Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/1766983555291193813

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

auschwitz...good?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the speech was really great btw

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i watched The Green Knight and i gotta say - hosed up that Barry Keoghan did that poo poo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i watched The Green Knight and i gotta say - hosed up that Barry Keoghan did that poo poo

Same with Saltburn

man's really got a monopoly on hosed up little guy roles right now

well him and Dano I guess

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

i watched and i gotta say - hosed up that Barry Keoghan did that poo poo
Evergreen Barry statement

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The thing where instead of showing clips of the performances they had other actors come on stage and say nice things about the nominees was super dumb

with the exception of Nic Cage's speech about Paul Giamatti. That one owned

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Same with Saltburn

man's really got a monopoly on hosed up little guy roles right now

well him and Dano I guess

Knight posted:

Evergreen Barry statement

if you see a man that looks like him, you are in for a hosed up journey that's gonna make you doubt how much you really enjoy life

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Gonna be real bad is my guess

Worked out well for all Beavis & Butthead reboots. I love the classics but the writing was just noticeably stronger and funnier in the later versions.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol owned

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

reminder

https://x.com/jpodhoretz/status/1718776653302702208?s=20

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cillian Murphy, Barry Keoghan, Jeremy Allen White, and Daniel Radcliffe in a movie about just some guys being vaguely handsome yet charismatic weird lookin' little dudes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

and people think i have hysterical takes about poor things!

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Barry Keoghan played a pilot from Oklahoma with a Brooklyn accent in Masters of the Air.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Why is he discussing Nakba war crimes? :thunk:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

impossible not to read this in the cadence of a soy TikTok news guy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I can't help but read it with the "they got sand in the potato salad" inflection

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

impossible not to read this in the cadence of a soy TikTok news guy

Reminds of the M*A*S*H "IT WAS A BABY!" quote.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I can't help but read it with the "they got sand in the potato salad" inflection

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

its weird to look back in retrospect and think that the sims was originally conceived as just being add on content for simcity 2000 like i cant imagine that computers from that era could have realistically simulated the sort of granular details necessary to have the sims content meaningfully influence the larger simcity landscape

https://twitter.com/itstheshadsy/status/1535292346702745603

maybe it would be possible to do such a game today but the simcity and the sims target consumers are such radically different audiences its hard to imagine who such a project would really appeal to

Not really? SimCity used to be super popular with casual audiences, it was never really a complex thing, and a ton of the audience also got into The Sims. IIRC, SimCity 3000 or 4 had some integrated features?

People really forget how much the industry basically created artificial dividers for its audience- yeah, very much hyperfocusing on the young male audience and their supposed likes and dumping everyone else in the Kiddies And Casuals bin, despite it being pretty obvious that wasn't how it worked. Marketing brain is absolutely fixated on the concept of Marketing Demographics, I swear, it's their own form of phrenology. Probably something to be explored about that.

Feels like in the 10s there was a bit of a sea change, probably not helped by the whole Discourse around video games getting maximally stupid til it collapsed, and indie revivals of genres and series that the mainstream industry had abandoned along with the return of the middleware developer. I think devs also eventually realised that nothing that's not Call of Duty or Battlefield is actually going to match Call of Duty or Battlefield's numbers.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how many play hours of the sims would you need to have enough to model a functioning city tho

or would it work more as an option to try to figure out if your city is at all pleasant to live in by just living a day in the life and seeing if anything is working like its supposed to on the individual level

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

is he talking about Aronofsky's 'Mother!'

I know he had a stint as a movie critic until he became notorious for being such a massive entitled pain in the rear end Chapo went out of their way to get him blacklisted at theatres and restaurants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8CJm20GPcw

Durf has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Mar 11, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

People really forget how much the industry basically created artificial dividers for its audience- yeah, very much hyperfocusing on the young male audience and their supposed likes and dumping everyone else in the Kiddies And Casuals bin, despite it being pretty obvious that wasn't how it worked. Marketing brain is absolutely fixated on the concept of Marketing Demographics, I swear, it's their own form of phrenology. Probably something to be explored about that.
marketing brain should also include the concept of four-quadrant movies, so it kinda sounds like the marketers weren't even particularly knowledgeable about their chosen profession/smart enough to conceive of applying that to a non-movie business.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

marketing brain should also include the concept of four-quadrant movies, so it kinda sounds like the marketers weren't even particularly knowledgeable about their chosen profession/smart enough to conceive of applying that to a non-movie business.

