Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Politically loaded map: coloring colonies with the vote color of the Metropole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Quorum posted:

Politically loaded map: coloring colonies with the vote color of the Metropole.

ahem, algerie is an integral part of france

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BonHair posted:

From a Copenhagen perspective, Prussia looks pretty good. Maybe give them the motorway rest stop (Funen) too though.

Without Jylland the Danish islands would soon fall to Swedish invasion unless you could capture and hold Skåne.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

ahem, algerie is an integral part of france
Well naturally. But there's still the southern border of integral France in the Sahara, and for some reason it's colored France on the other side as well.

I was actually reflecting on how interesting it was that Japan was the only entirely non-European country in this map that colors in countries all over the globe.

And then I realized that for some reason the European part of the Ottoman Empire apparently didn't participate.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Am I reading the map right and britain tried to game the conference by giving each state in Australia a seperate vote?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They were six separate self-governing entities until federation in 1901

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Am I reading the map right and britain tried to game the conference by giving each state in Australia a seperate vote?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

if you count the borders and compare it to the votes then you'll see that the whole British empire only got one vote with two delegates for Canada and India.

The map just has the british and french empires internal borders for colonies outlined for some reason like modern day maps will have the borders for all the US states and sometimes the canadian provinces even when its not relevant.

It also doesn't count for example Cuba and the Phillipines as Spanish colonies inexplicably so it makes it even more confusing since its inconsistent with its own rules

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 10, 2024

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's the list of the participants:

Hawaii as an independent entity with voting power was a bit surprising to me.

That of course didn't last long after this.

quote:

In 1893, local businessmen and politicians, composed of six non-native Hawaiian Kingdom subjects, five American nationals, one British national, and one German national, all of whom were living in Hawaiʻi, overthrew the regime and took over the government.

Historians suggest that businessmen were in favor of overthrow and annexation to the U.S. in order to benefit from more favorable trade conditions.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 10, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There would be riots if we had to live in a Great Bavaria, this is supreme bullshit. That's like making a unified state from California to Texas and calling it Great Texas.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Eiba posted:

I was actually reflecting on how interesting it was that Japan was the only entirely non-European country in this map that colors in countries all over the globe.

Huh? Less than half the colored in countries are European.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, there were 41 delegates voting on behalf of 26 sovereign entities. Hawaii is a surprise because it's probably one of the lowest-powered nations there (maybe like Liberia, Guatemala, or Santo Domingo could give it a run for its money), but that's because the focus of the conference isn't one of the many instances of the Great Powers of the 19th century making deals among themselves for the rest of the world to only listen, it's about genuinely trying to create a global standard of time, and Hawaii is especially important for that since it's so far from anywhere else on the opposite side of the world in a place where the map decided not to depict it.

Including Japan was also important for similar reasons, but it would be more of a regular at Great Power meetings.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I still refuse to acknowledge the unlawful American coup of the sovereign Kingdom of Hawaii.

It's not a state it's an occupied area.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

There would be riots if we had to live in a Great Bavaria, this is supreme bullshit. That's like making a unified state from California to Texas and calling it Great Texas.
They could call it Even Worse Schandau instead :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I still refuse to acknowledge the unlawful American coup of the sovereign Kingdom of Hawaii.

It's not a state it's an occupied area.

We had a Hawaiian president. It's fine now.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Torrannor posted:

Germans: I am a member of a single unified European culture

Also Germans: No, nein, I have nothing, nothing in common with the foul Bavarian

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

German Unification is the biggest mistake in human history and tens of millions of deaths could've been avoided if Germany was still dozens of vaguely related independent states.

Which is why we should break it down again just to be safe.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

Huh? Less than half the colored in countries are European.
When I said "entirely non-European" I was considering former European colonies as being kind of European. And including the Ottoman Empire 'cause their capital is in Europe.

So only Japan, Liberia, and (surprisingly) Hawaii were "entirely" non-European countries included in the decision.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Eiba posted:

When I said "entirely non-European" I was considering former European colonies as being kind of European. And including the Ottoman Empire 'cause their capital is in Europe.

So only Japan, Liberia, and (surprisingly) Hawaii were "entirely" non-European countries included in the decision.

Liberia's an American colony, totally different.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Safety Biscuits posted:

Second order European colony

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Safety Biscuits posted:

I thought long and hard about whether I should include Liberia in the "entirely non-European" category. I figured since I was saying former European colonies counted, then a European colony's colony wouldn't count. Or rather if it did count I didn't want to bother explaining why I thought it did, so I let it be "entirely" non-European in my almost entirely arbitrary definition, purely out of laziness because I did not want to over explain a largely made up concept. I regret my lack of rigor and will do better next time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colonial Liberians are English just like all other Yankees.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, every grain of sand that was touched by an European foot is ancestral European land, deus vult

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

soviet elsa posted:

I have nothing, nothing in common with the foul Bavarian
New vote to make the Weißwurstäquator the new prime meridian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

Second order European colony

Third order. A colony established by African Americans.

confusedmathlady.gif

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 11, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Everything below the line is Bavaria, everything above it is Scandinavia, nobody is happy about this.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

These are also the only countries above the 49th parallel.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know, i think you might be right. 'European' is an unnecessary qualifier there.

Shout out to the Gulf Stream etc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You forgot about Greenland.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You know who didn't, tho? Watch Trump invade once he gets elected.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You know who didn't, tho? Watch Trump invade once he gets elected.
Careful now. Last time I suggested the US might conquer Greenland in the future, people got on my case about this being a delusional idea.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Careful now. Last time I suggested the US might conquer Greenland in the future, people got on my case about this being a delusional idea.

Just need to wait a few years so it's not all just ice

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I refuse to count Greenland until they're properly independent.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I refuse to count Greenland until they're properly independent.

Independent... like Texas!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

Everything below the line is Bavaria, everything above it is Scandinavia, nobody is happy about this.

The border to Southern Germany runs along the river Elbe, actually.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

The border to Southern Germany runs along the river Elbe, actually.
Bavaria is the Deep South.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Latitude lines are not straight horizontal on that map projection! :mad:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Guavanaut posted:

70% of Canadians live south of that line too, lol.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Muscle Tracer posted:

70% of Canadians live south of that line too, lol.

While a majority of Germans live north of it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Torrannor posted:

While a majority of Germans live north of it.

It's a game of two halves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If having parts below the line makes the country grey, shouldn't Gibraltar and the Falklands make the UK grey?