Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Run off the end and make sure you keep R2 held down

You can’t run off the roped off ramps from the minigame, only the ones in the world with the yellow highlight thing on the end.

Literally as soon as I posted I held R2, thanks. I’d been sprinting this entire time with L3 and I guess expected it to be automatic like literally every other chocobo interaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Earlier someone was talking about Yuffie's elemental ninjutsu not doing enough to pressure an enemy. Here's the secret: her synergy skill with Aerith or Cait Sith, Foxflame, can hit about as hard as a second-level elemental spell when charged and has the properties of whatever her ninjutsu is on as well as giving he rand her partner a full ATB bar. It's boss.

Also incredibly boss? All the capstone abilities you can start getting when you hit party level 8. Aerial Onslaught for Cloud basically replaces Braver. Transcendence for Aerith melts bosses. Lifeblood Cannon can easily hit the damage cap. They're all so good.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 11, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Earlier someone was talking about Yuffie's elemental ninjutsu not doing enough to pressure an enemy. Here's the secret: her synergy skill with Aerith or Cait Sith, Foxflame, can hit about as hard as a second-level elemental spell when charged and has the properties of whatever her ninjutsu is on as well as giving he rand her partner a full ATB bar. It's boss.

Also incredibly boss? All the capstone abilities you can start getting when you hit party level 8. Aerial Onslaught for Cloud basically replaces Braver. Transcendence for Aerith melts bosses. Lifeblood Cannon can easily hit the damage cap. They're all so good.

The only one I left a bit cold on was Trinity Strike (It's neat in theory but even if you time the buttons right it feels like Tifa has better stuff to do with her ATB) and Slots (because they are insanely loving good but even if you're good at hitting the reels Cait Sith has to stay still way too long for my tastes.)

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Beat the game, I thought it was pretty good but the open world stuff didn't really add anything other than making me wand to shove chadley in a locker.

Ending spoilers With all the whisper stuff and all the fate nonsense it ending in the the same way except cloud can see aerith now has got to be up there in shaggy dog stories.

I kind of think that this game suffered from the added scenes in certain parts, like aerith specifically letting hojo go at costa del sol or stopping cloud from killing the turks. These guys killed thousands of people and your friends just use your gun arm if you need to hurry. On the other hand Reeve's motivation changing to, "just didn't want you guys to get crushed" was neat. Barret, Yuffie, and Dio are the best characters in the game and the joke of Cait being a guy teleworking while acting like a weird cat owns.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fedule posted:

God drat, Hard Mode isn't loving around this time. It wasn't exactly a cakewalk in Remake either but it was comprehensible. But here it took me an hour to beat Midgardsomr and I was at max level and trying to build for it and barely scraping by with some lucky staggers and a couple level 3 limits. I feel like it's gonna be gruelling.

Reminds me how great the music for that particular fight is though. One of the million billion remixes of Those Who Fight. For some reason I read a lot of Darren Korb energy from it. It's the guitars I think.

Just use elemental materia to make everyone immune to fire damage and it's stupid easy, even more so with poison immunity from accessories or warding materia. Steadfast Block is also super important on hard.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Just finished Chapter 9/started 10

Oh no, Roche. I liked you as the weirdo with a meteor-sized man crush on Cloud. Don't become some genetic abomination I have to put out of its misery.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valleyant posted:

Beat the game, I thought it was pretty good but the open world stuff didn't really add anything other than making me wand to shove chadley in a locker.

Ending spoilers With all the whisper stuff and all the fate nonsense it ending in the the same way except cloud can see aerith now has got to be up there in shaggy dog stories.

I kind of think that this game suffered from the added scenes in certain parts, like aerith specifically letting hojo go at costa del sol or stopping cloud from killing the turks. These guys killed thousands of people and your friends just use your gun arm if you need to hurry. On the other hand Reeve's motivation changing to, "just didn't want you guys to get crushed" was neat. Barret, Yuffie, and Dio are the best characters in the game and the joke of Cait being a guy teleworking while acting like a weird cat owns.

I mean the gang not doing anything about Hojo in costa de sol is exactly how it plays out in the og.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm so bad at this game, I fought Alexander at the lowest power level and only had one person left standing, and I just tried Kujata at the lowest power level and lost :negative:

Also I'm a weirdo and enjoying traversing the Gongaga region, it's like a puzzle trying to get where you need to go

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean the gang not doing anything about Hojo in costa de sol is exactly how it plays out in the og.

yeah but there also wasn't a giant that nearly managed to kidnap everyone in the og

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gears and Gambits is REALLY loving bad.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Pollyanna posted:

Gears and Gambits is REALLY loving bad.

