Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jimbozig posted:

(Also, I should note that those of us who were aware of politics in 2000 saw what happens when a state that is crucial for electoral victory is actually decided by a small number of votes: they rig it. So the theoretical 1 in 10 million goes down even closer to zero. This is why it's important to have control over local and state governments: when it comes time for the rigging, you want your guys doing it.)

If this were the case then Georgia would have gone for Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think we're stuck in a round-and-round argument that begins with 'Biden - is he old?' and ends with 'Biden must be the best option, because the alternative is worse, therefore we cannot accept the right wing framing' and I think it's an argument divorced from nuance.

We can start by hopefully agreeing that Biden is an older candidate than most people would prefer. I'm hoping even people who nominally support Biden can agree that all things being equal, a younger person with the same tent poles would probably be a stronger candidate.

So the important question then is, "To what degree does Biden's age impact his ability to govern?" and the related question, "To what extent does Biden's age impact his appeal as a candidate?" The first question is one nobody seems able to agree on. Is Biden suffering no ill effects from age, trivial ill effects from age, moderate to severe verbal but not cognitive impacts, etc. And this leads to the final question which is, "To what extent do we have luxury to be concerned about Biden's age in light of the electoral reality of United States?"

It is not 'giving into the right wing framing' to have this conversation. The right wants Biden's age to become such a wedge issue that undecided voters - who I am assured, apparently, exist - will lean away from him, even though Trump's age and cognitive abilities are clearly the same or worse than Biden's in every regard. It is a valid conversation to have because it is important when we think about other politicians and their age and how we vote in the future; it is valid because the people around Biden need to understand that propping up a candidate far past retirement is not acceptable; and it is important because we cannot simply choose to deny reality because the right has staked a claim on a particularly unpleasant point. The reality is the right will capitalize on any perceived weakness and exaggerate it and if they can't find one, they will invent one; but that doesn't mean everything they pick apart is imagined, it just means that their story around it sometimes might be.

I'm reminded of Bill Clinton. During his long scandal one of the things a lot of people on the Dem side did was claim this was a political hit job, that Clinton did nothing wrong and if he did it was nobody's business. Nowadays it's pretty much accepted that Bill was a sexpest and while the right absolutely did not care about the woman they affected with his hearing and impeachment he also was a sexpest and denying that he was didn't actually help anybody.

I realize that in a world of clickbait and top ten reasons not to vote for Biden lists, it's hard to afford to have a nuanced conversation about the effects of age. Because the perceived result is a growing public discontent around a silly wedge issue. Because if the right says, "Biden - OLD!" it's tempting to shout back, "No - Biden NOT OLD." The reality is an educated society should be capable of agreeing Biden is probably too old for office but also vote for him anyway. That's what I'm doing, that is essentially where I live.

Biden's stance on Palestine and people protesting him on that grounds is a whole other kettle of fish I'm not going to get into because I think there's something more legitimate and even more nuanced there to discuss, but "don't talk about Biden being old because that's a right wing invention" is silly. The man is old. His speech patterns have changed. If that matters or not is up to you. You can't break down the right wing hit pieces by simply denying reality. It won't stop me from voting for him. I'd vote for Biden if his opposition was a young and vibrant fascist. I'd vote for a dead man instead of Trump. I would vote for a pot of luke-warm stew. But it makes you look ridiculous if you try to claim he's just as young and punchy as he's ever been because that's just in complete opposition to our eyes and ears.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 10, 2024

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mendrian posted:

But it makes you look ridiculous if you try to claim he's just as young and punchy as he's ever been because that's just in complete opposition to our eyes and ears.

I don’t believe anyone on this thread is making this point as you have stated it. The rebuttal to “Biden old” here has generally been “Trump is in the same neighborhood of old, and is in as much or more decline as Biden, therefore ‘Biden old’ is, in THIS presidential election, not a particularly good reason to sit it out or vote for Trump given that Trump is in fact the alternative.”

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If this were the case then Georgia would have gone for Trump.

Florida in 2000 is a great example both of of how votes matter even where meddling is involved and that it's not about being the sole decisive vote. None of the Republican playbook would have been applicable if the raw vote count hadn't been both within the margin of error and favoring their guy.

