Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more positive note at the start of chapter 12: red dropping back into his "wizened sage" voice for pirate exposition had me slapping my knee. this kid loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
is the Combat Simulator still available after hitting the point of no return? Charley seems to be able to get anywhere so I'm hoping he's still available.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finished the Gongaga reactor part, and I know nobody on the team is the brightest but why isn't somebody more concerned about 'hey Cloud killed a bunch of dudes and tried to kill Tifa?

Should we keep an eye on him? Nah. He can sit alone in the same room as her with the door shut.

I guess you can say since everyone was separated they didn't see everything go down, but dang Tifa, say something other than 'hey remember when we were kids?' And definitely don't try to date him!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
God drat, Hard Mode isn't loving around this time. It wasn't exactly a cakewalk in Remake either but it was comprehensible. But here it took me an hour to beat Midgardsomr and I was at max level and trying to build for it and barely scraping by with some lucky staggers and a couple level 3 limits. I feel like it's gonna be gruelling.

Reminds me how great the music for that particular fight is though. One of the million billion remixes of Those Who Fight. For some reason I read a lot of Darren Korb energy from it. It's the guitars I think.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Bugenhagen you can gently caress off with your poo poo old maps and vague directions.

First quest I've googled because I just can't be bothered.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The exploration music in cosmic canyon is starting to really grate as well with that drat fiddle wailing away constantly

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Does the HP Absorb materia work at all with the Elemental materia? Just got to the Golden Saucer, so I haven’t been able to test it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Frankston posted:

The exploration music in cosmic canyon is starting to really grate as well with that drat fiddle wailing away constantly

that music rules!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there some trick to this Mindflayer simulation? There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent your party members from attacking the adds. I read somewhere that you can sleep the adds, but my party members still attacked them!

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Is there some trick to this Mindflayer simulation? There doesn't seem to be any way to prevent your party members from attacking the adds. I read somewhere that you can sleep the adds, but my party members still attacked them!

go in solo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Raccoonboy posted:

go in solo

Barrett is pretty good for this since he excels at single target, face-melting DPS.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

From my fight while sleeping didn't take them out of the fight permanently it delayed them just long enough for me to get the Mindflayer down first.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Yup, whoever designed that fight was a loving rear end in a top hat. Here’s how I beat it:

- First of all, set difficulty to Easy
- Cloud, Tifa, whoever as your 3rd
- Enemy skill on Cloud, Whistlewind Scarves on Cloud and Tifa, First strike and Magnify+Sleep+Malboro orb on your 3rd
- Sleep everyone once the fight starts, carefully wake the Mindflayer(a single charged Square from Tifa should be good enough) and lure it away from the others. Cloud uses Sonic boom on it(for the buff) and then just spam Cloud+Tifa’s Charged synergy attack and use Braver/Divekick when you have ATB. If it somehow survives that long you can use a synergy ability too. If the other enemies wake up quickly put them back to sleep with your 3rd

Even with this it still took me quite a few tries because sometimes the Mindflayer doesn’t move the way you want to, or something else bad happens.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 10, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raccoonboy posted:

go in solo

This doesn't seem viable unless I try this much later when I'm way higher level. No one can do enough damage while still avoiding all the attacks, and I think the little things suicide kill you at some point.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

In my experience locking onto the mindflayer seemed to prevent my team members from attacking the adds enough to wake them up. They do still wake up eventually though, and can get caught in the area of big attacks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I brought Cloud and Tifa, you want at least one other party member so the adds don't both focus you, it's a pain in the rear end to avoid Deafening Screech otherwise

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Sockser posted:

Best write-up on the ending I've seen so far:
https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/15561-explaining-analysing-what-happens-in-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-ending

obviously this is ending spoilers

Holy poo poo. I didn't notice all the dogs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Watching a streamer play through Chapter 9 and they have two Magnify materia somehow. I'm in Chapter 12 and I still only have the one the game gives you automatically

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I managed to do it. Basically had to give two people the ATB Boost materia + cast haste on everyone. Very happy that's over with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ytlaya posted:

This doesn't seem viable unless I try this much later when I'm way higher level. No one can do enough damage while still avoiding all the attacks, and I think the little things suicide kill you at some point.

They only suicide if you get stunned by their scream. If you avoid that perfectly they never will. I did it solo with Barret when it first unlocked, but it was definitely annoying.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Frankston posted:

Bugenhagen you can gently caress off with your poo poo old maps and vague directions.

First quest I've googled because I just can't be bothered.

I really like the one map that Cloud decides to hold such that the drawn-on compass' north is pointing like south-east. I also completely forgot to check out how stupid the final map would be because I ran past the corresponding gate like 3 times looking for the previous one so I just warped right to it as soon as I had to go there.

Ytlaya posted:

What I did on my successful run was to open with Cloud using First Strike and Binding+Magnify (probably better on Aerith if you have her increased debuff skill activated) to put everything to sleep. I locked on to the Mindflayer, then cycled to Aerith and Yuffie and had them both attack it. I can't say for sure that that is A Thing to keep the AI focused on what you want it to, but in this case it worked out. The adds woke up on their own only once and I was able to put them right back to sleep and complete the objective.

