Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Sniep posted:

gee i wonder why retailers are sour on their physical media sales right now

This is in the US btw. not even some moon money with bigger numbers.

I bought my barbie Blu-ray at BB a couple months ago for $9.99. With slip.

That UHD slip is damned purdy. Not $44 purdy, but nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Gotta have that bag of skinny pop to counter balance your four for five boxes of milk duds.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's basically double what you'd see online. Right now the Barbie blu ray is $18 on Amazon and the UHD is $22. You can get away with charging a few extra bucks in the name of convenience and instant gratification but people aren't going to pay double.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is that a grocery store? Surely you want discs competitively priced so that shoppers impulse buy them, exactly for a "oh let's watch a movie tonight" situation. The Barbie 4k price is ridiculous as well, I paid less than that for the steelbook.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I bet that price sticker is glued on too.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What’s funny is, of all places, Wal-Mart seems to be the one who’s figured out there’s demand for in store sanely priced movies. They just set up a big section of steelbook movies and the 4K ones still cost like $20 less than that 4K Barbie in that picture

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://x.com/A24/status/1765826412265525286?s=20

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Never seen Pi before. Hmm.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve wanted to see it a few times so I might as well buy that. I don’t have a problem, I can stop buying blu-rays anytime I want

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scored an Oppenheimer steelbook at Walmart today. gently caress off Best Buy

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

dorium posted:

Never seen Pi before. Hmm.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve wanted to see it a few times so I might as well buy that. I don’t have a problem, I can stop buying blu-rays anytime I want

There were a lot of "90's indie first movies" but this might the MOST "90's indie first movie" of them all. I have good memories of it (and I still think it's genuinely really good) but I'm curious to see how it holds up.

Also, remember that this was the movie that introduced the snorricam to most people so, please, don't judge them too harshly. It was so new. We didn't know how naive we were.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah my friends were big into the Pi film and soundtrack (aphex twin) back in high school. I also haven't watched this in decades now, but tempted by that 4K.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I like Pi and don’t own a copy, seems like a no brainer for me!

pwn
May 27, 2004

$96.61 after shipping and tax, discounting S1 and 2 which I already owned, works out to $12.07 a season. A fine use of this month's fun money (well, most of it...)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Just went to Wal-Mart. They have some interesting glow-in-the-dark covers going on, but more importantly my local place had plenty of steelbooks - and I got to pick up a Rocketman BD steel for $9! Hell of a deal.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A great price for Harland Williams’ greatest role.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Just went to Wal-Mart. They have some interesting glow-in-the-dark covers going on, but more importantly my local place had plenty of steelbooks - and I got to pick up a Rocketman BD steel for $9! Hell of a deal.

Oh poo poo I want that. There’s no Walmart near me tho.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Went to Walmart and the Oppenheimer slot was empty. A bit sad but honestly I'll probably watch that movie once, maybe twice, so it's for the best. I did pick up these beautiful DMC editions of Peter Pan and Snow White.

I guess this means I'll be replacing my 2009 Blu-ray of Snow White. I love the original poster art and for $10 each it was a no-brainer. The only other movie in this series they had was Hunchback but I just finally broke down and bought the 2013 release in January. I should be glad the DMC remainder stock was mostly-depleted because I'd be in deep poo poo debt rn otherwise. Would love to have all the Walt Disney classics in this packaging. Pass on the Renaissance era though.

It was a bit melancholic, seeing all those BB steelies, repackaged and stripped of their Best Buy Exclusive branding. It's really over.

If anyone has a Walmart with a cheap Pop Art series Pineapple Express Steelbook...

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 10, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/oldies_dot_com/status/1766569315266940956?s=46
There’s an 88 films sale going on so I snagged In The Line of Duty 1-4 and Magnificent Warriors.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I grabbed the Creepshow steelbook at Walmart. Gonna retire the good old flip case DVD.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

dorium posted:

https://x.com/oldies_dot_com/status/1766569315266940956?s=46
There’s an 88 films sale going on so I snagged In The Line of Duty 1-4 and Magnificent Warriors.

Some recs for those who aren’t familiar with some of these titles:

- Magnificent Warriors is a really fun Michelle Yeoh flick that kinda riffs on Indiana Jones at times. Richard Ng really steals the show though.
- Dragons Forever is an absolute classic from Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen Biao. One of Jackie’s best 80s HK movies.
- Drive is a fantastic 90s action flick that just keeps escalating to an insane degree as the movie goes on. Doesn’t take itself seriously either.
- I’ve only seen the first two In The Line of Duty movies, Yes Madam! and Royal Warriors, but the former is arguably Michelle Yeoh’s best movie and and the latter is almost as good and features a baby-faced Hiroyuki Sanada.
- It’s a little pricey, but the Project A movies are really solid Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen flicks. I’m not as crazy about them as most people, but they’re still objectively impressive in terms of the fight choreography and action sequences.
- Police Story 3: Supercop is also pretty good. Jackie’s doing his usual, but imo Michelle Yeoh is the reason to watch this one.

I already had all of the above, so I grabbed:
Shaolin Mantis
Monkey Kung Fu
Magic Cop
The Inspector Wears Skirts
Long Arm of the Law 1 & 2

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 10, 2024

pwn
May 27, 2004

If you left Walmart disappointed today, fear not! Go look on eBay right now and you will find dozens of the repackaged Oppenheimers at ~$50 a pop. Very cool dudes who bought them just to flip them.

