Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Did Stalin relocate the Baltic people to fat east? He should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I think there was one of those autonomous Oblasts, like the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, but the Baltic states were evacuated fairly quickly in June 1941, and after liberation in 1944-45, the Soviets actually had a pretty light touch. If I recall NATO intelligence was always infiltrating people across the Baltic from "neutral" Finland and Sweden, so maybe more diligent internal security would have been a good thing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the fat east and the skinny west

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
it used to be the fat west but then stalin ate all the grain and it became the fat east

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I think there was one of those autonomous Oblasts, like the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, but the Baltic states were evacuated fairly quickly in June 1941, and after liberation in 1944-45, the Soviets actually had a pretty light touch. If I recall NATO intelligence was always infiltrating people across the Baltic from "neutral" Finland and Sweden, so maybe more diligent internal security would have been a good thing.

i read a book about US/norwegian bilateral intelligence relations recently-ish and there are several documented instances of NATO cross-border operations (sometimes involving finland) killing soviet soldiers on soviet soil. the level of provocation was pretty extreme

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fanfic insert posted:

it used to be the fat west but then stalin ate all the grain and it became the fat east

carbs'll get ya like that

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This is the same problem as Ukraine where all of the Cold War writers in exile, and the Applebaums and Snyders since 1991 give the impression that the people's loyalties lay with the SS and einsatzgruppen patriotic militias, but certainly many of them did fight fascism. I believe the Estonians were also the rescuers of their Jews, though as has been mentioned, it's because they fled to Leningrad.

I keep saying this but someone should write a history of the co-belligerent forces in Italy, Bulgaria, and Romania. I think maybe some Hungarians fought against the Germans in the last weeks of the war. Finland, I feel like a lot of their so-called resistance is post-war propaganda but I genuinely know next to nothing.

ee: and the degree to which these states saved their Jews, deported Jews in occupied territory, and then collaborated with the Germans after pro-German coups to deport their Jews is also probably worth study. There's a lot of post war rear end covering there too.

There's a difference compared to Ukraine which is that the Baltics got forcibly integrated in the USSR a year before the Germans started rolling around, so there was less ideological opposition from the get go.

However they were so loving awful that it soon starting springing up. There's also the fact that the Soviets tried to evacuate a lot of industry and people from the Baltics as well, a couple of Dunkirks happens out there except a lot were loaded only with civilians. Well, not the first time that never stopped anybody.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/EgorKotkin/status/1738887585106157968

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hopefully this war will end with Ukrainian sovereignty in tact over all its legal borders, and safe from Russias unprovoked attack

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zegermans at it again.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Zegermans at it again.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zerg Mans posted:

Hopefully this war will end with Ukrainian sovereignty in tact over all its legal borders, and safe from Russias unprovoked attack

Agreed; Ukraine should receive full sovereignty over the entirety of its territory before Russia started interfering in its borders. Something like this -

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Hits too close to home. You have to move heaven and hell for a fellowship that pays like $5000 / mo with $250 / mo for books.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Hits too close to home. You have to move heaven and hell for a fellowship that pays like $5000 / mo with $250 / mo for books.

They let you have a whole book from a university press without expecting you to take up prostitution? That's weirdly generous, maybe if only from a list of authors chosen by the High Elders of the Ford-Shnapps Institute for Race Science.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

Agreed; Ukraine should receive full sovereignty over the entirety of its territory before Russia started interfering in its borders. Something like this -

I agree, everything in the picture

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Wondering what the Pope thinks a Russian victory would look like? Just Putin giving a speech and changing flags on government buildings, or has he actually put in some effort to see that an actual genocide is on the table?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

i also agree with the picture of the map

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I felt this

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mags posted:

Wondering what the Pope thinks a Russian victory would look like? Just Putin giving a speech and changing flags on government buildings, or has he actually put in some effort to see that an actual genocide is on the table?

