Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
When I enter an airport I look and act like a hermit who has just been yoinked back into "civilization." I ALWAYS get swabbed for bomb making residue. Some people are just lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Shanghaied posted:

Uh, are you saying that a dirty cop was emailing sensitive information to your dad in the mistaken belief that he was a federal fugitive???:stonk:

No they are saying that a cop has the same name as a criminal who has the same name as Elviscat's dad. So Elviscat's dad sometimes was mistaken for the criminal when traveling, and on other occasions received misdirected electronic correspondence that was intended for the cop.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Desert Bus posted:

When I enter an airport I look and act like a hermit who has just been yoinked back into "civilization." I ALWAYS get swabbed for bomb making residue. Some people are just lucky.

"What is this device here, sir?"

"That is my vape."

"And these here?"

"Those are my frozen bananas."

"You bring frozen bananas with you when you travel?"

"I cannot answer that without a lawyer present."

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

wheatpuppy posted:

No they are saying that a cop has the same name as a criminal who has the same name as Elviscat's dad. So Elviscat's dad sometimes was mistaken for the criminal when traveling, and on other occasions received misdirected electronic correspondence that was intended for the cop.

sullat posted:

No he's saying that a tech-illiterate cop was sending his dad case info because he had the same name as another cop. In addition to the famous criminal with the same name.

Ah okay, because otherwise it sounded like the premise of a thriller.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got a half eaten chile relleno burrito swabbed for explosive residue once, the TSA agent giggled when he saw what it was.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I know. I'm an American. I think it's silly. I also know that Scots and Irish people find it annoying and hilarious that somebody whose great-grandparents emigrated thinks they've got some sort of blood tie to the homeland.

Eh, I can kind of understand.
My heritage is British, from when they did the usual of showing up and loving with the locals. I have no cultural ties to said locals, none with Britain, and there's not really a national historic culture if that makes sense. It's not really an issue for me, but for someone who values being a part of a heritage or tradition the gaping void that is white former colonist doesn't really provide any meaning or community. So latching on to something like that is something that makes sense.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

wheatpuppy posted:

Messing up an e-mail address is one thing, but who is sending official cop business to a .com e-mail address unless they're doing something underhanded (to avoid FOIA or internal audit)?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for not wanting to give my bsf my graduation dress on her birthday.

Ah, Best Sriends Forever

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Messing up an e-mail address is one thing, but who is sending official cop business to a .com e-mail address unless they're doing something underhanded (to avoid FOIA or internal audit)?

People are really, really stupid about who they send confidential info, I get financial stuff all the time from people with my same initial and surname using my email address to sign up for stuff. I could totally believe somebody being dumb enough to use a non-official email address for official stuff just because it has the person's name.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

People are really, really stupid

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

carrionman posted:

Eh, I can kind of understand.
My heritage is British, from when they did the usual of showing up and loving with the locals. I have no cultural ties to said locals, none with Britain, and there's not really a national historic culture if that makes sense. It's not really an issue for me, but for someone who values being a part of a heritage or tradition the gaping void that is white former colonist doesn't really provide any meaning or community. So latching on to something like that is something that makes sense.

I recently had to fill out this US Census thing and it asked repeatedly about the education, employment, and ethnicity of everyone in the household. First you check "white" "Hispanic" "Filipino" or whatever, then it asks you to specify details, and you can't skip that. So I spent 20 minutes repeatedly filling out, "white" > "American mutt" because how the hell do I know what percent English or German I am? I have one great-grandparent that I know came over from Denmark but I am not writing that I am Danish with a straight face. There is no option for "don't know" either, so if you are adopted I guess the Census doesn't care.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

wheatpuppy posted:

I recently had to fill out this US Census thing and it asked repeatedly about the education, employment, and ethnicity of everyone in the household. First you check "white" "Hispanic" "Filipino" or whatever, then it asks you to specify details, and you can't skip that. So I spent 20 minutes repeatedly filling out, "white" > "American mutt" because how the hell do I know what percent English or German I am? I have one great-grandparent that I know came over from Denmark but I am not writing that I am Danish with a straight face. There is no option for "don't know" either, so if you are adopted I guess the Census doesn't care.

Well tough poo poo, you're Danish now. Better start to drink Tuborg, eat smørrebrød, and learn that incomprehensible language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7b83xPdE4

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 10, 2024

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yeah, I'm dying to know the name that is so stereotypically Arabic that it gets you flagged even with a fully Western last name that someone also thought would be a good name for a strip club.

