Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love Dragon's Dogma but I could never finish Bitterblack Isle, it's fun to have More Game but either I go early and sap my will to play the rest or late and wrap up the game and don't care about the isle anyway

The way the entire game is just a front for the end of the game loving rules

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Upsidads posted:

Sorry Steam but Unicorn Overlord isnt on pc at frickin all, but its a contender

when I heard it's because Vanillaware doesn't want their games on pc at all, I had a good chuckle

https://www.gamereactor.eu/vanillaware-wont-let-atlus-release-unicorn-overlord-for-pc-1367363/

holmes, people are already emulating it. just let pc gamers give you money for your games. you've got nothing to lose, atlus is willing to port your games for you

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was disappointed that my pet weapon type, big loving hammers, basically just got a linear progression of even strongerer versions of the "charge up for 10 seconds for a REALLY BIG bonk" ability.

Apparently it's a really strong ability! But also kinda borimg and awkward.

Regardless, the real DD killer is the awful UI and inventory stuff.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I picked up Talisman: Origins in the Digital Tabletop sale knowing full well what I was getting myself into (i.e. Talisman).
In the Advanced Tutorial, one of your objectives is to score a single direct combat victory over the Ogre Chieftan (5 Strength) computer player with your Dwarf (3 Strength). By turn 6, they had 7 Strength and the Sword of Truth (+1 Strength in combat, if their opponent rolls higher than them they can change their roll to a 6), and meanwhile I'd run into both the Heavenly Host and the Infernal Legion (both 10 Strength) and my best pick-up was a single bag of gold. Then the Chieftain bullied me for the next 20 rounds taking anything I managed to pick up before heading off for the Crown of Command, and the only reason that didn't lose me the game outright is because that victory condition was turned off (just shunts anybody on the space back to the Plain of Peril, even with a Talisman) but the AI still keeps trying to pursue it.
I eventually managed to catch up to them on the Plain of Peril and turned them into a Toad so that I could actually win, 54 rounds later.

The worst thing about the digital version(s) of this game is how slow all the various animations and UI selections and confirmations and AI deliberations are, but at least it will do a window flash when it's your turn and you've tabbed out.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Runa posted:

when I heard it's because Vanillaware doesn't want their games on pc at all, I had a good chuckle

https://www.gamereactor.eu/vanillaware-wont-let-atlus-release-unicorn-overlord-for-pc-1367363/

holmes, people are already emulating it. just let pc gamers give you money for your games. you've got nothing to lose, atlus is willing to port your games for you

Yeah, they've never released any of their games on PC, so it's no great surprise.

A shame though, this one is really good.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Runa posted:

Sega has been all in on PC too, so literally everyone else on the chain is okay with it other than Vanillaware.

Orv
May 4, 2011
More like VanillaSQUARE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
But Square puts their stuff on PC all the time...

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo, you’re right

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FutureCop posted:

Just as a heads up, not only has Fanatical been having a bunch of bundles lately, they've also been having daily limited-time flash sales to go along with their spring sale.

For example, today they have…Bloodstained 85% off making it $6.75

Thanks for the tip, got Bloodstained for $7

Edit:
The DD2 Character Creator is baller as gently caress! I love when devs do stuff like this…gets me much more excited and hyped for the game than some trailers or screenshots!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 11, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Talisman is the funniest game I have ever played. Setting the crown/win condition to random and having it pull a card stating, with no prior warning, "restart the entire game" after a four hour gauntlet of horseshit is the hardest I have ever laughed at anything ever

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 11, 2024

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Runa posted:

this is funny because pirating switch games is infinitely easier and safer than pc games. i didnt know anything about this game but checked it out after this post and it looks neat, something i probably wouldve waited to buy on steam.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Hwurmp posted:

Cobalt Core

Cobalt Core is great but it has basically no staying power and runs start feeling very samey halfway through the story IMO the dialogue and general writing style owns though, hopefully they can add more to it over time

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Dragons Dogma is great because the story is "theres a dragon and you will have to fight it, also sometimes there are goblins" for half the game and then it goes off a fuckign cliff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm excited about Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be just a giant open world where you find your own adventure. The game apparently has no way point markers to the next quest and poo poo, you have to talk to NPCs and gather information, and then set out into the open world and hopefully go in the right direction.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I'm excited about Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be just a giant open world where you find your own adventure. The game apparently has no way point markers to the next quest and poo poo, you have to talk to NPCs and gather information, and then set out into the open world and hopefully go in the right direction.

Didn't watch much about DD2 to avoid spoilers but the first one wasn't that big, and it had roads leading to every point of interest so no random direction required. And of course: all roads lead to Gran Soren. However, the walking everywhere and no markers made it feel huge at first. The fast travel was cool too: you eventually find 'portcrystals' that you can place wherever you want, then you can teleport back to them. So it's up to you to place your own teleport network with the limited portcrystals you have, and finding a new one feels like xmas.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

RBA Starblade posted:

Talisman is the funniest game I have ever played. Setting the crown/win condition to random and having it pull a card stating, with no prior warning, "restart the entire game" after a four hour gauntlet of horseshit is the hardest I have ever laughed at anything ever

that game is an unbalanced piece of garbage and that has never once bothered me in the dozens of hours I've sunk into it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Talisman is an garbage game that people will not stop bringing up, ala Monopoly, but at least Monopoly has an effective and reliable strategy you can use to make the game extra boring for everyone, as intended by the game's designer, so that they'll never bring it up again.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pwnstar posted:

Dragons Dogma is great because the story is "theres a dragon and you will have to fight it, also sometimes there are goblins" for half the game and then it goes off a fuckign cliff.

