Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Anya posted:

I think it’s more fun to kill time there than Avengers Campus, which is so bland to me.
the worst part of Avengers Campus is hearing that same music sting over and over until you get on Web Slingers or leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Agreed - I think the castle parks should not have single-IP lands.
Disneyland is somewhat constrained for space, though.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Craptacular! posted:

I can't believe I'm the one person in these discussions who defends Galaxy's StarcruisEdge being not based on the Original Trilogy, but people will defend the Disney+ era of Star Wars moving pictures.

Rogue One was kinda good, the sequel trilogy is ultimately a springboard for products and experiences, but ultimately Disney's non-trilogy specific addendums to the canon are this aggressive attempt to franchise a property that didn't need it. I don't actually care about the old EU at all but I will credit that it mostly stayed out of my face and I was never forced to do any research about it. There was a hell of a lot of extra nerdy bonus chapters to Star Wars if you really wanted to think about that universe constantly; whereas Disney is desperately wanting you to keep thinking about it, by trying to create an MCU sort of thing out of a story that to many people was over and done.

I assume Avatar doesn't suffer these problems because Jim Cameron has the strength of Job and also produces a billion dollars for the studio if you just let him cook.

No, you’re not the only one.

I read a bunch of Expanded Universe books and was disappointed by the sequels, but I still like Star Wars. Star Wars has always been kind of dumb and that’s perfectly fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It wasn't in your face because it was the 1980s and the only form of media back then was pigeon delivered letters and television that only had one color.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Time washes away dross but nobody should ever forget that the EU eventually degraded into bug orgies and two camps fighting canon wars about who Jaina Solo would gently caress.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

In short:

CapnAndy posted:

All of Star Wars sucks except the parts that are good.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

It wasn't in your face because it was the 1980s and the only form of media back then was pigeon delivered letters and television that only had one color.

The internet existed then.

I don’t mind IP lands with overpriced merch, it’s how companies justify building cool poo poo. My problem is when they don’t build cool poo poo, and we get Gringotts, which is a trash ride wrapped in good themeing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like and love 2/3rds of the sequel trilogy, like all the characters but I do think they should do a rehaul on galaxys edge to make it less time specific

No one cares.

At 2pm Kylo and the first order show up. At 4pm Vader shows up. It’s fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By the time the internet was in most houses we were in the prequel era, which was notable at the time for having one of the biggest media and merch campaigns in history.

Star Wars has always been this.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I like and love 2/3rds of the sequel trilogy, like all the characters but I do think they should do a rehaul on galaxys edge to make it less time specific

No one cares.

I've said exactly this before but I'm of such two minds about it. On the one hand I think it gets a lot of power from its specificity, being so specifically of a single point in time rather than Vague Star Wars helps with the buy-in that they want you to do to LARP with all the cast members about how this is a real alien planet that you're really visiting, and I love that if you've ever ridden Rise of the Resistance, then canonically you are why Hux is in such disfavor when Rise of Skywalker opens. But on the other hand, it absolutely limits it and it dates it, and both factors are only going to get worse over time as more new characters that people would like to see get created and Last Jedi recedes further and further into the past.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I like Avengers Campus, but only when its got a lot of walk around characters. There should be at least 3 heroes/villains on stage at all times.

Also it needs one more ride.

But Mission Breakout owns so hard that I will always love that part of the park.

GE needs more walk around characters too, ofc.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

CapnAndy posted:

I've said exactly this before but I'm of such two minds about it. On the one hand I think it gets a lot of power from its specificity, being so specifically of a single point in time rather than Vague Star Wars helps with the buy-in that they want you to do to LARP with all the cast members about how this is a real alien planet that you're really visiting, and I love that if you've ever ridden Rise of the Resistance, then canonically you are why Hux is in such disfavor when Rise of Skywalker opens.

This. If you want to go see Vader there's Star Tours and the buildings around it. We don't need to water down a place that has its own unique vibe (and this is me saying this as someone that's checked out of the franchise and thinks the Sequel Trilogy blows) by cramming Every New Guy That You Know And Love into the area.

Repurpose the Galactic Starcruiser people and costumes so that they're hanging out on Batuu. Maybe it blew up or something. Galaxy's Edge can be its own thing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I actually think the Galaxy’s Edge LARPing is a cool and fun idea, but maybe contain it a little. Like just inside the little stalls in the market or in Savi’s and especially the Cantina.

I don’t know how those bartenders stay in character all day (one of them told me out-of-character that they were hand picked from Disney’s best bars like Trader Sam’s and the Grand Floridian) but they kill it and it’s a blast every time.

