Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Barf man. Poor guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Aye Doc posted:

Sengun looks to be very badly injured, they took him off in a wheelchair

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1766983270078800074

wider angle that lets you see that it was very not good

https://twitter.com/ClutchPoints/status/1766983243146903898

gently caress that's horrible. That's not fair

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://x.com/biasedslightly/status/1766983751366524930?s=46

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
zach lowe said spurs need to cash their chips in and go win now or else wemby whatevers.

we literally saw this movie in dallas. you cannot chase it like that in the nba. it results in being good not great, and the guy leaves anyway.

They need to stop with the garbage rosters, and they just need to build to win sustainably

edit: or the lebron cavs!

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 11, 2024

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

zach lowe said spurs need to cash their chips in and go win now or else wemby whatevers.

we literally saw this movie in dallas. you cannot chase it like that in the nba. it results in being good not great, and the guy leaves anyway.

They need to stop with the garbage rosters, and they just need to build to win sustainably

Did he say that? I don’t think he said that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

kingcobweb posted:

Did he say that? I don’t think he said that

basically he said wemby has arrived no more rebuild

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Dejan Bimble posted:

if you take away their wins, these spurs would be the worst nba team of all time

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Spurs don't really have a choice tbh. Wemby is going to be too good next year for them to tank.

I don't know if Dallas is a good comparison cuz that was a really weird Mavs era pre-Luka. They were more of a collection of vets brought together to be a backing band for Dirk's farewell tour than a team. Also it could've worked out for them if they didn't gently caress up Zingus and Brunson

NOP was probably a better example. They went all in a little too early with AD. But Jrue was the right move, they just missed on pretty much every other move.

If first gear is tanking and 5th is all in, Spurs are going to be in 2nd or 3rd next year, which is where they should be. They're looking for a Jrue or a Brunson to pair with Wemby

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Everyone's talking about Trae to Spurs but I'm going to be more psychotic and note LeBron about to be a free agent.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Spurs don't really have a choice tbh. Wemby is going to be too good next year for them to tank.

I don't know if Dallas is a good comparison cuz that was a really weird Mavs era pre-Luka. They were more of a collection of vets brought together to be a backing band for Dirk's farewell tour than a team. Also it could've worked out for them if they didn't gently caress up Zingus and Brunson

NOP was probably a better example. They went all in a little too early with AD. But Jrue was the right move, they just missed on pretty much every other move.

If first gear is tanking and 5th is all in, Spurs are going to be in 2nd or 3rd next year, which is where they should be. They're looking for a Jrue or a Brunson to pair with Wemby

The spurs do have a choice all they have to do is tell wemby look at shai to show the benefits of letting the roster grow naturally then show luka to show how forcing it leads to disaster

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lid posted:

Everyone's talking about Trae to Spurs but I'm going to be more psychotic and note LeBron about to be a free agent.

hes old as balls op

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
LeBron ain't going to San Antonio.

edit: They need to go all in on Wemby. Build a team now. Figure out what works. But don't mortgage their future for anyone, especially not Trae.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 11, 2024

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Luka to Denver to be with Jokic
Murray, + to San Antonio
Spurs' this year pick and that other pick and something else to Dallas.

waves hands

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

fart simpson posted:

hes old as balls op

Wish his averages showed that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wemby is going to be too good next year for them to tank.

The exact same team even with Wemby's improvements next year is still gonna be a play-in challenger at best in the West.

Some load management DNPs here and there, some minutes restrictions, the occasional rest for nagging injuries, and the Spurs will be right back in the lottery. Making major moves now would be dumb as gently caress unless they fell rear end-backwards into a trade offer that they couldn't refuse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sag for Cooper Flagg.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Metapod posted:

The spurs do have a choice all they have to do is tell wemby look at shai to show the benefits of letting the roster grow naturally then show luka to show how forcing it leads to disaster

Shai's situation was different. He wasn't nearly as good as Wemby is now. And OKC was in a much worse spot than the Spurs are now because OKC had mortgaged everything to win with KD/Russ and then Russ/PG.

And even if the situations were the same I don't think I can in good conscious recommend that teams tank by sitting players. If there was a good way to police it I would be 100% in favor of making teams that do it pick 30th

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lid posted:

God that would be so much fun

so many lobs

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fart simpson posted:

hes old as balls op

29/9/8 with TS = 71% last night

I'd love to be old like that

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Spurs should get a PG, but don't need to go all in.

Probably shouldn't be Trae, but someone capable of passing and getting them into sets

The thing about Shai is that he was the lead guard so he could get better with just on ball reps

Bigs need a respectable lead guard/point guard generally to develop. And to make things easy and less stressful for them.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Ricky Rubio come back to the NBA and have a fun international buddy cop movie with Wemby

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
march has not been kind to nba bigs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

temple posted:

LeBron ain't going to San Antonio.

edit: They need to go all in on Wemby. Build a team now. Figure out what works. But don't mortgage their future for anyone, especially not Trae.

