Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Give us nuke rodeo

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

:madmax:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I've been watching some streams, and it seems at higher difficulties, people are just running around nonstop and whilst it seems like an adrenaline rush, it made me wonder if tactics are actually useful in this game, or are you forced to constantly move and reposition just to avoid getting zerg rushed? The thought of being able to hold a chokepoint or hill with 3 of my buddies is cool as hell, but tbh most of my games devolve into running around and desperately trying not to get overrun.

Do I unlock more powerful weapons at higher acquisition (or is it requisition?) levels, because I seem to be stuck at challenging level and if I bump up to the next tier of difficulty, I just get curbstomped. So it made me wonder if more powerful / tougher armour is available to be unlocked along with more powerful weaponry. Or do you just become more experienced at killing things efficiently with time, rather than needing stronger weapons?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Qubee posted:

So I've been watching some streams, and it seems at higher difficulties, people are just running around nonstop and whilst it seems like an adrenaline rush, it made me wonder if tactics are actually useful in this game, or are you forced to constantly move and reposition just to avoid getting zerg rushed? The thought of being able to hold a chokepoint or hill with 3 of my buddies is cool as hell, but tbh most of my games devolve into running around and desperately trying not to get overrun.

Do I unlock more powerful weapons at higher acquisition (or is it requisition?) levels, because I seem to be stuck at challenging level and if I bump up to the next tier of difficulty, I just get curbstomped. So it made me wonder if more powerful / tougher armour is available to be unlocked along with more powerful weaponry. Or do you just become more experienced at killing things efficiently with time, rather than needing stronger weapons?

It is very rare on any difficulty to need to kill everything coming at you until Extraction.

There's just too many enemies and they will never stop.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its great as is, but how would "GOON DIVERS" look?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Seedge posted:

It is very rare on any difficulty to need to kill everything coming at you until Extraction.

There's just too many enemies and they will never stop.

Oh poo poo, that makes so much sense. So really, you're more just point of the spear trying to charge through to objectives, get it done, and then pull back out to extraction point where you hold against the waves? Me and the other rookies have been continuously trying to clear the waves coming at us and you're right, it seems unending. We kept thinking we'd eventually clear the area.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i dont think there needs to be 5 stratagems

Vooze
Oct 29, 2011

Qubee posted:

Oh poo poo, that makes so much sense. So really, you're more just point of the spear trying to charge through to objectives, get it done, and then pull back out to extraction point where you hold against the waves? Me and the other rookies have been continuously trying to clear the waves coming at us and you're right, it seems unending. We kept thinking we'd eventually clear the area.

Higher difficulties are a rolling gunfight. You can't clear the map of enemies.

There's still a lot of tactical gameplay but it's more of the "overlapping fields of fire and a push through lines" type than it is the "okay we have a breather where do we go now?" type

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oh yes

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

:vince:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Absolutely nailed it.
Alright, let me get this uploaded and I’ll do a post once stuff is set up for people to quote to get one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

best tag i've seen yet

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Weird question, but how much of what I'm seeing from the bridge of my destroyer (and by extension I suppose the fringes of the battlefield) is smoke and mirrors?

For the first time, I saw a destroyer explode in orbit and I found out later that this is what happens when the timer runs out on a mission (hence why no more strategems).

Am I seeing other player's destroyers in pseudo real time?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The unreliable mech melee thing especially sucks because it loving HURTS. It does serious damage vs Chargers etc

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Snuffman posted:

Weird question, but how much of what I'm seeing from the bridge of my destroyer (and by extension I suppose the fringes of the battlefield) is smoke and mirrors?

For the first time, I saw a destroyer explode in orbit and I found out later that this is what happens when the timer runs out on a mission (hence why no more strategems).

My guess is that it's almost entirely smoke and mirrors, except for maybe some sort of signal for how many players are on a given planet at any time and how well the overall effort is going. This is based on how, when they took all of the tracking for things like bullets fired down in order to save on server load, the ships were all still there.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
9/9 Helldives

Snuffman posted:

I'm pretty sure everything's fake except for the ships that show up specifically corresponding to your fellow squadmates, which hang out in orbit and in-mission do rain down their orbitals as appropriate.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Yes please.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Qubee posted:

Related to this post I was wondering, what impact does destroying bases/nests across the map have? Does it literally just give resources at the end, or will it reduce the amount of patrolls and/or reduce the number of waves sent at objectives?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When the servers pooped out people said all that destroyer stuff you could see disappeared completely.

