Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

My recent favorites

For all The killer mains out there who don't play survivor and wind up thinking "solo queue can't be that bad, survivors just suck and are whiny", this post right here. This is why it's that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

This wasn't even solo queue! This was all duos :sparkles: The person busy being chased while I'm on the hook/the ground in these shots is my duos pal. Which makes it even funnier sometimes.

"Uh... why are you still on the hook? Did no one get you during my whole chase???"
"Dwight is doing a gen 5 feet away from me and Meg is vibing across the map."
"What"

To be fair, my friend isn't super experienced yet so we're at a lower MMR, which explains SOME of the boneheaded moves from our team, but not all. Sometimes DBD feels like dragging your team kicking and screaming to victory.

Relyssa posted:

I am very much enjoying vigil + sprint burst lately. All zoomies all the time, and killers get really mad when they barely miss an exposed window because it was shorter than they expected it to be.
Vigil+Dramaturgy is so funny. I love hamming the Mario Kart powerup roulette button throughout the match

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Vigil+Dramaturgy is so funny. I love hamming the Mario Kart powerup roulette button throughout the match

That's always a staple I fall back on when I really just want to gently caress around. I generated three BNPs in one game once.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Tiny Myers posted:

Please take a look at this clip that one of Otz's mods sent me on PTB stream day when she and another mod made builds dedicated to screaming as much as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X-k3XR5J8g

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

curiousTerminal posted:

Please take a look at this clip that one of Otz's mods sent me on PTB stream day when she and another mod made builds dedicated to screaming as much as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X-k3XR5J8g

holy poo poo

The choice of Lisa specifically is absolutely sending me. Some of the best shrieks in the game.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

The choice of Lisa specifically is absolutely sending me. Some of the best shrieks in the game.

Rose (one of the Alan legendaries) gives her a run for her money for sure, but Lisa is still the champion of "jesus christ did they actually hurt the VA for that"
There's one Claudette scream that's pretty visceral too.

Ironically once they started hiring metal vocalists for the survivors, the screams got a lot faker sounding. Mikaela's voiced by the vocalist for Seven Spires and despite how good she is at screaming for metal, Mikaela's got some of the fakest sounding hook screams (and coughs lmao) in the game.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

curiousTerminal posted:

Rose (one of the Alan legendaries) gives her a run for her money for sure, but Lisa is still the champion of "jesus christ did they actually hurt the VA for that"
There's one Claudette scream that's pretty visceral too.

Ironically once they started hiring metal vocalists for the survivors, the screams got a lot faker sounding. Mikaela's voiced by the vocalist for Seven Spires and despite how good she is at screaming for metal, Mikaela's got some of the fakest sounding hook screams (and coughs lmao) in the game.

Alan's screams are also absolutely peak, tbh. His voice acting work is really loving awesome as someone who's never played Alan Wake myself. I haven't heard Rose yet really, only saw her once in the game.

Also I feel like the metal vocalist choice was really good if even just for Riley McShane, Leon's VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUJlJGimJY

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

curiousTerminal posted:

I mean...it's lore accurate! Is there anyone in the Silent Hill franchise who got a rawer deal than Lisa?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tiny Myers posted:

Alan's screams are also absolutely peak, tbh. His voice acting work is really loving awesome as someone who's never played Alan Wake myself. I haven't heard Rose yet really, only saw her once in the game.

Also I feel like the metal vocalist choice was really good if even just for Riley McShane, Leon's VA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUJlJGimJY

I had to look it up and they actually got Matt Poretta to do the vocals for DbD? Holy poo poo. Must have been part of the contract.

If you enjoy horror at all, highly recommend you play Alan Wake 2. You get a cliff notes of the first game's plot at one point in game so you don't need to have seen or played it.

And if you don't enjoy the combat just slap it on easy and enjoy the story's ride.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uh6ssdAQU

Vile Scott with the best takes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Medullah posted:

I mean...it's lore accurate! Is there anyone in the Silent Hill franchise who got a rawer deal than Lisa?

yeah, the Silent Hill franchise itself lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah, the Silent Hill franchise itself lol

I don't know what you're talking about, the Silent Hill franchise is a perfect series. 4 entries, 4 perfect games. A lot of other games would have tried to keep going but I respect them for stopping with The Room and never releasing a single other game yep none exist

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: HIT THE LEVER! :siren:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got out of a Dredge match where 3 of the 4 people (seemed to be a three man) all had distortion, breakdown, and ironwill or calm spirit. I felt like I was going crazy but still won without too much trouble since they were not taking it very seriously but whatt an annoying set of perks lol

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

starting to understand why windows is the most used survivor perk by a wide margin

knowing where pallets are at all times is so useful to avoid getting yourself caught in a dead zone and no amount of map knowledge is going to let you know ahead of time which pallets are gone already

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Windows is annoying for the same reason Distortion is. Used properly its a tool that is not very powerful on its own, but can be used by good people to better control the flow of the game.
Used improperly Windows will have you beeline from pallet to pallet on chase 1 and waste all the map resources at once. Used improperly Distortion will kill your teammates because you won't take pressure or communicate to them when to hide.

