Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I recently bought a new pair of Under Armor shoes about 3 weeks ago for my daily wear to work and stuff. I'm going to cut to the chase - they loving stink bad. My last couple of pairs of shoes were never this bad, it's obviously something in the material or whatever that must absorb sweat or something like that. Does anyone have any tips or tricks or do I have to buy more shoes? I keep a thing of fairly strong vinegar(usually about 70% vinegar 30% water), and I've absolutely soaked them in that, and it helps, but they go back to stinking like 3 days later. I haven't actually washed them in the machine yet. Might help, but I imagine they will just stink again pretty quick since it only took a couple of weeks after being brand new.

The insoles seem to be glued in. I remember a long time ago I had a smell shoe issue, and replacing the insole fixed it, but I'm not sure I can do that this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Who is this? My mom saw him in a diner in central Iowa and is convinced he is a celebrity:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dollar store Steven Seagal?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I remember hearing years ago that Wheat bread isn't that much more healthy than White bread, unless it's 100% Whole Grain / 100% Whole Wheat. Well, recently I started to wonder if that assertion was correct, but when I google it, I mostly just get other people saying that it's better. I can't find much about why except "it has all the nutrition" but is it really that simple?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Magnetic North posted:

I remember hearing years ago that Wheat bread isn't that much more healthy than White bread, unless it's 100% Whole Grain / 100% Whole Wheat. Well, recently I started to wonder if that assertion was correct, but when I google it, I mostly just get other people saying that it's better. I can't find much about why except "it has all the nutrition" but is it really that simple?

Healthier Is arguable (since it depends on what else gets put in), but whole grain is more nutritious since it has, well, the whole grain. The flour for white bread removes the outer husks of the grain, which does contain useful amounts of nutrients

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Numbers from Google's sidebar for white bread vs. whole wheat bread, omitting the entries where they're basically identical:

Serving size: 30g (white) vs. 28g (whole wheat)
Calories: 79 vs. 69
Potassium: 35mg vs. 69mg
Total carbs: 15g vs. 12g
Fiber: .8g vs 1.9g
Protein: 2.7g vs. 3.6g

Is it a huge difference? Not really. But you get a lower-carb, higher-fiber/protein food. It's going to take longer to digest, and not cause as much of a blood sugar spike.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

two fish posted:

What does "real ____ hours" mean? Sometimes I'll see things like "real schizo hours" or "real Greg hours" and I have no idea what it means.

I think it started with "real n***a hours" by Black internet users referring to the middle of the night when "fake" people are sleeping and only the "real ones" are still up shitposting or whatever. From there it diverged into other variations but still referring to pretty much the same notion.

Greg is just one of those names that shitposters have glommed onto, it's not supposed to make sense.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Numbers from Google's sidebar for white bread vs. whole wheat bread, omitting the entries where they're basically identical:

Serving size: 30g (white) vs. 28g (whole wheat)
Calories: 79 vs. 69
Potassium: 35mg vs. 69mg
Total carbs: 15g vs. 12g
Fiber: .8g vs 1.9g
Protein: 2.7g vs. 3.6g

Is it a huge difference? Not really. But you get a lower-carb, higher-fiber/protein food. It's going to take longer to digest, and not cause as much of a blood sugar spike.

The micronutrients aren't a meaningful consideration in the diet for the average globally wealthy person, but higher fiber and lower calories make it much healthier for practical consideration in the west. People here are generally more threatened by overnourishment than undernourishment and anything that keeps you satiated for longer is generally going to be better for you unless you're replacing your meals with adhd meds or meth or something.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Those choppers with the grid shaped blade and the bucket underneath where you slam the lid into the veg looks pretty drat convenient but is there anyway to sharpen that blade?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Killingyouguy! posted:

Those choppers with the grid shaped blade and the bucket underneath where you slam the lid into the veg looks pretty drat convenient but is there anyway to sharpen that blade?

No, and they're also a pain in the rear end to clean. And chopping isn't that hard with a good knife. You split your veg most of the way lengthwise once or twice, then start chopping, and there ya go.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

drat, disappointing.

(gently caress chopping though I hate chopping even when I use the good knives)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

drat, disappointing.

(gently caress chopping though I hate chopping even when I use the good knives)

Then chop em into big ol pieces and call it "rustic".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Proper chopping technique also makes a huge difference. Your non knife have fingers go vertical and way too close to the knife

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
This forum still won't accept paypal. Is there a thread where I paypal someone with a credit card money and they give me a gift certificate? Do not offer to receive money from me, please. Just asking for a way to give money to this place. Thanks.

\/ I'll try this then. Thanks!

