Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

they send someone who is smart/educated enough to pull it off, but poor enough that nobody will care if they die

basically how I paid for college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

Most/all astronauts are middle class

They are also rigorously trained and survive in orbit at significant expense that does not work at a scale even remotely close to the barest minimum necessary for "colonization." We will run out of time and resources before that can possibly change.

Anyone espousing the sustainability of a space colonization effort are not looking at things from the actual on-the-ground realities of what your dreams would require.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vampire Panties posted:

How did Christopher Columbus get to the New World? Ferdinand and Isabella made a longshot bet because they would get loving paid if it worked out, plus they could flip the bird to John II of Portugal, their richass neighbor.

thats literally how humanity has worked for multiple thousands of years - a rich dude sees a chance to get more rich, and they send someone who is smart/educated enough to pull it off, but poor enough that nobody will care if they die / greedy enough to mount a suicide mission

To draw another analogy - Hot air balloons. The cost of rockets right now is somewhere between 18th century rich dude eccentricism and 19th/20th century vague military applications. It will only get cheaper.

Right, but the technology to put people on boats already existed. Land colonization had already been done. Columbus' funtime slave adventures were not completely unheard of in their own time. The idea of a meaningful number of people in space isn't the same problem as "just build a bigger boat."

Once they arrived, yes, conditions would be horrendous, but they were also comparable to expeditions that preceded them.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Vampire Panties posted:

How did Christopher Columbus get to the New World? Ferdinand and Isabella made a longshot bet because they would get loving paid if it worked out, plus they could flip the bird to John II of Portugal, their richass neighbor.

thats literally how humanity has worked for multiple thousands of years - a rich dude sees a chance to get more rich, and they send someone who is smart/educated enough to pull it off, but poor enough that nobody will care if they die / greedy enough to mount a suicide mission

Christopher Columbus is the one who came to Ferdinand and Isabella tho. They didn't come up with the idea then assign him and send him off, figuring if he dies eh NBD - he came to them pitching his voyage and they decided his sales pitch was good enough they bought in. They specifically didn't want him to die because welp there goes the riches he said only he could find.

Unfortunately he couldn't find the gold so he then pitched to them the idea of chattel slavery as the riches he promised, and they went with it.

That whole things was Columbus scamming venture capital out of Ferdinand and Isabella for his own goals (find a way to get enough money to retake Jerusalem for the Catholics before what he thought was the looming Apocalypse).

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

Right, but the technology to put people on boats already existed. Land colonization had already been done. Columbus' funtime slave adventures were not completely unheard of in their own time. The idea of a meaningful number of people in space isn't the same problem as "just build a bigger boat."

Once they arrived, yes, conditions would be horrendous, but they were also comparable to expeditions that preceded them.

Whats your argument here? Nobody is saying that Columbus's journey was a technical marvel*, or that he was a good person (he wasnt). The greeks (and a lot of other cultures) knew the world was round a thousand years before Columbus was born. Vikings had been to North America 300 years before Columbus convinced the Spanish royalty that there was a faster/cheaper way to sail to India (which would also cut out the Portuguese stranglehold). Colonizing the new world was never about needing a bigger boat, it was about spending the money to send enough boats and people to build a colony with the express purpose of finding riches and sending them back home.

Much like the vikings and vinland, we've gone to space a tiny bit but haven't really figured out how to exploit it yet. Capitalism will do that, whether its helium-3 on the moon or zero-g manufacturing or an iridium asteroid the size of Dallas. Once there's a genuinely valuable reason to go, rich people will be funding space expeditions instantly - and there's no loving way they're going up there to do the work.

*being stuck at sea for 8+ weeks, surrounded by saltwater and unable to swim, with zero medical care and only a vague understanding of nutrition is not so much different than shoving a buncha people into pressurized aluminum cans while they mine moon ore or whatever.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 10, 2024

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Thread took a weird turn.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

posting a lot of ambiguity and thoughts and opinions rather than truths folks dont want to hear and aint ready for

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

Whats your argument here? Nobody is saying that Columbus's journey was a technical marvel*, or that he was a good person (he wasnt). The greeks (and a lot of other cultures) knew the world was round a thousand years before Columbus was born. Vikings had been to North America 300 years before Columbus convinced the Spanish royalty that there was a faster/cheaper way to sail to India (which would also cut out the Portuguese stranglehold). Colonizing the new world was never about needing a bigger boat, it was about spending the money to send enough boats and people to build a colony with the express purpose of finding riches and sending them back home.

Much like the vikings and vinland, we've gone to space a tiny bit but haven't really figured out how to exploit it yet. Capitalism will do that, whether its helium-3 on the moon or zero-g manufacturing or an iridium asteroid the size of Dallas. Once there's a genuinely valuable reason to go, rich people will be funding space expeditions instantly - and there's no loving way they're going up there to do the work.

*being stuck at sea for 8+ weeks, surrounded by saltwater and unable to swim, with zero medical care and only a vague understanding of nutrition is not so much different than shoving a buncha people into pressurized aluminum cans while they mine moon ore or whatever.

