Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Infinitum posted:

I am extremely good at blowing up teammates

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nuebot posted:

Some more weird spawn poo poo: I was doing a level 2 difficulty mission to clear some daily objectives and there were devastators palling around with every pack of dudes. Not a single strider in sight.

That level of variation is just normal. Missions can get very biased towards certain enemies.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Cheap Shot posted:

This doesn't solve that particular issue, but I was wondering maybe a combo of both might look good?

like this?

i like this

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

That level of variation is just normal. Missions can get very biased towards certain enemies.

I was just surprised to see them on difficulty 2 at all, or is that normal?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I was just surprised to see them on difficulty 2 at all, or is that normal?

Ergh. Sorry. I literally read that twice and still missed the 2. No. Not supposed to happen, but the lack of scout striders can happen just from rng.

If it was a 'Kill Devastator" mission then there's some bugs with that. Like a Kill Bile Titans mission can have bile titans show in patrols for some reason.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm also fully sluggerpilled now, it's so nice to have a brood commander charging at you and give it one shot that sends it reeling back. Great for chainsaw boys as well. You can even one shot devastators if you hit them in the head. I can't wait to try out the plasma shotgun, I'm hoping it'll be great for bugs.

Also hoping they don't fix supercredit farming on trivial missions. If they're gonna release a thousand cred warbond every month, it's nice to have the option to spend a bit of tedium farming rather than the cash. I'm sure with the success of the game they'll have enough whales to subsidize the rest of us.
Do you rate it over the Scorcher? That replaced the Breaker for me, but if I get swarmed I either have to break out the secondary or blow myself up, which I have done on multiple occasions.

Also found out yesterday that there is a cap on medals of 250. Why? Who knows, but that's what it is. I was saving up in preparation for the new Warbond, but I guess that's as far as I can go. :smith:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Durzel posted:

Do you rate it over the Scorcher? That replaced the Breaker for me, but if I get swarmed I either have to break out the secondary or blow myself up, which I have done on multiple occasions.

Also found out yesterday that there is a cap on medals of 250. Why? Who knows, but that's what it is. I was saving up in preparation for the new Warbond, but I guess that's as far as I can go. :smith:

They knew you were saving up and did it, specifically, for you.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Bastards!

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Durzel posted:

Specifically so people can't buy the entire warbond day 1 and then bitch about a lack of new content.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How much does the new warbond cost? I thought you had to use super cash, not medals.

E: ah whoops I misunderstood, preparing to unlock everything not buy it. How much is it in super bucks anyway?

Molrok
May 30, 2011

JBP posted:

How much does the new warbond cost? I thought you had to use super cash, not medals.

E: ah whoops I misunderstood, preparing to unlock everything not buy it. How much is it in super bucks anyway?

If I've understood right: ONE THOUSAND SUPER DOLLARS

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I'm also fully sluggerpilled now, it's so nice to have a brood commander charging at you and give it one shot that sends it reeling back. Great for chainsaw boys as well. You can even one shot devastators if you hit them in the head. I can't wait to try out the plasma shotgun, I'm hoping it'll be great for bugs.
fwiw, the punisher also staggers bugs just as well, except it does more damage per shot if most of its pellets connect.
worse against bots, but solidly better against bugs imo.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Snuffman posted:

For the first time, I saw a destroyer explode in orbit and I found out later that this is what happens when the timer runs out on a mission (hence why no more strategems).

If that's true, then how do your team extract back to it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gonna contest that assertion about the Punisher vs. bugs, yes it staggers but it doesn't penetrate at all so there's no point in using it over the Slugger once you have it. Punisher can't kill warriors and above for poo poo

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
SEAF Arty strategemes should stay available even when your super destroyer leaves low orbit. It's local, its not using your destroyer at all, so why's it not available?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

toasterwarrior posted:

Gonna contest that assertion about the Punisher vs. bugs, yes it staggers but it doesn't penetrate at all so there's no point in using it over the Slugger once you have it. Punisher can't kill warriors and above for poo poo
...aren't warriors the grey medium sized bugs? punisher can onetap those with a meatshot.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Tbf the artillery objective specifically has you establishing a communication link between it and your destroyer

