Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i love the insanely bad ideas they keep coming up with to desperately try to make more people care about this self-suck festival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

And the winner is...

Da'vine

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah you gotta wonder the management decisions to not show the great acting clips and instead just have people talk at us more.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

The decision to let past winners do speeches have been done before back in 2009.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Paul Giamatti crying :3:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My Face When posted:

The decision to let past winners do speeches have been done before back in 2009.

It sucked then and it sucks now.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

checkplease posted:

Yeah you gotta wonder the management decisions to not show the great acting clips and instead just have people talk at us more.

Checkplease, I just need you to know that you have been such an inspirational force for me and other performers. You have personally elevated not just me, but the entire craft with your efforts. I love you. I love your posting. You matter. This is transformative.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Clips rule and should always be used. And it's particularly funny that they didn't use them after hyping up Ferrera's monologue.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Holdover montage.

Oh god, Kimmel. Shut up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
lmao a Howard Stern reference

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Animated films next.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Is it me or have they said "Anya" in a weird way twice now?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The producers of Furiosa must be pissed at that intro Hemsworth and Taylor Joy just got.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Animated short winner is

War is over

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I didn't realize the Napoleon Dynamite people were nominated. Could've been a makeup Oscar.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
How you going to make a movie called War Is Over and give an apolitical speech?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Animated feature winner is

boy and the heron

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I get so anxious with group winners about whether they'll all get a chance. The worst is when it's like two guys and the first is going on and on and you can tell the second guy is screaming internally while waiting his turn.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Huh. Thought for sure that was going to Spiderverse but I guess they wanted to give another one to Miyazaki while they still could.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Huh. Thought for sure that was going to Spiderverse but I guess they wanted to give another one to Miyazaki while they still could.

My thought exactly. Not going to complain.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Anything except Elemental could've taken it and I woulda been fine with it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Makes sense because they could just give it to the second part of Spiderverse whenever that comes out.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
TMNT was the better comic superhero animated film of 2023 anyway.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

J33uk posted:

Checkplease, I just need you to know that you have been such an inspirational force for me and other performers. You have personally elevated not just me, but the entire craft with your efforts. I love you. I love your posting. You matter. This is transformative.

lol dang that goes feel good

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
No opinion about the animated shorts since I didn't see those, but I'm 2/2 on my preferred picks so far. I expect the remainder to be a bloodbath of Oppenheimer's bullshit, though.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Srice posted:

Makes sense because they could just give it to the second part of Spiderverse whenever that comes out.

My thought as well, why give the Oscar to part 2 of a trilogy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Helps that Boy and the Heron is better than this Spiderverse

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, the third will probably pick it up unless something insane comes out that year. Glad the first one got the award at least, and can’t complain losing to a well liked Miyazaki flick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

surf rock posted:

No opinion about the animated shorts since I didn't see those, but I'm 2/2 on my preferred picks so far. I expect the remainder to be a bloodbath of Oppenheimer's bullshit, though.

Watched them all except My Uniform as my copy didn’t have subs, and I had War is Over behind 95 Senses. Didn’t love any of them, so whatever.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Poor Things montage.

I watched it with my dad last night and the gratuitous sex scenes were wild.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Screenplays next.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I'm just surprised academy people voted for boy and the heron. It's Miyazaki's weirdest but guess he's got the rep now and could be last stuff.

Love the film and good win.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Interesting that they're holding off on the technical categories. Feels like they usually burn through those early.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Oooof. These jokes are dire.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Oh God that Chippendale banter was awful

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

fishing with the fam posted:

Oooof. These jokes are dire.

Yeah, that Chippendale/Chip'n'Dale bit was hard to watch.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Original screenplay winner is

anatomy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They played P.I.M.P.!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

50 cent song yesssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Oh god loving dammit, Past Lives isn't going to win anything