Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

LGD posted:

confirming that the ixalan precons are excellent choices - all offer good value, are relatively even power-level wise (despite some differences), play well out of the box, have coherent themes and not too many mechanics (on a commander scale), and are all pretty amenable to inexpensive (or expensive) upgrades if they really fall in love with a given tribe

e: the other recent decks that I think work best as a set out of the box are probably still the Universes Beyond 40k decks, but I think they're mechanically more complicated than the LCI decks and the whole 40k tie-in thing might not be the best introduction to Magic as Magic - they'd still be my second pick for this purpose if there are sourcing issues with LCI or you want a second "battle box" experience

The Ruinous Powers absolutely does not play well out of the box. It's all over the place, which works thematically, and there are a tone of excellent cards, but I had to almost completely dismantle it to make a workable Abaddon deck that focuses on table-wide ping damage and cascade.

It's one of my favorite decks though, for sure. Bad Donny fucks once you get him going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LGD posted:

confirming that the ixalan precons are excellent choices - all offer good value, are relatively even power-level wise (despite some differences), play well out of the box, have coherent themes and not too many mechanics (on a commander scale), and are all pretty amenable to inexpensive (or expensive) upgrades if they really fall in love with a given tribe

e: the other recent decks that I think work best as a set out of the box are probably still the Universes Beyond 40k decks, but I think they're mechanically more complicated than the LCI decks and the whole 40k tie-in thing might not be the best introduction to Magic as Magic - they'd still be my second pick for this purpose if there are sourcing issues with LCI or you want a second "battle box" experience

If we're talking Universes Beyond, Doctor Who is pretty solid in terms of across-the-board power level if you can get all of them. They definitely get more complicated, but with an experienced player to help track things, they're all pretty solid, although there's definitely a learning curve to some of them; the Thirteenth Doctor precon is a trial by loving fire for a new player, because there's a real difficulty with proper sequencing, while with the other decks the struggle is more just remembering to keep track of everything.

The new Fallout precons look like they're probably pretty balanced in relation to each other, too, and aren't packing anything too overly complicated. But I sort of predict that there might be a lesser version of the Masters of Evil problem, because it sounds like the Mothman deck is stuffed full of individual cards that are gonna be really sought after, so there's probably gonna be a single deck that's harder to find.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 8, 2024

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
probably picking up the mothman and caesar precons. just upgraded a food and fellowship precon, excited to make tokens lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finished upgrading my Necron Commander deck with this

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/warhammer-40-000-precon-upgrade-guide-necron-dynasties-30

:tipshat:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I just got home with my Fallout deck preorder (still going to the actual launch event tomorrow, because I have to finagle a copy of Wild Wasteland somehow), and holy poo poo the Survivors deck is cracked. I knew it had some good cards, but this is genuinely hard to pick out the stars of. I need to go to that launch event solely to see which of these cards aren't as good as they look, because they can't possibly be.

Also, whoever came up with that idea for the Path of Ancestry art had to have felt like a goddamn genius. And they're right to.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My fallout decks aren't showing up till the 11th but I also only paid $193.43 instead of $240 so...

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I was lucky to stumble onto Commander Anthology Volume II when I first started playing Standard. It is a mostly balanced set out of the box. I upgraded the giants to make it more balanced but otherwise haven't touched the other decks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cleretic posted:

I just got home with my Fallout deck preorder (still going to the actual launch event tomorrow, because I have to finagle a copy of Wild Wasteland somehow), and holy poo poo the Survivors deck is cracked. I knew it had some good cards, but this is genuinely hard to pick out the stars of. I need to go to that launch event solely to see which of these cards aren't as good as they look, because they can't possibly be.

I'm at least picking up that deck because apparently, I'm only buying Red/Green/White decks now that I'm playing commander.

Forgot to mention in this thread that I finally played commander for the first time a couple weeks ago and had a lot of fun. Cats and Dogs didn't do much, but my Dinosaurs held their own quite well. I haven't played much Magic in the last twenty years, but I didn't feel out of my depth.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

here's mine if you wanna compare

szarech is whatever, but having a source of card draw (and self mill) in the command zone is always handy in a pinch. will prolly swap him out with illuminor szeras eventually and put szarech in the 99

e: currently trying to squeeze in skullclamp

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 9, 2024

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Got a chance to play Agent Frank Horrigan on the first time playing the mothman deck and the endorphins I felt when I won was incredible.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

For those who don't mind leaks: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1b9v1je/outlaws_of_thunder_junction_prerelease_kit_otj/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
After playing a couple games with the Dogmeat deck and finding the sauce that the Thirteenth Doctor can use more (mostly junk token stuff), I'm realizing that Dogmeat itself is kinda too good to just dismantle for parts, so I'm now trying to figure out what I could replace things with.