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 10, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

This forum still won't accept paypal. Is there a thread where I paypal someone with a credit card money and they give me a gift certificate? Do not offer to receive money from me, please. Just asking for a way to give money to this place. Thanks.

Probably SAMart

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it possible for dentists to use braces to reposition wisdom teeth? I tried Googling but no bueno. I keep getting pressured to remove mine. I would much rather pay to get braces at 31 and reposition my wisdom teeth so that I can keep them. Dentists are concerned that due to their position, they'll potentially cause cavities between the sides of the molars in front. I've already had 4 teeth removed in my teens when my then orthodontist wanted to make space for my overcrowded teeth. I don't want to then go and remove a further 4 wisdom teeth just living their lives.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are those window vacuums things any good? I mean this type of poo poo:

I have relatively huge windows and am very lazy about washing them, so that happens very infrequently. If they're better in actual use than the sponge on a stick method though, I might give it a try.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How do I find a house cleaner that I know isn't a thief or a serial killer, besides word of mouth?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Probably look up what chains are in the area, see if they're bonded/insured for whatever the amount required is in your state/country, see if they background check, and start there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BonHair posted:

Proper chopping technique also makes a huge difference. Your non knife have fingers go vertical and way too close to the knife

Go on YouTube, search for "proper knife technique" and go with a chef whose name you recognize.

Bonus tip: for long things like green onions, cut them into a few bigger segments, line them all up, and chop the whole thing in a fraction of the time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

Go on YouTube, search for "proper knife technique" and go with a chef whose name you recognize.

Bonus tip: for long things like green onions, cut them into a few bigger segments, line them all up, and chop the whole thing in a fraction of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8FPk5qN9k

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay here's a dumb question. I've never uploaded a song or music track before, and I need to post a link to one in the musician forum to get help with something.

What website or app do I use to do that? Preferably for free, and without having to make a loving account.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 11, 2024

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I. M. Gei posted:

Okay here's a dumb question. I've never uploaded a song or music track before, and I need to post a link to one in the musician forum to get help with something.

What website or app do I use to do that? Preferably for free, and without having to make a loving account.

If it's only to be shared with a small audience for a specific reason you could just upload it to Google Drive, assuming you already have a Google account.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If it's a short piece of audio like one song, vocaroo is pretty straightforward, and more anonymous than google drive

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

alnilam posted:

If it's a short piece of audio like one song, vocaroo is pretty straightforward, and more anonymous than google drive

This is what I ended up using. Someone in the other forum suggested it and I was too slow to delete my post here because I got distracted with something.

Thanks!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Qubee posted:

Is it possible for dentists to use braces to reposition wisdom teeth? I tried Googling but no bueno. I keep getting pressured to remove mine. I would much rather pay to get braces at 31 and reposition my wisdom teeth so that I can keep them. Dentists are concerned that due to their position, they'll potentially cause cavities between the sides of the molars in front. I've already had 4 teeth removed in my teens when my then orthodontist wanted to make space for my overcrowded teeth. I don't want to then go and remove a further 4 wisdom teeth just living their lives.

1) Not that I've ever heard of. You are 31, I believe that braces probably won't correct something like this. 2) Ask a dentist, but most people don't hold on to their wisdom teeth. 3) It sounds like you have talked to a dentist, you just don't like their answer. You can ask another dentist, but if this is possible, it's probably more expensive and painful than just having them removed.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why is my home internet much slower during the day?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Say I have a few objects or image files with some text in Chinese on them, and I want to translate these into English. Given that I can't copy and paste the text into Google translate, what are some other tools I could use to translate them on my own? (I.e., not just asking a native speaker to translate them for me)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Say I have a few objects or image files with some text in Chinese on them, and I want to translate these into English. Given that I can't copy and paste the text into Google translate, what are some other tools I could use to translate them on my own? (I.e., not just asking a native speaker to translate them for me)

Google Translate can translate from images. On desktop you can submit an image, on the mobile app you can just point your phone at the text and it does it live in AR.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

El Jeffe posted:

Google Translate can translate from images. On desktop you can submit an image, on the mobile app you can just point your phone at the text and it does it live in AR.

Whaaaaaaat. I did not know that! Well, that makes it super easy -- thanks!!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Y'all please help me, I'm going nuts. I rent a shithole apartment in a small metal building with 4 units, there's a smell in my living room and it's getting worse. It's definitely some kind of urine, and it's very strong along one wall.

I was sure it was mice, but I got up in the stupid drop ceiling and though there was plenty of evidence of mice I didn't smell it at all up there. (It was also full of leaves, so there is plenty of air flow up there.) The stench seems to be the absolute worst in one corner, near the floor.

