Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mandel Brotset posted:

lol this brought back memories of me just casually playing war with children’s toys

my favorite part of gi joe is how the way they depicted war to make it appropriate for 5 year olds was to remove all the scary parts of it so its a completely whitewashed laser battle in which everybody safely bails out of their tank before it blows up and nobody ever gets injured, stripping industrial violence of its ramifications and teaching an entire generation of kids that forever war is good actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

How the gently caress do you make this thing and not also make it a flamethrower?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Grilled Beef posted:

You are 25 years behind

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_Air_and_Space_Global_Laser_Engagement

Got a lot of money in the Bush years. course every crackpot idea did. But ground based laser, you shoot it at a blimp that is hanging a mirror off it, and the laser reflects off the mirror to the target

popular Science/Mechanics loved printing every ad copy of a new weapon system back there as the next big thing that would kill all the terrorists

all the dumbest units in command and conquer were generally ripped from the headlines

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

my favorite part of gi joe is how the way they depicted war to make it appropriate for 5 year olds was to remove all the scary parts of it so its a completely whitewashed laser battle in which everybody safely bails out of their tank before it blows up and nobody ever gets injured, stripping industrial violence of its ramifications and teaching an entire generation of kids that forever war is good actually

Thanks Mr Harmon!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Oldest Man posted:

Animorphs stays winning

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

better hope you don't land in a body of water because you'll sink like a rock lol

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

yellowcar posted:

better hope you don't land in a body of water because you'll sink like a rock lol

Oh they're crossing that bridge.

https://youtu.be/U8NVb1ZHo68?si=8GNa22qKvR-yyKbq

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Someone explained this better in either this thread or the Ukraine thread, but the idea that money is power has vaporized people's brains when they try to apply that logic to the military.

They really do believe that GDP is the same as national strength, because you can just buy military power. You give a trillion dollars to LockMart and then... you win. How much they make of anything, how long it takes to deliver, if it's even good, like basically doesn't enter into it. It's spreadsheet thinking, but, idk my brain can't tap into it.

I think the people who came up with the RMA in the 70's-80's were kind of bullshitting because they saw the military balance with Warsaw Pact. Reagan and Thatcher required, on an ideological level, that NATO was militarily superior, so these guys promised the moon to them, that somehow, qualitative superiority - which really only meant more expensive - would guarantee that NATO would have an advantage if only the projected equipment for the 80's, 90's, The Year Two Thousand was funded.

Then 1991 really pushed this into overdrive, and everybody believed the hype, even though the armies that defeated the Iraqis were actually not fielding the new equipment of the RMA in most cases - the Marines went to Iraq with M60s, only 7% of munitions used were smart, etc.

But now, it doesn't matter how many times this has proven to be a worse military system than the 1970's in, arguably, most ways other than communications and certain types of sensors, people take the RMA stuff as gospel, instead of failure after failure for 20 years.

Here's where I hit kind of my intellectual and theoretical ceiling, but probably one of you is better equipped to handle it:

I don't think the so-called Revolution in Military Affairs is unrelated to either neoconservatism or neoliberalism, the timing is too similar to be coincidental, and all three refer to the others, but I can't really prove it because I don't know why that would be. Obviously the belief in technological dominance is a bit part of the sales pitch for neoconservatism, Max Boot's insane book War Made New is worth reading to know how these people think. I think the relationship to neoliberalism must have something to do with the idea that producing things isn't just unnecessary, it's almost dirty.

Idk. People who believe in all 3 things run the world though, so maybe someone should look into that.

I know you know better but to be sure that you do know to be better...

quote:

In pursuing this type of cooperation, it has become increasingly clear that
there is no single model for restructuring of defence industries. Although there
are common problems and challenges, it is in the interest of each country to
pursue its own specific policies, taking into account its political, social and eco-
nomic environment. In order to better understand this dualism and to draw
appropriate joint lessons, special emphasis is placed on the analysis of practi-
cal experiences of defence restructuring. This part of the work includes indi-
vidual case studies and draws on the experiences of a broad range of relevant
agencies, national administrations, the management side of private and public
companies, and local and regional authorities. It also allows the sectorial and
regional dimensions of defence restructuring to be taken into account.

Cooperation in this area will continue to be centred on practical aspects of
the restructuring and adaptation of the defence industry sector, taking into
account regional differences. In general terms, developments in the demand side
of the defence market, as well as the response of the supply side through indus-
trial restructuring, and the economic consequences of the latter, need to be care-
fully monitored. Moreover, defence industries are losing their singularity and are
being increasingly obliged to bow to market forces. It is therefore also crucial to
analyse effects on the economy of the privatisation of defence companies.

Security aspects of economic developments are discussed at an annual
NATO Economics Colloquium and other seminars and workshops. The
Economics Colloquium is attended by experts from business, universities and
national and international administrations, and provides a framework for an
intensive exchange of ideas and experiences in the economic sphere. Themes
addressed at recent Economic Colloquia have included the social and human
dimensions of economic developments and reforms in Cooperation Partner
countries; the status of such reforms, their implications for security and the
opportunities and constraints associated with them; and privatisation in
Cooperation Partner countries

Quoting from the NATO 2001 handbook regarding what you have been talking about for the last few pages.