Re: upgrade systems, I think I like Rebirth's weapon upgrades more than Remake's largely because, as mentioned upthread, you don't need to go through every weapon and grab every node, but I honestly would prefer if the Folios had gone that route. The branching paths approach annoys the hell out of me and I hate being bottlenecked for upgrades of the same party level by poo poo like "Steal grants Faith" or "+3% basic attack damage" or "+3MP." Even if it's not that different, I greatly prefer having all my options per tier being available at once with the only consideration being SP on hand.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m reaching the end of the game and man I dunno if I’m down for, you know…that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

turn it to easy and go in solo with barret. that match doesn't deserve fair play

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sleep helps a whole lot with that fight. Feels like those sim fights are designed to make use of the status effect materia that no one uses.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You go so long without Sleep in this game (though I probably just missed a materia in Corel or something) that I really appreciate that fight for reminding me how good a tool it is.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I did it solo with Yuffie. She moves and dodges quickly without interrupting her ninjutsu spamming much, and if you do get hit by a stun you can use Blindside to break out of it.
I tried with Barret but his slow dodging felt too annoying with how often you have to do it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished the queen's blood sidequest. i expected the final match to be a horror based on what i read here but i cleared it in three tries without even changing my deck

it helped that my deck was empowerment-based, so the emerald witch's gimmick slotted into it perfectly. i just had to take the middle like usual, lay down the witch to sabotage the enervation squares, and get dio/ifrit/choco-mog on the board. won by 15 points

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

turn it to easy and go in solo with barret. that match doesn't deserve fair play

I ended up winning, with the key being "equipping a bunch of stuff that let me rapidly build ATB early on" (plus a healthy helping of luck). First Strike, ATB Boost, and Magnified Haste. I was then able to do sufficient damage with Cloud/Tifa's synergy ability + just spamming a bunch of high-damage stuff with them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Man. This game has bad checkpoint system.

I did a too high level side quest and died.
No point in retrying, but you can roll back to a previous checkpoint.
"No worries, you aren't going to lose any exp."

Except it literally threw me back to ch2 chocobo-farm.
I've explored the whole game area and done all the exploration things after reaching this checkpoint and dying to a sidequest character.
All that progress just disappeared. WTF!

I mean. I had manually saved like half dozen times between those two points in time, so I lost like 2 card game matches worth of progression by reloading a save.
Still, what year is this Square-Enix? 1995?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

"Eat a dick, lactic acid!" is gonna have to be a phrase I adopt for my gym routine. Or just everyday life.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was gonna rush the story today but I got sidetracked with queens blood again and then I just decided to do area cleanup anyway, so now I’m all done aside from the final map.

I did lose half an hour of progress to a soft lock though, I finished a quest battle and was apparently too close to my chocobo because I hopped on it and the game just sat there with only the pause button working instead of playing the cutscene for that quest’s completion. Had to quit out of the game and reload then do it all again :negative:

Oxxidation posted:

finished the queen's blood sidequest. i expected the final match to be a horror based on what i read here but i cleared it in three tries without even changing my deck

it helped that my deck was empowerment-based, so the emerald witch's gimmick slotted into it perfectly. i just had to take the middle like usual, lay down the witch to sabotage the enervation squares, and get dio/ifrit/choco-mog on the board. won by 15 points

I ended up building a deck that smushed my rush for the other side of the board cards with a bunch of cards that powered up based on enfeebled cards in the field, including the gi natak card from the Costa del Sol card puzzles game. Re-rolled my starting hand until I had the right 3 cards for the back line and then just played my usual game, squeezed out a win after a couple of attempts by just pushing forward as hard as possible then dropping gi on the middle of my back line card to add the total power to the top and bottom rows.

It was way, way tougher than every other match in the game that I won with the deck I built entirely with cards from Corel and earlier.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The game kindly autosaves every time you fast travel or do a world intel location. I don't understand why it doesn't also autosave as you do minigames and sidequests though. I lost 2 hours of chocobo racing because the game crashed after I finished the Gold Cup.
Then the "restart from checkpoint" option is a complete trap because your last main story progression will often have been hours and hours before the other options.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Gruckles posted:

Then the "restart from checkpoint" option is a complete trap because your last main story progression will often have been hours and hours before the other options.

Yeah. In a normal game, it would be just before any major boss encounter and after every quest/traveling

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I don’t know who this pilot is but it’s not cid highwind. doesn’t matter whether it’s dated or not, bring pathologically abrasive is the center of his character. this aw shucks gee whiz thank you kindly stuff is weak

It really isn't is the thing. Most of that is a combo of his introduction + the translation adding more of that in.

Rebirth changed the intro and skews closer to the Japanese basically so it seems like more of a change than it is

The dude in the rest of FF7 is the dude who gets hype and says it is a man's job to save the world. It is just his intro is *way* coloring how you view the character

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 11, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Issaries posted:

Man. This game has bad checkpoint system.

I did a too high level side quest and died.
No point in retrying, but you can roll back to a previous checkpoint.
"No worries, you aren't going to lose any exp."

Except it literally threw me back to ch2 chocobo-farm.
I've explored the whole game area and done all the exploration things after reaching this checkpoint and dying to a sidequest character.
All that progress just disappeared. WTF!

I mean. I had manually saved like half dozen times between those two points in time, so I lost like 2 card game matches worth of progression by reloading a save.
Still, what year is this Square-Enix? 1995?

Not sure why the checkpoints are an option, it has much more frequent regular autosaves which are completely different. Anyway hitting retry always puts you before fight actually starts so it's always the best option.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Got to chapter 12 thinking I'd finished most of the minigames/sidequests and I was in the home stretch, with just the corel protorelic stuff to go. Guess I was horrifically wrong.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How do I traverse Cosmo Canyon? I did the gliding minigame and quest but cannot get my chocobo to glide at the ramps

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really did not expect the final protorelic quest to end the way it did.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The small ramps launch, the big ramps are landing zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How do I traverse Cosmo Canyon? I did the gliding minigame and quest but cannot get my chocobo to glide at the ramps

Run off the end and make sure you keep R2 held down

You can’t run off the roped off ramps from the minigame, only the ones in the world with the yellow highlight thing on the end.