But the bit about how focusing on state/local elections is important in part for deciding who is going to oversee the federal ones? That's spot on. And if you really really need the Kevin Costner fantasy to get you to vote, it's not long ago that control of the VA legislature was decided by a literal coin flip because of a tied seat in a tied house. If you follow VA laws as party control of the state switches, the difference is pretty stark too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Voting is one of those things where people think "my individual vote doesn't matter because everyone else will vote for the people I support" when there becomes a cutoff point where enough people think that you get swarmed by right wingers who are more motivated to vote. To get good or even okish policies in place in government and requires millions of voters each one being a single individual who has to make the choice to actually vote.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

socialsecurity posted:

Voting is one of those things where people think "my individual vote doesn't matter because everyone else will vote for the people I support" when there becomes a cutoff point where enough people think that you get swarmed by right wingers who are more motivated to vote. To get good or even okish policies in place in government and requires millions of voters each one being a single individual who has to make the choice to actually vote.

Here’s how it is: you can do your best to make the country work (by voting), or you can strike a pose of superior rightousness on the internet. The choice is yours.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
So, this seems like maybe a silly question, but is there any general thread consensus on who Trump's VP pick will be? Its hard to remember since it was at least 15 years ago, but Trump played up his VP selection and made an announcement like it was a big reveal in 2016. In reading through the wiki it seems like a lot of 'good' VP picks refused to be a part of the Trump campaign at all, like John Kasich and Bob Porter. As much as I believe that Nikki Haley's entire weird vanity run was an attempt to get in Trump's good graces I dont think she has a chance and will vanish the second Trump comes up with a mean nickname for her.

Given that Trump can't help but poo poo on anyone who enters his field of vision combined with his full blown cult of personality approach, I feel like it could be some other random celebrity or relative of his as much as $Politician. I'm sure there are lots of toadies who WANT to be his VP.

Is there even a requirement of when they be announced? I would expect historic precedent is you announced your VP pick based on the strategic need of your specific campaign. Trump being Trump I could see him just ignoring the idea of a VP entirely until forced to at the last minute - if there is such a thing

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jimbozig posted:

If two events have probabilities within 0.00001% of each other, it's more than fair to say that they are equally likely. You can try to move the goalposts to "proportionately likely" but that wasn't my claim.

And yes, in the best case scenario, it's like buying a lottery ticket. And if that's your reason for voting, that's fine. But it makes any kind of vote-shaming look really stupid. "You didn't want to wait in line for an hour to buy a lottery ticket?! How dare you!"

Furthermore, it is relevant to anyone whose reasons for voting might be a mix of practical and idealistic. If you think it's your civic duty to vote for your preferred candidate, and your preferred candidate is a 3rd party candidate, or if you have a feeling of moral compulsion not to vote for a candidate who is doing things you abhor, you might nevertheless decide to compromise your principles if you see a pragmatic reason to do so. When the pragmatic argument is talking about absolute best-case theoretical scenario probabilities of 1 in 10 million, you would have to hold your principles very lightly indeed to be swayed by that.

Please keep more in-depth discussions of political strategy in an electoral context in this thread that specializes in it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

US Foreign Policy posted:

So, this seems like maybe a silly question, but is there any general thread consensus on who Trump's VP pick will be? Its hard to remember since it was at least 15 years ago, but Trump played up his VP selection and made an announcement like it was a big reveal in 2016. In reading through the wiki it seems like a lot of 'good' VP picks refused to be a part of the Trump campaign at all, like John Kasich and Bob Porter. As much as I believe that Nikki Haley's entire weird vanity run was an attempt to get in Trump's good graces I dont think she has a chance and will vanish the second Trump comes up with a mean nickname for her.

Given that Trump can't help but poo poo on anyone who enters his field of vision combined with his full blown cult of personality approach, I feel like it could be some other random celebrity or relative of his as much as $Politician. I'm sure there are lots of toadies who WANT to be his VP.

Is there even a requirement of when they be announced? I would expect historic precedent is you announced your VP pick based on the strategic need of your specific campaign. Trump being Trump I could see him just ignoring the idea of a VP entirely until forced to at the last minute - if there is such a thing

There was an article floating around the conservative sphere today that the field consists of three candidates: Britt, Vance, and DeSantis. However, it seemed to be poorly sourced wishcasting from a rando right wing journalist, so I'm not sure it's very credible. Of the three Vance hasn't so directly immolated or humiliated himself and seems to cut most directly into successful wedge issue lines; that's not exactly high praise though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

yeah i suspect he'll choose either Ivanka or someone else with unquestioned personal loyalty to him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

After Mike Pence refused to help him do a coup, I think he'll want someone who he thinks will do whatever he wants, so probably a woman (since he would feel more threatened by a man). Kari Lake or Kristi Noem are my most likely guesses. He's not going to pick anyone who isn't 100% MAGA, and I really don't expect him to pick anyone who has national pull at all who he thinks might stand up to him, so zero chance it's anyone who also ran for president this cycle

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

He's going to choose himself as his VP so if he gets impeached he'll just take right back over as president again. It's foolproof.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bagrada posted:

He's going to choose himself as his VP so if he gets impeached he'll just take right back over as president again. It's foolproof.

