Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

there's a bad guy in a house in the woods, do you:

1. walk quietly on foot until you're at the house or

2. use an angry lawnmower to hide in the trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuW4VqEflY

This might end up as the first defense tech that fails sale to a military but succeeds as a circus act.

Maybe second if “guy in a cannon” was once pitched as tactical insertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

there's a bad guy in a house in the woods, do you:

1. walk quietly on foot until you're at the house or

2. use an angry lawnmower to hide in the trees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuW4VqEflY

This is essentially the plot of Lone Survivor. The Navy Seals decided to do a helicopter insertion because they didn't want to go hiking for three days and that was a big part of what hosed everything up.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

Is there some actual reason that jetpack doesn't just put the jets on a frame sticking out of each side of the pack? Not only would it allow you to computer control flight stabilization but you could control it with one hand or even your mouth or feet.
I guess this is more intuitive.

Probably only one outfit keeps doing it (keep clicking the wrong tech tree) , everyone else thinks is such a dumb solution.

Yeah why not use your thighs to control it?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

they should have sent a poet

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: CNN

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/10/politics/russia-artillery-shell-production-us-europe-ukraine/index.html

Exclusive: Russia producing three times more artillery shells than US and Europe for Ukraine
By Katie Bo Lillis, Natasha Bertrand, Oren Liebermann and Haley Britzky, CNN
6 minute read
Published 12:00 AM EDT, Mon March 11, 2024

Russia appears on track to produce nearly three times more artillery munitions than the US and Europe, a key advantage ahead of what is expected to be another Russian offensive in Ukraine later this year...

... US and Western officials insist that although Russia has been able to jump-start its factory lines, in part because it has the advantage of being a managed economy under the control of an autocrat, capitalist western nations will eventually catch up and produce better equipment...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fizziester posted:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/10/politics/russia-artillery-shell-production-us-europe-ukraine/index.html

Exclusive: Russia producing three times more artillery shells than US and Europe for Ukraine
6 minute read

Russia appears on track to produce nearly three times more artillery munitions than the US and Europe, a key advantage ahead of what is expected to be another Russian offensive in Ukraine later this year...

... US and Western officials insist that although Russia has been able to jump-start its factory lines, in part because it has the advantage of being a managed economy under the control of an autocrat, capitalist western nations will eventually catch up and produce better equipment...

They got to say that right? But in reality the rounds the Russians are producing are even higher that in reality, they clearly still have stockpiles, and it doesn't even include the North Korean shells.

I really think not only the Ukrainians but NATO itself got high on its own supply due to the Kharkov/Kherson offensives and really thought they could smash the orcs based on largely false open source intel (i.e the leak). They have no plan B and at best they can say "some day it may get better, who knows."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

This might end up as the first defense tech that fails sale to a military but succeeds as a circus act.

Maybe second if “guy in a cannon” was once pitched as tactical insertion.

Circus cannons on the side of a herculus? Airborne clown corps lets make it happen.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fizziester posted:

6 minute read

kinda surprised, and a little disappointed, it's only 3x tbh

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Hmmm didn't we just list some SEALS who officially fell off a ladder boarding? Maybe they already did manage to sell some of these things lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BearsBearsBears posted:

This is essentially the plot of Lone Survivor. The Navy Seals decided to do a helicopter insertion because they didn't want to go hiking for three days and that was a big part of what hosed everything up.

Their plan to "mask" the insertion was just to run lots of fake sorties for a few days prior. The intent of telegraphing their play was to get the enemy accustomed to the choppers so they wouldn't investigate lol.

DancingShade posted:

Circus cannons on the side of a herculus? Airborne clown corps lets make it happen.

All Helldivers to hellpods.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

DancingShade posted:

Bicycles. I hope you boys know how to pedal.

Didn't this work out rather well for the Japanese in Malaya.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Z the IVth posted:

Spectacularly well.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

bicycle infantry should be brought back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megamissen posted:

bicycle infantry should be brought back

yeah but how do we make tactical bicycles

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can bolt picatinny rails onto anything

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

We cannot allow a bitchin' sidearm gap, deploy the DMR pistol.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

high end mountain bikes with some racks added and a paint job

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Owlbear Camus posted:

you can bolt picatinny rails onto anything

I mean bike infantry sometimes used bikes to support crew served weapons as a sort of platform.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Megamissen posted:

high end mountain bikes with some racks added and a paint job

Montague bikes are legit p sick, but I can only imagine how much they are charging on military contracts.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

mountainbiking is very popular, it might help with recruitment too

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Orange Devil posted:

I mean bike infantry sometimes used bikes to support crew served weapons as a sort of platform.