I'm bad at running, so I use Distortion to make sure I'm taking pressure in the midgame when it's less valuable to hook someone new. I've seen SO many soloQ teammates use it to fully avoid the killer and get my teammates killed without so much as getting seen.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
I wish the Killers had more way to communicate with the survivore because let me tell ya that finding a hatch for a survivor with a half working headphone is hard. Also I met these people, who were very nice!

(I almost killed Hex: Homosexual but the Claudette was very good.)

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

curiousTerminal posted:

Used improperly Windows will have you beeline from pallet to pallet on chase 1 and waste all the map resources at once. Used improperly Distortion will kill your teammates because you won't take pressure or communicate to them when to hide.

I'm bad at running, so I use Distortion to make sure I'm taking pressure in the midgame when it's less valuable to hook someone new. I've seen SO many soloQ teammates use it to fully avoid the killer and get my teammates killed without so much as getting seen.

There isn't really a wrong way of using windows because like you said, if you're bad and can't loop regardless you can just go knock it down and run to the next one. Either way you're still taking more time from the killer than they would have otherwise and good players are going to loop to better tiles using downed pallets anyways so it's not that bad if you're not getting downed and are wasting the killers time.

Distortion i cant speak for because i feel i get far more value out of Off The Record for staying away from the killer (being hidden for the duration while finding a heal/healing/going for cheeky rescues/finishing a critical gen) and then being visible after when I'm in better condition to take a chase.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

OxMan posted:

There isn't really a wrong way of using windows because like you said, if you're bad and can't loop regardless you can just go knock it down and run to the next one.
You can use Windows bad by just, beelining to the nearest yellow thing. Sure a pallet drop is gonna buy anyone time, but if you can't play the pallets or windows it's not gonna do poo poo for you. You can drop all the pallets you want against Swift Hunt Windstorm Wraith, but if the map safety is anywhere below "predropping gideon" level you are hosed. You'll run out of pallets, you'll gently caress over a teammate, I'll get pressure because I'm running Pop goes the Weasel. Pallets are stronger than windows for sure but they can be deleted. Windows is a perk that makes decent survivors good and good survivors better. It's what all perks should be, minus the 1k hour requirement for effective use.

That said, it is still a crutch. I notice when a killer can't get more than one hit and start noting totem locations for NOED, I notice when a survivor can't loop and simply runs in a straight line from window to window to window to pallet to window to pallet to pallet to window. If a survivor is using Windows badly, I can turn that into a detriment by making them delete pallets for everyone else.
I took off Windows and sure I die in chase more often but I can feel myself getting better at mindgames. I made a Clown waste 45 seconds on a single bad pallet on Ormond the other day and he didn't even down me, simply because I knew that I had nothing nearby. If I had Windows I'd probably have beelined for the snowplow pallet at the edge of my vision and gone down.
I had to make a map strength judgement on my own terms and I wasted over a minute of killer time from it. Windows gave me the knowledge to make that judgement, yeah, but without knowing for certain what was nearby I had to use what I had all the way to the fullest, something Windows will discourage. 9especially since the Windows counterplay is, in fact, just break it all)

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah I'm definitely with curiousTerminal on this one. I never took Windows and I've definitely felt myself memorizing pallet locations and spawn patterns through brute force as a result, even if it meant getting downed a lot. But I kind of regret not using it earlier at least sometimes to mentally acclimate myself to their spawn patterns in an easier way. That said, I do feel like using it all the time might've prevented me from memorizing them more thoroughly. And I can definitely see how it would've encouraged bad habits.

When I finally put it on, though (I had an archive for doing chases with Windows or something) it was kind of insane how much better it made me suddenly. Like, I'd developed that base knowledge of how to loop and chain pallets, so using Windows to feed myself a nonstop drip of reliable info meant I ran some poor dude for loving ages. He was below my MMR but still, that was some poo poo I wouldn't have pulled off without it.

So when it comes to crutch perks, they're a great way to learn as long as you take them off sometimes to make sure you're reinforcing that knowledge and developing the skills to be able to go without them. But sometimes you just want to be able to turn your brain off for some part of the game, or minimize as much wasted time/mistakes as possible. I love Visionary+Open-Handed for that, for instance. Yes, I can find gens, but sometimes I want to know exactly where every single gen is and spend exactly 0 time finding and getting on the nearest one.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oh it absolutely is a crutch and I don't like using it as it's almost certainly building me bad habits but good lord it is powerful.

Also I'm gonna continue being a broken record about Distortion secretly being an info perk as it tells you exactly what the killer isn't running.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Oh it absolutely is a crutch and I don't like using it as it's almost certainly building me bad habits but good lord it is powerful.

Also I'm gonna continue being a broken record about Distortion secretly being an info perk as it tells you exactly what the killer isn't running.

