Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
unless I'm mistaken they fixed a rounding error so 6x 1 hour is identical to 1x 6 hour now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, that chart is no longer valid, all expedition lengths are now equally valid. The only consideration that would dissuade you from 1hrs is if you are wanting to switch in an Expedition Reward combo pet team at the end of every expedition, in which case you’d likely want longer expeditions so you can sleep and whatnot.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Ironwood: Is there any point in levelling up *all* the combat skills? I don't understand why I shouldn't just stick with one, yet.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

GrossMurpel posted:

Ironwood: Is there any point in levelling up *all* the combat skills? I don't understand why I shouldn't just stick with one, yet.
Challenges call for different skills. You can skip them, but I found it worthwhile to get the other skills to 40ish. I don't know if that's optimal or not, though. My primary skill is like thirty levels higher than my secondary.

It's also faster and easier to level your non-primary combat skills later, when you have higher defense and better runes.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

GrossMurpel posted:

I like my numbers to be within range of eachother, so all of my combat skills are at 67 right now. In fact, 11 of my 14 skills are between 65-72. Woodcut/mining/smelting are a lot higher.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Ironwood: Is there any point in levelling?

No. There is zero content. The only thing that changes with progress is some of the icons and how many repetitions they take to make number go up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FAPI expeditions are feeling much quicker and more useful once you get a couple teams and expedition slots up, especially with the 1 hour auto reset. It's kind of hard to tell how much of a difference it's making exactly but judging by the numbers in the pet info tab I'm assuming it's quite a bit.

Edit: is there a pet combo I should be aiming for? I'm basically just picking up whatever pets I can at this point but wasn't sure if it's worth grinding out a couple zones early on for some particularly good combos or pets.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

FAPI expeditions are feeling much quicker and more useful once you get a couple teams and expedition slots up, especially with the 1 hour auto reset. It's kind of hard to tell how much of a difference it's making exactly but judging by the numbers in the pet info tab I'm assuming it's quite a bit.

Edit: is there a pet combo I should be aiming for? I'm basically just picking up whatever pets I can at this point but wasn't sure if it's worth grinding out a couple zones early on for some particularly good combos or pets.

Not exactly sure at what point of the game you are at, but early-mid game, Dangun/Julian/Vishnu make a powerful Ground core that you’ll ride until you hit World 7 and start swapping out for Card Power pets. Louna, Niord, David, Nidhogg, and Fujin will fill out your Air slots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Klungar posted:

Not exactly sure at what point of the game you are at, but early-mid game, Dangun/Julian/Vishnu make a powerful Ground core that you’ll ride until you hit World 7 and start swapping out for Card Power pets. Louna, Niord, David, Nidhogg, and Fujin will fill out your Air slots.

Thank you! I'm still only up to 5-4 right now so some of those are out of my range but I was already doing expeditions in the right spot for Vishnou/Fujin and am grinding out Nidhogg now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gathering event is on in Ironwood.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have finished. Chronicle 6 for Your Chronicle. And it looks like I must find another "main incremental game".

I have played this one for many years so is hard to quit, but don't seems to have more for me. ( I am doing pride challenges, but these are filler content ).

Hopefully I find another incremental. Maybe I should give NGU another check.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Tei posted:

I have finished. Chronicle 6 for Your Chronicle. And it looks like I must find another "main incremental game".

I have played this one for many years so is hard to quit, but don't seems to have more for me. ( I am doing pride challenges, but these are filler content ).

Hopefully I find another incremental. Maybe I should give NGU another check.

Have you tried Melvor Idle, Wizard And Minion Idle, Idle Spiral, or Idle Research?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

NachtSieger posted:

Have you tried Melvor Idle, Wizard And Minion Idle, Idle Spiral, or Idle Research?

Melvor Idle ....yes, not my tea cup.

W&MI I have never heard before, I must check it.

Idle Spiral never tried before, maybe is the time.

Idle Research I think I bounced on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WAMI is fun but much like his sequel Farmers Against Potatoes Idle (FAPI) the somewhat incomprehensible UI is, uh, part of the charm.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crafting event is up in Ironwood.

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Considering starting Melvor Idle (again), should I play standard or this Ancient Relics mode?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Giant Octopus posted:

Considering starting Melvor Idle (again), should I play standard or this Ancient Relics mode?

Ancient Relics mode is very weird, but very satisfying to make progress in. If you've already gotten fairly far in normal mode or played OG runescape, it's an interesting challenge. Worst case you can make a relic and a normal character at the same time and play both, and drop the relic character if you don't care for it.

Your major roadblocks change constantly. For your first two or three dungeons, food sourcing is a huge issue, and you'll almost certainly be manually eating whenever trying to push a new dungeon. Getting gold when almost everything is level 10 is heartbreaking too!

Early to late midgame, getting reasonable gear is a hugely dependent on getting the right skill uncaps (and knowing which skills they are), and knowing what can be sourced from monster drops. You WILL need the wiki a lot, it's also helpful for planning which dungeon is going to be the most reasonable to do next.

