Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
yeah, I don't think Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen are either. NPC has a bunch of seats for the accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Eminent DNS posted:

Android has always been big there tho.

I’ve been curious if Chinese devs would develop their own alternatives to western operating systems. Both to make sure there’s no intelligence service back doors and be immune to any weird tech embargoes. I see huawei has something called Harmony OS for phones and tablets that most recently has split off completely from Linux and Android but I wonder if there are any desktop focused efforts.

Even with Linux considering how strongly Western and allied tech aligns with US foreign policy objectives (both for Ukraine and Israel) I’m not sure how much I’d trust Western dominated open source if I was a US competitor.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

I’ve been curious if Chinese devs would develop their own alternatives to western operating systems. Both to make sure there’s no intelligence service back doors and be immune to any weird tech embargoes. I see huawei has something called Harmony OS for phones and tablets that most recently has split off completely from Linux and Android but I wonder if there are any desktop focused efforts.

Even with Linux considering how strongly Western and allied tech aligns with US foreign policy objectives (both for Ukraine and Israel) I’m not sure how much I’d trust Western dominated open source if I was a US competitor.

Desktop
Kylin is a Linux based OS the military developed decades back for internal use.

This has recently been made consumer friendly and made open source as OpenKylin 1.0, as part of a massive joint effort between multiple Chinese companies, headed by a Chinese SOE. It's available in Chinese and English atm.

It's not the best distro yet, but it's progressing quickly.l and has massive resources behind it.

https://www.openkylin.top/index-en.html

Mobile
You get Pure Android, which is like Linux and pretty independent and decent and might yet be the future for mobile.

But the Default option for manufacturers is Android+Google, which has all the backdoors and nonsense, and makes most Western developed apps work.

By sanctioning Huawei, it forced developers like myself to code better and not rely on easy Google Services that may not be available on every phone. It lay the groundwork to make it easier for other manufacturers to rely less on the Google bloatware and use Pure Android in the future.

Harmony OS has the open source OpenHarmony version, which may form the basis of a new OS for mobile down the line. It's hard to replace android fully though, since it does work and you can skip the bloatware if needed. Xiaomi and other manufacturers may prefer to stay on Android even if they drop the Western spyware and Google nonsense.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They just need a backup alternative for google framework in case the US extends mobile software ban from Huawei to other export oriented Chinese brands.

Apple and Samsung account for 40% of the global phone sells, I assume all the rest are Chinese (Xiaomi/OV/Huawei/ZTE/etc, OV is loosely associated group of Oppo, Viva, Realme, Oneplus)

Huawei and its spinoff brand Honor don't rely on google framework. But the others do. If poo poo hit the fan its possible the State Dept make google stop offering google framework to Xiaomi and OV. Which means no Android app store and google map and some minor payment stuff. But its a nuclear option because all these phones will just be forced to immediately decouple. But once they do, the US can no longer hurt their sales. The OV brands are weird, they have different ownerships but share the same supply chain and R&D resource. 20 years ago, the Oppo largest share holder got himself a US citizenship before he came back to China and started the Oppo brand. It speculated that the State Dept has other ways to influence Oppo if they wanted too. For example Oppo started their own chip design division Zeku but promptly shut it down last year.

Android itself is not an issue IMO. All brands already roll their own modifications of Android. The OS is open source enough that the US can't weaponize it. BTW I checked out the Linux phone recently because I really want that Pinephone hinged hardware keyboard. Linux mobile phone development is still a wild west. Normal people of the world will just have to use Android, without or without google framework.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/jobs/mid-career/in-indias-semiconductor-moment-spotlight-on-talent/articleshow/108336340.cms

There is demand for 40,000-50,000 employees across job roles in 2024, a 25-30% increase over last year, says staffing company Randstad. The sector is expected to see more than 800,000 to 1 million job openings over the next five years.

India’s burgeoning semiconductor sector is facing a surge in demand for talent, fuelled by new investments and the government’s ambitious plan to transform the country into a chip manufacturing hub. The government recently approved $15 billion worth of investments into the sector including from the Tata group.

[...]

US chipmaker AMD, which in July 2023 announced plans to invest $400 million in India over five years and create 3,000 new engineering roles, said it is hiring engineers across levels from similar hi-tech companies, partnering with academia for fresh engineers and hiring through employee referrals.

[...]

“The next chapter of semiconductor growth is ready to witness increased emphasis on advanced skilling, job creation and Samsung Semiconductor India Research (SSIR) will lead actively on all these fronts,” said Shivendra Srivastava, Head of People, Samsung Semiconductor India.

