Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mycot posted:

The main pointers for that quest are (general spoilers for the whole game):
1) If/when you finally save the Duke he will straight up tell you the secret of Wyrm's Rock
2) If counselor Florrick is alive (you saved her from the burning building in Act 1) and you did the quest to free her from prison in Act 3 she will eventually have a rather heated confrontation with Wyll, ending with telling him to investigate Wyrm's Rock.

That would explain it, due to my quest order decisions I had both of them die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Sorry bruv, everyone you cared about snuffed it

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Medullah posted:

Alright I'm largely trying to explore and find stuff on my own but I heard from a friend that there was a (Act 3 near the end) Bone Dragon, and I hadn't seen ANYTHING hinting towards that so I was weak and googled where to find him. I was able to get through the puzzles fairly easily, but how in the hell did anyone figure out that you had to electrocute the torches to open the hidden gate to his lair? I don't remember reading any hints or anything that would lead me to try that.

I think the type of dragon is kind of a hint too? If you know what sort of dragon he is and know that they have lightning breath, just like the dragonborn if you choose one of that type

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mycot posted:

The main pointers for that quest are (general spoilers for the whole game):
1) If/when you finally save the Duke he will straight up tell you the secret of Wyrm's Rock
2) If counselor Florrick is alive (you saved her from the burning building in Act 1) and you did the quest to free her from prison in Act 3 she will eventually have a rather heated confrontation with Wyll, ending with telling him to investigate Wyrm's Rock.

For point 2 you don't even need Wyll. She'll tell Tav. Although it did involve a Persuasion check IIRC to not be on her bad side out of nowhere because she's a gullible fool who believes lies about you.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
in one run before I saved florrick some random noble women came and yelled at wyll and we passed a persuasion check and got the quest deets

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Wow, magic missile really made the Orin fight a bit of a pushover. That and Owlbear Jaheria coming in for a landing.

At first, I reluctantly benched Karlach for her to get more city content, but I think Jaheria might be my favourite companion. Her character is great, but the tools she gets in her default setup are where she really shines for me, Guidance and Enhance Ability for rolls, having a few ccs to compliment Gale and my lore bard Tav, and wild shape for exploration/ aforementioned dropping on enemies from a height

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Kinda disappointed he who was didn’t make an appearance in act 3 somewhere

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
On my Durge run I made the dead snitch stab 'herself', then when dude came round he was like AG YOU'VE KILLED ME, when it's like bro you're such a freak I thought you'd be into that? And then when he attacked me he'd lost like 10HP out of 98. Literally just have a kip and stop being such a bitch!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

On a durge run and I killed the strange ox in the Grove (usually I kill him in act 3). Was looking up info about it and saw an old post saying dammon disappears from act 2 if you kill the ox in act 1. Is this still a thing? I'll have to reload a very old save if so.

I was looking forward to seeing his act 3 quest to conclusion on this play through once I learned that not all dialogue options result in killing him. But then I didn’t even notice the stupid loving apple on the ground and when I went into the Lower City it auto failed :argh: I assumed the item went into my inventory not onto the ground in a spot I couldn’t even see. It’s also dumb as hell that I can’t go back and pick it up for quest credit. It’s still right there! Game literally unplayable

Zodium posted:

doing my hm run with a bunch of personal rules like no pickpocketing, and I never realized how much discount you can work up until I couldn't just steal whatever I wanted. the 1/LR envoy's amulet with +2 persuasion is actually really good now! I have -131% discount with my friendly vendors Dammon, Talli and Tarv. :3:

My tav is a sorcerer with I think 24 CHA through various means and I have a -200% discount with Dammon lmao. I had to respec at some point and took advantage of buying cheap max approval at level 1.

My only regret is that he doesn’t have much gold so I can’t even sell him more than a couple random pieces of armor before he’s broke again. If he had deeper pockets… I would have an even more absurd amount of gold I guess

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

On my Durge run I made the dead snitch stab 'herself', then when dude came round he was like AG YOU'VE KILLED ME, when it's like bro you're such a freak I thought you'd be into that? And then when he attacked me he'd lost like 10HP out of 98. Literally just have a kip and stop being such a bitch!

There are also multiple outcomes for this.