So maybe the mice are also in the walls or maybe my wall-sharing neighbors and their three dogs are being gross and the smell is seeping through.

I'm only here a few more months. Is there any way to block this odor?? It's strong enough that two wax warmers don't disguise it any more. If I hung plastic or a heavy blanket up along he wall would that even do anything?

I have an ozone generator, but I don't know how that would get to the source of the problem.

I feel like I'm living in a goddamn men's room.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the general culture (and especially place names and nobility) of Spain seen as ridiculous by Latin American Spanish speakers, in the same way that Americans view the UK?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

artsy fartsy posted:

maybe my wall-sharing neighbors and their three dogs are being gross and the smell is seeping through

I'd bet on this, and unfortunately if this is the issue, it'll have to be fixed by a) treating the spot in your neighbor's apartment with enyzmatic cleaner, and b) making sure the dogs don't piss there again, which if they've built up a habit of doing so, isn't going to be entirely trivial. i.e. it relies on the neighbor being a good pet owner who's willing to put in the effort to re-train the dogs. Step 1 is to talk to the neighbor. Good luck!

That ozone generator isn't good for you, by the way. Ozone is very reactive and will eat you just as much as it eats odors. If you're going to run an ozone generator, don't be in the apartment while it's running, and air it out afterwards.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

mobby_6kl posted:

Are those window vacuums things any good? I mean this type of poo poo:

I have relatively huge windows and am very lazy about washing them, so that happens very infrequently. If they're better in actual use than the sponge on a stick method though, I might give it a try.

I bought one, went to use it once and was just like... 'ahh, gently caress, that was a £15 lesson'. Utter utter poo poo. Absolutely impossible to imagine (the one I bought) possibly ever doing anything worthwhile.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why is my home internet much slower during the day?

Your ISP's infrastructure can't handle the throughput at peak hours when all your neighbors are also awake trying to stream youtube videos / netflix / etc.

At night there are fewer of them online so it stops choking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Your ISP's infrastructure can't handle the throughput at peak hours when all your neighbors are also awake trying to stream youtube videos / netflix / etc.

At night there are fewer of them online so it stops choking.

I'm curious how much covid affected this, honestly. It used to be that connections bogged down in the evenings, when everyone got home from work and suddenly started using their residential connections.

But yeah, everyones' connections are shared on local "pipes", and if your ISP has over-sold those pipes, then everyone gets throttled down because there's only so much bandwidth to go around.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That ozone generator isn't good for you, by the way. Ozone is very reactive and will eat you just as much as it eats odors. If you're going to run an ozone generator, don't be in the apartment while it's running, and air it out afterwards.

Oh yeah I always leave (and take my pet) while it's running and stay away a few hours.

I really dread asking my neighbor if they're being gross. Maybe I'll leave a note and cookies.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Maybe this is more appropriate for the White Whale thread: I'm trying to remember this mechanical arcade game that pops into my head every few years: A two-player mechanical game where you use a double-sided paddle to slap a ball past the other player's paddle, and the paddles can slide back and forth by a handle that you crank to slap the ball. The field is sloped upwards in the center. I swear this was a thing I played at some cheap movie theatre and then again at a bar years later, but I tried to describe it to people I worked with _at an arcade bar and they looked at me like I was crazy. Ring any bells?

Also, are there Muslim bodybuilders who still fast during Ramadan?

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, are there Muslim bodybuilders who still fast during Ramadan?

I think they generally shift to maintenance rather than gains, you can still kinda keep it up without eating while the sun is up. Most Muslims usually just accept that they're gonna lose a bit of muscle during ramadan but professionals can manage it alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

artsy fartsy posted:

Y'all please help me, I'm going nuts. I rent a shithole apartment in a small metal building with 4 units, there's a smell in my living room and it's getting worse. It's definitely some kind of urine, and it's very strong along one wall.

I was sure it was mice, but I got up in the stupid drop ceiling and though there was plenty of evidence of mice I didn't smell it at all up there. (It was also full of leaves, so there is plenty of air flow up there.) The stench seems to be the absolute worst in one corner, near the floor.

So maybe the mice are also in the walls or maybe my wall-sharing neighbors and their three dogs are being gross and the smell is seeping through.

I'm only here a few more months. Is there any way to block this odor?? It's strong enough that two wax warmers don't disguise it any more. If I hung plastic or a heavy blanket up along he wall would that even do anything?

I have an ozone generator, but I don't know how that would get to the source of the problem.

I feel like I'm living in a goddamn men's room.

Sorry for the dumb question but are you sure it's urine? I've had a mouse die under the floorboards and the odor is loving foul for 4 days or so until it decomposes or dries out to a sufficient degree.