I've found a combo that I think is some kind of sauce, built out of one of the worst cards for Thirteen's deck: Dan Lewis, whose whole thing is turning all noncreature artifacts into equipment. In Thirteen's precon that didn't even make any sense, there is a sub-theme of 'make a goddamn mountain of token artifacts' but equipping them for +1 doesn't make much sense. But Dogmeat is an equipment deck, and I'm immediately realizing some weird combos. Codsworth can tap for literally any artifact, Mister Gutsy gets a +1 counter any time any artifact hits the board. Masterwork of Ingenuity can copy loving anything.

Is there other stuff that can use this specific, weird combo? Am I actually onto something?

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 9, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Put Jaheira in and they all can tap to equip themselves

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I’m gonna 1v1 the dogmeat and moth man decks later today completely stock, excited for those false god fifth land drops :sickos:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just had an epiphany for the mothman deck that no one on EDHrec has included for it: scurry oak and herd baloth

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Cool Post Beg posted:

I’m gonna 1v1 the dogmeat and moth man decks later today completely stock, excited for those false god fifth land drops :sickos:

Did a release event at the LGS with the stock precons, before G1 the pod was complaining about Temple of the False God being in so many decks, I dropped it on T5 and eventually won :clint:

All the decks felt explosive when they did their thing but Mothman felt by far the most consistent, second game switched to The Master just so the other decks could focus on doing things other than removing Mothman as soon as possible.

e: for the record the whole pod swapped Temple out for the promo War Room we were given after the first game

Koopa Kid fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 9, 2024

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Temple is great if you're running enough lands and have some land ramp, people being so down on it is very silly to me. I don't put it in every deck, but if you're in green you should probably be running Temple.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Someone just gave me these two cards and I need to change my pants.

:getin:

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Speaking of cool Playtest commanders:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVeBlzqa79I
I like Rebell a lot and this is a cool commander IMO.
I want to make one with my own card pool web app.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Had some great kitchen table magic with good food and friends. Won one with my Rad Mothman deck and was able to bring out Frank again with +9+9 counters on it. Frank would be good for an Atraxa deck and I feel like this deck is an alternative to the atraxa playstyle.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I just finished upgrading Dogmeat with about 30 or so swaps. It’s interesting the many ways you can actually go with this deck. Voltron, go wide equip/auras, junk tokens/cast from exile. My upgrades included something I haven’t seen a lot of focus on, which is recovering from boardwipes and removal. The deck will be heavy on equipment and auras no matter what, so wipes absolutely destroy it. Swapping out bigger cost creatures for more CMC 3 and under critters that can be brought back with the likes of Teshar and Sun Titan seems like a smart plan.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What are some good upgrades for the Dogmeat deck that mostly stick with the Fallout theme?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Open Marriage Night posted:

What are some good upgrades for the Dogmeat deck that mostly stick with the Fallout theme?

Like I said before, there's some decent co-synergy with the Doctor Who set that doesn't go too far against the theming; they're not completely compatible, but they don't look out-of-place together in the way that, say, the Eldraine-sourced upgrades do. Chewing on theming specifically (and sticking to more recent sets since I know them better), Dogmeat's deck probably wouldn't look too far apart alongside some New Capenna, Kamigawa or possibly even a select few Karlov Manor cards; granted, the only mechanical synergy I know comes from those is that Karlov Manor had some pretty nice white and red auras that would go nicely there. They'll all look a little conspicuous, though, the 'wasteland wanderer' angle doesn't match a lot of Magic. Bloomburrow and Thunder Junction show some promise, though.

That said, I feel like that's almost a Dogmeat-specific problem, the other Fallout decks don't have it. Caesar is basically a perfect fit for Mardu's aesthetic anyway, and the Mothman deck's general angle towards the wasteland's pestilence and chaos gives it a lot of company alongside a lot of stuff with similar theming, like a bunch of the Wilds of Eldraine cards and, while I haven't checked, probably a lot of Brothers War and Phyrexia, which probably also suit the science deck pretty well.

EDIT: I brought this up to a friend and she suggested Tarkir cards for the Dogmeat deck. The tone isn't quite there, but the content is.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 11, 2024

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I second what Cleretic said above, but I have a few that might work for you, depending on how defined you want the theme to be and how willing you are to be lenient.

Brilliant Restoration is useful in a deck like this, and that concept/naming is generic enough I'm almost surprised to not see it show up with new art and flavor text here.

Thran Power Suit is pretty similar conceptually to Power Armor, so that may also work for you.

Ancestral Mask is generically named enough that, like Brilliant Restoration above, you may be able to make it work. Lizard Blades is also cool but that one might be pushing it.

For reference, all of the cards I've mentioned above are in my version of the deck.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm shocked that ancestral mask didn't get a reprint with art of the busted T-51 helmet from the fallout 2 loading screen.