It's really sweet that you think this. Genuinely, I hope you get to see it realized.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

posting a lot of ambiguity and thoughts and opinions rather than truths folks dont want to hear and aint ready for

Yup. Let’s keep with the path

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

God exists and you are loved. You don’t have to think bad thoughts about yourself.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If Joseph and Mary were married and Jesus truly is the son of god, then Jesus is actually a bastard.

Also, if Mary cheated on Joseph with god, then she's an adulteress and probably should have gotten stoned to death (not that I care, but doesn't the bible say something about that?). Or, if it wasn't consensual then god is a rapist.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
There are material limits to exponential growth. Progression and proliferation of technological marvels will soon be increasingly difficult and inequitable, until we are literally going backwards. An increasingly destabilized and desperate world will not allow the industrialized global supply chain to support the things we now enjoy.

We aren't colonizing space. It will (relatively) soon be out of reach.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Vampire Panties posted:

The argument, I think, is that living in space will never be sustainable. It's never going to be an "escape" from the same dependencies and needs as the rest of us still down the well. There's a large upfront cost to move some settlers across the ocean, in travel and initial supplies, but after a few years they'll be more or less good on their own, growing their own food and whatnot. Anyone who goes to live in space is going to need constant fresh supplies, not just food but water and air too, the cost will be massive and unending. Maybe we'll find something in space to offset the cost and we'll send some poor miserable bastards up there to harvest it, but sending a few workers to live in little bubbles is not the same as colonization. Not anymore than we've "colonized" the ocean because we built an oil rig.

Anyone who goes to live in space will be just as dependent on earth based resources as the rest of us, and will suffer and die just like the rest of us if there's an ecological collapse.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I find it arrogant to think that just because we don't have the means, knowledge or ability to live/work/play in space on any scale right now, that we can't or won't ever in the future. The first flight from London to France was just over 100 years ago. 50 years later we had people on the dang moon using less computing power than is offered by a scientific calculator. To pretend we know what space technology and the capabilities of it will look like in 50, 100, 500, 5000 years would be incredibly stupid.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The argument, I think, is that living in space will never be sustainable. It's never going to be an "escape" from the same dependencies and needs as the rest of us still down the well. There's a large upfront cost to move some settlers across the ocean, in travel and initial supplies, but after a few years they'll be more or less good on their own, growing their own food and whatnot. Anyone who goes to live in space is going to need constant fresh supplies, not just food but water and air too, the cost will be massive and unending. Maybe we'll find something in space to offset the cost and we'll send some poor miserable bastards up there to harvest it, but sending a few workers to live in little bubbles is not the same as colonization. Not anymore than we've "colonized" the ocean because we built an oil rig.

Anyone who goes to live in space will be just as dependent on earth based resources as the rest of us, and will suffer and die just like the rest of us if there's an ecological collapse.

"Never" is a big word, but it will be very hard. We'd need to conquer several big problems first. But it's all possible.

But building a self-sufficient space colony? Super hard to near impossible in the foreseeable future. I mean, just consider the issues in trying to grow rice in space or on the surface of the Moon or Mars. One example among so many.

So, the truth is, without some big tech breakthrough or an incredible commitment to spending MASSIVE amounts of money, we'll just dabble in space for a long time.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

this conversation would be epic in the gbs space thread!!!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maudib Arakkis posted:

God exists and you are loved. You don’t have to think bad thoughts about yourself.

I thought this was the hard truths thread, not the supposition and imagination thread

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Chief McHeath posted:

I find it arrogant to think that just because we don't have the means, knowledge or ability to live/work/play in space on any scale right now, that we can't or won't ever in the future. The first flight from London to France was just over 100 years ago. 50 years later we had people on the dang moon. To pretend we know what space technology and the capabilities of it will look like in 50, 100, 500, 5000 years would be incredibly stupid.

:ironicat:

Just in case you're not trolling...the idea that "humans have always progressed and colonized and thus always will" can't escape the material reality of the world we built that allowed these amazing and recent innovations. It's like "line will go up forever because it always has". Funny you used the terms arrogant and stupid.

the_nothing
Jan 14, 2024

redshirt posted:

"Never" is a big word, but it will be very hard. We'd need to conquer several big problems first. But it's all possible.

But building a self-sufficient space colony? Super hard to near impossible in the foreseeable future. I mean, just consider the issues in trying to grow rice in space or on the surface of the Moon or Mars. One example among so many.

So, the truth is, without some big tech breakthrough or an incredible commitment to spending MASSIVE amounts of money, we'll just dabble in space for a long time.

Social problems also need to be resolved in some way before this can be realistic imo

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BRJurgis posted:

:ironicat:

Just in case you're not trolling...the idea that "humans have always progressed and colonized and thus always will" can't escape the material reality of the world we built that allowed these amazing and recent innovations. It's like "line will go up forever because it always has". Funny you used the terms arrogant and stupid.