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Mar 10, 2024

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

mila kunis posted:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/jobs/mid-career/in-indias-semiconductor-moment-spotlight-on-talent/articleshow/108336340.cms

There is demand for 40,000-50,000 employees across job roles in 2024, a 25-30% increase over last year, says staffing company Randstad. The sector is expected to see more than 800,000 to 1 million job openings over the next five years.

India’s burgeoning semiconductor sector is facing a surge in demand for talent, fuelled by new investments and the government’s ambitious plan to transform the country into a chip manufacturing hub. The government recently approved $15 billion worth of investments into the sector including from the Tata group.

[...]

US chipmaker AMD, which in July 2023 announced plans to invest $400 million in India over five years and create 3,000 new engineering roles, said it is hiring engineers across levels from similar hi-tech companies, partnering with academia for fresh engineers and hiring through employee referrals.

[...]

“The next chapter of semiconductor growth is ready to witness increased emphasis on advanced skilling, job creation and Samsung Semiconductor India Research (SSIR) will lead actively on all these fronts,” said Shivendra Srivastava, Head of People, Samsung Semiconductor India.

.... Doesn't semiconductor manufacturing require a ton of water?

Because, uhhhh, India is supposed to be turbo hosed over the next few decades by climate change irt the frequency of droughts, the lack of Himalayan snowpack, and all sorts of other fun stuff

Though as long as the industry remains indoors they should be fine

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

If poo poo hit the fan its possible the State Dept make google stop offering google framework to Xiaomi and OV. Which means no Android app store and google map and some minor payment stuff. But its a nuclear option because all these phones will just be forced to immediately decouple. But once they do, the US can no longer hurt their sales.

This has convinced me that the USA will definitely do this.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
its just a matter of time. it'd be criminally incompetent if they weren't working on a way to wean everyone completely off reliance on american software

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1766554597890412663

quote:

One of Benioff and Weiss’ biggest changes to the books (along with their co-showrunner Alexander Woo) is in rewriting nearly all of the main characters.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

quote:

indelicate handling of racial and gender dynamics (the remaining Chinese characters in this once fully-Chinese story are barely developed, outright villainous, or both),

:thunk:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://english.news.cn/20240308/dd042f4bb08e4b858da327acfbc9547f/c.html

BEIJING, March 8 (Xinhua) -- The use of new energy vehicles accounts for 77.6 percent of China's public transport system, Minister of Transport Li Xiaopeng said Friday on the sidelines of the ongoing "two sessions."

Talking about the achievements made in the development of transportation, Li said China has seen rapid development in green and smart transportation.

The country has been accelerating the construction of smart roads, smart railways and smart ports. New energy and clean energy equipment have been more widely used, he said.

Li also said the country has built the world's largest high-speed rail network, expressway network and postal express delivery system, as well as a world-class port cluster.

China's transportation service support capacity has seen continuous improvement, and China has been strengthening transportation cooperation with other countries, he added.

The "two sessions" refer to the annual meetings of the National People's Congress and the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference. ■

:toot:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

mila kunis posted:

its just a matter of time. it'd be criminally incompetent if they weren't working on a way to wean everyone completely off reliance on american software

its happening. it was mentioned up thread, the chinese android effort is decoupling by leaps and bounds with each release. there was a major announcement on that front around the time of the latest huawei phone release. I don’t remember the details because of american internet poisoning. it was overshadowed by the advances in chip manufacturing

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Danann posted:

https://english.news.cn/20240308/dd042f4bb08e4b858da327acfbc9547f/c.html

BEIJING, March 8 (Xinhua) -- The use of new energy vehicles accounts for 77.6 percent of China's public transport system, Minister of Transport Li Xiaopeng said Friday on the sidelines of the ongoing "two sessions."

Talking about the achievements made in the development of transportation, Li said China has seen rapid development in green and smart transportation.

The country has been accelerating the construction of smart roads, smart railways and smart ports. New energy and clean energy equipment have been more widely used, he said.

Li also said the country has built the world's largest high-speed rail network, expressway network and postal express delivery system, as well as a world-class port cluster.

China's transportation service support capacity has seen continuous improvement, and China has been strengthening transportation cooperation with other countries, he added.

The "two sessions" refer to the annual meetings of the National People's Congress and the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference. ■

:toot:

what's a smart road?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

genericnick posted:

what's a smart road?
it connects to the information superhighway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

genericnick posted:

what's a smart road?