Dumb related story: The last time we were there, the waitress tried to run my card but the machine wasn’t working, so she asked if I wanted to wait, or come with her and run it at the POS station at the back of the house. She must have seen my dumb dork rear end light up at the idea of going “backstage” because after I of course went back and paid, she came back to our table with a handful of souvenir coasters and declared that I was an honorary Oga’s staff member :shobon:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I should root out the photo of the backstage area I got in Paris when the door in the shop after Star Tours broke and the maintenance staff fixing it told me they didn't give a poo poo if I took one. Had a cool poster refreshing people's memories of various Star Wars trivia just to help them deal with us weirdos.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Anyone have any good recommendations for Disneyland Paris? I'm going next week with the family, two kids (4 and 8). We're staying two nights in a Disney hotel. I have a character breakfast booked but nothing organised apart from that. I don't want to rush around to tick things off a list but if there's a great show or restaurant that's worth it, would be handy to know. The range of things to do is a bit bewildering.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

CelticPredator posted:

No one cares.

I feel the same way. Then again I'd happily trade Galaxys Edge to have Star Wars Weekends back. Hyperspace Hoopla and all. Hell, I even miss the Fab 5 in their Star Wars costumes.

The longer the current iteration goes, there's going to come a time when most people won't remember what time period it's referencing unless somehow the ST gets a nostalgia boost like the PT did.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hyperspace Hoopla was just too much fun. It's a shame that Disney refuse to enjoy the silliness of the thing they bought.

adamarama posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations for Disneyland Paris? I'm going next week with the family, two kids (4 and 8). We're staying two nights in a Disney hotel. I have a character breakfast booked but nothing organised apart from that. I don't want to rush around to tick things off a list but if there's a great show or restaurant that's worth it, would be handy to know. The range of things to do is a bit bewildering.
I really loved the Agrabah Cafe, but a buffet of middle eastern food may not be a great option for kids. Prepare to spend your days on Casey Junior.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I’d always heard it was Lucas who put the kibosh on fun Star Wars, not the other way around. We were all in on stormtrooper Donald and earth goofy until the lucasfilm sale went through. Heard it was a requirement of the sale. That’s what we were always told at least.

I loving loved Star Wars weekends though. That was near the end of my stint as a full time guide and I got to work two of the weekends. I wish I had been watching Rebels at the time, I met like half the cast that year.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That seems implausible. If he cared when selling it why didn't he care before that?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arquinsiel posted:

That seems implausible. If he cared when selling it why didn't he care before that?

I can’t tell if this is bait or not

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It just seems like a really obvious question to me. What changed that George was suddenly not okay with Snig and Oopla?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don’t know the story, but it’s not unheard of.

He could have put conditions on the sale he had not considered for the licensing agreement.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I haven't seen the paperwork or anything, but it just doesn't make any logical sense that Disney would have more restrictions on what they could do with a property when they own it outright as compared to when they were licensing it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I could be wrong but I seem to recall that it was Disney's own decision because at the time everyone was afraid Disney would instantly stick Mickey in Star Wars and make it canon or something.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I want to say this is the best Epcot even smatterings for Plant Based Eaters in years.
If my doctor would let me I would subsist on the avocado toast and fruit loop shake exclusively

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I work with both the Disney and Star Wars license and both are quite strict. I do think it was a condition. The example given to me when I signed the SW license was they can't be doing anything they wouldn't in Star Wars, "such as Chewbacca surfing."

However the absolute worst is Pixar.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

*Lucca not allowed to be mermaned by piss

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Tim Whatley posted:

I work with both the Disney and Star Wars license and both are quite strict. I do think it was a condition. The example given to me when I signed the SW license was they can't be doing anything they wouldn't in Star Wars, "such as Chewbacca surfing."

Side rant, but Disney is actually kind of bad with this with their own characters. For instance, any live stage show where Goofy is dancing good. Goofy should not be a good dancer!

Any examples of Pixar's conditions?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Considering Star Wars Detours (never aired) and Star Wars Kinect was done under Lucas I don’t think he was as strict as you think

Also why can’t Chewbacca surf. What’s stopping him

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s the longest wait for a paid ride? We want to get on Beauty and Beast without waiting for 3 hours.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If Lucas had a contract with only one condition and it was that Disney could only do serious things with Star Wars instead of the condition to use his sequel trilogy script then he made a huge mistake.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

hadji murad posted:

What’s the longest wait for a paid ride? We want to get on Beauty and Beast without waiting for 3 hours.

it just depends on the day, friend. every day is going to have a different wait time and a different line. Even on a good day you're probably looking at a pretty long wait for BATB though.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Side rant, but Disney is actually kind of bad with this with their own characters. For instance, any live stage show where Goofy is dancing good. Goofy should not be a good dancer!