Isis?

littleratbastard
Aug 18, 2018
Ahh, so the problem is, much like suit guys, it’s guys that make wearing a single piece of clothing their entire personality. Thank y’all! That does sound insufferable. Tactikilts also look cute, like a nice practical neutral skirt with extra pockets, but from the name alone I can already tell that the loudest wearers of it are going to be insufferable.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The Kilt is the Fedora of the groin.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Kilts are so ubiquitous at DragonCon, for a while there was a woman who would bring a leaf blower every year to blow kilts up (consensually) and I guess it's turned into a whole thing called kilt blowing now with official events or whathaveyou? I haven't gone in 15 years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragoncon/comments/51gbl8/lost_camera_and_then_found_it_full_of_kilt/

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Shanghaied posted:

Well tough poo poo, you're Danish now. Better start to drink Tuborg, eat smørrebrød, and learn that incomprehensible language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J7b83xPdE4

Carlsberg Elephant is great

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Kilts are so ubiquitous at DragonCon, for a while there was a woman who would bring a leaf blower every year to blow kilts up (consensually) and I guess it's turned into a whole thing called kilt blowing now with official events or whathaveyou? I haven't gone in 15 years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dragoncon/comments/51gbl8/lost_camera_and_then_found_it_full_of_kilt/

It started as a way to check for diapers.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Nice but I'm not clicking that

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Lol it's a guy saying he lost his camera and got it back full of kilt blowing photos, but don't worry there's no images

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's my bad, they were cityname.gov addresses, my dad was an engineer employed by the city.

I guess the cop loving hated my dad, because the cop went to the same high-school in a year younger grade, and couldn't walk during graduation because all my dad's library fines were assigned to the other dude.

My headcannon from now on is going to be that the cop hated my dad so much he committed a variety of Federal offenses and then fled the country for the sole purpose of mildly inconveniencing my dad.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Desert Bus posted:

The Kilt is the Fedora of the groin.

M'Lassie.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Elviscat posted:

I guess the cop loving hated my dad, because the cop went to the same high-school in a year younger grade, and couldn't walk during graduation because all my dad's library fines were assigned to the other dude.

:dunkedon:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hobnob posted:

M'Lassie.

heh

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
a person of Scottish heritage is not committing cultural appropriation by wearing a kilt and everybody needs to stop policing other people's bodies and clothing when it doesn't harm anyone

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When they're being an rear end in a top hat about My HeritageTM and their only connection to said place is an incredibly tangential one from the 1800's, they ain't Scottish.

Also I got my shoes swabbed at the airport once going from California back to Texas. They had sand on them. We'd gone to the beach the day before. The agent looked annoyed so I'm guessing they either really wanted some excitement that day or they get "residue turns out to be normal-rear end sand" all the drat time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
As a Scot, please feel free to appropriate our goofy national dress all you like Americans.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

InediblePenguin posted:

everybody needs to stop policing other people when what they're doing doesn't harm anyone

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Who has been policed?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

keep punching joe posted:

As a Scot, please feel free to appropriate our goofy national dress all you like Americans.

:patriot:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for refusing to attend my mom's renaissance fair themed birthday party?

quote:

My mom recently turned 50 and my family has been experiencing some tension. I'm currently planning a wedding and my mom has been nothing but cold and standoffish with my bride to be. I have addressed her behavior multiple times and the answer is always "well she isn't my fiancee" "well I'm shy" "well you picked her, not me." I finally blew up and we had a long heart to heart and she confirmed my fears that she doesn't like my fiancee much and finds her "annoying" and "vapid" I told her if she ever acted on those feelings she will be disinvited from the wedding.

My fiancee recently had a bridal shower/bachelorette weekend at Disney as she is a huge Disney person. Growing up we rarely went to Disney as my stepdad, and I preferred Universal. I never knew my mom had opinions regarding Disney thought, but it got back to me that she was making fun of the bridal shower calling it things like "lame' and "embarrassing" When I confronted her she expressed her "concerns" She felt it was self indulgent that she was having so many pre-wedding events, and she was salty about being given a matching shirt to wear. Apparently she didn't want to be in the "bride squad" She tried to brush this off by saying Disney was childish and themes are lame.

I ended up skipping my mom's birthday trip to Italy due to other commitments. To be fair she was cool with this. I planned on taking her to dinner sometime, since 50 is a big deal, but I recieved an invitation to a surprise party on the day of her actual birthday and decided to attend. When I got there it was full ren faire themed, costumes, games, food, performers. It was like her own personal fair. Now I don't think people would suspect this, because she gives off too cool vibes, but my mom loves renaissance fairs. It started as a joke with her and a friend that it is an excuse to "dress slutty" but that was years ago and now they are her thing.

