Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
We should put pig farms in all the native wetlands, because of tax dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Ok so you guys don't want hundreds of millions of virtually free extra dollars per year by just letting boats tie up here.
Where is this estimate coming from?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hundreds of millions is a stretch.

Monaco, during F1 race week averages €3,500 per birth per day. While it's not a bad idea to convert it into a marina / super yacht berth and taking that money and giving it to the Sydney coffers, the problem you now have is the Navy will want a new Naval base built.

And I'd predict it would take an age to break even on the costs of an entirely new defence port in 2024 vs yacht fees.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Not always, but in principle, when you circulate money through the economy more flows to people on lower incomes, addressing inequality and stimulating growth (as they then have more to spend). Money locked up in bank accounts is of most use to banks. Money that is spent on goods and services produces benefits (and yes sometimes taxes) several times - I give $20 to the fish and chips shop, they spend part on wages, part to buy the fish, part on water/electricity/rent - then the people who got it as wages spend it on new clothes for their kids, petrol at the service station - that pays for the wages of the kmart checkout person, the people at the servo - etc. The more and faster the same money circulates, the more economic activity and value is produced- is the theory. And yes, this activity gets taxed too at many points. A lot of it flows nationally because we have national supply chains and our cities are big enough proportions of our population and economy that something major in Sydney or Melbourne can have an effect on national figures.

Yeah but now you're still $20 out, so someone else has to give you money for your own kids' clothes and petrol and stuff, and we're back where we started. This whole "economy" thing is sounding pretty made up tbh.

The "generally flowing downwards" makes a bit of sense though I guess. But then it just goes right back to the top when it gets hoovered up by the supermarkets and energy companies and capitalists in general, right? Like that's literally where their money comes from.

I dunno, I guess I'm just saying "the movement of money" (in a closed system) seems like a weird metric to measure anything by. But I know I'm dumb, sorry.

Appreciate the effort post though, thanks heaps.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Absolutly correct we dont want it. Billionaire pollution can just gently caress the hell off.

The under-funded womens shelters appreciate your principled stance.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where is this estimate coming from?

Boisterous exuberance of course.

It's possibly the best place to pull up in the southern hemisphere. But you're right, the mooring fees would probably max out at a few grand a day, so only a few million per year. Might get to the hundreds once you start filling them up and servicing them though.

I really thought the hard part of that was going to be finding somewhere else for the navy.

e - lol yeah like Yeast said

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 11, 2024

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I’m told Sydney Airport is at capacity

What?

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°
how about you come up with a plan for the money to get to the underfunded women's shelters before you start drawing up schematics and diagrams, all you're doing without it is just milking billionaires to make more millionaires

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I guarantee that every cent taken from any billionaire I guillotine will go to women's shelters.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Semi-seriously, I've never really understood when they say things like "This Event brought millions of dollars into the economy". Like, no, you just moved money from from one person's account to another. Now one person has a bit more, and one person has a bit less. On a "town" level, sure, but on a national level, the total amount of money in the economy remains the same. Is is it just because the transaction is taxed? Anyway, THIS is how you get actually more money in the economy.

That seems like a bizarrely mercantilist view of macroeconomics.

you may want to skim these:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional-reserve_banking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_of_money

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_propensity_to_consume

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It is a very serious joke about why they're having to build another one.

Yeast posted:

it would take an age to break even on the costs of an entirely new defence port in 2024 vs yacht fees.

Selling this carpark alone would probably cover a good chunk of it. I just want to return the land to the public, the berthing fees are an ancillary bonus.

birdstrike posted:

That seems like a bizarrely mercantilist view of macroeconomics.

you may want to skim these:

Thanks.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Boisterous exuberance

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The under-funded womens shelters appreciate your principled stance.

Strawmanning means you dont have any decent reply and basically my answer to a strawman is "gently caress off, it's a stupid way to debate"

There is more than enough money for womens shelters from raising Gina Rinehart's taxes of you want to play it like that plus Garden Island if the navy vacated how many billions would that cost and also how about the regular visits foreign warships contribute to the economy to continue to play this game do you forgo?

It's a badly thought out idea esp trying to cater to a tiny mega wealthy minority. The fact anyone seriously suggests an idea to cater for billionaires on SA is just..... does my goddamn head in.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
If I was a billionaire with a superyacht I can think of plenty of better and more fun places to park it than Sydney

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

foreign warships contribute to the economy

Ah, right. Peaceful pleasure crafts = bad, literal death machines = good. Got it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

he literally needs a mod to change his name to this. asap

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Ok so you guys don't want hundreds of millions of virtually free extra dollars per year by just letting boats tie up here. We'll just keep using it to store massive and almost entirely pointless navy boats. Even the 5 storey carpark there underneath Embarkation Park alone would be worth billions.