Pixar I can believe. They’re very protective about how their characters are used.

Pixar characters must always meet with some sort of themed backdrop - you know how you might randomly meet Mickey on Main Street just at a convenient section? Pretty much will never happen for Pixar. Buzz at MK has his set, Toy Story land is a whole backdrop for them. If you ever meet a Pixar character at like a random event in a ballroom they’ll usually have a vinyl backdrop set up behind them for this reason.

For many years, Jessie and Woody met at the Splash exit with their little setup. Well, some Entertainment leader decided to move them to the chipmunk’s location over by the Little Mississippi one day. Pixar found out and apparently revoked permission for Woody and Jessie to meet in the MK pretty much immediately.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Arquinsiel posted:

It just seems like a really obvious question to me. What changed that George was suddenly not okay with Snig and Oopla?

drat, they missed a great opportunity for a wildly deep cut on Mandalorian s3. Jack Black and Lizzo should have been post-Galactic Civil War versions of Snig and Oopla, ruling over their former Imperial territory.

Tim Whatley posted:

I work in sports licensing, but if there's any way you can share some of those requirements without outing yourself, that would be incredible. Restrictions on licenses is always fascinating to me.

Cais posted:

Pixar I can believe. They’re very protective about how their characters are used.

Pixar characters must always meet with some sort of themed backdrop - you know how you might randomly meet Mickey on Main Street just at a convenient section? Pretty much will never happen for Pixar. Buzz at MK has his set, Toy Story land is a whole backdrop for them. If you ever meet a Pixar character at like a random event in a ballroom they’ll usually have a vinyl backdrop set up behind them for this reason.

For many years, Jessie and Woody met at the Splash exit with their little setup. Well, some Entertainment leader decided to move them to the chipmunk’s location over by the Little Mississippi one day. Pixar found out and apparently revoked permission for Woody and Jessie to meet in the MK pretty much immediately.

That suddenly explains so much of why Pixar characters are never as casual for meet-and-greets as any other IP. Even on Cruise Line, the Pixar meet and greets are always in specific places with a backdrop, whereas you might run into other characters anywhere at just about any time. On at least the Fantasy and Dream ships, there is a false wall that opens up to a small room vaguely resembling Andy's room in the atrium and it's the only spot you ever see any of them.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Doronin posted:

I work in sports licensing, but if there's any way you can share some of those requirements without outing yourself, that would be incredible. Restrictions on licenses is always fascinating to me.

Really it's just everything needs to be "in world" for SW. Nothing fun. Disney provides enormous asset DBs I won't get into and most licensees will obviously use these for approved patterns and imagery etc. But if you wanna make something custom, it goes through 10 different people for approval. I'm similarly fascinated with sports licensing as we want that next. I almost pulled the trigger on the NHL a few years back but we didn't. Looking for NFL probably which I know will be a task.

E: Ehhh too much detail. Basically Pixar artists get involved with the business process and they want every detail possible, being artists and all. This creates a ton of problems.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 11, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I can believe that. Also I never realized that about the Pixar meet & greets, but now it makes total sense.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I remember Woody and Jessie meeting in that Splash area, just always figured they wanted them more in their own land…but that makes completely sense.

Airport posting post cruise vibes as I sadly wait to go back to the real world - weird to be in Florida without anything Disney/UO on the plate this last weekend

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

hadji murad posted:

Depends on crowd levels, interest, and if the ride's operational.

There was one time where all but one Soarin' theater broke down and the wait time stretched so long that you could've left the line, driven to the airport, flown to California, driven to Disneyland, and gotten on their Soarin' before you would've gotten to ride it in Florida.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I could be wrong but I seem to recall that it was Disney's own decision because at the time everyone was afraid Disney would instantly stick Mickey in Star Wars and make it canon or something.
See now that makes a heck of a lot more sense.

CelticPredator posted:

Also why can’t Chewbacca surf. What’s stopping him
Chewie can surf.

Chewie don't surf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Depends on crowd levels, interest, and if the ride's operational.

There was one time where all but one Soarin' theater broke down and the wait time stretched so long that you could've left the line, driven to the airport, flown to California, driven to Disneyland, and gotten on their Soarin' before you would've gotten to ride it in Florida.

Even when you pay extra? Sorry I haven’t mentioned the program, it’s Premier Access which is named something different than its US equivalent. (Not the free priority pass)

Not to mention Pooh’s Honey Hut and Big Thunder being down for maintenance….