The Vietnamese used to load up the frames with gear and push them through the jungle to run effective supply lines I think

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Forseti posted:

The Vietnamese used to load up the frames with gear and push them through the jungle to run effective supply lines I think

Used as a "mule" a bike can carry hundreds of pounds, it was really effective.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Regarde Aduck posted:

kinda surprised, and a little disappointed, it's only 3x tbh

The actual article says that Russia today is producing 3x more than all of NATO's dreams for the future, not what NATO actually does.

Note for example the article mentions a German plant that will definitely produce 200k a year, while Rheinmetall months ago said that they are now working on an order of 300k for Ukraine and expect it to be ready by 2027.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

The other thing that gets brought up in the context of the rapid Japanese advance down Malaya was their willingness to use human beings as sponsons for shallow bodies of water. Troops would jump into the water, as long as it wasn't more than chest high, and they'd hold up planks of wood on their shoulders, and the rest of the troop would cross, using the planks as stepping stones.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
To be slightly fair to the Swedish CBJ concept, the original idea was "Take a very compact firearm that you give to non-infantry support personnel, but make it more useful than a 9mm pistol or SMG by chambering it in 6.5 CBJ. The 6.5 CBJ will be much more effective against hard armour, and we don't need to give a big rifle to people who rarely train with rifles in the first place. The 6.5 CBJ only requires a barrel swap & different magazines in the same weapon, so you can train these personnel with cheap 9mm, but easily swap it to 6.5 when needed." This was in the late 2000s, so 9mm SMGs or pistols issued to rear echelon or support personnel was the norm. It still is today, but some countries have started swapped to issuing full sized rifles or carbines to replace 9mm weapons. FF, did you have a full sized C7 or a smaller C8 btw?

In practice though, the normal 6.5 CBJ round was indeed better than 9mm, but nowhere nearly as good as they hoped for, especially for the armour penetration. They had to use a special 6.5 CBJ round that uses tungsten to achieve their armour penetration targets, so uh, nowhere near as cheap or easy to obtain as they hoped. Reliability in short barreled carbines & suppressors with such systems is much better than it was. Rifle rounds out of very short barrels are very concussive & loud, so suppressors would be a good idea. I would argue that a Mk18 barrel length carbine with a good suppressor and maybe a few extra days training would be better for these military roles, but I'm just a civilian nerd with too much time on their hands.

Livo has issued a correction as of 08:19 on Mar 12, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The actual article says that Russia today is producing 3x more than all of NATO's dreams for the future, not what NATO actually does.

Note for example the article mentions a German plant that will definitely produce 200k a year, while Rheinmetall months ago said that they are now working on an order of 300k for Ukraine and expect it to be ready by 2027.

For a time they were saying North Korea was shipping them 3 million a year and they were shooting the Ukrainians 10 to 2k and now they are saying the Russians are producing 3 million and shooting the Ukrainians 10 to 2k. It very well may be the Russians are saving exactly half of their shells or just these numbers are all bit cut and pasted and it is unclear what is going on.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing that gets brought up in the context of the rapid Japanese advance down Malaya was their willingness to use human beings as sponsons for shallow bodies of water. Troops would jump into the water, as long as it wasn't more than chest high, and they'd hold up planks of wood on their shoulders, and the rest of the troop would cross, using the planks as stepping stones.

Life is cheap in the orient.

Livo posted:

To be slightly fair to the Swedish CBJ concept, the original idea was "Take a very compact firearm that you give to non-infantry support personnel, but make it more useful than a 9mm pistol or SMG by chambering it in 6.5 CBJ. The 6.5 CBJ will be much more effective against hard armour, and we don't need to give a big rifle to people who rarely train with rifles in the first place. The 6.5 CBJ only requires a barrel swap & different magazines in the same weapon, so you can train these personnel with cheap 9mm, but easily swap it to 6.5 when needed." This was in the late 2000s, so 9mm SMGs or pistols issued to rear echelon or support personnel was the norm. It still is today, but some countries have started swapped to issuing full sized rifles or carbines to replace 9mm weapons. FF, did you have a full sized C7 or a smaller C8 btw?