So we’ve reached the pinnacle of technology and understanding and there are no breakthroughs or discoveries to be made, ever, got it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Counterpoint: God doesn't exist and it's entirely possible that no one loves you. Definitely agree with the second part though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Human progress is not guaranteed. I think many feel that it is, baked into our bones from day one.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The dark side of the moon is dark because the moon, like earth, is a flat disc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Car Hater posted:

The dark side of the moon is dark because the moon, like earth, is a flat disc

Its all dark.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tides are caused by the Moon (and to a much lesser degree, the Sun, and thus also, to an even much much lesser degree Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Asteroids maybe?), and we are made of about 70% water. So is it so absurd to consider the Moon has SOME influence on people? And the Sun, Jupiter, Mars.....

Maybe also gravity waves.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

not anymore its not lol

Fast food is still the cheapest option when you consider that it's prorated to unit price, and even at an obscene markup for profit, that's still cheaper than investing in bulk-buying and not exchanging time for pay. Plus, the time spent not working goes into work-related or compounded matters, like waiting at a free clinic(because you're so unhealthy from all the fast food you eat), or doing laundry so you don't get fired for a "messy appearance".

wesleywillis posted:

If Joseph and Mary were married and Jesus truly is the son of god, then Jesus is actually a bastard.

Also, if Mary cheated on Joseph with god, then she's an adulteress and probably should have gotten stoned to death (not that I care, but doesn't the bible say something about that?). Or, if it wasn't consensual then god is a rapist.

The same religious people who espouse the Immaculate Conception also conveniently overlook it as a fail case for "abstinence only 100% effective" rhetoric; but if you didn't believe, then it would actually be true.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mistle posted:

Fast food is still the cheapest option when you consider that it's prorated to unit price, and even at an obscene markup for profit, that's still cheaper than investing in bulk-buying and not exchanging time for pay. Plus, the time spent not working goes into work-related or compounded matters, like waiting at a free clinic(because you're so unhealthy from all the fast food you eat), or doing laundry so you don't get fired for a "messy appearance".

The same religious people who espouse the Immaculate Conception also conveniently overlook it as a fail case for "abstinence only 100% effective" rhetoric; but if you didn't believe, then it would actually be true.

Yep a mcdouble is 22 grams of animal protein and 400 calories for under $3. McDonalds is completely vertically integrated and it's hard to beat that price.

Once you get into premium burgers or sides your money gets you a lot less.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Yeah, God's already doing that for you. If he exists, that bastard loves like an abusive stepdad, doing hosed up poo poo to you to 'build character '. I don't want him.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 10, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

redshirt posted:

Tides are caused by the Moon (and to a much lesser degree, the Sun, and thus also, to an even much much lesser degree Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Asteroids maybe?), and we are made of about 70% water. So is it so absurd to consider the Moon has SOME influence on people? And the Sun, Jupiter, Mars.....

Maybe also gravity waves.

Sure, technically gravity has no range limit, so the other planets are, in a strict sense, exhibiting some gravitational pull on your body. But they're so far away, your car and even your next door neighbor have a stronger gravitational pull on you than any other planet.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sure, technically gravity has no range limit, so the other planets are, in a strict sense, exhibiting some gravitational pull on your body. But they're so far away, your car and even your next door neighbor have a stronger gravitational pull on you than any other planet.

My neighbor jason? oh heck no

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

counterfeitsaint posted:

Calling in sick on Monday: Prius is in retrograde and Moe is waxing gibbos. Not a good day for an Aquafina.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Ketchup isn't as bad as the meme world has made it out to be. I go through like 30mL of ketchup every two years but come on it's not the soul-crushing poison that drama queens make it out to be.

e: that is my dumbass "truth" for today.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 11, 2024

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

cumpantry posted:

in english, egghead

If you move really quickly away from a source of gravity and then return your watch will be off mark by a fraction of one millionth of a second. Welcome to the future!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Well it would be the Moon which would have the primary influence. Lunacy, so to speak.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Water is a molten rock, we just happen to live on a lava planet

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
we are the Water Planet trope from science fiction

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

ProperCauldron posted:

we are the Water Planet trope from science fiction

Man, you if you think we are now, just wait!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

redshirt posted:

Well it would be the Moon which would have the primary influence. Lunacy, so to speak.

Indirectly. Maybe. If you squint.

For most of human existence, the phase of the moon had a major impact on how active humans can be at night, cause sometimes you can see and sometimes you just can't. We already know the human body tends to operate in cycles, one of which is already pretty lined up with lunar phases. It's not impossible to think that some people have, on a hormonal or chemical level, adapted to a cycle synched up with the phases of the moon. Or it could just be that when the full moon is bright its easier to do crime or party or do anything at all at night that people would call crazy.

Either way, it's humans adapting to how well lit their environment is, just like they're active when the sun is visible, not being affected by tidal forces or gravity waves or because we have water in our bodies or whatever.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
This has become some sorta space thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
food is medicine