It is, in fact, quite bad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valleyant posted:

yeah but there also wasn't a giant that nearly managed to kidnap everyone in the og

I just mean that like the addition there isn't them not doing anything about Hojo because that's the OG. The addition is a boss fight and Johnny moments which is definitely weird but also not actually too much weirder than the OG. The iconic FF7 scene of Hojo inexplicably sunbaking surrounded by women and also nothing comes of it is just a very awkward FF7 moment and the adaption doesn't manage to make it less so.

But hey perhaps that's the spice that makes FF7 what it is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Does the "relatively forgiving" QB stage Survival Boot Camp in Gold Saucer imply there are harder versions of this later? Because loving christ this is awful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, you guys weren't kidding about the gliding being all hosed up.

There are two main issues I've identified:

1. When you pull up after a dive, it also turns the camera in.such a way that it's very hard to tell where you are

2. There's a threshold where you either gain height after a dive or gain nothing, with nothing in-between. If you mistakenly pull up early, the run is ruined because you just lost a lot of altitude with zero "up-draft" to show for it

Just feels deeply unintuitive

Edit: One thing to keep in mind is that you may need to turn off the motion controls. Those messed me up at first.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 11, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked the glide minigame but some parts of the courses were bad - you had to be absolutely precise and perfect with your timing. The lack of camera control really did make it harder than it had any right to be. These things need more room for error and not require absolute precision from you.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hit my first low point in the game, reminds me of some of the worst areas of Remake (chapter 8)
this Corel Prison section sucks. I don't want to hunt down greens and I don't want to play as cloud solo. Boo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So it turns out that was not the final protorelic quest and I am super unprepared for what comes next. :shittypop:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get what the gliding wants you to do, but it loving sucks. And there seems to be some element of luck in the timing near the end of the second course, since the 500s are moving around and you don't have the "juice" to chase them, so you just have to hope they're in the right place when you reach that point.

Edit: The reward you get from the awful Mindflayer simulation is at least really good. Just wipes out most enemy encounters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 11, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gliding is super finicky and I get the sense the devs didn't realise just how much variance can occur with maintaing your altitude or hitting the moving targets between runs where it feels like you're playing the same way each time.

And also any one run is like 3 mins. Def worst minigame by a mile. (Or at least I hope there's nothing worse)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Too many mini games and side quest enemies in Rebirth can swing wildly based on fiddly randomness or awkward controls. That's fine when you are playing with other people. It's not great in a single player game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gliding and crunches are both at the bottom but gliding just feels lousy and takes forever on top of being extremely difficult

i just cleared it and three things that helped were:

1. when pulling out of a dive, you should hold up on the stick until the very peak of your ascent. this doesn't apply if you're ascending via updraft
2. keep your fingers off the sticks whenever possible. i had way more consistency with descending/ascending doing this and i suspect it's because the least bit of vertical fiddling fucks up the glide physics
3. for the very last stretch of the final course, after hitting the updraft, turn around after hitting the first two 500-point circles and hit the updraft again. this'll let you go straight to the final dive of the course with the maximum amount of height

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The only enemies that feel fiddly are the dang jellyfish imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you just need to wait a few seconds. their invulnerability doesn’t switch off until you stop attacking them

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can wait until you see the jellyfish casting a spell, then smack them.

Solo Cloud vs six cactuars in a tiny room though? That's fuckin' fiddly.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh yeah lmao. Forgot about Cactuars. Fight's over so fast though that it didn't end up bothering me too much, despite all the retries

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Man, I'm having some trouble with the combat. There's so much to it, lots of stuff going on. I did that first mini boss or whatever it's called, the wolf you have to kill for the farmer. It absolutely murdered me at lvl 17 on normal. I could put it on easy, but I'd rather try to learn it a bit so I can dig into it and enjoy beating things up instead of button mashing.

For now I do have one question, I feel like I'm missing something. It has to do with synergy skills/abilities or whatever. So obviously there are the big ones you have to build up to, by using ATB chargers, you have to fill in the appropriate number of blue boxes on both characters. Seems like it takes a while to do, so probably more for bosses and other long/tough fights. I understand that. However, I keep seeing talk about using a synergy skill that doesn't cost anything and helps fill your ATB gauge? In fact, let me quote a random page

quote:

With these terms in mind, the overall flow of your actions in combat should look like this:

Attack/Synergy Skills (fills ATB) > Activate an ATB Ability/Spell/Item (fills the Synergy Gauge) > Activate Synergy Ability (when it’s available)

I don't think I've found anything like this. The only other thing I can think of, is I learned those non-mp using elemental attacks from the folio, but I'm pretty sure those use ATB. Am I missing something really obvious? If I am, that might partially explain why I'm getting beat up so easy.