I can't really tell

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202309/14/WS65027211a310d2dce4bb5aec.html

Seems like they're building infrastructure to be paired with self driving vehicles, if they're ever allowed to exist? For now the smart roads largely just turn their lights off when there's no traffic to save on electrical consumption

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

there was an old pipe dream of having f-zero esque charging lanes for electrics or ways to combine blacktop and solar panels but I don't think either is really feasible.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Wasn't there a Chinese language adaptation recently, I thought I had it bookmarked on YouTube but couldn't find it

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

Wasn't there a Chinese language adaptation recently, I thought I had it bookmarked on YouTube but couldn't find it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HJVhC80vIE

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Not So Fast posted:

yeah but I keep falling asleep trying to watch it

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

thats because its a sprawling drag, at turns disorienting in its use of inconsistent CGI to convey the story’s aggravating approach to character development and existential quandaries.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

In Training posted:

I can't really tell

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202309/14/WS65027211a310d2dce4bb5aec.html

Seems like they're building infrastructure to be paired with self driving vehicles, if they're ever allowed to exist? For now the smart roads largely just turn their lights off when there's no traffic to save on electrical consumption

When 5G war started, there was great talks of using 5G to communicate between autonomous driving cars to provide safery driving environment.

I find it weird that Huawei hasn't announced a standard for car talking protocol, since they have been selling cars for a couple years.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Votskomit posted:

This has convinced me that the USA will definitely do this.

mila kunis posted:

You know how ARM got around the "tech company being forced to choose between China or US" dilemma?

They created an " ARM China" licensing company, which is a classic 51% China ownership company inside China. ARM licenses their chip design to ARM China, and AC licenses the designed to Chinese companies (Huawei, set top chip makers, embed chip makers) and these companies can continue to develop and modify ARM designs up to V8, but not the newer stuff in last couple years)

ARM China also has power to sell perpetual licenses to fork a chip design, which I think new ARM stuff no longer allowed.

As far as I can tell from a laymen's angle, this is an analogy to ARM switching from retail game disc to cloud gaming, but they opened a loop hole and allowed Chinese customers to buy all old games on disc.

So back to google framework, if google cares about having the Play store and google map service available to every device in the world in the future, they would have to spin off that part of the service out of a US company's hands.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

You know how ARM got around the "tech company being forced to choose between China or US" dilemma?

They created an " ARM China" licensing company, which is a classic 51% China ownership company inside China. ARM licenses their chip design to ARM China, and AC licenses the designed to Chinese companies (Huawei, set top chip makers, embed chip makers) and these companies can continue to develop and modify ARM designs up to V8, but not the newer stuff in last couple years)

ARM China also has power to sell perpetual licenses to fork a chip design, which I think new ARM stuff no longer allowed.

As far as I can tell from a laymen's angle, this is an analogy to ARM switching from retail game disc to cloud gaming, but they opened a loop hole and allowed Chinese customers to buy all old games on disc.

So back to google framework, if google cares about having the Play store and google map service available to every device in the world in the future, they would have to spin off that part of the service out of a US company's hands.

It could still be a possibility, but I think spinning off/having a separate search for China was a direction they were going initially, but just abandoned the idea all together after bad press about it. That was a different era and product area though, maybe they'll do that.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

It's 22 hours, which is way too loving long. You can feel it dragging when you watch.There's a fan edit I liked which cuts it down to a more reasonable 6 hours:
https://disembiggened.com/

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

It's 22 hours, which is way too loving long. You can feel it dragging when you watch.There's a fan edit I liked which cuts it down to a more reasonable 6 hours:
https://disembiggened.com/

hmmm thank you that's a lot more interesting...

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lol jesus

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

When 5G war started, there was great talks of using 5G to communicate between autonomous driving cars to provide safery driving environment.

I find it weird that Huawei hasn't announced a standard for car talking protocol, since they have been selling cars for a couple years.

I'm just gonna take a wild guess, but since that is a logical "next step" for autonomous driving I can only imagine that either there are tons of problems to solve before 5G Car Talk (with Click and Clack) or that it just presents a whole new set of problems to tackle.