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Yea its using your destroyer as a satellite or some poo poo

e: they should let you manually punch in coordinates tho

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nexus6 posted:

If that's true, then how do your team extract back to it?

reinforcement destroyers in cryo storage

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have awoken to the flamethrower against bugs. Running Punisher / Standard Frags / Eagle Airstrike / Eagle 500kg / Flamethrower / Shield Generator Pack with medium medic armor against them atm, might switch out Airstrike for the Patriot after the free one goes away. Playing on diff 7, and the flamethrower toasts chargers and spewers and versus swarms of small bugs you can lean on your shield to take advantage of the flamethrower's DPS but lack of stagger. Plus, the medic armor gives you a couple extra stims for when you inevitably set yourself on fire :v:

Now if only I could find a bot build I really liked.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Chillgamesh posted:

+Speed/Stealth has been working well for me even with the lower HP

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

LazyMaybe posted:

...aren't warriors the grey medium sized bugs? punisher can onetap those with a meatshot.

When I was testing right after the update it was around like three shots to the head for me, through it's probably the distance. That said, slugger can pop their heads from as far as you can shoot well so IMO it's still superior

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I'm starting to really like the scorcher even against bugs. It takes down almost anything fairly quickly, and can handle even chargers if you empty a mag in its butt. The splash damage is bad if you shoot at something point blank of course but for slippery enemies like hunters you can also use it to your advantage by shooting at the ground underneath their legs.

JBP posted:

IIRC they've said it was going to be a thousand supercredits but don't quote me on that. But comparing the amount of content it has to the current supercredit warbond it's about the same so that would track.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I've been trying to figure out what special weapon of choice to run for awhile now after dropping the autocannon for the energy shield backpack to handle difficulties of 7+. The railgun seemed way too fiddly to me for needing to toggle off the safety every run and charge for a specific window of time while also trying to aim at very specific targets. The laser cannon seemed cool for the added benefit of an 'infinite' ammo backup weapon, but the time you need to have the beam on target to kill stuff makes it useless when you're sprinting through a field full-speed with a swarm of bugs right behind you. The flamethrower did an amazing job toasting chargers, but the stationary reload was awkward and using it on anything else just made the bugs slightly spicier as they tore me apart. I haven't actually tried the arc thrower yet, but the amount of times I've been team-killed by it makes me doubt it's the right way to go.

Going back to give the EATs another shot though, wow those are kind of just perfect. Like they seem like they should be bad because they're disposable and can't be restocked with ammo, but the cooldown is so absurdly short that it's usually easier for me to use EATs to close bug nests than grenades. They also let you effectively one-shot a charger from the front, hitting a leg with the rocket leaves it like ~2-3 breaker shotgun clicks from keeling over dead. Anyone know how many EATs it takes to get to the center of a bile titan? I've never fought one without extra damage from 500kg strikes and such.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

I have awoken to the flamethrower against bugs. Running Punisher / Standard Frags / Eagle Airstrike / Eagle 500kg / Flamethrower / Shield Generator Pack with medium medic armor against them atm, might switch out Airstrike for the Patriot after the free one goes away. Playing on diff 7, and the flamethrower toasts chargers and spewers and versus swarms of small bugs you can lean on your shield to take advantage of the flamethrower's DPS but lack of stagger. Plus, the medic armor gives you a couple extra stims for when you inevitably set yourself on fire :v:

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, mortar turret, and 380mm barrage is pretty deece. Swap out the 380mm for whatever other strike/fortification is your favourite.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Saw 3 chargers standing shoulder to shoulder in a bug nest - called em Dugtrio

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vanguard Warden posted:

The flamethrower did an amazing job toasting chargers, but the stationary reload was awkward and using it on anything else just made the bugs slightly spicier as they tore me apart.

weapons only have stationary reloads if they have ammo backpacks so uh

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

weapons only have stationary reloads if they have ammo backpacks so uh

Pretty sure the machine gun also doesn't let me move while reloading, and that doesn't have a backpack.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vanguard Warden posted:

Pretty sure the machine gun also doesn't let me move while reloading, and that doesn't have a backpack.

