Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 4/9/04

oh here's another historical context note: This is kind of a hot topic at the time and place of publication: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Massachusetts (strip published five days after my own [straight] MA wedding, btw!)

Speaking of context, it's taken as given Corto Maltese is a mixture of "hey, that's accurate" and "hey, that's...hoo-leee poo poo, man" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Gotta say the doctor giving a pep talk about how you're still so young surprised me, so used to hearing about fairly terse doctors I expected this conversation end on a more downer note (I mean, more downer than "yeah its probably a miscarriage" already was)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Almost forgot that it's Sunday. Here's FoxTrot.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Caphi posted:

Leaving aside the obvious about how it's not history's biggest tragedy if someone doesn't have your perfect traditional wedding? Don't ship toddlers you weirdo.

I've seen this multiple times in my life and it made me extremely uncomfortable every single time.

Endless Mike posted:

This is what they ended up being, more or less. The actual original idea was that the mobile lounge would take you directly from the main terminal to your plane - you'd board directly from the mobile lounge. I'm unclear how long this actually lasted, or even if it was ever actually used that way, though there's definitely photos of it having been used that way:

In any case, flight volume became too great for this to really be viable, so they eventually built midfield concourses with regular jetways and now the mobile lounges are:

Mobile lounge is definitely the official name for what it's worth. Eero Saarinen included them in his original concept for the airport, and they were supposed to be a new, innovative concept to move people onto planes (as the comic says!). As it is, they're pretty dumpy and I think the plan is that once the new concourse D is built, they'll extend the AeroTrain to that and eliminate them entirely.

Getting off a crowded flight onto one of these things, then having to wait while it trundles you and the other sardine-passengers away is like a special kind of hell.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 10, 2024

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
as someone whose flights are constantly out of the D terminal of dulles (drat you united) i much prefer the goofy lounges to the aerotrain

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ronya posted:

nu Flash Gordon's pacing is a bit confusing, where it's clear the writer is in a hurry to move the plot along and yet it still has to do the weekend special "here's what you missed" recaps in case a reader only reads the Sunday funnies

I guess that comes from adhering to a newspaper format for a de facto web audience, where one can always read yesterday's strip by clicking a link. No short term memory loss recaps every day

ronya posted:

with newspaper funnies it's a given that the audience is not paying close attention to the medium, and also doesn't have ready access to past strips: hence repeated recaps every day. The larger full-colour Sunday strip summarizing the entire past week, potentially re-using the week's art, is specific to the medium

conversely, webcomics have an interested audience who will pick apart each strip before the next

I don't think Flash Gordon's pacing is bad, but I thought it remarkable that it's obviously the latter whilst leveraging the appearance of the former for nostalgic effect

Something worth remembering about comic strips is that the business model still presumably prioritizes newsprint--otherwise, nobody would've batted an eye when newspaper groups decided to drop their curated comics pages for a "one size fits all" solution across all their papers--and not all papers carry all seven days of a strip. In a lot of markets the Sunday recap strips are often the only point of contact, and I appreciate how Dan's upholding the industry standard in an original way.

By contrast, my local carried only the Sunday Funky Winkerbean in the strip's last few years, which (considering the way TomBat wrote his storylines) had to look like gibberish for people who weren't following the dailies somewhere else.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

bug death holiday comix

At Ellis Island They Will Be Renamed The Minnesota Vikings. But Today They Are Still Free And Unbound By Expectations to Assimilate As The Erobrers of Copenhagen

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

really liking this andertoons guest artist

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hoover Dam posted:

Speaking of context, it's taken as given Corto Maltese is a mixture of "hey, that's accurate" and "hey, that's...hoo-leee poo poo, man" right?

...could you expand upon this? I'm not sure I fully understand, sorry.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (March 13, 1977)

Behold, the last mention of Shermy in a Peanuts comic strip. His last in-panel appearance was June 15, 1969 (unless that's supposed to be him in the the November 9, 1975 strip, and I'm not convinced). I'd say we missed him, but...well...

He was the only kid with lines in the first strip, but there were three kids in that first strip, and he was the last one of them to be given a name. So it goes.

I remember one of my Mad Magazine collections had Shermy return to Peanuts to find they had all turned into yuppies. Can’t remember how it ended though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Powered Descent posted:

He attended Emerald City ComiCon this year and was signing books and chatting with fans at a small booth. My son loves his comics and so we bought his latest book and he signed it and put in a doodle for him too. Very nice guy.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

bug death holiday comix

Do you think the rabbit city has giant ventilation infrastructure to ensure that they don't all slowly succumb to the CO2 exhalations (let alone any other air pollutants) of apparently millions of rabbits? I thought about this for a second and realized that I had spent one second longer than Holbrook on his worldbuilding.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Samovar posted:

...could you expand upon this? I'm not sure I fully understand, sorry.