The whole thing with AI applications is people keep pointing to massive leaps in error reduction, but it's a Zeno's paradox thing where if you keep halving the error rate it's still gonna take years to get to human capability. It doesn't help that it probably needs to be better than human because human errors and machine errors have some differences, and people may freak out at AV mistakes that are "minor" from the engineer perspective.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Eminent DNS posted:

It could still be a possibility, but I think spinning off/having a separate search for China was a direction they were going initially, but just abandoned the idea all together after bad press about it. That was a different era and product area though, maybe they'll do that.

bad press from the CIA and NSA maybe

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

crepeface posted:

bad press from the CIA and NSA maybe

Well yeah

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Someone criticize or vibe check this position I've been leaning towards

Both the USSR and the PRC attempted liberalization. It destroyed the USSR but massively boosted the PRC. And while I'm sure there's plenty to criticize in the way the USSR went about it, the ultimate reason it failed there but succeeded for China is that any similar or dissimilar flaws (or meritorious features) in the Chinese model were irrelevant due to the sheer volume of capital and technology transfers coming in which were denied to the Soviets, under a capitalist embargo. In other words, the quantitative aspects of liberalization completely dwarfed and subsumed any qualitative defects.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

mila kunis posted:

Both the USSR and the PRC attempted liberalization. It destroyed the USSR but massively boosted the PRC. And while I'm sure there's plenty to criticize in the way the USSR went about it, the ultimate reason it failed there but succeeded for China is that any similar or dissimilar flaws (or meritorious features) in the Chinese model were irrelevant due to the sheer volume of capital and technology transfers coming in which were denied to the Soviets, under a capitalist embargo. In other words, the quantitative aspects of liberalization completely dwarfed and subsumed any qualitative defects.

i think that's possible, but is it the whole story? if liberalisation useless without western support, then why was the west willing to play ball with china, but not the USSR? did the USSR fail at extracting enough concessions from the west for liberalization, or was the US just trying to back the weaker China?

imo, the capitalist powers wanted the resources of the USSR and the markets/labour of china so the strategy to deal with the west should've been different.

you're much better versed in theory than i am, so take a look at this and tell me how relevant/correct you think it is: https://learningfromchina.net/witnessing-at-first-hand-the-ussrs-disintegration-made-me-intensely-understand-the-scale-of-chinas-success/ (here's the relevant bit i think)

quote:

Marx’s analysis, from the first formulation of historical materialism in The German Ideology through to Das Kapital and his last works, was that human and economic development was based on the increasing socialisation of labour. Indeed, the very word “socialism” derives from “socialised” labour and production. In Marx’s analysis each mode of production saw a greater socialisation of labour than the one before, until finally the enormous socialisation of labour in large scale capitalist production produced the preconditions and necessity of socialism.

Regarding this last phase, of the transition from capitalism to socialism, in the famous words of Marx, in the 32nd chapter of Das Kapital on “The historical tendency of capitalist accumulation”: “Hand in hand with this centralisation, or this expropriation of many capitalists by few, develop, on an ever-extending scale, the cooperative form of the labour process, the conscious technical application of science, the methodical cultivation of the soil, the transformation of the instruments of labour into instruments of labour only usable in common, the economising of all means of production by their use as means of production of combined, socialised labour, the entanglement of all peoples in the net of the world market, and with this, the international character of the capitalistic regime…. The monopoly of capital becomes a fetter upon the mode of production, which has sprung up and flourished along with, and under it. Centralisation of the means of production and socialisation of labour at last reach a point where they become incompatible with their capitalist integument. This integument is burst asunder. The knell of capitalist private property sounds. The expropriators are expropriated.”

Several immediate conclusions flow from this analysis by Marx of the increasing socialisation of labour and production:
  • Large scale socialised production is the foundation on which capitalism is overcome – such large-scale socialised production should be “expropriated”, that is it should be in the socialised/state sector of the economy.
  • The largest scale socialised production is necessarily international.
  • As analysed in detail in Das Kapital, increasing “socialisation of labour” does not only apply to labour produced at the same point in time, a “geographical” concept of socialisation of labour, but it means increasing use of labour produced in previous production cycles – that is, in economic terms, an increasing role of fixed investment in the economy, or historical socialisation of labour. This is analysed by Marx in Das Kapital in terms of the increasing “organic composition” of capital.
  • This process of socialisation of labour and production is inevitably uneven in its development – some sectors of the economy will be based on very large-scale socialised production considerably in time before such large-scale socialisation exists across the entire economy. That is, while large scale socialised labour and production exists in in some sectors, in others production will still be based on much less socialised production. The necessity of expropriation of these sectors of the economy based on much less large-scale socialised production therefore does not follow from Marx’s criteria.
  • Factually agriculture lags behind urban production in development of socialisation of labour – i.e there will be relatively non-socialised production in agriculture and small-scale urban production.

The structure of the economy in the first stage of the development of socialism
The economic structure of the first stages of socialist development which flows from the analysis of Marx above is clear.
  • Large scale socialised production should be in the socialist/state sector.
  • This large-scale socialised production must participate in international production.
  • There will be a relatively less socialised production sectors, in particular in agriculture and parts of urban production – which therefore do not need to be in the state sector.