That's a good thing in this game when things go down the cliff, right? :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Somebody needs to tell EA you can sell bundled games independently, cause I'm ready to shell out cash for a working copy of Red Alert 2 but I sure don't care about any other game in this package.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Somebody needs to tell EA you can sell bundled games independently, cause I'm ready to shell out cash for a working copy of Red Alert 2 but I sure don't care about any other game in this package.

been saying this

and also that if you can only get the C&C games in a bundle maybe you should just sell them as a single collection and not flood the steam storefront (they're doing it intentionally)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Runa posted:

been saying this

What the gently caress.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've never played Tiberian Sun, so maybe that one's worth checking out, but Red Alert 2's the one I grew up with. That's where the nostalgia lives.

Red Alert 3 sucked (except for the cutscenes) and I'm not interested in any other C&C games that came out around that time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean, okay that's fair but it's Tiberian Sun. Tiberian Sun has always been the best one. Play it.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Tiberian Sun's soundstrack is pretty drat good, too. It has this kinda moody vibe.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Tiberian Sun has the best atmosphere of all the C&C games. It's a very vibes-based RTS with great music.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bad Seafood posted:

I've never played Tiberian Sun, so maybe that one's worth checking out, but Red Alert 2's the one I grew up with. That's where the nostalgia lives.

Red Alert 3 sucked (except for the cutscenes) and I'm not interested in any other C&C games that came out around that time.

lmao i bought red alert 3 just on this video and i'm not too sure i even played past the first level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIRPcICB-iY

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Orv posted:

I mean, okay that's fair but it's Tiberian Sun. Tiberian Sun has always been the best one. Play it.
Sure, when I can buy it and Red Alert 2 separately from the rest of it.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lmao i bought red alert 3 just on this video and i'm not too sure i even played past the first level

Red Alert 3's cutscenes are unironically some of the best video game cutscenes of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Why did you feel that RA3 sucked, might I ask?

edit: Tiberian Sun has great flavour, but boy howdy is playing it nowadays rather rough.

Orv
May 4, 2011
RA3 has incredible FMV but everything else about it is fairly lackluster - unit design, combat balance, campaign missions - and it just doesn't reach the level of that whole "RA2 how you remember it, not how it was" thing that they were clearly going for.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Runa posted:

Someone high up on the Vanillaware hierarchy has a bad case of boomer brain and not realizing how much the industry has changed since the late 2000s and early 2010s.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Runa posted:

Free 13 Sentinels so more people can experience it, you dinosaur fucks!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

Why did you feel that RA3 sucked, might I ask?
Going off what I remember (it's been over a decade since I last played it), the core mechanics felt competent but unremarkable, and the focus on co-op (with an AI buddy otherwise) funneled the mission design into a series of set patterns...except when they broke up their incredibly short mission list (seven per faction) with missions where you control a small, pre-determined squad instead of building a base. I barely tolerated those missions in Red Alert 2 and hated them in Warcraft 3, so Red Alert 3 wasn't doing me any favors.

Also, this one's personal taste, but I've never been able to jive with 3D RTS games. I like the isometric pixel-look of Age of Empires, Red Alert, and Stronghold, but once you go 3D I feel like I'm playing with big, plastic toys.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I like Tiberian Sun quite a lot, but it did always feel a little too visually grimy and muddy for me, and like all the units have a little too much health proportionate to their firepower which makes the actual fighting feel less satisfying. Also the landscape getting deformed by explosions was obviously a big marketing feature, but in practice it makes it really annoying to do stuff like deploy units since they require even ground to do it, which leads to a lot of annoying micromanagement trying to get your squad of Tick Tanks or whatever to actually find the exact right spot where they finally agree to do it. In RA2 you just group select deployables and press the button and it just works very smoothly.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Selenephos posted:

Someone high up on the Vanillaware hierarchy has a bad case of boomer brain and not realizing how much the industry has changed since the late 2000s and early 2010s.

They're a little less likely to get Stardewed or Volcano Princessed so Vanillaware may never learn about the millions they're leaving on the table

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This is the first time I hear of these people tbh (this is the Steam thread, not the handheld weebs thread). Are their games actually worth emulating?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

This is the first time I hear of these people tbh (this is the Steam thread, not the handheld weebs thread). Are their games actually worth emulating?

Allegedly all of their games are good but I only played 13 Sentinels and that game has one of the best sci-fi stories I've ever seen. Ever.
The annoying thing is that I can't talk about it because it's all spoilers but I'll just say that if you'd have any interest in a sci-fi mystery story, it's a must play, and don't let the anime visuals fool you.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I didn't not know Takei said All Your Base Are Belong To Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

13 Sentinels rules