Not the most, uh, culturally sensitive depiction of Bahians/Afro-Brazilians. Did we go over this last time it was posted? I can't remember. Anyway, take Sureshot; dude is definitely dressed as a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cangaco but not drawn like one. Which goes along with the depictions in this comic of, well, everyone else who's not European.

if this is your translation, note capoeirista is the name for the practitioner; capoeira is the martial art; this line just makes it sound like they're being supervised by sexy dance fighting itself

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hoover Dam posted:

Not the most, uh, culturally sensitive depiction of Bahians/Afro-Brazilians. Did we go over this last time it was posted? I can't remember. Anyway, take Sureshot; dude is definitely dressed as a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cangaco but not drawn like one. Which goes along with the depictions in this comic of, well, everyone else who's not European.

if this is your translation, note capoeirista is the name for the practitioner; capoeira is the martial art; this line just makes it sound like they're being supervised by sexy dance fighting itself

Ah, fair dos. I suppose that's a valid critique, even if I am not sure how I feel about it re. Pratt's depictions. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

As for the translation, it is not my own, and I alas do not have the book on me to determine who is confused about the best type of Tekken martial art ever.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (September 14-16, 2005)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is pretty much the equivalent of giving Ted Bundy a designated place in Florida where he can roam freely.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

I Don't Think I've Ever Seen An IRL Wanted Poster, Crimestoppers

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

School contests: Teaching kids to never try.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

For the next week or so we’ll be getting into sometimes-gnarly descriptions of what it’s like to go through a miscarriage and get a curettage under local anaesthetic, so… heads up. (I’ll be timg’ing from tomorrow for that reason.)

Parsley in the Corner

quote:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think I'm gonna like Bok.

F Minus

Mark Trail

I did not know how to differentiate between crows and ravens until now.

Assuming Jules is right of course.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Flash Gordon

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Jesus Mary, why don't you just marry Keith if you love him so much?

Krazy Kat(December 1, 1918)

Gasoline Alley(November 2, 1919)

Little Nemo(April 26, 1908)

Here we go again.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

We assume that Glenn is referring to two Swiss balls. One to sit on while resting one’s thews during a quest, the other to trade for food, weapons, or information. Though the Swiss ball does not exist in the New Hyborian Age because Switzerland also does not exist. I cannot speak to the existence of yoga.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I don't think any comic encompasses wasted potential and talent as much as the Phantom. Always competent art when a guest artist isn't phoning it in, has hung on for nearly a century despite being the textbook definition of a generic pulp hero, takes its own ironclad lore seriously, clearly overthinks the writing of the plot to the point of grave fault.

And for what? Possibly the worst pacing in the entire medium, an action serial that avoids action religiously, lore in service of the most ridiculously tame and subdued "man of danger" imaginable who will spend literal decades avoiding meaningful change and now months of The Phantom, an alter ego, sucking off his imaginary alter ego for the sake of impressing his extrajudicial private army with the knowledge that that's right, he reads philosophy!!! How worldly, there's a globe and vintage nautical maps on his wall! My God, we are in service of a man who rivals the mightiest college seniors!

I just can't believe how impossibly dense and opposed to being entertaining this legacy IP is. How many people have labored in service of preserving the legacy? Has it ever been good? We all liked it when Sarvana was headlining but poo poo, that just goes to show how suffocating Phantom usually is, that somebody with a pulse and the willingness to shoot some guns is easily the best character you can see in the strip for years.

... Yeah, this Sunday strip framed something I've thought passively for years. For Gods sake, surely there has to be something to this character to not let him die off back in the 30s? We get 90 years of the Phantom but we can't find the Scarlet O'Neil reboot in any stores? :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I guess you had to be there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
A lot of bad legacy scrips can be summarized by saying "it's a story about how good and interesting the main character is, except the main character is actually bad and dull." Mary Worth, the Phantom, probably ten others, it works for all of them.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Rex Morgan isn't as hateable, but he makes up for it by being even more dull.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Murdstone posted:

I think I'm gonna like Bok.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Chap with wings there, five rounds rapid.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

A lot of bad legacy scrips can be summarized by saying "it's a story about how good and interesting the main character is, except the main character is actually bad and dull." Mary Worth, the Phantom, probably ten others, it works for all of them.

Mary Worth is a professional observer. She’s more like the cryptkeeper or Rod Serling. When’s the last time she meddled? When Wilbur was getting dumped?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Man, the most interesting things to come out of Mary Worth are things like the Wilbur popping into frame edits.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Greg/Billingsley is being super gross here. Curtis isn't obligated to like Chutney any more than Michelle is obligated to like him, that's not how poo poo works.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

That is a wonderful last panel both with and without context.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/10-12/52

7/10
7/11
7/12

Archie 10/20-22/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 3/29, 4/1-2/77

I managed to miss out the strip on the 29th yesterday, so just interpolate this one.