This is kinda contradictory. "Go all in" means "Spend your assets" which means "Mortgage your future". I think you mean this:

Which I agree with. Assuming they start looking for a mix of youth and mid-career fit this offseason they'll probably be in the 10-12ish seed in the West if they don't do anything extraordinary. I think they try to grab a young promising player, ideally guard, at a decent price if they can (including future picks), but don't go nuts trying to force something. If you can get your Brunson or FVV or whatever equivalent you can be in 3rd gear and aim for a feisty play-in team. If you can't, you're in 2nd gear and aim for Wemby's 3rd year to be the big splash and be a better team than this year but still have growth (especially for the supporting cast) be a focus. Wemby isn't going to burn down the Spurs if they're not a contender in 2 seasons.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I don't want them to steal him, but the spurs should sign DLo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pairing wemby with a ball-dominant guard like trae may not be the best move from a development perspective since that would probably take away reps where he can be a jokic-esque point center, which he has shown flashes of being able to do

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shear Modulus posted:

pairing wemby with a ball-dominant guard like trae may not be the best move from a development perspective since that would probably take away reps where he can be a jokic-esque point center, which he has shown flashes of being able to do

No it doesn't. Jamal Murray is a ball dominant guard.

Having two ball handlers or passers/connectors, one being a Big, is easily doable. And wouldn't stunt his development but would actually help him learn how to better play and be a connector off of good guards.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

trivia: which players have fallen down the most and the least (per touch).

most:

fewest:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

shocking omission of Embiid

Maybe he only shows up in Total Falls and not Falls per touch

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I kinda think Trae might be a perfect fit for both the Spurs and Trae but it definitely has meltdown potential. I think it will depend a lot on what pick San Antonio gets this draft and what they think they can do with that player.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

shocking omission of Embiid

Maybe he only shows up in Total Falls and not Falls per touch

Embiid ranks 108th out of the 455 players included in the list.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Is this 'falling down while they have the ball' or does it count jumping for loose balls too?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

dokmo posted:

Embiid ranks 108th out of the 455 players included in the list.

What about per minute falls? F/36?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

snyprmag posted:

Is this 'falling down while they have the ball' or does it count jumping for loose balls too?

loose ball falls count

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

What about per minute falls? F/36?

most

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

dokmo posted:

trivia: which players have fallen down the most and the least (per touch).

most:

gotta get big Taj into The Program to keep him safe

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

anakha posted:

The exact same team even with Wemby's improvements next year is still gonna be a play-in challenger at best in the West.

Some load management DNPs here and there, some minutes restrictions, the occasional rest for nagging injuries, and the Spurs will be right back in the lottery. Making major moves now would be dumb as gently caress unless they fell rear end-backwards into a trade offer that they couldn't refuse.

they have 24 hours to fill up and they don't even have the benefit of covering real news

the spurs have been patient with this rebuild, they're not going all in just because zach lowe and his receding hairline think they need to push up the timeline because wemby is "too good" or whatever. that's not how any of this poo poo has ever worked even in "the era of player empowerment tm"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

Declan MacManus posted:

they have 24 hours to fill up and they don't even have the benefit of covering real news

the spurs have been patient with this rebuild, they're not going all in just because zach lowe and his receding hairline think they need to push up the timeline because wemby is "too good" or whatever. that's not how any of this poo poo has ever worked even in "the era of player empowerment tm"

I went and listened to the podcast and it really does not sound like what he's saying

Here's a rough transcript:

Zach Lowe posted:

Brian Windhorst, who knows Victor, said on TV…he wants that gap to be narrower between those two teams next season. Right now it's like a 30-win gap, you don't see that type of gap narrowed that much in one offseason. I think that has been wrongly taken in other corners of the media…who have taken it and implied that the Spurs are on the clock, that the Spurs are under pressure…that he could demand a trade. The Spurs are looking at that and are like 'Where is this coming from?'"

He's a rookie. He wants to win — that's true. He would like team to be better — that's true. He would like the team to make moves this offseason, I'm sure, like any good player, to give him more players that can pass him the ball in functional ways. That is so far removed from like "UH OH, THE SPURS ARE ON THE CLOCK WITH VICTOR." He's stoked to be on the Spurs, he's so happy to be on the Spurs.

Here's what I really mean: if he is impatient, I'm not taking that as a threat if I'm the Spurs. I'm taking it as an opportunity. You know why? Because this dude is so goddamned good already that he's actually ready to win whether we're want to or not…

This is what happens with generational superstars…You become so good so fast that it doesn't even really matter what you want or how patient you want to be…they are not going to leave you a choice. You are going to develop on their timetable because they are going to drag your rear end there…

This is not a threat to the Spurs. I have heard nobody within the Spurs say they are worried in any possible way other than "we are kind of excited to explore what guards that are three or four years older than Wemanyama actually fit with our timetable because he's going to make our timetable his timetable."

not exactly a hot take and basically what everyone here is saying?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Shai's situation was different. He wasn't nearly as good as Wemby is now. And OKC was in a much worse spot than the Spurs are now because OKC had mortgaged everything to win with KD/Russ and then Russ/PG.

And even if the situations were the same I don't think I can in good conscious recommend that teams tank by sitting players. If there was a good way to police it I would be 100% in favor of making teams that do it pick 30th

Okc was not in a worse spot as they got all their assets the same offseason they got shai.
The spurs don't need to tank but they need more lottery talent there is zero rush to put a contender around a 19 year old

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

that’s a lol

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1767201731270599121

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

They spelled decision correctly DIRECTLY ABOVE where they spelled it wrong and it is doing my head in. I'm going to assume that the sculptor that they contracted actually hates Kobe and sabotaged the project on purpose and for that reason I applaud them and their efforts.