Also I really want to build a version of Prof's Three Dog boros auras deck, it sounds crazy fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf3C8L1Yy2w

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 11, 2024

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've played enough games to decode the true tier list for Commander. Ranking decks with a number is fake bullshit, here's the real tiers:

-Never stood a chance, but harmless
-Looks dangerous at a glance, actually easy to stop
-Never stood a chance, but can affect the game
-Can reliably get in a position to threaten lethal, still might not
-Can reliably take out an opponent
-Can win out of nowhere
-'This deck never plays this well, I swear'

I feel pretty proud that my weird jalopy of a pet deck, Thirteenth Doctor and Ryan Sinclair, has successfully reached that middle tier. Not bad for barely knowing the card pool and starting with a kinda bad precon.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I've been rating my commander decks as "loses to slivers" and "can sometimes beat slivers"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I'm triggered

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
did a precon game of shorikai, mishra, and lathril with my brother and his daughter. that eleven year old curb stomped us with elves and i must get revenge. I'm not mad, you're mad.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
After pulling apart my lathril deck to make a Grist deck I've come back to pick up all the random elves into a Voja deck. Still need to fit the last card in and I'm not sure what card I would eldritch evolution into so that is probably another cut.

Does anyone have a mid tier deck to compare mine against? The ones I see on moxfield seem to skew cEDH or 50 creature monstrosities.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Party Miser posted:

did a precon game of shorikai, mishra, and lathril with my brother and his daughter. that eleven year old curb stomped us with elves and i must get revenge. I'm not mad, you're mad.

TBF Lathril is one of the best no-tweaks precons.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MasterBuilder posted:

Does anyone have a mid tier deck to compare mine against? The ones I see on moxfield seem to skew cEDH or 50 creature monstrosities.
From how the edhrec folks were talking about Voja, just searching anything that includes another Wolf will filter you down from the peak.

Cleretic posted:

-Can win out of nowhere
I'm working on one of these decks. Five 10 second turns, then a 10 minute turn where I flip my deck over onto the battlefield and claim victory. Mono-U proliferating and drawing.

What's a mono-blue wincon that isn't drawing the deck out?

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

JawnV6 posted:

Psychosis Crawler (+ Soldevi Digger and a discard outlet in case crawler was in the bottom 40 of your deck 😛)

Still draws the deck out, but doesn’t use Thoracle if that’s what you were getting at.

Or good old Gobin Cannon.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

generatrix posted:

Psychosis Crawler (+ Soldevi Digger and a discard outlet in case crawler was in the bottom 40 of your deck 😛)

Still draws the deck out, but doesn’t use Thoracle if that’s what you were getting at.

Or good old Gobin Cannon.

The one win with this deck so far was Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, so I'm not totally opposed to it? But I'd rather *do* something like Radstorm up poison counters than draw out.

Psychosis Crawler's great, thanks!

Cannon seems a little trickier, I'm resolving Omniscience or similar effects not making infinite mana.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Mono-U can do all kinds of wincons, but if your game plan is laying down Omniscience then drawing your entire deck is going to be the simplest by far.

Slightly less cheaty-feeling is going big with token generators (either static like Shark Typhoon, or spell based like Commence the Endgame), especially if you have extra turn spells to push the damage through before people can react after you have a big turn. Then again, extra turn spells make people about as salty as Thorcale but if you have 50 cards in hand you should be winning shortly no matter which deck you're playing.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Cleretic posted:

I've played enough games to decode the true tier list for Commander. Ranking decks with a number is fake bullshit, here's the real tiers:

-Never stood a chance, but harmless
-Looks dangerous at a glance, actually easy to stop
-Never stood a chance, but can affect the game
-Can reliably get in a position to threaten lethal, still might not
-Can reliably take out an opponent
-Can win out of nowhere

I feel pretty proud that my weird jalopy of a pet deck, Thirteenth Doctor and Ryan Sinclair, has successfully reached that middle tier. Not bad for barely knowing the card pool and starting with a kinda bad precon.

I bet “never plays this well” tier is entirely predicated on fast mana, smothering tithe, and/or Rhystic study.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mine is more like it should do this more often but never does and loving finally.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Balon posted:

I bet “never plays this well” tier is entirely predicated on fast mana, smothering tithe, and/or Rhystic study.

My old, clunky, Riku deck has "never plays this well" a few times. I did something like Sol Ring -> Farhaven Elf -> Conjurer's Closet -> Deadeye Navigator -> Seedborn Muse and then just fetched all my basics out on my opponents' turns. That ended with an early Avenger of Zendikar + Craterhoof.

I've also had a turn 3 Lurking Predators just go unanswered and get a ton of hits.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Mine is more like it should do this more often but never does and loving finally.

I have a Snow themed deck I remember packing several wincons into but whenever I actually play the deck I end up scrying away everytime I scry and the deck seems to scry better than it does get tons of mana to dump into things I never seem to have. I did once make a Martin Lage but I did not win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JawnV6 posted:

making your opponents bounce all the permanants on the board, so they either sit there and watch baral take 60 turns to kill you or you just go "nah next game"