I mean, I don't think it's a big secret heh...I always run it in SWF for that very reason.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

I mean, I don't think it's a big secret heh...I always run it in SWF for that very reason.

You'd be surprised how many folks laser focus on the anti-aura reading part and forget how valuable the info is.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My galaxy brain third level take is that I love the scratch mark removal aspect that people forget even exists. Distortion shits all over chase aura perks like "I'm All Ears"

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

rydiafan posted:

My galaxy brain third level take is that I love the scratch mark removal aspect that people forget even exists. Distortion shits all over chase aura perks like "I'm All Ears"

It's so fuckin good. I look forward to using it with Sable so I can laugh at the fools who thought territorial imperative would be good for once.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
Does anybody know some aura-reading perk for survivor? Because, if I were to put windows away, I would still need to have something to see the Killer in chase since I am kinda bad in the looping department.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Does anybody know some aura-reading perk for survivor? Because, if I were to put windows away, I would still need to have something to see the Killer in chase since I am kinda bad in the looping department.

Troubleshooter. Drop pallet in chase get some killer aura read. During and after the chase as a bonus see where the most repaired gen is so you can avoid bringing the killer there.

Alert tells you when they break something, can be useful.

Scene Partner makes you scream in exchange for seeing the killer aura when you look at them in terror radius. Can be fun, seemed inconsistent when I tried it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A Key with the Blood Amber add-on as well

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I love Alert so God Damned much.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Relyssa posted:

It's so fuckin good. I look forward to using it with Sable so I can laugh at the fools who thought territorial imperative would be good for once.

I didn't even consider this

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Wiretap requires you to build it up on a generator, and it goes away if the killer kicks it, but if you're looping them in the vicinity (especially shack) and they think they'll just kick it after they catch you... it can be pretty strong.

Also, there's a trick where you can apply it to a regressing generator (in that new 5s window) and then just keep tapping the generator to keep it in that "regressing" state, so when the killer shows up, they can't even kick it to turn it off.

I know it's not that useful, but it was funny when JRM or Ayrun did it or whoever it was

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You can also tap a completely fresh generator for a single frame, so it technically has progress, then put Wiretap on it. There will be no piston movement, the the killer won't even realize they're able to kick it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah I'm definitely with curiousTerminal on this one. I never took Windows and I've definitely felt myself memorizing pallet locations and spawn patterns through brute force as a result, even if it meant getting downed a lot. But I kind of regret not using it earlier at least sometimes to mentally acclimate myself to their spawn patterns in an easier way. That said, I do feel like using it all the time might've prevented me from memorizing them more thoroughly. And I can definitely see how it would've encouraged bad habits.

When I finally put it on, though (I had an archive for doing chases with Windows or something) it was kind of insane how much better it made me suddenly.

I went thru almost the same history. My first thousand hours, i never used the *crutch*. Then i tried it on and i almost never take it off now, another 1k hrs later because any time I'm chased i can plan my big loops around multiple tiles and the sheer value i get in chase every game is unmatched. I am like low-med in loop skill tho so i do try to take all the practice i can get.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

OxMan posted:

I went thru almost the same history. My first thousand hours, i never used the *crutch*. Then i tried it on and i almost never take it off now, another 1k hrs later because any time I'm chased i can plan my big loops around multiple tiles and the sheer value i get in chase every game is unmatched. I am like low-med in loop skill tho so i do try to take all the practice i can get.

I'm only at about 800 hrs but this has been my experience as well. I don't plan on running it forever but I still suck rear end at loops so the help is appreciated.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Scene Partner, a wiretapped gen or a key are really your only options for auras in chase - but I wouldn't recommend Scene Partner as it's going to likely get you into chases as much as it helps you since you scream like crazy with it. I'd honestly recommend Alert as an aura perk, it's really powerful though it won't directly help you in chase.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Scene Partner, a wiretapped gen or a key are really your only options for auras in chase - but I wouldn't recommend Scene Partner as it's going to likely get you into chases as much as it helps you since you scream like crazy with it. I'd honestly recommend Alert as an aura perk, it's really powerful though it won't directly help you in chase.

This is Troubleshooter erasure. It's underrated as hell. :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

This is Troubleshooter erasure. It's underrated as hell. :colbert:

Oh yeah I forgot about Troubleshooter. That's a good one for killer chase aura, probably best.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Maybe I'm just dumb, but if there's another level that opens up once you run around Eyrie of Crows like Good Will Hunting memorizing every tile, "There's a 4-lane jungle gym T&L Z-wall" blah blah blah

Well I'm just going to have to stay down here with the newbies who run Windows of Opportunity because Jesus Christ my brain only has so much RAM...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There’s a reason people say poo poo in the thread like having “only” 800 hours.

Gotta watch an hour-long video on tiles, and then another for killer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Same reason I can't be arsed to learn Blight when it requires memorizing which tiles on every map will bounce you and which tiles are glitched to send you flying off like Team Rocket