His VP will be him talking with his butt like Ace Ventura.

Is there anything stopping him from delaying the announcement until, like, September?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He’s going to fail to choose a VP and the electoral college gives it to Kamala Harris

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

His VP will be him talking with his butt like Ace Ventura.

Is there anything stopping him from delaying the announcement until, like, September?

Not particularly, but around the convention is typical. Trump announced Pence in July 2016. Biden announced Harris in August 2020. It's possible he picks someone before that but not likely to be by much.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Killer robot posted:

Not particularly, but around the convention is typical. Trump announced Pence in July 2016. Biden announced Harris in August 2020. It's possible he picks someone before that but not likely to be by much.

Not just typical. Almost all modern VP picks are either before the convention or shortly after. Which, you know, makes sense, you want your ticket defined around the time you have a presidential nominee.

haveblue posted:

He’s going to fail to choose a VP and the electoral college gives it to Kamala Harris

technically it could be donald trump at that point

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Piell posted:

After Mike Pence refused to help him do a coup, I think he'll want someone who he thinks will do whatever he wants, so probably a woman (since he would feel more threatened by a man). Kari Lake or Kristi Noem are my most likely guesses. He's not going to pick anyone who isn't 100% MAGA, and I really don't expect him to pick anyone who has national pull at all who he thinks might stand up to him, so zero chance it's anyone who also ran for president this cycle

I feel like this is where my brain hits an endless logic loop. I feel it's entirely safe to say that Trump doesn't like women. He sees himself as inherently superior, and as such never misses a chance to dunk on a woman for any and all petty reasons (She's not even my type anyway!) and would therefore never, ever actually cooperate with a woman. Much less pretend she is somehow his equal or able to succeed him other than maybe indeed Ivanka. I refuse to entertain the idea that Ivanka could be a real pick but loving why not

At the same time, everything else you said is 100% correct about why it really can't be a man. Tim Scott is as much of a toadie as he can be only to be publicly mocked by Trump. Anyone who wields actual power will be perceived as a threat while I dont think Trump has the political savvy to neuter someone by making them VP. It will have to be someone he can treat as a kicked dog, and abuse in public. In that regard, it could be a DeSantis, so long as they accepted the abuse with a smile?

Or its loving Ivanka I hate this timeline

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Trump is willing to have female subordinates in his admin as long as they follow the most important two tenets:

- Be pretty
- Follow his every fog-addled command

Allow me to make this worse. Trump / Ivanka ticket wins, he dies the first week in office.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Scags McDouglas posted:

Trump is willing to have female subordinates in his admin as long as they follow the most important two tenets:

- Be pretty

Allow me to make this worse. Trump / Ivanka ticket wins, he dies the first week in office.

That would be a dramatic improvement. We'd get a bunch of weird fashion statements out of the white house like melanias weird Christmas metal trees but she'd probably just check out and not do much.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

That would be a dramatic improvement. We'd get a bunch of weird fashion statements out of the white house like melanias weird Christmas metal trees but she'd probably just check out and not do much.

Yeah you're right I had a second to think about it and there's a serious possibility of that not being worse. 4 straight years of the most confused, overwhelmed and actionless president in our proud nation's history.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

My money is on Tim Scott. No personality, complete sponge, will never outshine the big wet president, person of color he can prop up for his racism.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit

Scags McDouglas posted:

- Be pretty

A shadow Kushner presidency is, in this hellscape, optimistic.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I think we'd be all holding our breaths to find out who manages to scramble first in line to convince her to cede total decisionmaking, and that could go a few ways

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Haley wouldn't do it. She's extremely well-positioned for 2028, and part of maintaining that position is keeping a certain distance from Trump. I assume she'll angle for a position in his new administration, ideally something like her position in his previous administration which gave her a degree of independence and kept her out out of Washington. But putting her name on the bumper sticker now ties her to every part of Trump's administration in a way that can only hurt her.

I feel like this is where my brain hits an endless logic loop. I feel it's entirely safe to say that Trump doesn't like women. He sees himself as inherently superior, and as such never misses a chance to dunk on a woman for any and all petty reasons (She's not even my type anyway!) and would therefore never, ever actually cooperate with a woman. Much less pretend she is somehow his equal or able to succeed him other than maybe indeed Ivanka. I refuse to entertain the idea that Ivanka could be a real pick but loving why not

At the same time, everything else you said is 100% correct about why it really can't be a man. Tim Scott is as much of a toadie as he can be only to be publicly mocked by Trump. Anyone who wields actual power will be perceived as a threat while I dont think Trump has the political savvy to neuter someone by making them VP. It will have to be someone he can treat as a kicked dog, and abuse in public. In that regard, it could be a DeSantis, so long as they accepted the abuse with a smile?