We could just close a few tax loopholes and implement a wealth tax

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Yeah but now you're still $20 out, so someone else has to give you money for your own kids' clothes and petrol and stuff, and we're back where we started. This whole "economy" thing is sounding pretty made up tbh.

Think about it this way. I give you $20 to you for you to cook me a meal. I am up one meal, down $20 and you are up $20 and down one hour of your time. You then give me $20 to clean up your garden. I am now quits on money but up on a meal, down on one hour. You are quits on money but up on a clean garden and down one hour.

The money changing hands was really a proxy for us exchanging time and services. This is economic activity, we are working and doing poo poo that needs doing (rather than earning money as an end in itself). The money is just tracking it. Assuming you are a cook and I am a gardener we are both more efficient doing it this way than the other way around - maybe in that case we’d each be down two hours.

Obviously more complex in the real world but that’s basically why we have money at all, in theory. When money is flying around, the faster it flies around correlates with more hours of work, things produced and consumed, services delivered. That activity is the actual economy, not the allocation of money or who currently has it. (In theory! In theory!).

Here is an economist joke making fun of this concept if it amuses you:

Two economists are walking in a forest when they come across a pile of poo poo.

The first economist says to the other “I’ll pay you $100 to eat that pile of poo poo.” The second economist takes the $100 and eats the pile of poo poo.

They continue walking until they come across a second pile of poo poo. The second economist turns to the first and says “I’ll pay you $100 to eat that pile of poo poo.” The first economist takes the $100 and eats a pile of poo poo.

Walking a little more, the first economist looks at the second and says, "You know, I gave you $100 to eat poo poo, then you gave me back the same $100 to eat poo poo. I can't help but feel like we both just ate poo poo for nothing."

"That's not true", responded the second economist. "We increased the GDP by $200!"

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bucky, I know you think the idea of the wealthy being nearby will benefit the local economy, but I really need you to look into what actually happens

The wealthy do not pay for things, they would never get or stay wealthy if they did. They might spend money, but only if there is a return.

The marina would need to be built to the standards needed to accommodate yachts of those sizes and mooring requirements, many millions of dollars that would come from the local or state government at the expense of other programs and services.

The marina would also be exclusive to those foreign yachts, whose owners and residents do not go to the local shops, or nip round the pub on an evening. Those that do show up will invest their money in demanding more from the local government, cheaply buying local politicians to get their way. They will never pay for the impact their berthing has, only some nominal fig leaf fee that leaves the marina dependent on local or state services to survive.

Local residents will soon find property too expensive to own, and local entertainment closed as previously unknown regulations are enforced. Eventually, an enclave will develop that serves as a buffer to people out, letting only basic goods in, mostly fuel and water.

You might ask about food, but that is all sourced from special arrangements with food service companies and high end sources. Most of it will be delivered by boat.

A rich neighbour will never benefit you.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
I'm not sure Bucky's idea is total trash, but I'm also not sure he's thought it through properly. The problem with ultra billionaires is they horde poo poo, they're not spending money here. If anything, they'll waste our money by forcing us to medievac their rear end off their boats and spread police all over so they don't have to see poor people.

Take the similar idea, but set up more modern moorings for Cruise ships in a ring around Australia. Bigger and better then the ones we've got now. Pour some of that tax money into tourism dollars and set up a rotating ring of Cruise ships that target the moderately wealthy. Rich enough to bleed them for their cash, but not rich enough to know how to horde it in the Caymans.

You revitalise a bunch of regional towns, provide jobs of all sorts, and we don't have to worry about setting up ridiculous spaces to moor one guys boat.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Konomex posted:

and spread police all over

okay so NSWpol will clean up then.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Blamestorm posted:

Think about it this way. I give you $20 to you for you to cook me a meal. I am up one meal, down $20 and you are up $20 and down one hour of your time. You then give me $20 to clean up your garden. I am now quits on money but up on a meal, down on one hour. You are quits on money but up on a clean garden and down one hour.

The money changing hands was really a proxy for us exchanging time and services. This is economic activity, we are working and doing poo poo that needs doing (rather than earning money as an end in itself). The money is just tracking it. Assuming you are a cook and I am a gardener we are both more efficient doing it this way than the other way around - maybe in that case we’d each be down two hours.

Obviously more complex in the real world but that’s basically why we have money at all, in theory. When money is flying around, the faster it flies around correlates with more hours of work, things produced and consumed, services delivered. That activity is the actual economy, not the allocation of money or who currently has it. (In theory! In theory!).

That's a fantastic explanation and now it makes quite a lot more sense, cheers.

Spookydonut posted:

We could just close a few tax loopholes and implement a wealth tax

We can, nay must, do both.

EoRaptor posted:

The marina would need to be built to the standards needed to accommodate yachts of those sizes and mooring requirements, many millions of dollars that would come from the local or state government at the expense of other programs and services.

It's already built! They dock literal aircraft carriers there at the moment.

quote:

Local residents will soon find property too expensive to own, and local entertainment closed as previously unknown regulations are enforced.