True, the HMG does have a stationary reload. I've reloaded the flamethrower on the move plenty of times before, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vanguard Warden posted:

I haven't used the machinegun in ages but the flamethrower definitely does not have a stationary reload.

butt pound foolish
Oct 27, 2020

Gave the Arc Thrower another chance and found out it’s incredible for bugs and decent at a minimum for bots. It used to feel really awkward to use until I learned you’re supposed to aim it above your target

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darth Walrus posted:

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, mortar turret, and 380mm barrage is pretty deece. Swap out the 380mm for whatever other strike/fortification is your favourite.

for bugs the autocannon turret is my go to in lieu of the mortar. when a breach starts, huck it a good distance away with a good LOS to the breach and it will light them up. its shots stagger and kill chargers unlike the normal AC.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is great

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

for bugs the autocannon turret is my go to in lieu of the mortar. when a breach starts, huck it a good distance away with a good LOS to the breach and it will light them up. its shots stagger and kill chargers unlike the normal AC.

Well, yeah, but I was specifically talking about an anti-bot loadout.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

IMO:

Scorcher - Kills Striders from the Front kills raiders in the chest, mag dump devs and they die / lose limbs.

Slugger or Dominator - Kills Devs with 1 or 2 headshots very chunky.

+2 Grenade Armor - Impacts solve a lot of problems vs. bots, and the recoil reduction helps when using the AC/AMR

Impacts - 1 well placed will gently caress up Heavy Devs, packs of Striders, a bit finicky vs. Fabs but that's why you have strategems or the AC.

For Strategems

110's - Kills Tanks and Turrets well, occasionally unreliable.

Eagle Airstrike - Wipes out medium bases in one go.

Then 2 of the following -

Autocannon - Kills everything as long as you're positioned and aim well

AMR + Shield Pack - Kills Hulks and Devs well, more survivable than the AC but less flexible.

GL + Shield or Supply - Up to you if you want survivability or to blow up everything.

Autocannon Turret - Pretty great firepower for defense objectives, bots are typically less numberous and melee focused so it's not as FF happy as with bugs.

Orbital Laser - Oh poo poo Button / Kills the Eye of Sauron with no muss no fuss.

EMS Mortar - Shuts down bots when it hits, and makes their accuracy poo poo. It's safe to use around friends when there's jetpack knife guys, or lots of berzerkers around unlike the regular mortar turret.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 11, 2024

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

I haven't used the machinegun in ages but the flamethrower definitely does not have a stationary reload.

Oh poo poo, just popped in game to test it and you're right. I don't know what the gently caress was going on in the run I played then, maybe I just didn't notice I was out of ammo at a coincidental moment or I mixed it up with the laser cannon heatsink reload. Or it was just another weird bug like the entire round I spent with my character's right arm alone stuck t-posing.

Chillgamesh posted:

The laser cannon is actually pretty drat good against bots in a similar capacity to the flamethrower for bugs. It's really good at blowing up glowing exhaust vents on tanks or cannons without capping out on heat, it can melt through a strider's front plate to kill the pilot in a few seconds without needing to get a better position, and you can burn out the glowing red eye on the front of hulks if you just stay on target for a bit. Needing to wait for it to cool down isn't as bad as it is for bugs either because bots don't usually rush you down as badly as bugs do.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, yeah, but I was specifically talking about an anti-bot loadout.

whoops

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I think running three orbital strikes,/eagles and a shield or just four orbital strikes / eagle is good for either bots or bugs

If you carry two AoE strikes and two single target I think that should be enough and if not you're probably fighting too much trash

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was running... for my life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The numbers on the laser cannon are solid but the fact that it doesn't stagger enemies is a big downside in my experience. I feel like you need the shield generator to safely stay out in the open and DPS