Trump was known for hiring women for high positions in the Trump corporation. Trump is a misogynist, but he's not that kind of misogynist.

And his previous VP pick was a man. A man who was not in the "Trump wing" of the party, even.

I strongly doubt it'll be Ivanka. I'd bet it's going to a mainstream Republican. Y'all are right that he's going to want someone more loyal than Pence was, but, good news! Most mainstream Republicans are loyal to Trump now! He's got a lot of options.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Scags McDouglas posted:

I think we'd be all holding our breaths to find out who manages to scramble first in line to convince her to cede total decisionmaking, and that could go a few ways

Why are we assuming this about Ivanka?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah you're right I had a second to think about it and there's a serious possibility of that not being worse. 4 straight years of the most confused, overwhelmed and actionless president in our proud nation's history.

We already had that president in Donald.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It will have to be someone he can treat as a kicked dog, and abuse in public. In that regard, it could be a DeSantis, so long as they accepted the abuse with a smile?

Can't be DeSantis or Ivanka since they both reside in FL, which Trump is also a resident of. Prez/VP have to be from different states (well, they don't have to, but if it was Trump/DeSantis, they can't get EVs from Florida.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ivanka changing residency is the easiest thing in the world

Unless there's a time limit

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Zwabu posted:

I don’t believe anyone on this thread is making this point as you have stated it. The rebuttal to “Biden old” here has generally been “Trump is in the same neighborhood of old, and is in as much or more decline as Biden, therefore ‘Biden old’ is, in THIS presidential election, not a particularly good reason to sit it out or vote for Trump given that Trump is in fact the alternative.”

Well, that's encouraging, and you're correct, but I think the problem is that when someone posts 'Biden old' it's important to sus out whether they mean 'in the context of an election against Trump does this matter' versus 'does this matter more generally' because it's a different answer depending on which one you're discussing. And I have seen here and elsewhere people blurring the line because they're nervous any discussion of Biden's age automatically makes it the former.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ivanka/Kushner have openly stated that they're done with politics and want to return to their private lives. My bet is on Kristi Noem, personally.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mendrian posted:

Well, that's encouraging, and you're correct, but I think the problem is that when someone posts 'Biden old' it's important to sus out whether they mean 'in the context of an election against Trump does this matter' versus 'does this matter more generally' because it's a different answer depending on which one you're discussing. And I have seen here and elsewhere people blurring the line because they're nervous any discussion of Biden's age automatically makes it the former.

I don't think saying Biden is old is controversial, people are getting pushback for "Biden has dementia based on this 15 second video clip and being old" (obviously false) or "Biden will lose because he's old" (debatable since we won't even know who won until November)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

You know China already bans Facebook and Twitter and even Google, right.

That guy might well be a racist, I know nothing about him. The CEO might not be CCP but it's a mainland Chinese company headquartered in Beijing and having them in control of recommendation algorithms raises some reasonable concerns imo.

Regardless, this doesn't mean it's a "leftist source" because China isn't leftist even if it does in fact control how the app works.

You don't get to define leftism

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

You don't get to define leftism

Then who does and how does China fit that definition?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ivanka/Kushner have openly stated that they're done with politics and want to return to their private lives. My bet is on Kristi Noem, personally.

Yeah like I'm really going to trust the word of a shady landlord (redundant) that repeatedly lied on his SF86.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

socialsecurity posted:

Then who does and how does China fit that definition?

As the largest socialist nation in the world, China has a fair claim to that authority.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
In an election where both candidates have been incredibly light on policy, we are finally starting to get a little bit of each candidate's official platform.

Biden released his 2025 budget blueprint.

This is essentially the domestic taxing/spending policy document for his re-election campaign. Some of these policies were already announced during the State of the Union last week.

Biden's Major Proposals:

- 25% minimum tax rate for individuals with over $1 billion in assets/unrealized capital gains.

- Increase the number of drugs Medicare can negotiate prices for up to 500.

- Cap insulin at $35 per month for private insurance plans and cap out of pocket prescription costs to $2,000 a year for all private health plans.

- Permanently expand the child tax credit back to what it was under the stimulus bill. (~$3,600 per child under 7 and fully refundable)

- Make the ACA/Obamacare boosted subsidies that started during Covid and are set to expire in 2026 permanent.