well fortunately movies are such an established art form of collective complexity that we can be rest assured this industry will never fall prey to the narcissistic fad of assuming that all marketing can be simplified to focus groups

anyway in an unrelated topic did you hear how tyler perry decided he doesnt actually need a studio because artificial intelligence is so amazing??? i cant wait for this new technology to solve the current industry slump once and for sll

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

look you gotta trust cerys and throw that baby in

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

well fortunately movies are such an established art form of collective complexity that we can be rest assured this industry will never fall prey to the narcissistic fad of assuming that all marketing can be simplified to focus groups
but that's literally the basis of the four-quadrant idea. my point is that gaming marketing was somehow even stupider, self-limiting by assuming a product could only appeal to one group at a time.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They were doing all kinds of Sim 2000 Gameatic Universe stuff, the phenomenal Streets of Sim City and SimCopter could both load up your 2k city savegame and being blown away flying/driving around my cities as a kid was the coolest drat thing.

Speaking of chasing old highs I watched Master and Commander for the first time since I saw it in theaters at release. As awesome as I remembered, but I had forgotten how good the music was.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Punished Turtle posted:

Speaking of chasing old highs I watched Master and Commander for the first time since I saw it in theaters at release. As awesome as I remembered, but I had forgotten how good the music was.

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis *swoons*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Scott_Bromley/status/1766897176507269595

I'm just looking for an excuse to repost one of the greatest bits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhVbLJvYP8s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Punished Turtle posted:

They were doing all kinds of Sim 2000 Gameatic Universe stuff, the phenomenal Streets of Sim City and SimCopter could both load up your 2k city savegame and being blown away flying/driving around my cities as a kid was the coolest drat thing.

Yeah, a pity the technology, or at least Maxis' development chops/budget, really just wasn't there yet at the time.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

but that's literally the basis of the four-quadrant idea. my point is that gaming marketing was somehow even stupider, self-limiting by assuming a product could only appeal to one group at a time.

Yep, apparently just because they had no idea how to market video games at first so they threw them under 'toys for boys 8-16' or whatever and literally never updated any assumptions for like 30 years. And everything since has been a weird desperate stupid scramble to catch up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

reminds me of this

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Nonsense posted:

Hanks gone woke!

somebody is sincerely gonna say this at some point, I'm just wondering what its gonna be about

they did surgery on a grape

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Plank Walker posted:

The publishers decided in the 00s that the market for video games in the US was entirely spike tv viewers/male 18-25 demographic. People were fuming mad that Wind Waker had colorful graphics and outside of Nintendo, no one was even trying to make games that weren't washed in some shade of brown in the name of "realism".

This and other comments are good observations - I'd forgotten that back in even the late 90s, computer games were something you could just do and there wasn't such a strong idea of what "a gamer" was. I had friends buying high-end video cards to play sometime but I also remember a varied bunch of us laughing over playing Wolfenstein on university computers and a boss lending me a CD of Civilization. It feels like it very suddenly became a Hobby. Boardgaming did a similar thing, where it became all about marketing to the grognards, and making these brutally complex games that were inaccessible.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what would you do if your son was at home
sleeping all day til the daylight gone
cuz he's lazy
and the only way to Knight him was to
summon a Knight who is made out of the forest
who will chop off his head

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nonathlon posted:

This and other comments are good observations - I'd forgotten that back in even the late 90s, computer games were something you could just do and there wasn't such a strong idea of what "a gamer" was. I had friends buying high-end video cards to play sometime but I also remember a varied bunch of us laughing over playing Wolfenstein on university computers and a boss lending me a CD of Civilization. It feels like it very suddenly became a Hobby. Boardgaming did a similar thing, where it became all about marketing to the grognards, and making these brutally complex games that were inaccessible.

most of those people just play cellphone games now or some nintendo or whatever

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

nonathlon posted:

Boardgaming did a similar thing, where it became all about marketing to the grognards, and making these brutally complex games that were inaccessible.

there are many board games that are simple and accessible for people who don't play a lot of them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Green Knight is a good movie about how if someone gives you a green protective sash that will ward off death, you should tie it around your head as a bandana like Big Boss instead of around your waist like your mommy told you. It's cooler to tie it around your head.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

there are many board games that are simple and accessible for people who don't play a lot of them

Wingspan ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah they made a Starter Kit for Advanced Squad Leader that isn't as complicated as full ASL