One stab: good enough, creep loses 5 HP but teleports away when the conversation ends. Breaks Ancients & Devotion Oath.
Two stabs: too far, creep loses 10 HP and fights back when the conversation ends. Another way to break Ancients & Devotion Oath.
Shame: acceptable, nobody takes physical damage. Yet another way to break Ancients & Devotion Oath.
Forgive: creep immediately turns hostile, no raven gloves rewarded. Breaks Vengeance Oath.
Suggest stabbing and then instantly backpedaling: creep immediately turns hostile, no raven gloves rewarded. This also breaks Vengeance Oath :v:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Sorry bruv, everyone you cared about snuffed it

I'm still upset that Gorion's ward by necessity has to be dead and his bitch rear end dad is back. Wish I could murder that guy!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

EorayMel posted:

One stab: good enough, creep loses 5 HP but teleports away when the conversation ends. Breaks Ancients & Devotion Oath.
Two stabs: too far, creep loses 10 HP and fights back when the conversation ends. Another way to break Ancients & Devotion Oath.
Shame: acceptable, nobody takes physical damage. Yet another way to break Ancients & Devotion Oath.
Forgive: creep immediately turns hostile, no raven gloves rewarded. Breaks Vengeance Oath.
Suggest stabbing and then instantly backpedaling: creep immediately turns hostile, no raven gloves rewarded. This also breaks Vengeance Oath :v:
Who are we talking about stabbing here…?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The murdered lie silent. The raven asks - will you be their voice?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

EorayMel posted:

If you're multiclassed, the Bard options don't break any oaths.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My gaming laptop is only two years old and runs the game smoothly, but by golly the fan starts working overtime. Sounds like the laptop is going to take off.

It’s odd because the game sets itself to ultra when I use the “determine preferred graphics settings”. But even when I lower the graphics the laptop just whirrrrrrs away.

Diagnostic software indicates the comp gets to mid 70s temp with spikes above.

I usually play games like heroes of the storm so I’m not used to the fans going so hard. Unsure if the temps get high because I haven’t previously checked with previous games.

But other than that the first 30 minutes of the game have been super fun so far! A bit daunting and overwhelming but still fun lol

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

EorayMel posted:

The murdered lie silent. The raven asks - will you be their voice?

What is the lore around this dude? Is he just a one off idea or is there a group of weird guys in this world who seek vengeance on various dead people?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Best Friends posted:

What is the lore around this dude? Is he just a one off idea or is there a group of weird guys in this world who seek vengeance on various dead people?
the lore is actually interesting, he used to follow the Raven Queen, fading patron of the shadow elves (different from drow!) and hungry for any memories that they bring her

if you listen to him talking to his raven you'll hear that he abandoned her, probably because he took an oath of vengeance or similar (no idea why he would do that)

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
That's interesting I just figured he was another shadow druid, knowing nothing about them other that they seem to be emo druids.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My gaming laptop is only two years old and runs the game smoothly, but by golly the fan starts working overtime. Sounds like the laptop is going to take off.

It’s odd because the game sets itself to ultra when I use the “determine preferred graphics settings”. But even when I lower the graphics the laptop just whirrrrrrs away.

Diagnostic software indicates the comp gets to mid 70s temp with spikes above.

I usually play games like heroes of the storm so I’m not used to the fans going so hard. Unsure if the temps get high because I haven’t previously checked with previous games.

But other than that the first 30 minutes of the game have been super fun so far! A bit daunting and overwhelming but still fun lol

For most systems temps into the 70s are totally normal, try using the frame limiter though because BG3 is uncharacteristically hard on the CPU for a video game.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It’s very funny to me that a guy is standing on top of what’s basically one giant mass grave of a town and going “you know I got a real bone to pick here. with exactly one person. who was only very slightly involved in a very small fraction of what happened here. Also they’re already dead. No, I have absolutely no relation to her or anyone else here, why do you ask?”

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

That's interesting I just figured he was another shadow druid, knowing nothing about them other that they seem to be emo druids.