You basically don't need to grind exp until you hit the god dungeons, unless you get lucky and get 2 or 3 of the same skill as options from a single dungeon reward. But it is strange to play a Runescape clone with EXP not being a problem for so long.

The lack of crafting item preservation/doubling is kind of weird since it means like a third of the crafting-related buffs and systems don't apply to you. I'm only just now feeling how much it hurts in the 80s level range.

The relics themselves feel about as rare as the skill pets, you won't be getting all of them for any skill unless you do the skill a lot. I've only got all the relics for mining and thieving at 74 days of playing.

When you do finally bust down a dungeon after a week or two of preparing and getting everything to their level caps and such, it's extremely satisfying to immediately get the level upgrades you know will allow you to get the next dungeon (eventually).

These are just some of my experiences playing relic mode, having gotten all the way through the first god dungeon. The goon channel in the NGU discord talks about Melvor a lot lately, and I especially recommend anyone playing relic mode to join it if you ever get stuck.

Giant Octopus
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the write-up! Some of it was completely over my head since I'm almost entirely new to OG Melvor but I think I'm getting the vibe that ancient relics is a more tiered/directed experience. Do you have a link to that discord so I can hop in? Or is that pinned somewhere?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Giant Octopus posted:

Thanks for the write-up! Some of it was completely over my head since I'm almost entirely new to OG Melvor but I think I'm getting the vibe that ancient relics is a more tiered/directed experience. Do you have a link to that discord so I can hop in? Or is that pinned somewhere?

Here's an invite to the discord, good for 7 days:

https://discord.gg/r55Wa4Bn

Note you'll need to PM 4G (maybe Musluk too? not sure only 4G) to get the goons role, currently the channel is called "gently caress-Lowtax"

The biggest thing I meant to add about Relics is that it forces you to interact with combat very quickly- it's otherwise possible/reasonable to max out most of the crafting and gathering skills without touching it too much, which makes for a very different experience. It is more directed to be sure but it's definitely more of a "challenge mode" than a "this is the intended way to play" mode.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Relics is interesting and the relic bonuses are in some cases hilariously good, but the combat skill caps and RNG stat cap unlocks force some interesting decisionmaking at times as standard approaches may not work properly. Doesn't hurt to have the alt there though, you can always just sit them on thieving or something when you can't focus on them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Giant Octopus posted:

Relics kind of is that, and kind of isn't. Basically your skills all start with a cap of 10 levels out of a total 120, when in regular Melvor there's nothing stopping you from immediately idling for a few days and leveling Woodcutting to 120 or whatever. Each time you clear a new dungeon, your combat skills all get their cap raised, and you're given the choice of raising the cap of 3 noncombat skills out of a randomly selected pool. In some ways this makes the game a lot less directed because of the semirandom selection; if all the guides on the wiki tell you to use dragon armor to clear a certain dungeon but you never got offered enough Smithing cap increases to make dragon armor, you're going to have to improvise -- basically everybody's "run" through the mode is going to be different based on the cap increases offered and chosen.

It's not all "hard mode" though -- each skill has associated Ancient Relics you gain by doing them (very low drop chance but a few are guaranteed at certain skill levels), which are permanent passive bonuses, and some of them are ridiculously broken & unlocking one can completely change your strategy for your character. To balance that out, certain modifiers are disabled in the game mode -- anything that gives "chance to preserve resources" or "chance to double items" doesn't work.

I definitely wouldn't say the mode is for Melvor veterans only (I played the regular game for a little while, then started an Ancient Relics "side character", and then abandoned my main completely because I liked the mode so much). That said, it does help a lot to have a basic understanding of the game and know what skills to prioritize raising caps on -- for quick and dirty spoilers raise slayer because it lets you fight harder monsters with better drops so you'll be less dependent on crafting, raise thieving because it's a great source of money, raise summoning and herblore because they can both help with combat and no combat skills -- but it's not insurmountable. Just get ready to frequently check the wiki (which is great, with in-game links to everything relevant) for monster drop tables etc. because you'll be much more reliant on farming good gear from combat.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

recently stumbled upon Idle Iktah, a mobile game that's pretty interesting, starts off seemingly melvor but has quest lines, some personality and unlocking new skills, features as you go.

Its really focused on you being part of a community and helping build it up, sort of harvest moon/stardew like.

The dang icon caught my eye cause i can't stop getting rainbow baited and it turned out to be a cool idler

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
It's harder than I'd like to learn how anything works in the latest gooboo event. I'm pretty sure the "tier chance" stat is supposed to be the chance of a flower to give flower-birth to a flower of the same tier, but it's not like the game tells you what that chance is, only how much you've increased it by. Until the first time it managed to give one, I thought maybe it could be a chance for combining same tier flowers to fail to tier-up, like in some korean mmo.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Red Minjo posted:

I thought maybe it could be a chance for combining same tier flowers to fail to tier-up, like in some korean mmo.

That was a couple events ago!

I hear you tho, but I am kinda liking this one. Except I'm guessing it's just gonna hit a massive wall after the next flower.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Baddog posted:

That was a couple events ago!

I hear you tho, but I am kinda liking this one. Except I'm guessing it's just gonna hit a massive wall after the next flower.