- Oppose any cuts to Medicare or Social Security

Trump released a few economic and tax policy details in response, but hasn't released a full economic platform yet. This is just a list of what he announced recently in response and is not a comprehensive list of economic platform so far.

Trump's Major proposals:

- Make the 2017 Trump Tax Cuts permanent (the corporate tax cuts are already permanent, this would be for the personal income tax cuts).

- A 10% tariff on all goods entering America to help pay for the tax cuts.

- Reduce the corporate tax rate to 15%

- Pay down the national debt by the end of term (this isn't really a policy, but I'm including it because it is what he said. Doing so would require huge spending cuts and he has declined to specify any of what he would cut to achieve this).

- Support the Republican House budget that would lower the deficit by $14 trillion over 10 years. $8.7 trillion would come from Medicaid and Medicare cuts.

https://twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1767155785233059963

quote:

Biden is issuing a budget plan that details his vision for a second term

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden is issuing a budget plan Monday aimed at getting voters’ attention: tax breaks for families, lower health care costs, smaller deficits and higher taxes on the wealthy and corporations.

Unlikely to pass the House and Senate to become law, the proposal for fiscal 2025 is an election-year blueprint about what the future could hold if Biden and enough of his fellow Democrats win in November. The president and his aides previewed parts of his budget going into last week’s State of the Union address, with plans to provide the fine print on Monday.

If the Biden budget became law, deficits could be pruned $3 trillion over a decade. Parents could get an increased child tax credit. Homebuyers could get a tax credit worth $9,600. Corporate taxes would jump upward, while billionaires would be charged a minimum tax of 25%.

Biden also wants Medicare to have the ability to negotiate prices on 500 prescription drugs, which could save $200 billion over 10 years.

The president is traveling Monday to Manchester, New Hampshire, where he’ll call on Congress to apply his $2,000 cap on drug costs and $35 insulin to everyone, not just people who have Medicare. He’ll also seek to make permanent some protections in the Affordable Care Act that are set to expire next year.

All of this is a chance for Biden to try to define the race on his preferred terms, just as the all-but-certain Republican nominee, Donald Trump, wants to rally voters around his agenda.

“A fair tax code is how we invest in things that make this country great: health care, education, defense and so much more,” Biden said at Thursday’s State of the Union address, adding that his predecessor enacted a $2 trillion tax cut in 2017 that disproportionately benefited the top 1% of earners.

Trump, for his part, would like to increase tariffs and pump out gushers of oil. He called for a “second phase” of tax cuts as parts of his 2017 overhaul of the income tax code would expire after 2025. The Republican has also said he would slash government regulations. He has also pledged to pay down the national debt, though it’s unclear how without him detailing severe spending cuts.

“We’re going to do things that nobody thought was possible,” Trump said after his wins in last week’s Super Tuesday nomination contests.

House Republicans on Thursday voted their own budget resolution for the next fiscal year out of committee, saying it would trim deficits by $14 trillion over 10 years. But their measure would depend on rosy economic forecasts and sharp spending cuts, reducing $8.7 trillion in Medicare and Medicaid expenditures. Biden has pledged to stop any cuts to Medicare.

“The House’s budget blueprint reflects the values of hard-working Americans who know that in tough economic times, you don’t spend what you don’t have — our federal government must do the same,” House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-Louisiana, said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Congress is still working on a budget for the current fiscal year. On Saturday, Biden signed into law a $460 billion package to avoid a shutdown of several federal agencies, but lawmakers are only about halfway through addressing spending for this fiscal year.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gripweed posted:

As the largest socialist nation in the world, China has a fair claim to that authority.

India is bigger.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gripweed posted:

So leftism is purely an economical thing? Social rights don't matter? Instead an authoritarian government that engages in quite a bit of capitalism is considered leftist? Is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have a fair claim on being the most Democratic nation?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Pay down the national debt by the end of term (this isn't really a policy, but I'm including it because it is what he said. Doing so would require huge spending cuts and he has declined to specify any of what he would cut to achieve this).

This is a bit of an understatement- the national debt is significantly more than 4 years of total spending. If he completely shut down the government and military, including essential services, and violating the Constitution by eliminating congressional and executive salaries, so he could devote 100% of the budget to debt payments, there would still be several trillion left over by the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

socialsecurity posted:

So leftism is purely an economical thing? Social rights don't matter? Instead an authoritarian government that engages in quite a bit of capitalism is considered leftist? Is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have a fair claim on being the most Democratic nation?

It’s definitely mainly an economic thing. I don’t know enough about North Korea’s internal political setup to comment on that.