Think of it like darksouls phantoms and bloodstains.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Gotta love how the nerfed breaker can still kill a charger leg in one mag while the buffed spray and pray needs at least 1.5 mags.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

:hellyeah:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Mainwaring posted:

Related to this post I was wondering, what impact does destroying bases/nests across the map have? Does it literally just give resources at the end, or will it reduce the amount of patrolls and/or reduce the number of waves sent at objectives?

Outposts and secondary objectives are great sources of samples in addition to the XP/requisition you get out of them. If destroying outposts has a gameplay effect, I haven't noticed it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Janissary Hop posted:

Gotta love how the nerfed breaker can still kill a charger leg in one mag while the buffed spray and pray needs at least 1.5 mags.

isnt the spray and pray designed for varmint basically

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GIVE IT TO ME NOW

..FOR LIBERTY!

:swoon:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Worf posted:

isnt the spray and pray designed for varmint basically

Yea it's literally bird-shot

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Recoilless Rifle vs the one shot disposable rocket launcher? I'm veering towards the latter unless I can find another player willing to speed load for me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After playing on Dif 6 for the last days, I played a operation at Dif 7 today. And it was curious because I felt as I had an easier time on 7. Despite being a pub match, and I guess because everyone understand at this level it's suicide to go alone, all players sticked together in a way that I don't see in dif 6 even with no comms, that totally changed the game. Of course it also helped that there were notably more skilled players in 7 than in 6, from average 18s to average 30s. And we didn't rush anything, despite the higher difficulties being famous for having to play like that, we held our ground together and just deleted the swarms of bugs that appeared with concentrated stratagems and staggered use of mechs. The three 40 minutes missions were done each with just 5 minutes remaining.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i think against bots two people with recoilless rifles who can bonk hulks and tanks and then team up to buddy load (since they both have backpacks anyway) when a bot drop gets called at a particularly bad time to actually down the whole flight of dropships seems like a good strategy if you've got a coordinated group

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
neat video came up on my feed for a milsim kinda guy, apparently the CEO and someone else from his team played a few diff 6 with the camera rolling and dropped a few gold bits, namely stealth: enemy units can hear, see, and smell

i didnt know that call ins of any type attract attention (after your first), it really makes me consider all the cascade fails might be from call in after call in

super interesting stuff, i really wish they talked about how they do pathfinding, because im still seeing tons of chargers slip and slide themselves on to the tops of hills where they become stuck...so odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJs_kqHrzzQ&t=993s

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2024

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I very much like this

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i just got done watching that myself and yeah there's some fun tidbits in there

also they get absolutely stomped on a difficulty 6 lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Playing with Goons - "Is this what a buttplug looks like?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Arc Hammer posted:

Recoilless Rifle vs the one shot disposable rocket launcher? I'm veering towards the latter unless I can find another player willing to speed load for me.

I would still probably be using the disposable more if later difficulty debuffs and mission structures did not gently caress with it so bad. Can't panic dial a new rocket launcher fast when the game triple dips into long cooldown, randomizer, and ECM towers :argh:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

After playing on Dif 6 for the last days, I played a operation at Dif 7 today. And it was curious because I felt as I had an easier time on 7. Despite being a pub match, and I guess because everyone understand at this level it's suicide to go alone, all players sticked together in a way that I don't see in dif 6 even with no comms, that totally changed the game. Of course it also helped that there were notably more skilled players in 7 than in 6, from average 18s to average 30s. And we didn't rush anything, despite the higher difficulties being famous for having to play like that, we held our ground together and just deleted the swarms of bugs that appeared with concentrated stratagems and staggered use of mechs. The three 40 minutes missions were done each with just 5 minutes remaining.

it was the same thing in mass effect 3 MP, higher difficulties tended to go smoother than mid because people didnt respect / know how to play the mid level oens

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
LOL automaton extermination missions are loving rough now but a ton of fun.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Remember that difficulty 7 is the lowest level where you can get purple samples. This means the population of players who are experienced with 7+ missions will often run at 7 when pugging.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

I discovered the Redeemer pistol is quite good at mag dumping into chargers legs.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Amazing Member posted:

neat video came up on my feed for a milsim kinda guy, apparently the CEO and someone else from his team played a few diff 6 with the camera rolling and dropped a few gold bits, namely stealth: enemy units can hear, see, and smell

i didnt know that call ins of any type attract attention (after your first), it really makes me consider all the cascade fails might be from call in after call in

super interesting stuff, i really wish they talked about how they do pathfinding, because im still seeing tons of chargers slip and slid themselves on to the tops of hills where they become stuck...so odd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJs_kqHrzzQ&t=993s
Only moderately related to this, but...

Apparently some of the names of the Arrowhead staff (including the CEO) are in the pool for your officers.