In practice though, the normal 6.5 CBJ round was indeed better than 9mm, but nowhere nearly as good as they hoped for, especially for the armour penetration. They had to use a special 6.5 CBJ round that uses tungsten to achieve their armour penetration targets, so uh, nowhere near as cheap or easy to obtain as they hoped. Reliability in short barreled carbines & better suppressors is much better than it used to be. Rifle rounds out of very short barrels are very concussive & loud, so suppressors would be a good idea. I would argue that a Mk18 barrel length carbine with a good suppressor and maybe a few extra days training would be better for these military roles, but I'm just a civilian nerd with too much time on their hands.

I don't doubt it, it's just they were like 10 years behind FN's 5.7mm and HK's 4.6mm when they started development. Even of those, FN has only truly been successful selling their pistol, the PDW seems mostly to have equipped BC based Sci-Fi shows, and conversely HK's pistol was a flop, though the MP7 has had very strong sales. All of that to say, with two competitors already locking each other out of the market with their proprietary cartridges, Bofors would have been better selecting one of those instead of trying to develop and market a new cartridge.

I was issued a C7. C8s were, still are, much rarer than you'd think compared to the M4. Around 2010, I think, we had the folding vertical grips installed as part of the Gunfighter program. No 203s in the rifles issued to the battery, and C79s on all of them. I think my receiver was stamped 1987, it's been a while since I had that all memorized. We had an armourer who was really on the ball so we also had rubber rifles to issue to command post personnel on exercises which was a real quality of life boost.

Around... 2000 something, we gave most of the C7A1s to the ANA, though they ditched them for Romanian or Bulgarian AKs right after. I believe we gave many of the C7A2s that had been turned in for C8s to the Ukrainians in 2022.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Mar 11, 2024

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Their plan to "mask" the insertion was just to run lots of fake sorties for a few days prior. The intent of telegraphing their play was to get the enemy accustomed to the choppers so they wouldn't investigate lol.

An incredible example of projecting their own excuse-based thinking on others. Assuming that giving the time to invent an excuse will cause them to ignore the problem. So deep in self deception that they’ve forgotten the basic mechanics of deceiving other.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

They also forgot their rope at the LZ, revealing that an insertion was made and it wasn't a feint.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Weka posted:

Is there some actual reason that jetpack doesn't just put the jets on a frame sticking out of each side of the pack? Not only would it allow you to computer control flight stabilization but you could control it with one hand or even your mouth or feet.
I guess this is more intuitive.

Apparently people who use them say once you get the hang of it it's actually fairly intuitive to use, it's like asking why bicycles aren't gyro stabilized so you can sit idle with your feet off the ground

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Owlbear Camus posted:

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

They also forgot their rope at the LZ, revealing that an insertion was made and it wasn't a feint.

the best of the best of the best

years of specialized training

$100k+ loadouts

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The crew chief apparently asked if they wanted him to cut the rope or haul it back up, no one bothered to instructed him so he just went with SOP leaving a coil of rope like the volume of a 55 gallon drum in the middle of open ground.

Also there's a lot of evidence that Luttrell was uh, let's say a bit of a fabulist about how much of a fight they were able to offer and the size of the opposing forces. Can't have a narrative where our elite drug dealers get got without it being a heroic stand against a horde of orcs outnumbering them 50:1.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

you drop some of these dudes onto putler's SCVs while he is microing in Ukraine and it's a wrap

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Egg Moron posted:

you drop some of these dudes onto putler's SCVs while he is microing in Ukraine and it's a wrap

that's just his expansion base idiot he's massing siege tanks and battlecruisers at his main

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

wouldn't you be doing the equivalent of holding your body up by your shoulders the whole time you're using the jetpack things

and woudn't the weight of whatever gear you're carrying be included in that

lol no one is using these for anything ever

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
These jetpacks really blow

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

StashAugustine posted:

Animorphs stays winning
Alien military officer looking at this kid with a thousand yard stare volunteering on a suicide mission and going "eh, I've had worse COs."

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Best part of that jetpack is the framing of the shot lets you imagine he descended from the sky, and then took off again, when he was really just hovering like 2 feet the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Best part of that jetpack is the framing of the shot lets you imagine he descended from the sky, and then took off again, when he was really just hovering like 2 feet the whole time

that and the "soldier is unable to move, shoot, or hear for only 22 seconds during exfil! how great!!"