I'm afraid I have bad news about Potts Point.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
we should have mini subs in the harbour to enforce dock fees

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
and a gun emplacement on the fort in the middle

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That's a fantastic explanation and now it makes quite a lot more sense, cheers.

We can, nay must, do both.

It's already built! They dock literal aircraft carriers there at the moment.

I'm afraid I have bad news about Potts Point.

i think the expectations of a marina for billionaire super yacht owners is a bit more nuanced than just 'can it dock an aircraft carrier'

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Well in honour of the new thread here’s a few on the shortlist for ya:

Garden Island

Literally some of the most prime real estate in the world, so kick the navy out and create an arts & culture precinct and super-yacht mooring facility.

Waste

State takes the whole thing over. No more relying on business and councils to work out a cost-positive way of doing it right. Build a big gently caress-off MRF/ recycling / organics processing facility at Eastern Creek (between the drag way and the M7). Capture all commercial and residential food waste. And a giant warehouse for council collection stuff that gets sorted into grades of usefulness and salvagability.

Eliminate disposable packaging at dine-in fast food.

X sports centre

Competition-grade skate park, big air, etc. Just next to the Wanderers football park seems like a good location.

Leppington Cargo

Already discussed, but bears repeating - move the freight depot south a few miles and extend the train line a few hundred meters and we can take a shitload of trucks off the road.

(move big red circle to little red circle)

Sydney Games

Kind of like a modern corroboree. Centennial park is a massively underused resource, so for one weekend a year, have a massive tournament. Most of the major sports. Split the city up into 32 regions to make the table easy, have primary / secondary / open divisions. And while we're at it, an Australian Games at Homebush as well.

Somewhat related, one major difference I noticed between Sydney and Melbourne, is sport. Most sports fields in Sydney are empty. Seriously. But the few nights I've spent riding around Melbourne, they're packed, with people playing relatively high grades.

Schools

Lunch provided. I am so loving sick of all the kids' nutrition relying on millions of parents having to do it individually.
Kitchen Garden in every campus, competition for best produce
More partnerships with retirement homes
Make Science Fairs more of a Thing

Aquatic Recreation

Harbour baths. Few of these things scattered around the bays would be alright:

And for those not by the harbour, an olympic-sized natural public pool at Prospect. But you can only get there by active transport. And speaking of prospect, whack in a zipline from the lookout down towards the filtration plant.

And a communal outdoor fireplace in each suburb.

anyway, your harbour baths and school lunch gruel pots sound more interesting.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the state that keeps finding asbestos in playgrounds

'hey, we should also do school lunches!'

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
they should probably stop getting mulch from wittenoom

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

blue sky mining playground supplies

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Better rip up all those bike paths too Bucky, the super rich won't want to see riff raff while sitting in their limo being driven around and spending money

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

imnotinsane posted:

Better rip up all those bike paths too Bucky, the super rich won't want to see riff raff while sitting in their limo being driven around and spending money

hire the boring company to make underground bike tunnels for the super rich on whatever loving bike the fitness minded super rich ride. when they aren't eating the blood of their own sons for immortality or whatever the gently caress it is they do.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Underground yacht tunnels to Uluru

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

hambeet posted:

anyway, your harbour baths and school lunch gruel pots sound more interesting.

I like the Waste one.

imnotinsane posted:

They can either take it as is or go gently caress themselves

But really we all know that less car-dependence makes cities far more inviting.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Underground yacht tunnels to Wittenoom

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

we know that

they don't care

(who's they? the wizards)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

imnotinsane posted:

Those super rich wouldnt dream of limos, they would use their private helicopter to fly to the Hunter Valley and be served hand and foot by people they pay next to nothing for with imported luxury goods.

And who is going to sail their super yacht from Morocco / California to the arse end of the world anyway? Private jet all the way!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

They can either take it as is or go gently caress themselves

Particularly to billionaires with yachts that cost more to staff than the average annual income of the citizen of said city

Also, giving ultimatums to billionaires always works. They would never wield the undue influence and power from their cash reserves to change things solely for their own benefit!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

people they pay next to nothing

I, Butthole posted:

cost more to staff than the average annual income of the citizen of said city

Hmmmmm

quote:

wield the undue influence and power from their cash reserves to change things solely for their own benefit!

Good point, we should send them the superhighway plan too.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Autisanal Cheese posted:

shouldn't be surprised that "progressive no" turned into mask-off racism in record time

was he really the guy behind poo poo Towns of Australia or was that just a throwaway comment

Old post but he was reposting them (from Facebook I guess) nobody thought he was behind them

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
in case you were wondering whose fault it is the liberals fail to preselect women in winnable seats:

it's the gays

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

in case you were wondering whose fault it is the liberals fail to preselect women in winnable seats:

it's the gays

The gays? I knew it was them. Even when it was the misogynists I knew it was them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The perfidious gays