Working as intended it seems.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

there's a bad guy in a house in the woods, do you:

1. walk quietly on foot until you're at the house or

2. use an angry lawnmower to hide in the trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuW4VqEflY

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Tactically disguised as landscapers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what the defense contractor promises:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GjCcupKkOo

what you get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CzrGY22UE4

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I love that they picked a use case where everything would be more tactically sound, just using a light vehicle or even some loving dirt bikes. Like at least put the target building in an island or up a sheer rock face to show off a unique capability.

I also like how once on target the objective was to lob one (1) device through an exterior door, call it mission accomplished, and leave. Because actually trying to CQB into the building would foul your idiot fucker rocketeer pack onto every doorway and piece of furniture like a fat turtle.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love that they picked a use case where everything would be more tactically sound, just using a light vehicle or even some loving dirt bikes. Like at least put the target building in an island or up a sheer rock face to show off a unique capability.

I also like how once on target the objective was to lob one (1) device through an exterior door, call it mission accomplished, and leave. Because actually trying to CQB into the building would foul your idiot fucker rocketeer pack onto every doorway and piece of furniture like a fat turtle.

It can be on an island because the rocket packs have something like a 5 minutes flight time.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

IDK, I think the funniest part is that while active the jetpacks make you:

1. easy to spot.

2. Easy to hear

3. Completely defenseless.

You have to manually guide it with your hands so if anybody actually spots you while you're flying you have to land before you can draw a weapon and defend yourself.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The jet pack demo should totally have the operator guy break out in Tuxedo and infiltrate Epstein's super party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZdXbtV_LU&t=58s

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IDK, I think the funniest part is that while active the jetpacks make you:

1. easy to spot.

2. Easy to hear

3. Completely defenseless.

You have to manually guide it with your hands so if anybody actually spots you while you're flying you have to land before you can draw a weapon and defend yourself.

yeah but the let you deep strike anywhere at least 9 inches away from the enemy during the movement phase

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

there's a bad guy in a house in the woods, do you:

1. walk quietly on foot until you're at the house or

2. use an angry lawnmower to hide in the trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuW4VqEflY

“Your combat load is now 150 pounds. this will enable you to, for very brief periods of time, and with a lot of noise, reach or even slightly exceed the speed at which you could traverse terrain if your combat load was not 150 pounds.”

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
the only way to improve on our jetpack supersoldiers is to issue each of them a hololens

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I just learned that new NATO superstar Sweden has been trying to develop an Uzi since 2008 without success :psyduck:

Obviously the HK MP7 has completely eaten their lunch and I'd be surprised if it ever gets made now, but... what the gently caress lmao?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Acog on a pdw so you're ready for any situation

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GlassEye-Boy posted:

It can be on an island because the rocket packs have something like a 5 minutes flight time.

I was about to say this. We’ve had working jet packs of similar size for decades. Sean Connery used one in Thunderball (the same jet pack was later used at the first Super Bowl halftime show). And the problem (besides the noise, and the safety, and the…) was always the fact you can’t carry enough fuel to actually go anywhere. The Wright Brothers wouldn’t have had to build that big ole’ plane if the fuel weight to engine size equations allowed it.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I just learned that new NATO superstar Sweden has been trying to develop an Uzi since 2008 without success :psyduck:

Obviously the HK MP7 has completely eaten their lunch and I'd be surprised if it ever gets made now, but... what the gently caress lmao?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

i take everything ive ever said about swedes back, theyre a nation of geniuses and i love them

e:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

looks like some gun a cod streamer would make lol

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

14.5 inch barrel length for infantry weapons is average? this is very disturbing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

we accessorizedour machine pistol wrong, as a joke

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
prop the weapon up against a rock or something.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

*completely unfounded local patriotism* this wouldnt have happened if husqvarna was still making guns

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

It's beautiful.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
great news: it also fits under the barrel of your antitank weapon

what the gently caress is this thing lmao

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Best Friends posted:

14.5 inch barrel length for infantry weapons is average? this is very disturbing

lol deep cut

Thank god for UCSB this terror wasn’t available yet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Malleum posted:

:lol: loving hell this is dumb

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Malleum posted:

A spotting rifle

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

that's some airsoft tier poo poo

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Malleum posted:

cannon with coaxial machine gun

is tank

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Malleum posted:

i'm like 80% sure that's a spotting/ranging gun but...

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jfc we already had a perfectly serviceable smg that was cheap, reliable, easy to manufacture and used a standard caliber round, but we literally destroyed the absolutely massive amount of them we had in stock in the early 2000s. :shepicide:

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Is there some actual reason that jetpack doesn't just put the jets on a frame sticking out of each side of the pack? Not only would it allow you to computer control flight stabilization but you could control it with one hand or even your mouth or feet.
I guess this is more intuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We need a silent stealth high speed insertion. I think you all know what this means.

Are we finally breaking out the jetpacks sarge? Hell yeah!

Bicycles. I hope you boys know how to pedal.