This is, indeed, the economic structure during the initial stage of socialism which Marx outlined in the Communist Manifesto, the Critique of the Gotha Programme and other works – the relevant quotations from Marx are given in “The international and historical significance of the resolution on the history of the CPC”. Given I specialised in the international economy and economic theory these theoretical points by Marx were clear. In 1972 for the first time, I studied the Soviet economy within the framework of the international economy. It was immediately obvious that the Soviet economy did not correspond to this analysis of Marx. Certainly, in the USSR large scale socialised industry was in the state sector but:

• nstead of participating in the largest scale socialised production, that is international production, the USSR was building a largely self-contained economy – therefore cutting itself off from the largest scale of socialised production.
  • Not only was large scale socialised production in the state sector, but far smaller scale, relatively non-socialised production, was in the state sector – something not called for in Marx’s analysis. In particular agriculture, and smaller scale urban production, was in the state sector. In Marxist terms, instead of the base determining the superstructure, that is the economic relations of production determining the legal forms of ownership, legal forms of ownership, state ownership, were being imposed on the economic base.
  • Therefore, while the 1929-40 total statification of the Soviet economy, and its relatively autarchic character, might have been necessary for short term military purposes, in economic terms its continuation into the post-World War II period was an ultra-left deviation from Marx.

The conclusions which followed from that were therefore also clear.
  • Because it was a deviation from Marx’s analysis in terms of long-term economic growth the Soviet model would be unsuccessful.
  • It was required for the Soviet economy to begin to participate in the international economy.
  • The collectivisation of agriculture was a mistake in long term economic terms, as was taking smaller scale urban production into the state sector – that is, agriculture should be decollectivized, and non-large scale urban production should be released from the state sector.

i kinda feel like this excerpt is underselling the enmity that the west had for USSR tho maybe if they were willing to do what china did and open up except for the commanding heights maybe the west would have been willing to deal with them more?

also, maybe this is better for the marxism thread if that guy in there has finished posting about hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and rectangles.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IranSpec/status/1766286687179813019

more trains for the train god

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ArmoredWar/status/1766797084341027011?s=19

Pinoy guy named Rommel driving an Israeli tank

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I did a double take on that and…is that his first name? am I correct in guessing that Rommel is not exactly a typical Filipino name?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it is a funnily common name. Like us with Hitler. I remember reading in the paper about an activist named Hitler Khan.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Best Friends posted:

I did a double take on that and…is that his first name? am I correct in guessing that Rommel is not exactly a typical Filipino name?

That is his first name, yes. It's not a particularly rare Filipino first name, but dads named their kids that for exactly the reasons you might think.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

Guess they didn't want couldn't get the Chinese show

https://youtu.be/CzHJK4Qsrow

Edit: Oh I didn't see I was maliciously and duplicitously redirected to a different thread!

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 09:18 on Mar 11, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I looked up this 791 number in a different article. They are talking about subway rolling stocks. I am pretty sure the Tehran metro already uses Chinese standards, they look exactly like Chinese metro from youtube videos.

There are talks of "Sino-Iran trade has not increased as much as the signed strategic deal promise" in the article, which I have read before in other articles. I have never read any explanation why that is in either English or Chinese reports. This is a topic I am interested in.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PhilippAchtel posted:

lol

Guess they didn't want couldn't get the Chinese show

https://youtu.be/CzHJK4Qsrow

Edit: Oh I didn't see I was maliciously and duplicitously redirected to a different thread!

:clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mila kunis posted:

China only liberalized the consumer market economy in the 80s 90s, it took a long time to open the other markets (education, medical, finance), the political realm was not "liberalized".

I will give you that China got better market opportunity than the Soviet Union. I don't buy the tech transfer angle anymore. Technology for the most part, is just an organic attribute of the market production volume, once you have enough production, technology improvement will come with it. It's not something you can monetize or control. Yes the Anglos has been trying to monetize technology on the stock market and control it thru patents and copyrights and ISO type bodies. But there is no evident technology can be controlled in the sectors China entered first (consumer manufacturing).

As for the main reason why reform didn't work in the Soviet Union. Who knows maybe the USSR was too ideological. I recently read a new take: it took two to tango in the cold war. If the Soviet didn't want to engage, the cold war wouldn't have unfolded the way it did. Currently China doesn't engage in cold war 2.0 with the US. Like the congress pasted a new anti-China bill every 2 months, Beijing just doesn't react to it. There is no cold war 2 if Beijing doesn't want one. The Mao motto for this strategy is "You fight yours, I fight mine."