They should eat rocks.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Magic Cop is great. Has all the things I love in Cat III movies and I cannot recommend it enough. You will not be disappointed.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
That 88 film sale is crazy. 14 bucks for a 4k dragons forever is not to be missed!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Finally snagged the previously sold out American Psycho clear plastic slip best buy edition that was going for a hundred dollars on ebay at walmart for 25 bucks right off the shelf. Really happy they took those over because I saw one for Hell Or High Water that I'm probably going to get too.

I'm a whore for those clear plastic slipcover special edition steelbooks - they look so good and I think I have a dozen or so of them now.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

pwn posted:

If you left Walmart disappointed today, fear not! Go look on eBay right now and you will find dozens of the repackaged Oppenheimers at ~$50 a pop. Very cool dudes who bought them just to flip them.

They should eat rocks.

Still better than when they were sitting at $150 when they were BestBuy exclusive. I’m hoping with Walmart just wanting to make money and not rely on FOMO like Bestbuy, maybe movies can be one piece of entertainment that isn’t scalped to hell like everything else since covid?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Magnificent Warriors is a really fun Michelle Yeoh flick that kinda riffs on Indiana Jones at times. Richard Ng really steals the show though.
- Dragons Forever is an absolute classic from Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen Biao. One of Jackie’s best 80s HK movies.
- Drive is a fantastic 90s action flick that just keeps escalating to an insane degree as the movie goes on. Doesn’t take itself seriously either.
- I’ve only seen the first two In The Line of Duty movies, Yes Madam! and Royal Warriors, but the former is arguably Michelle Yeoh’s best movie and and the latter is almost as good and features a baby-faced Hiroyuki Sanada.
- It’s a little pricey, but the Project A movies are really solid Jackie, Sammo, and Yuen flicks. I’m not as crazy about them as most people, but they’re still objectively impressive in terms of the fight choreography and action sequences.
- Police Story 3: Supercop is also pretty good. Jackie’s doing his usual, but imo Michelle Yeoh is the reason to watch this one.

Shaolin Mantis
Monkey Kung Fu
Magic Cop

I decided to pick up Dragons Forever. It just looks like classic Jackie Chan poo poo and a 4k at that price even including shipping is insane.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jackie himself plays kind of an unlikable scumbag lawyer in that one but everything else is so good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Dragons Forever really works because of the whole ensemble, it's probably my favorite Sammo Hung movie. Nothing beats the scene where Jackie is trying to hide him from the girl in the apartment.

That said, you get a Jackie vs. Benny the Jet showdown at the end, so it definitely delivers the Jackie action as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yuen Wah is so good in the final fights too, just continually puffing that cigar no matter what

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i liked Pi back in the day but haven't wanted to revisit it since reading the exceedingly whiny production diary Aronofsky published for some reason

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So question based on what I’ve seen on other parts of the internet but is it worth to get dividers or sleeves for steelbooks? I figured they’d be the ones most resistant to any damage but the way Redditors talk about them you’d think they’re made of glass?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it’s mostly redditors being extra weird about MINT CONDITION. I’ve got a few steelbooks that I’ve tossed into canvas totes for carting between my place and a friend’s without any issue whatsoever (as long as you aren’t slamming them against the ground or swinging the bag into cars or something).

The only releases I’ve put into those plastic slip case box things are either signed by people or limited edition stuff that’s gone out of print, like some of the weird VSA bottom-loading boxes from Vinegar Syndrome.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Does anyone know if places like Target are going to be carrying the Cameron 4ks that come out on Tuesday? I'd rather just stop there than use Amazon .

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So question based on what I’ve seen on other parts of the internet but is it worth to get dividers or sleeves for steelbooks? I figured they’d be the ones most resistant to any damage but the way Redditors talk about them you’d think they’re made of glass?

I haven’t had any issues but I don’t move much and most stuff just chills on the shelf until I dust or watch it. I’m also pushing 40 and while I do want to keep my stuff in great condition, it mostly is and has been since I started collecting. I live in a smoke free home without kids…. Idk something like this just doesn’t seem worth it to me. I do know that VS sells protectors for their slipcovers and even their larger sets, for those so inclined.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I like my sleeves because steels are oddly touchy to scratches, and I like to keep my J-cards, so the sleeves keep everything tidy and bundled together.

I buy mine from these folk, Steelbook Central. I use the SC3 ones. They have a website. I've ordered from both their site and their eBay store and had great experiences. It's been five years and I'm short a couple dozen sleeves, guess it's time to place another order soon...

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I’ve had this steel book dvd of Robocop since 2007. It’s been through several moves and has sat in quite a few boxes for a long time, and it looks almost exactly the same as when I first got it. I have the ultimate versus steel book from 2007 as well and that one looks brand new.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 11, 2024

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
the only piece of physical media I have in a protective anything is my PS1 longbox of Doom, and that's only because the cardboard ones of those are all turning to dust

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008

ultraviolence123 posted:

Does anyone know if places like Target are going to be carrying the Cameron 4ks that come out on Tuesday? I'd rather just stop there than use Amazon .

Not sure about in store, but I pre-ordered Aliens from target online. So they're at least carrying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shaolin Mantis
Monkey Kung Fu
Magic Cop

The listing don't have any region breakdowns for the dvds, are these NTSC compatible?