I may have doomed 1+ people to living on a dying planet but at least my friends don’t think I’m weird and know that I gently caress

oh GOD

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023
I may have doomed 1+ people to reading my posts on a dying planet but at least my friends don’t think I’m weird and know that I gently caress

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I prefer to be wierd and loving

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

It's badass how sexy most of these dudes are

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

too bad about the plaent though

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

lol no ring

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
chairs is a waste of plastic ingots, they need to level up their plasticsmithing and start making Axetars or Pleather Armour

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Crazypoops posted:

I prefer to be wierd and loving

I'm just loving weird. :buddy:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

lol, y'all right. I'm going to just enjoy crack pingin' in the Children of Men re-enactment while everyone else goes mental over banal gossip poo poo as the world literally burns around them. I loved the BBC Six O'clock News the other day having a segment 15 minutes in that lasted all of 30 seconds about record high global temperatures. That was fifth billing after some cop investigation, the hosed up budget this week, something about the Royals probably, and something about Gaza.

Living the best timeline here, folks. We be blessed.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hubbert posted:

I'm just loving weird. :buddy:

u r bruetiful and troo

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

lol, y'all right. I'm going to just enjoy crack pingin' in the Children of Men re-enactment while everyone else goes mental over banal gossip poo poo as the world literally burns around them. I loved the BBC Six O'clock News the other day having a segment 15 minutes in that lasted all of 30 seconds about record high global temperatures. That was fifth billing after some cop investigation, the hosed up budget this week, something about the Royals probably, and something about Gaza.

Only the Paparazzi soldier on

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Scarabrae posted:

Only the Paparazzi soldier on

o7

And yes. I DO have a loicence for that Quietus, m8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

i watched a documentary about Gobekli-Tepe that went into how people were hunter-gatherers for tens of thousands of years. then tried (and likely failed) to develop proper agriculture for awhile but once it stuck lived like that for thousands of years, along with re-ordering social structures, time use, resource allocation etc. accordingly.

and all i could think of was how we industrialized in less than two centuries and permanently hosed up the planet. like gently caress what a thing to be here to see it o7.

also i could almost buy ssome kind of higher intelligence here because the whole thing kind of screams failed experiment lol lmao.