Also, can someone explain parrying with cloud? From what I can tell googling(which isn't as useful as I thought), you just hit triangle(if you aren't in punisher mode) right as an attack lands and it'll parry? And if you're already in Punisher Mode, you hit R1 right as the attack lands, is that correct?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Just got the Corel open world… is there a helicopter constantly circling you that you can’t see?? I keep hearing something like that…

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Just silence the jellyfish and they'll pressure themselves when they try to cast a spell

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Just got the Corel open world… is there a helicopter constantly circling you that you can’t see?? I keep hearing something like that…

It's going from Costa del Sol to the Gold Saucer

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Man, I'm having some trouble with the combat. There's so much to it, lots of stuff going on. I did that first mini boss or whatever it's called, the wolf you have to kill for the farmer. It absolutely murdered me at lvl 17 on normal. I could put it on easy, but I'd rather try to learn it a bit so I can dig into it and enjoy beating things up instead of button mashing.

For now I do have one question, I feel like I'm missing something. It has to do with synergy skills/abilities or whatever. So obviously there are the big ones you have to build up to, by using ATB chargers, you have to fill in the appropriate number of blue boxes on both characters. Seems like it takes a while to do, so probably more for bosses and other long/tough fights. I understand that. However, I keep seeing talk about using a synergy skill that doesn't cost anything and helps fill your ATB gauge? In fact, let me quote a random page

I don't think I've found anything like this. The only other thing I can think of, is I learned those non-mp using elemental attacks from the folio, but I'm pretty sure those use ATB. Am I missing something really obvious? If I am, that might partially explain why I'm getting beat up so easy.

Also, can someone explain parrying with cloud? From what I can tell googling(which isn't as useful as I thought), you just hit triangle(if you aren't in punisher mode) right as an attack lands and it'll parry? And if you're already in Punisher Mode, you hit R1 right as the attack lands, is that correct?

That wolf fight taught me the importance of blocking, especially with Red. Block like mad to build vengeance, unleash that and siphon fang to get health back. And either Cloud+Tifa or Cloud+Aerith have a pseudo-Braver attack that hits hard and fills each one’s ATB

On an unrelated note, everybody, I know how to make you read a sentence in a certain someone’s voice:

*da-ding ding ding* “Cloud!”

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

The synergy skills are used by holding block and pressing one of the four buttons. You can unlock different skills in the manuscript page, just like you can with synergy abilities. Some of the skills are a bit awkward to use, but Cloud + Aerith's Magic Sword is dead simple and can instantly fill both their bars if you hit a bunch of things with it. Other skills let you do things like have another party member teleport to Aerith to block incoming attacks.

Cloud's parry is basically automatic as long as he's in Punisher mode (press triangle) and holding block. You don't have to perfect time it, though perfect timing the block will also reduce the incoming damage to zero. Note that he can't counter (or block at all) ranged attacks or spells, it has to be something taking a swing at him. He also can't counter unblockable attacks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I’m just starting, and have probably a common question: If I generally liked normal difficulty in Remake and Intergrade, should i stick with it in Rebirth or is dynamic noticeably better? It sounds like enemy scaling, which I don’t mind, but if there’s something crumby about the implementation it’d be nice to know.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've had no problem with Dynamic, I do wonder how much everything scales though because game seems a bit easier than Remake.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dynamic is ideal, on normal it doesn’t take long before everything dies to a sneeze

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Y'all must be better at the game than me because I'm in chapter 10 and fights are still plenty challenging on Normal.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just one-shot the Access Denied bout at Gold Saucer despite the second team having nobody with a heal and nobody happened to have Lightning equipped (I goofed when picking my teams). It was entirely due to Red absolutely refusing to die and also Stardust Ray being OP as hell. I don't use him enough, I should definitely fix that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

dynamic is ideal, on normal it doesn’t take long before everything dies to a sneeze

Yeah, I think Dynamic is better because the HP is toned a bit too low in Normal, which means you don't get a chance to actually fool around with the mechanics much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have been enjoying the combat the entire time, but didnt start to really understand how to take full advantage of all of the mechanics until near the end of the game.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Do I need perfect accuracy for the celestial phenomenon side quest or is 80% ok?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Do I need perfect accuracy for the celestial phenomenon side quest or is 80% ok?

80% on all pictures gets you the best results yeah

If its green snap that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wow, they sure put a lot of combat challenges in this game huh