And back to the regular sequence ...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

EasyEW posted:

Something worth remembering about comic strips is that the business model still presumably prioritizes newsprint--otherwise, nobody would've batted an eye when newspaper groups decided to drop their curated comics pages for a "one size fits all" solution across all their papers--and not all papers carry all seven days of a strip. In a lot of markets the Sunday recap strips are often the only point of contact, and I appreciate how Dan's upholding the industry standard in an original way.

By contrast, my local carried only the Sunday Funky Winkerbean in the strip's last few years, which (considering the way TomBat wrote his storylines) had to look like gibberish for people who weren't following the dailies somewhere else.

I feel like the syndicates might be pursing a strategies of developing its IP portfolio for franchisable content and possible transitions to an inhouse subscription form a la webtoons, rather than merely playing intermediary between an established artist and newsprint

hence revitalizing Popeye or Nancy (or Flash Gordon) by poaching webcomic artists looking to pivot

we are not privy to the contractual deals but it wouldn't shock me if these revivals are paid essentially salary irrespective of distribution, and conversely the new artists "write for the trade" instead of for the daily format

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I don't think any comic encompasses wasted potential and talent as much as the Phantom. Always competent art when a guest artist isn't phoning it in, has hung on for nearly a century despite being the textbook definition of a generic pulp hero, takes its own ironclad lore seriously, clearly overthinks the writing of the plot to the point of grave fault.

And for what? Possibly the worst pacing in the entire medium, an action serial that avoids action religiously, lore in service of the most ridiculously tame and subdued "man of danger" imaginable who will spend literal decades avoiding meaningful change and now months of The Phantom, an alter ego, sucking off his imaginary alter ego for the sake of impressing his extrajudicial private army with the knowledge that that's right, he reads philosophy!!! How worldly, there's a globe and vintage nautical maps on his wall! My God, we are in service of a man who rivals the mightiest college seniors!

I just can't believe how impossibly dense and opposed to being entertaining this legacy IP is. How many people have labored in service of preserving the legacy? Has it ever been good? We all liked it when Sarvana was headlining but poo poo, that just goes to show how suffocating Phantom usually is, that somebody with a pulse and the willingness to shoot some guns is easily the best character you can see in the strip for years.

... Yeah, this Sunday strip framed something I've thought passively for years. For Gods sake, surely there has to be something to this character to not let him die off back in the 30s? We get 90 years of the Phantom but we can't find the Scarlet O'Neil reboot in any stores? :v:

One of the writers of the scandinavian version of the Phantom, Eirik Ildahl, felt the same way. He thought the character was a boring racist and that he was selling his soul a bit writing the character.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doomykins posted:

The current writer had a really good run with the entire multi-story arc in which Savarna was introduced, but hasn't done anything worthwhile since. Much like how the current Dick Tracy team had one good story at the beginning of their run, and Jules Rivera showed some potential when she took over Mark Trail. It remains to be seen whether Flash Gordon will still be viewed positively in a year's time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

And back to the regular sequence ...

lol, Winthrop is such a useless coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Alhazred posted:

One of the writers of the scandinavian version of the Phantom, Eirik Ildahl, felt the same way. He thought the character was a boring racist and that he was selling his soul a bit writing the character.

Tragic. What did Lee Falk have on everyone to push this guy so much? Were the first few years of the Phantom red-hot? And I wonder if he has a different market overseas, like how Disney comics and Donald Duck(and his superhero identities most Americans couldn't name) are bigger in Europe.

Thinking about it the Phantom reminds me of when you see a flood of somebody's OC among a crowd of deviant art artists and know their owner just got a fat paycheck recently, lol. Who bankrolls the Phantom? Or is there a silent majority of old time Phantom fans who really do lean back, cup their chins to match his in-strip posture and think "Yessir, Phantom really has control of this situation, just like always!" Is somebody reading these Sunday strips and actually being impressed?

Edit: Googling a bit it seems Phantom quality rises dramatically in different formats like comic books. We're reading the worst version that lets the author drag things out, most likely.

Tiggum posted:

The current writer had a really good run with the entire multi-story arc in which Savarna was introduced, but hasn't done anything worthwhile since. Much like how the current Dick Tracy team had one good story at the beginning of their run, and Jules Rivera showed some potential when she took over Mark Trail. It remains to be seen whether Flash Gordon will still be viewed positively in a year's time.

drat I hope Dan doesn't falter. It's really a shame how many of these strips just coast along.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 11, 2024