To be honest it was an amazing party, probably one of the sickest parties I've seen, but I immediately felt pissed. How the hell is a ren fair less cringey, childish, or embarrassing than Disney? and why isn't it excessive that my mom had a trip abroad plus this party? I just could not stop thinking loving hypocrite.

My mom walked in and got surprised. Then she went to change and I couldn't take it anymore. I told my aunt I was leaving and that if my mom wanted me she could call and personally apologize to my fiancee. My aunt called me a "prick" but I left with my fiancee and guess who never called? Now my family is saying I'm an rear end for missing both of her celebrations when 50 is a huge deal. Also apparently they are mad because they feel my fiancee used the party to get insta likes, but like what? She didn't know we would be leaving early.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to attend my mom's renaissance fair themed birthday party?

That's got to be one of the easiest ESH ever, no?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rescue Toaster posted:

That's got to be one of the easiest ESH ever, no?

FACT

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

AITA for being truthful and admitting that I find my wife unattractive after her surgery?

quote:

My wife had plastic surgery recently. We had discussed it and I was against it. It was not my decision and ultimately I had no say.

She looks weird now. She had the fat sucked out of her face, lip fillers, a neck lift, other stuff I don't really get.

She gives me uncanny valley vibes now. It freaks me out. She is fully healed now and she wants us to go back to normal. Like me initiating sex. I have done so but not as much as I used to. And when I do I try and make sure there is very little light.

It's been a few months and I kind of dread having to look at her. Obviously she has noticed. She has been bugging me to tell her what's up. I've tried telling her I'm just tired from work. Or that I'm run down. Really anything except for the truth.

She broke down and asked me if I was having an affair. I said that I wasn't. She asked to look at my phone. I unlocked it for her and handed it over. I wasn't worried about her finding anything because there is nothing to find. She spent an hour looking through it and found nothing. She asked me to explain why I changed. I tried explaining that I just wasn't that interested right now.

Nothing I said was good enough for her. She kept digging. I finally told the truth. I wasn't harsh or brutally honest. I just told her that her new face wasn't something I found attractive and that I was turned off. She asked if that's why I turn off all the lights now. I said yes. She started crying and said that she needed time alone. She went to stay with her sister.

I have been called every name in the book since this happened. Her sister said I'm a piece of poo poo for insulting my wife's looks. Her friends all think I'm the rear end in a top hat.

I tried not to say anything. I can't force myself to find her attractive. I still love her but her face is just weird now. She looks like the blue alien from The Fifth Element.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Troublemaker posted:

AITA for being truthful and admitting that I find my wife unattractive after her surgery?

:owned:

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I'm just posting this because I'm curious whether other people find it as weird as I do.

I 34/F doubt my husband M/33. If you were in my shoes, what would you think about this?

quote:

Last night, I 34/F had an argument with my husband M/33. I started it.

I have been having a mild cold these days, with just a little phlegm. Last night, I wanted to take some medicine to relieve the discomfort or prevent it from getting worse.

It was my first time looking for medicine at home. When I went to the medicine cabinet, the first medicine I saw was an expired cold medicine for viral infections. It clearly said it was for viral colds only, not for common colds. Then I realized this was the same medicine my husband gave me two days ago.

Two days ago, I casually mentioned that I left my medicine at the office. My husband said there was plenty of cold medicine at home and he would get some for me. I agreed. He gave me two packets of ginger powder medicine with only the brand name on them. I didn't think much and took the medicine.

Last night, I realized I shouldn't have taken that medicine, because it was expired and it wasn't for my type of cold. There were many other cold medicines, and I finally found one that suited me.

While I was taking my medicine, I felt bad about taking the wrong one two days ago. I wondered why my husband didn't check the medicine label and gave me the wrong one. I didn't ask him to do it. He volunteered to give me the medicine.

I confronted him and asked him why he gave me the wrong medicine. He said I had a sore throat, so he gave me that medicine, which was absurd. I never said I had a sore throat, and it was obvious that my throat was fine. I was so angry with his nonsense. The argument escalated from there.

Now, I have calmed down a bit, but I'm still not happy with what happened last night. It makes me rethink my past behavior. I used to be a nice girl. I never questioned people's kindness. When my husband refused to eat something I bought, I felt hurt. But I always ate whatever he gave me, thinking he would be pleased to see me enjoy it.

I feel my heart turn cold. I can't see the world the same way. It's wrong to accept people's kindness. If there is no relationship and no trust, don't accept people's kindness.
If you were in my shoes, what would you think about this?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Propaniac posted:

I'm just posting this because I'm curious whether other people find it as weird as I do.

I 34/F doubt my husband M/33. If you were in my shoes, what would you think about this?

See a specialist.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Propaniac posted:

This lady is having a minor psychotic break, nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Troublemaker posted:

Whoooof