Zelensky is currently doing his best to ensure a genocide by feeding soldiers into a wood chipper for a war they can't win, so Putin winning would be a strong anti-genocide move

Zerg Mans posted:

Ukraine should lose sovereignty over all the areas disenfranchised by the 2014 coup

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zerg Mans posted:

is not sovereign Ukranian territory, other than the orange bit, correct

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: One of the Baltic states contributed greatly to the Red Army and fought in the campaigns of 1945, I think it was Estonia?
it's true, the propaganda could reach them

Weka posted:

There's plenty of things you can criticize Estonia over but they had a literacy rate of 90% by the twenties, pretty remarkable really given they had a 75% rural population of mostly peasant farmers.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

FF alt detected

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zegermans the orc slayer

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The pope must be on tiktok because it sounds like russian propaganda has got to him too :/

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

Putin: "If you're not my friend anymore you don't get to play with my stuff anymore either."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mycomancy posted:

FF alt detected

tahts not an alt its a main

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

lobster shirt posted:

there were barely any jews in estonia because it was outside the pale of settlement, unlike latvia and lithiania

I think it is the other way around. It was outside the pale because there were barely any Jews there. The pale was created in response to Russian westward expansion meaning there were suddenly a bunch more Jews inside of its territory. The populous, northern coastal parts of modern Estonia were never really part of Lithuania or the PLC, which had a history of Jewish settlement over a millenia long.

Livonia, a province of the PLC, is coloured dark grey, over modern Estonia and Latvia. Swedish Estonia is coloured green.

SIGSEGV posted:

I was speaking of the population available in place, when the Germans declare a place judenrein, and they did, they don't have the stats regarding how many got railed to safety by the USSR, they just go by what they can find on site.

I understand the Germans kept pretty good records, so you can just subtract their figures from the prewar Jewish population. In this case the reports of Franz Stahlecker, commander of Einsatzgruppe A (amongst other formations), which detail the number of Jews they killed, a few dozen less than 1000, which aligns with all the contemporary estimates I have seen.

mila kunis posted:

Yeah they just brought in tens of thousands of jews from other countries to multiple concentration camps in Estonia, weird that there was no shortage of collaborators to murder them. what's with the balt simping, are you one

No webbed toes here, a feature of primarily Finnic (not Balt!) peoples such as Estonians. I just think it is important to make accurate criticisms and as far as I am aware the Estonian national movement in the 19th century was pretty progressive and humanist in character.
As far as Estonian collaboration goes, it is true they were a European nation occupied by the Germans. Singling them out beyond their possession of the natural dog like nature of Europe's inhabitants seems to lack a basis in material facts. Pretty sure there was a lower rate of direct collaboration like serving in military or police formations than that of Russians.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mycomancy posted:

FF alt detected

posting ex cathedra

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

sleep with the vicious posted:

The pope must be on tiktok because it sounds like russian propaganda has got to him too :/

Maybe they post in this thread

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Weka posted:

Maybe they post in this thread

going to probe you for doxxing the pope

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Zerg Mans posted:

Kremlin bot detected, the Kyian empire once reigned over its rightful territory from Kazan to Lisbon before tsar Stalutlin the IV took it all away, God willing the 2025 counteroffensive will reclaim all lost Ukrainian territory

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

Zelensky is currently doing his best to ensure a genocide by feeding soldiers into a wood chipper for a war they can't win, so Putin winning would be a strong anti-genocide move

Ukraine should lose sovereignty over all the areas disenfranchised by the 2014 coup

That was a peaceful transition of power towards democracy

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Also Russia shot down MH17

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Zerg Mans posted:

That was a peaceful transition of power towards democracy

peacefully shooting people on both your own and the opposing sides to ensure a deal that keeps the democratically elected government in place does not happen, to promote democracy

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Incredibly low bar, but if even wikipedia is saying a country did poorly, it's fair to say they probably participated with some level of enthusiasm.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wow...