Shadow Druids are basically the Earth First movement of the druid world; they prioritize nature above intelligent life, sometimes to the point of trying to destroy settlements that they see as encroaching on the natural world. I think there are a couple of books to that effect somewhere in the game, but nobody really goes out of their way to explain what their whole deal is if you don't find those.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

shadow druids are basically the ted kaczynski school of magic.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Best Friends posted:

It’s very funny to me that a guy is standing on top of what’s basically one giant mass grave of a town and going “you know I got a real bone to pick here. with exactly one person. who was only very slightly involved in a very small fraction of what happened here. Also they’re already dead. No, I have absolutely no relation to her or anyone else here, why do you ask?”

He doesn't really give a poo poo about the particulars, he's just a pervert. You can say that to his face and he's like yea. by that point you've already helped him so it's a bit late to be worrying about motivations

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

He doesn't really give a poo poo about the particulars, he's just a pervert. You can say that to his face and he's like yea. by that point you've already helped him so it's a bit late to be worrying about motivations

This is also why people play Ace Attorney, except instead of the turmoil of actual experiential guilt tormenting the dead it's the physical explosions of culprits being blown up by facts and logic (real)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I always make him stab himself, "he who was" indeed bitch!!!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

played all the way through honor mode (after losing my last honor mode save at Orin), smoked Raphael and Orin, made a deal with gortash and had gale blow himself up to win only to get the tactician victory achievement (but not honor mode) and no golden dice. we’re done here.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
at that point I would simply cheat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i would simply not care about it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

buffalo all day posted:

played all the way through honor mode (after losing my last honor mode save at Orin), smoked Raphael and Orin, made a deal with gortash and had gale blow himself up to win only to get the tactician victory achievement (but not honor mode) and no golden dice. we’re done here.

Do you remember if you've had a crash for any reason in your campaign? I have this pet theory that that breaks HM saves.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

For most systems temps into the 70s are totally normal, try using the frame limiter though because BG3 is uncharacteristically hard on the CPU for a video game.

Thank you friend, I appreciate your effort and wisdom.

Excited to try this after work!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ZearothK posted:

Do you remember if you've had a crash for any reason in your campaign? I have this pet theory that that breaks HM saves.

lol, that would be hilariously sad if true. How does anyone go through an entire game without crashing once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had a crash during my first successful HM run and it didn't break the achievement. I think if that were actually true you'd see a ton of reddit posts about it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Perhaps op had dozens of “crashes”

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

bird with big dick posted:

Ah yes, just like how my HM campaign seemed to crash whenever I got really low on health in dire situations. Darn those pesky crashes! (still got the achievement though)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

bird with big dick posted:

rude. nah I had a hilariously overpowered lineup with a monk and barb thrower, pretty much waltzed through (after failing miserably multiple times in the past). I went back to this save after the Orin failure, so maybe it got weirded out by my having an intervening run?

No idea, and yeah idc about the dice at this point. Just think it’s weird that the save says honor mode but it doesn’t necessarily mean it counts as honor mode.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the lore is actually interesting, he used to follow the Raven Queen, fading patron of the shadow elves (different from drow!) and hungry for any memories that they bring her

if you listen to him talking to his raven you'll hear that he abandoned her, probably because he took an oath of vengeance or similar (no idea why he would do that)

Yeah I went and looked it up cause (probably like a lot of people) I was like who the gently caress is this complete weirdo.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Shadar-kai_(elf)

I guess they serve the Raven Queen by helping her collect memories of tragedy which is her fetish. Very normal things.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So I'm sitting on a ton of Infernal Iron along with Enriched Infernal Iron in late Act 3. I go to Dammon with Karlach and there's no dialogue options for further upgrades, and her story is showing complete on my quest list - is there anything to do with it other than sell it?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Medullah posted:

So I'm sitting on a ton of Infernal Iron along with Enriched Infernal Iron in late Act 3. I go to Dammon with Karlach and there's no dialogue options for further upgrades, and her story is showing complete on my quest list - is there anything to do with it other than sell it?

I think he makes one complete armor set and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Next question. This round I'm playing easy so it doesn't really matter much, but I want to get a better understanding of the systems. Looking at my Druid, picked two different weapons - a staff with Shillelagh activated and a mace. She has proficiency in both.

Looking at the Mace it shows the damage on the item screen as 10-20 and the staff as 7-14 damage, however on the actual character sheet they show identical Attack Bonus and Damage. Is the attack bonus rating not taking the 1d6 poison from the Mace into effect?