Don't forget to swap out the flower in the growbox, i found out you could do that entirely by accident.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Paragon Pioneers 2 is out in some regions or otherwise pretty soon for everyone else. Available on mobile and steam. Also like the first one there’s a free demo version that lets you play the starting island.

Pretty excited as it seems like the first one but just more. More resource types, more building types, more units etc. Added skill system as well.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FAPI question - Once the talent tree is filled out, does class experience do anything? Should class related reincarnation/residue/expedition stuff be ignored after that point?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

FAPI question - Once the talent tree is filled out, does class experience do anything? Should class related reincarnation/residue/expedition stuff be ignored after that point?

you still get stat points per level and there's going to be a new talent tree in a upcoming patch but mostly yes

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Class Level is still the base component of your Reincarnation Level, it’s still important.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Don't forget to swap out the flower in the growbox, i found out you could do that entirely by accident.

You can drag a flower onto a flower of the same size in the Breeder box and it will combine and NOT reset your timer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FAPI, I just hit A7 the other day so I've unlocked Hard mode. I haven't really been doing much with Medium, since it seems like while playing earlier stages on higher difficulties can potentially get you a higher IR the higher tier gear is still better since it has the extra bonuses. I'm normally just pushing the highest I can go in normal. Is this accurate or is it worth doing more grinding in lower stages at the higher difficulties throughout an ascension for better gear? Not sure if I'm leaving a lot on the table by not doing this.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
gooboo: ooof I thought the valuable mutation made the buds 3x as valuable, it just makes the flower itself more valuable. Just sell them asap and I think the good mutations for growing are just resistant/splitting/mutating.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cerepol posted:

recently stumbled upon Idle Iktah, a mobile game that's pretty interesting, starts off seemingly melvor but has quest lines, some personality and unlocking new skills, features as you go.

Its really focused on you being part of a community and helping build it up, sort of harvest moon/stardew like.

The dang icon caught my eye cause i can't stop getting rainbow baited and it turned out to be a cool idler

I've been playing for a couple months now and I love it. It's so freaking chill, the art is excellent, there's a lot of weird things to dig into and most of all, it's super charming and cozy. I bought the no ads thing too because I really dig this game and want the dev to succeed.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

explosivo posted:

FAPI, I just hit A7 the other day so I've unlocked Hard mode. I haven't really been doing much with Medium, since it seems like while playing earlier stages on higher difficulties can potentially get you a higher IR the higher tier gear is still better since it has the extra bonuses. I'm normally just pushing the highest I can go in normal. Is this accurate or is it worth doing more grinding in lower stages at the higher difficulties throughout an ascension for better gear? Not sure if I'm leaving a lot on the table by not doing this.

you want to get as far as you can on each difficulty because 101-300 each count as another wave for "waves spawned" in reincarnation and hard is generally the best to farm on bc of the worm bonus

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saraiguma posted:

you want to get as far as you can on each difficulty because 101-300 each count as another wave for "waves spawned" in reincarnation and hard is generally the best to farm on bc of the worm bonus

Oh poo poo, I didn't know that or forgot it. I'll have to keep that in mind!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Gathering event is on in Ironwood.

Following this gathering event, we'll be doing combat events until we get enough large fangs to finish the Guild Hall, followed by Gathering Events until we get enough Hyacinth to finish the Guild Hall. I recognize these are high-level items, and not everyone can do them; if you're a high enough level to be able to harvest Hyacinth and Large Fangs, try to aim for a total of at least 10,000 of each contributed (more is always welcome, and greatly appreciated). If you're not high enough level for Hyacinth/Large Fangs and still want to get your Guild contributions numbers up, the Guild Library is going to be our next building once we're done with the Guild Hall, and it will need quite a bit of money and Ironwood Logs (which definitely isn't the lowest-level thing, but is more easily attainable than Hyacinth/Large Fangs).

We're very slowly catching up to the #15 guild in the rankings, which is why I want to push Guild Library next; the Guild XP number seems to be the hardest number in the game to make go up, so it should be our primary driver.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Trastion posted:

You can drag a flower onto a flower of the same size in the Breeder box and it will combine and NOT reset your timer.

This is so goddamn obtuse. I would have never figured it out.

OrangeOrbit
Apr 27, 2008
Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

Thanks for recommending this. I had a hard time getting into Melvor when I tried it several years ago, but am really enjoying this even though I think the underlying game is pretty similar.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Hand Row posted:

Paragon Pioneers 2 is out in some regions or otherwise pretty soon for everyone else. Available on mobile and steam. Also like the first one there’s a free demo version that lets you play the starting island.

Pretty excited as it seems like the first one but just more. More resource types, more building types, more units etc. Added skill system as well.

Why did you do this, you've ruined me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I didn't really love Paragon Pioneers 1 as much as I expected to as someone who loves Anno and idlers. It takes lots of real time waiting around for trade routes which meant I couldn't set up feeder islands that make *thing* and distribute *thing* because you only get one delivery per 30 minutes. It's entirely possible I just gave up too early on. I think I might give this sequel another shot though, it's a good price for a mobile game with no microtransactions.